Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
They're pretty high up there. Nobody in our group plays them but I read a lot of praise on other forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
The London 40k Grand Tournament is up to 20 Heresy players apparently. Still spaces! Last weekend of May - bank holiday - in Kings Cross. Can't get the link at work but Google it and it's top option.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

adamantium|wang posted:

They're grenades dudes. Just a lot of people (myself and my group included) thought that throwing a grenade referred to using them in the shooting phase and everyone with a grenade could use a single one in assault. With the clarification Tankbustas are crippled and there's really no point to buying grenades for a whole squad unless they're assault or defensive :(

My Swooping Hawks just lost a lot of utility, for sure

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Finished up my Contemptor from Betrayal at Calth! It's a breeze to assemble; kind of curious why they didn't make a proper mutlipart kit out of it with more options. Oh well!

And a Word Bearers helmet, on the ground where they belong:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Huh. Who would have guessed Alpharius got interred in a dreadnought.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

Mango Polo posted:

How to be competitively fluffy:

1. Take a Siege Breaker HQ
2. Take 9 phosphex rapiers
3. Take whatever the gently caress you want
4. ???
5. The entire planet is on fire

Playing around in Battlescribe it actually seems possible to do this in under 1250pts with minimum troop choices and no RoW. Although the time it'd take to place and scatter 36 templates every turn would suck a lot of the fun out of spacenapalm.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Shazaminator posted:

Playing around in Battlescribe it actually seems possible to do this in under 1250pts with minimum troop choices and no RoW. Although the time it'd take to place and scatter 36 templates every turn would suck a lot of the fun out of spacenapalm.

You're worried about putting down 36 blast markers? I'd be more worried about the fact that said every single marker is never removed and can crawl 2" around.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

So what's the deal with Codex: Daemons in 30k? They can ally with Word Bearers or Warp Cults, or only be fielded under one of the trial rule HQ characters?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Word Bearers can take an allied detachment of them when using the RoW.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So is Zone Mortalis usable for an escalation type league?

My FLGS is ready to sponsor the next league my group runs and I think this may be a better option than straight up 30k.

My other concern would be with terrain. Is it playable on Space Hulk tiles possibly?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
ZM is pretty fantastic with escalation type rules.

How big are those tiles? I get the feeling they could be too small. You want corridor entrances to be a mix of 5~~cm wide at the smallest and 10~~ at the widest.

E. Speaking of ZM, I just got my mat this morning. Going to give it a spin tonight.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

DJ Dizzy posted:

Word Bearers can take an allied detachment of them when using the RoW.

How about traitor militant cults? I had read that they can (in a few places online), but in the twenty minutes or so I had with HH5 I couldn't verify this.

I've got a bunch of the old, good metal cultists and daemons - I'd love to actually use them again.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
For the Imperial Militia you'll need the Cult Horde provenance, if I remember, and then you can ally in Daemons.

Otherwise it's Word Bearers with their rite of war OR Zardu Layak, which both grants Daemon as allies.

Or you can field a Prince of the Ruinstorm, which lets you straight up play as Daemons.

Hummingbird James
Jan 3, 2013
I'm pretty sure that you don't need a Prince of the Ruinstorm to be able to use Daemons in 30k, just that it's an option.

One question I have though is: what can Daemons ally with if they're used as the Primary Detachment? They're not on the 30k ally matrix whatsoever. I know that the WB RoW and characters state Sworn Brothers and Cult Horde Militia gets them as Fellow Warriors, but I'm pretty sure that's all for if WB/Militia are your primary detachment.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hummingbird James posted:

I'm pretty sure that you don't need a Prince of the Ruinstorm to be able to use Daemons in 30k, just that it's an option.

One question I have though is: what can Daemons ally with if they're used as the Primary Detachment? They're not on the 30k ally matrix whatsoever. I know that the WB RoW and characters state Sworn Brothers and Cult Horde Militia gets them as Fellow Warriors, but I'm pretty sure that's all for if WB/Militia are your primary detachment.

Nevermind you're right, they don't require a prince to be run as primary. But the princes do bring some massive benefits.

And as you wrote, they're not in the matrix and nothing in their own rules indicates special access to allies. So no allies :(

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

:saddowns:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Mango Polo posted:

And as you wrote, they're not in the matrix and nothing in their own rules indicates special access to allies. So no allies :(

I finally found the appropriate entry in HH5, and there's a "...and vice versa" at the end of where it says renegade cults can take allies. It's not clearly written at all, so it might just mean Daemon allies also treat the parent detachment as allies.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I wouldnt mind a daemon player having WB allies. v0v.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Mango Polo posted:

E. Speaking of ZM, I just got my mat this morning. Going to give it a spin tonight.

Oh! Is there a company that makes a decent gamemat for ZM? I've been looking for such a thing. Say more, say more!

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Germ posted:

Oh! Is there a company that makes a decent gamemat for ZM? I've been looking for such a thing. Say more, say more!

Frontline Gaming sells a FAT mat meant for zone mortalis. I believe it is the spaceship interior.

Germ
May 7, 2013

mongol posted:

Frontline Gaming sells a FAT mat meant for zone mortalis. I believe it is the spaceship interior.

Thanks!

Hmm... It's a bit busy, but the 4x4 isn't nearly as much so as the 6x4. I'm worried that it'll lock you into a certain layout with the way the graphics are arranged, but I'll give it a try.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Germ posted:

Thanks!

Hmm... It's a bit busy, but the 4x4 isn't nearly as much so as the 6x4. I'm worried that it'll lock you into a certain layout with the way the graphics are arranged, but I'll give it a try.

I'll take a pic later, but that's exactly why I avoided the FAT mat (that and the horror-esque aesthetic did nothing for me) and opted for the Deep-Cut Studios Spacehulk. That and DCS let me customize it with an added grid overlay.

e.:

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 13, 2016

Germ
May 7, 2013

Mango Polo posted:

I'll take a pic later, but that's exactly why I avoided the FAT mat (that and the horror-esque aesthetic did nothing for me) and opted for the Deep-Cut Studios Spacehulk. That and DCS let me customize it with an added grid overlay.

drat. That is pretty. Knowing that you can get a grid overlay helps a lot. I think that's my huckleberry.

Is that a 2 inch grid?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Germ posted:

drat. That is pretty. Knowing that you can get a grid overlay helps a lot. I think that's my huckleberry.

Is that a 2 inch grid?

Just 1". From doing a few mockups I found it much easier to deal with terrain this way and gives a bit of flexibility in the layout (especially since ZM was made before stuff like 32mm bases).

I'll be combining the mat with some paper walls supported by foamboard.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
In what book does it allow you to take daemons as a primary detachment? Just wondering as it's the first time I've heard it.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I, uh, may or may not have just ordered in a Land Raider MKIIB and a Spartan. I suppose that solves my transport issue...

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

In what book does it allow you to take daemons as a primary detachment? Just wondering as it's the first time I've heard it.

No idea about the book itself, but the Prince of the Ruinstorm rule for both of the daemons says:

quote:

If Samus is selected in an army which uses Codex: Chaos Daemons as its Primary Detachment
in Age of Darkness games, Samus may be counted as a HQ choice rather than as a Lords of
War choice. If this is the case, then Samus must be the army’s Warlord and has the following
Warlord trait rather than rolling to determine a trait.

and

quote:

Samus can be used in Word Bearers Legion armies and Codex: Chaos Daemon armies in Horus Heresy games.

Also never not be bitter.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 14, 2016

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Battle bunnies has a pic of Russ. Looks good but windswept hair again... I'm not keen on that look.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
I thought he would have a beard. After I wrote this I realised that his old model was clean shaven.

I suppose the windswept appearance stops the eighties metal hair inherent in trying to sculpt long hair at rest. Bouffant. Think Dave mustaine of megadeth.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I was making some TS decals and stencils, and then FW does this.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

And a few other things:

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 14, 2016

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Russ looks ready to murder some fools.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Kind of odd to be getting the model for Leman Russ when his rules and legion haven't been released yet.

Maybe they have different teams working on each primarch model and Russ's team finished first of the current batch?

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
He hasn't got enough wolf heads visible. I can only see five.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Holy daaaang those power scythes and the Moritat

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

DrPop posted:

Holy daaaang those power scythes and the Moritat

POwer scythes? Moritat looks awesome.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Russ looks really cool; makes me hopeful for Magnus!

e: also holy gently caress that doofy knight thing is massive

Hixson fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 14, 2016

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

I don't care how ineffective this thing may be for its cost, it's huge and that's what matters

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

TTerrible posted:

POwer scythes? Moritat looks awesome.

Sorry, thought everyone was reading from the same Battle Bunnies post. Road posting right now so can't upload images, but it can be seen in this post:

http://battlebunnies.blogspot.my/2016/05/forge-world-seminar.html?m=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Knight thing is dumb, what differentiates it from a Warhound Titan?

what the gently caress