Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeviathanGunship
Dec 6, 2004

I'll be honest, I don't entirely understand where this leaves us.

Question for anyone else who has a Moto X Pure Editon: has anyone else experience a small blue dot in the center of lower center of the screen? It seem to be an issue that others have dealt with and I've already run a stuck pixel fixer and reset the device, but that does not seem to work. I was wondering if anyone else here has dealt with this issue and if there was a fix other than returning the phone to Motorola for a warranty replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

LeviathanGunship posted:

Question for anyone else who has a Moto X Pure Editon: has anyone else experience a small blue dot in the center of lower center of the screen? It seem to be an issue that others have dealt with and I've already run a stuck pixel fixer and reset the device, but that does not seem to work. I was wondering if anyone else here has dealt with this issue and if there was a fix other than returning the phone to Motorola for a warranty replacement.

That's what happens when the battery swells up and pushes on the screen. Their watches do it too.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

LastInLine posted:

ilkhan is right, it's the network denying you access not a problem with the phone but it should be noted that you cannot receive SMS over data, they must come over the cellular voice connection. It's integral to the protocol that they do and you can't receive them in any other way.

Not 100% true. Other than Fi which has already been mentioned, I'm on EE in the UK which has WiFi calling which is natively supported by Android (I'm guessing this is what Fi uses too?) and when I have it turned on I can get both calls and SMS over it.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Whizbang posted:

That's what happens when the battery swells up and pushes on the screen. Their watches do it too.

:stare:

My Moto 360 cracked when I gained a couple pounds and turned my wrist a weird way. Plastic :v:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I have an LG G4 that refuses to do push refresh for apps. Such as for weather apps, it's supposed to update the current weather every hour but will not actually update unless I manually refresh. Googling has turned up nothing. Is there some setting I need to change or is my phone a piece of poo poo?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bradzilla posted:

I have an LG G4 that refuses to do push refresh for apps. Such as for weather apps, it's supposed to update the current weather every hour but will not actually update unless I manually refresh. Googling has turned up nothing. Is there some setting I need to change or is my phone a piece of poo poo?

Sounds like there's something killing the process for you. Also that's not a push, it's polling at an interval. If it were push, every time the weather changed your phone would get a signal from an actual cloud telling it to update.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

How does one cause the battery to swell up on a Moto X Pure? It's usually caused by heat or damage, but absent outright neglect is battery bulging (to the point of loving with your screen) normal?

I don't have this issue, it just seems weird that it would be a cause for screen problems if the phone wasn't left in a hot car or something to begin with.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
I'm looking at switching form my old Lumia 900 to an Android phone and I was wondering if you could recommend one?

The things I need:
-It should run games like Ingress, Clash Royale and other such. I don't plan on playing any seriously 3D intensive stuff on it.
-It should have hard covers availible for it so I don't need worry about scratching the glass.
-It should preferable be able to run Nokia Here map software (I don't know if that can be had on Android, but I think it does).
-It shouldn't be an US-only device, I live in Finland so some stuff is not avalible here.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ataxerxes posted:

I'm looking at switching form my old Lumia 900 to an Android phone and I was wondering if you could recommend one?

The things I need:
-It should run games like Ingress, Clash Royale and other such. I don't plan on playing any seriously 3D intensive stuff on it.
-It should have hard covers availible for it so I don't need worry about scratching the glass.
-It should preferable be able to run Nokia Here map software (I don't know if that can be had on Android, but I think it does).
-It shouldn't be an US-only device, I live in Finland so some stuff is not avalible here.

I would recommend either a Moto X or an S7 but I honestly don't know whether those are available in FI.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Sounds like there's something killing the process for you. Also that's not a push, it's polling at an interval. If it were push, every time the weather changed your phone would get a signal from an actual cloud telling it to update.

Ok yeah, I had no idea how to describe this problem. Any idea how to fix it?

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

FAUXTON posted:

I would recommend either a Moto X or an S7 but I honestly don't know whether those are available in FI.

Thanks. I have heard good things about Oneplus series and a local carrier offers either Oneplus 2 or Oneplus X for a semi-reasonable package deal. Are either any good?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

No.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bradzilla posted:

Ok yeah, I had no idea how to describe this problem. Any idea how to fix it?

Are you running any "battery saving" apps like Greenify? Those are the most likely culprit. Are you doing anything weird like janitoring your network connectivity using Tasker or something that could be changing the radio states? You should just be leaving everything on and not disabling certain functions like wifi or location services. How are you noticing that the app hasn't updated? Is it because a widget on your home screen isn't updating? I ask because if it's by going into the app to check the weather (or whatever else you're seeing not update) you'd expect it to get fresh data on app launch. If it's a widget not updating it's likely because your launcher is being kicked out of memory. What are you doing on your phone in the period where the app should be updating? Is it idle or are you playing a game or music or navigating, etc?

Honestly it should just work. With more details you should be able to tell what's killing the app, be it a memory thing where it's being kicked out or whether something is actively going behind you and killing things it shouldn't.

Also, is this device on Marshmallow? If so, you might need to add these apps that quit on you to the Doze exclusion list.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Ataxerxes posted:

Thanks. I have heard good things about Oneplus series and a local carrier offers either Oneplus 2 or Oneplus X for a semi-reasonable package deal. Are either any good?

They get a lot of hate in this thread, but I had a OnePlus One for nearly 2 years and was perfectly happy with it until I dropped it down the toilet. The build quality was very good, (other than the fact that the screen had a slight yellow tint at one end, but then so does my Nexus 6P, and apparently a lot of them do, and even if you return it, it's a lottery as to whether you'll get a better one), I never had any issues with CyanogenMod and in fact it has some nice additions over stock Android. The camera wasn't amazing in low light but was otherwise pretty decent, all in all for the price, it was a great phone. So unless the Oneplus X/2 are a significant departure from that I would think that they're probably ok. I have a couple of friends that are still very happy with the OPO's with no plans to get rid of them.

I would say that apparently if you do have to return your phone it can be a real ball ache, though.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Are you running any "battery saving" apps like Greenify? Those are the most likely culprit. Are you doing anything weird like janitoring your network connectivity using Tasker or something that could be changing the radio states? You should just be leaving everything on and not disabling certain functions like wifi or location services. How are you noticing that the app hasn't updated? Is it because a widget on your home screen isn't updating? I ask because if it's by going into the app to check the weather (or whatever else you're seeing not update) you'd expect it to get fresh data on app launch. If it's a widget not updating it's likely because your launcher is being kicked out of memory. What are you doing on your phone in the period where the app should be updating? Is it idle or are you playing a game or music or navigating, etc?

Honestly it should just work. With more details you should be able to tell what's killing the app, be it a memory thing where it's being kicked out or whether something is actively going behind you and killing things it shouldn't.

Also, is this device on Marshmallow? If so, you might need to add these apps that quit on you to the Doze exclusion list.

I'm not doing anything to manage my battery or network connectivity, just whatever the phone does on its own. Wifi and location are always on as well. It is indeed the widget for my weather app that made me notice. I noticed it when I unlocked my phone in the morning, and it was still showing the forecast for the previous day. So the phone is pretty much just idling when it should be polling for the new data. It's been doing this for months, but I'm just now wanting to get it to work properly so I don't have to manually refresh because I'm kind of a weather nerd. And lastly yes I'm running Marshmallow. What is this Doze exclusion list you're referring to? I'll do whatever, I just want to make this work.

e: I researched it a bit and figured out how to exclude the apps I need from Doze. Will report back with results.

bradzilla fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 12, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

How does one cause the battery to swell up on a Moto X Pure? It's usually caused by heat or damage, but absent outright neglect is battery bulging (to the point of loving with your screen) normal?

I don't have this issue, it just seems weird that it would be a cause for screen problems if the phone wasn't left in a hot car or something to begin with.
Of course it's not normal. That said, it's not at all unheard of for an individual battery to be defective even in an otherwise good lot. (And, of course, it's always possible they could get a bad lot and just not have enough data yet to be aware of it.)

Re Oneplus 2: The initial reviews, at least, all said it wasn't in any way an improvement on the Oneplus One, and certainly not worth the increase in price. But don't buy Oneplus.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bradzilla posted:

I'm not doing anything to manage my battery or network connectivity, just whatever the phone does on its own. Wifi and location are always on as well. It is indeed the widget for my weather app that made me notice. I noticed it when I unlocked my phone in the morning, and it was still showing the forecast for the previous day. So the phone is pretty much just idling when it should be polling for the new data. It's been doing this for months, but I'm just now wanting to get it to work properly so I don't have to manually refresh because I'm kind of a weather nerd. And lastly yes I'm running Marshmallow. What is this Doze exclusion list you're referring to? I'll do whatever, I just want to make this work.

Okay if the widget isn't refreshing on its schedule then it sounds like it's the launcher being kicked out of memory. Are you using the stock launcher or a third party one like Nova or Google Now Launcher? If you're using Nova, I think there's an option buried in there to aggressively hoard its memory (Settings > Advanced > Aggressive desktop).

Doze, if I'm remembering correctly, shouldn't kick in when the phone is charging but just in case, the setting (on a Nexus, I'm sure this isn't the location on a G4) is in Apps > Gear icon > Battery optimization. Then select All Apps, find the launcher and choose Do Not Optimize.

For what it's worth I've never had your problem with my DashClock widget not updating on Nova Launcher and I have neither of these options set.

Lastly, I don't think this will help with the widget state but it might be worth looking into, does your weather app allow for a persistent notification? If it does, try enabling that for a day and seeing if the problem persists. I wouldn't want to live with the notification either but it would tell you definitively whether it's the launcher or the weather app.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Okay if the widget isn't refreshing on its schedule then it sounds like it's the launcher being kicked out of memory. Are you using the stock launcher or a third party one like Nova or Google Now Launcher? If you're using Nova, I think there's an option buried in there to aggressively hoard its memory (Settings > Advanced > Aggressive desktop).

Doze, if I'm remembering correctly, shouldn't kick in when the phone is charging but just in case, the setting (on a Nexus, I'm sure this isn't the location on a G4) is in Apps > Gear icon > Battery optimization. Then select All Apps, find the launcher and choose Do Not Optimize.

For what it's worth I've never had your problem with my DashClock widget not updating on Nova Launcher and I have neither of these options set.

Lastly, I don't think this will help with the widget state but it might be worth looking into, does your weather app allow for a persistent notification? If it does, try enabling that for a day and seeing if the problem persists. I wouldn't want to live with the notification either but it would tell you definitively whether it's the launcher or the weather app.

Yeah I don't run any 3rd party OS management apps, just stock Android. I also have persistent notification enabled for the weather app and that doesn't update either. Do you know what app name to look for for the launcher? If I can find that I will try excluding it from doze. This is on an LG G4.

bradzilla fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 12, 2016

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Whizbang posted:

Really? Is this a new Motorola thing or something unique to the XPE? I have a '14 Moto X and Nexus 6 that are in mint condition, and probably the best phones I've ever owned. They're kind of the reason I picked up a Pure Edition a week ago. :shepface:

Unrelated, is there a VR thread around here? And does anyone have any experience with those cheap Cardboard type headsets. Something like this for example. The monetary expense is small but if these things are absolute garbage, I won't waste my time.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

SouthLAnd posted:

Really? Is this a new Motorola thing or something unique to the XPE? I have a '14 Moto X and Nexus 6 that are in mint condition, and probably the best phones I've ever owned. They're kind of the reason I picked up a Pure Edition a week ago. :shepface:

Unrelated, is there a VR thread around here? And does anyone have any experience with those cheap Cardboard type headsets. Something like this for example. The monetary expense is small but if these things are absolute garbage, I won't waste my time.

Buy the viewmaster from Amazon, target or best buy for like 15$ they are good

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

bradzilla posted:

Yeah I don't run any 3rd party OS management apps, just stock Android. I also have persistent notification enabled for the weather app and that doesn't update either. Do you know what app name to look for for the launcher? If I can find that I will try excluding it from doze. This is on an LG G4.

Excluding the weather app from doze didn't do poo poo to fix the problem.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This is driving me nuts, I can't figure this out and Google is not helping. Is there any way to disable the full screen notifications on S Planner (on a Note 5, 5.1.1)? This is in a Knox workspace, so I cannot just install another calendar app unfortunately.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Captain Yossarian posted:

Buy the viewmaster from Amazon, target or best buy for like 15$ they are good

huh. They have them at the Target a mile from my home. I might have to pick one up just to play with. Thanks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SouthLAnd posted:

waste my time.
Any phone with an integrated battery behind the screen will show defects on the screen if the battery starts to swell. It's like if you push hard on the screen, only from behind.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Anybody have a recommendation on a car charger that will actually charge a Moto X Pure? I bought a 2.4A charger and it either doesn't charge or charges so slowly that it doesn't make a difference.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This will charge it as fast as the included adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016L...j-JL&ref=plSrch

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Anybody have a recommendation on a car charger that will actually charge a Moto X Pure? I bought a 2.4A charger and it either doesn't charge or charges so slowly that it doesn't make a difference.

I have this one in my car, works great on my MXP and hopefully on the 6p I have on the way as well.

Quick Charge 2.0 AUKEY Dual-Port Car Charger with Micro-USB Cable for LG G5, Samsung Galaxy S7/S6/Edge, Nexus 6, iPhone | Qualcomm Certified

http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Port-Charger-Micro-USB-Qualcomm-Certified/dp/B00LJT2EPK?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Huh, this is weird, for anyone like me who has a Nexus 6p (dunno if this affects other phones), but a lot of us are stuck on older versions of google play services and this guy is claiming that downloading the newer versions helped with battery drain issues:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/comments/4j2l33/mightve_found_a_battery_drain_fix_by_updating/

Not sure why we're behind several versions of play services.

Is there any reason why i shouldn't manually upgrade?

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 13, 2016

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is driving me nuts, I can't figure this out and Google is not helping. Is there any way to disable the full screen notifications on S Planner (on a Note 5, 5.1.1)? This is in a Knox workspace, so I cannot just install another calendar app unfortunately.

S-planner settings set alert type.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

Huh, this is weird, for anyone like me who has a Nexus 6p (dunno if this affects other phones), but a lot of us are stuck on older versions of google play services and this guy is claiming that downloading the newer versions helped with battery drain issues:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus6P/comments/4j2l33/mightve_found_a_battery_drain_fix_by_updating/

Not sure why we're behind several versions of play services.

Is there any reason why i shouldn't manually upgrade?

This poo poo has seemingly been an issue for years now across a lot of different devices. I thought we'd be past it already with newer Android versions but I guess not.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bradzilla posted:

I also have persistent notification enabled for the weather app and that doesn't update either.

bradzilla posted:

Excluding the weather app from doze didn't do poo poo to fix the problem.

This is not a good combination of datapoints unfortunately. If the persistent notification isn't updating then I'm thinking it might be a broken weather app. My reasoning is this:

The purpose of a persistent notification is to keep something in memory and as far as I know on Android it's the only way to guarantee that something stays in memory. So if the app is in memory and still not updating then it's got to be a broken app. I know this was recently the case with the DashClock weather widget (got fixed this week) when the weather provider changed the API and broke the widget. This could be a similar case.

That said, if you're experiencing this problem with more than one app then I'm running out of ideas. It doesn't sound like it's the launcher but because you're dealing with LG-modified Android there's always the chance they could've broken something weird.

Could you try a known-working weather app and see if it updates as expected? Are you seeing this issue with any other apps? What app are you using currently?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

SouthLAnd posted:

Really? Is this a new Motorola thing or something unique to the XPE?

It's not unique to the XPE, I only know about it because it happened on a lot of OG Moto 360s.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Lblitzer posted:

This poo poo has seemingly been an issue for years now across a lot of different devices. I thought we'd be past it already with newer Android versions but I guess not.

Its not exactly an 'issue', Google has always done staged rollouts for updates

Didn't see this mentioned yet but there is an official page to grab OTA updates now

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/ota

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I still don't have the updated keyboard on any of my devices.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

thanks a lot, Sundar

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MikusR posted:

S-planner settings set alert type.

No such option there. Must be because it's the Knox app :(

bull3964 posted:

Same :(

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Who was that goon who put griptape on his slippery phone?

Cause someone done stole his idea:

https://stacksocial.com/sales/gear-gripz-2-pack

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Err, Google Keyboard that you can download from the Play Store? Updated automaticall like any other app for me

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

RVProfootballer posted:

Err, Google Keyboard that you can download from the Play Store? Updated automaticall like any other app for me

There was a major release recently, and he's just complaining about the random nature of the rollout (I also don't have it on any device).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RVProfootballer posted:

Yup, hasn't rolled out to me yet.

I look it up on the play store and it says it was last updated Feb 22nd.