Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

LesterGroans posted:

Upstream Color is one of the best movies of the 21st century and a much better "proto-Malick" than Ain't Them Bodies Saints. Which is a shame, because I had high hopes for that.

Upstream Color is seriously incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

flashy_mcflash posted:

For what it's worth, I wrote a review of this doc a few weeks ago and was EXPLICITLY and REPEATEDLY told by the distributor and publisher not to reveal the 'twist' of the movie in the piece. I think the trailer communicates that something more than tickling is afoot (heh) here as well as it can without actually saying so.

Unrelated, here's the new trailer for the new Simon Barrett/Adam Wingard joint, The Woods, which looks scary as heck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMEgSLetjHw

This this phenomenal. I love this resurgence of indie/low budget horror films lately.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Assassin's Creed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfJVoF5ko1Y

Never played it, but certainly looks like another nonsensical video game adaptation to me.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

A trailer making a big dramatic button to the trailer be one of the goofiest aspects of the game - diving off tall things into a cart full of hay - is applaudable in a really, really dumb way.

But yeah this is going to be very pretty and incredibly nonsensical. Which might make it great! But based on every other foray into video game movies, not very likely.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Barret and Wingard are so good at this movie thing guys, so good.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

feedmyleg posted:

Assassin's Creed

Never played it, but certainly looks like another nonsensical video game adaptation to me.

The games are fair but insist on injecting this nonsense b plot in the present/near future of unlocking memories through DNA and poo poo. It's worthless and largely hated. No idea why they had to include that, just make the movie about medieval assassins and whatever, is that not interesting enough?

Also Michael Fassbinder is excellent in everything and will elevate this. Enough?/probably not. But some.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

feedmyleg posted:

Assassin's Creed

It's Justin Kurzel and the same lead cast he had for Macbeth so I'm excited even if the games are pretty dumb.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Ammanas posted:

The games are fair but insist on injecting this nonsense b plot in the present/near future of unlocking memories through DNA and poo poo. It's worthless and largely hated. No idea why they had to include that, just make the movie about medieval assassins and whatever, is that not interesting enough?

its the best part & i dont care about ubisoft's watered down version of history nearly as much as the weird centuries-spanning off-brand illuminatus alien stuff that is technically the backbone of the story but never comes through as much as it should in the games.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

its the best part & i dont care about ubisoft's watered down version of history nearly as much as the weird centuries-spanning off-brand illuminatus alien stuff that is technically the backbone of the story but never comes through as much as it should in the games.

in the games the illuminati stop trying to emd the world and decide to use the animus to make video games lol

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Upstream Color is serious doodoo.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
as long as we agree it's serious

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
why the hell is the animus a thing that pointlessly lifts fastbender in the air? poo poo looks stupid

and yeah even as a fan of those games (in the past, the series is garbage now) the animus stuff is pretty much universally hated, I expect the same from the film

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The ac trailer actually looks insanely good wtf? Digging the whole aesthetic vibe they are putting down there. Wanna see fassbender fassbending around parkour style.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I can bet that the reviews will say the plot's an incomprehensible mess but they'll praises the look of the film.

They should have left the animus stuff out or atleast not made it even more silly with a VR crane machine thing, but I suppose that's more interesting to see than Fassbender asleep on a table for half the movie.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Deakul posted:

I can bet that the reviews will say the plot's an incomprehensible mess but they'll praises the look of the film.
Sounds like an accurate adaptation to me

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The only thing the trailer has done is encouraged me to finally play Brotherhood, which came with my video card in 2012.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
the ezio trilogy is pretty much the only good thing to come out of that series

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I like the music choice

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I have no idea whether it's thematically appropriate for Assassin's Creed because I know jack poo poo about those games, but it's a spooky and badass track so I'm all for it in this broody, stylized action movie. For those who know more about the franchise, what makes the song stick out like a sore thumb?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Deakul posted:

They should have left the animus stuff out or atleast not made it even more silly with a VR crane machine thing, but I suppose that's more interesting to see than Fassbender asleep on a table for half the movie.

If they had to include a VR suspension machine then they should have really committed to the idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWLHIusLWOc

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

cat doter posted:

why the hell is the animus a thing that pointlessly lifts fastbender in the air? poo poo looks stupid

In the games the animus is just a chair/bed and you get connected and relive memories and poo poo then after too much use the "abilities" start bleeding through to the present. They're obviously going for the same idea but by having the animus be this VR room where Fassbender's character has to "move" and jump and poo poo his body will be in and getting trained/exercise so when he escapes in the end it'll make sense that he's a super assassin in the present.

Which makes it really convenient that they equipped him with two real hidden blades in the present to aid with his "VR" because that's obviously not going to backfire.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The problem with using I am a God is that I really want to see Kanye himself in the movie now and I know I'll be let down.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

The problem with using I am a God is that I really want to see Kanye himself in the movie now and I know I'll be let down.
Kanye is a bad actor. You're not missing out.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Has he ever dive bombed off a building to knife someone in the neck? Because that's what I want to see him do. In the movie or real life, whatever.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

cat doter posted:

the ezio trilogy is pretty much the only good thing to come out of that series

The modern day parts sucked, but AC4 was awesome just cruising around being a pirate.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Jenny Angel posted:

Yeah I have no idea whether it's thematically appropriate for Assassin's Creed because I know jack poo poo about those games, but it's a spooky and badass track so I'm all for it in this broody, stylized action movie. For those who know more about the franchise, what makes the song stick out like a sore thumb?

Video game nerds hate Kanye.

I will say, while watching the trailer I enjoyed the song's use in theory but not necessarily in execution. Like, while it was playing I was thinking "oh, cool, 'I Am a God' would make a good trailer song" while being pretty indifferent to its use in this trailer.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

in the games the illuminati stop trying to emd the world and decide to use the animus to make video games lol

These ubisoft guys are creative as hell!!!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It could be worse but that looks ok. It's not like AC is some treasured concept and as mentioned, the only good thing to come out of it was the Ezio stories.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

The modern day parts sucked, but AC4 was awesome just cruising around being a pirate.

Please don't talk about pirating on this forum.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Trailer was good until Kanye's voice showed up.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Scyantific posted:

Trailer was good until Kanye's voice showed up.

Much like his music :smug:

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

GonSmithe posted:

Upstream Color is seriously incredible.

Yes! It's absolutely stunning.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Jack's Flow posted:

Yes! It's absolutely stunning.

:agreed: but at the same time I would not blame anyone for thinking it was just a bit silly

see also: The Fountain

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Clipperton posted:

:agreed: but at the same time I would not blame anyone for thinking it was just a bit silly

see also: The Fountain

Yeah, I agree. I love both of those movies, and I have recommended them to a lot of friends... with mixed results.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Jack's Flow posted:

Yeah, I agree. I love both of those movies, and I have recommended them to a lot of friends... with mixed results.

Carruth seems to give even less of a poo poo than Aronofsky about whether the audience is along for the ride, which is kind of impressive

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

nerds hate Kanye.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Nerds like Kanye, actually.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Some nerds like Kanye, others don't, much like every other demographic

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I notice a very visceral instant reaction from nerds/dorks/white people/people on the internet/people with bad taste/whatever you want to call them/, though that's mostly to any sort of hip hop music being mixed with their crappy media.

I hope they make a new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie reboot and cast Kanye West as every Ninja Turtle so that the resulting aneurysms will improve the gene pool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm not convinced that the weird arm thing is actually supposed to be the Animus and it isn't just one of those things where they needed something flashy for the trailer so they edited it to make it look like they were talking about that thing.

• Locked thread