Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Walrus posted:

anyone not playing this on the hardest available difficulty off the hop? also any word on the difficulty names?

I know for a fact that I've seen Hurt Me Plenty and Nightmare listed as difficulty levels, so I'm going to assume that they're keeping with that gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApocalypseMeow
Mar 4, 2008

I love the smell of Catnip in the morning....Smells like Victory.

A.o.D. posted:

I know for a fact that I've seen Hurt Me Plenty and Nightmare listed as difficulty levels, so I'm going to assume that they're keeping with that gimmick.

I heard that there's Ultra Nightmare which also includes Perma Death AKA if you die it's back to square one?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Tonight's the night boys!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

So basically I can go to snapmap mode and see what monsters are in the game straight away?
I wonder if id put a restriction in place where you'd have to kill those monsters first in the campaign before using them in snapmap, cos I can see a bunch of spider mastermind screenshots appearing straight away on the net and ruining the magic for some.

I think so. It did seem like you have to unlock a few things in SnapMap, which is dumb and was a problem with Mario Maker, but then it also seemed like it was just dumb things like map icons and things, so you might start out with all monsters unlocked or you might have to play campaign or just waste time in SnapMap to unlock them, we dunno.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Calling it now: the game ends on a DOOM 2 cliffhanger

I've been calling this sequel Retard 4-2.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
R4M2

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

*beep*

It's midnight. Not released yet.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
When can us temporary Australians unlock this game?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Tenzarin posted:

When can us temporary Australians unlock this game?

Right now.

:getin:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm decrypting :D

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm at work you bastards :argh: I'll have to check it on my lunch break in a couple hours

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Deakul posted:

Right now.

:getin:

Ok so when I get home from work.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'll be done in 10 min, SSD fury. Near 100MB per second :smug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

AmazonGames is streaming Doom right now

https://www.twitch.tv/amazongames

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I don't even care if it sucks I had to buy this. Its called Doom. See you guys in retard hell I guess.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

InterFaced posted:

I don't even care if it sucks I had to buy this. Its called Doom. See you guys in retard hell I guess.

:same:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

InterFaced posted:

:thumbsup: tonight we dine in hell

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Ok so for people watching the streams, what's the ratio of arenas to, well, regular old Doom style fighting?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I heard Beth stopped early review code going out. Is that a bad sign?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

InterFaced posted:

It's actually called Retard 4 though :confused:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Ok so for people watching the streams, what's the ratio of arenas to, well, regular old Doom style fighting?

So far the intro hasn't had many arenas at all which is good, but I think its just because this is the intro level.

Everybody's streaming on console :smith:

Martian surface looks pretty cool at least.

Cactus posted:

Sorta. Beth kinda has a bad relationship with game journalists, they've gotten into fights with IGN and Kotaku and others over how they reviewed their games, and basically threw a hissyfit and said "you guys ain't ever getting an early review copy ever again :cry:"

With Doom they didn't give anybody an early copy, but even if they did they wouldn't give it to most anybody because of how Bethesda are.

They're just really loving bad at marketing their own games. See our previous discussions.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey guys, if you ever wanted video evidence of the worst, most infuriating, objectively terrible videogame player of all time, Polygon as always has you covered:-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9yYp8ZeQ-I8

I had to stop watching after a minute because I was gnashing my teeth to death. It's like handing the game to a guy who's never played a game in his life:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys, if you ever wanted video evidence of the worst, most infuriating, objectively terrible videogame player of all time, Polygon as always has you covered:-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9yYp8ZeQ-I8

I had to stop watching after a minute because I was gnashing my teeth to death. It's like handing the game to a guy who's never played a game in his life:

:wtc: his aim is so bad. This is like watching your dad try to play halo when he doesn't even understand the controls and has never held a controller before.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Pretty much says it all tbh.

E: Are they still in the business of writing reviews about how you should be able to talk to the demons and by fighting the forces of hell you're literally punching down?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

God gently caress, I go to work in 2 1/2 hours, this is the longest decrypting of my life. :negative:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

They're just really loving bad at marketing their own games. See our previous discussions.

Yeah it's insane how hard they bungled it. That MP beta was so lame and unremarkable it probably did more harm than good and then they didn't start showing the campaign properly until like three weeks ago. I've been seeing multiple people today post that Nvidia video saying "holy poo poo this game actually looks good maybe????". On the day of the game's release. Like they almost could not have hosed it up harder.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Cool, it still has the beta issue of the opening logos being laggy pieces of poo poo that lock up.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Zaphod42 posted:

:thumbsup: tonight we dine in hell

Tonight we gonna party like its 1993. (I was a retard then too)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Deakul posted:

Cool, it still has the beta issue of the opening logos being laggy pieces of poo poo that lock up.

That's actually been an ongoing thing with all Bethesda games, since at least Skyrim. The first time the Bethesda logo plays it's doing something in the background that absolutely cannot be interrupted or paused. It's generally fine afterwards.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You know I never even thought of getting this until watching some early parts of the single player just streaming. This game is so hilariously violent, superhypermuscle bound lead, and it's like the metal video ever. I'm officialy intrigued now. Granted the idea of getting this for SP only is probably really dumb, right?

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

gfanikf posted:

You know I never even thought of getting this until watching some early parts of the single player just streaming. This game is so hilariously violent, superhypermuscle bound lead, and it's like the metal video ever. I'm officialy intrigued now. Granted the idea of getting this for SP only is probably really dumb, right?

That's my justification. I figure the map editor should keep me busy.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

gfanikf posted:

It honestly seems less dumb than buying it expecting the MP to add any significant amount of value :v:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

gfanikf posted:

Why would it be dumb? Buying Wolfenstein: TNO for the single player only wasn't dumb. What would be dumb would be to not buy a good single player game just because it has a lovely multiplayer mode you'll never play anyway.

Of course the dumbest thing of all is being video game studio and spending the resources making a lovely multiplayer mode just for the bullet point for shareholder reports.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

gfanikf posted:

Nah that's the only reason to get it. Multi was built by Certain Affinity so it plays like watered-down piss.

If $60 for a singleplayer only game is too much for you I can understand that. But the only reason TO get the game is for the single player only, IMO.

E: And Co-op on SnapMaps, I guess. That could be fun.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I think my plan is to play through the single player campaign, then live in SnapMap for a good long while.

Seems like the only bad thing about it is that you can't string multiple levels together to create your own campaigns as far as we know.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

The Walrus posted:

anyone not playing this on the hardest available difficulty off the hop?

I'm going, like every game, to play it on whatever is Normal/Medium is.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I have played it. It is good. The opening is amazing. Doom is good.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Tony Montana posted:

I have played it. It is good. The opening is amazing. Doom is good.

Is it actually good though? like is it fast, fun, etc? what can you tell us about the way combat works?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cactus posted:

it is a bad sign but the two UNOFFICIAL WHAT THE gently caress pieces of single player PC footage we've gotten looked good, but it takes like 1 day to wait for people to start saying it's bad before you buy

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

That was a pretty drat fun first mission, this plays pretty much like Brutal Doom!

RIP AND TEAR IS CANON

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Deakul posted:

That was a pretty drat fun first mission, this plays pretty much like Brutal Doom!

:rip: