Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Mark Henry gives good hug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I think Stone Cold has owned up to being a drunk rear end in a top hat who went through "dark times" but I don't think he's ever directly talked about and apologized for being abusive to Debra. Whether you consider that enough is up to you, but I feel like he's gotten away with not having to confront it outright just because of who he is.

This has been mentioned before and I'm pretty sure people said in response that he goes over it in his book in detail. I haven't read it though.

Personally I don't want an apology from Steve Austin for his domestic abuse and it would be weird to have one.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Is it now illegal to like Mark Henry

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

Is it now illegal to like Mark Henry

The opposite, it is illegal to not like Mark Henry.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Captain Magic posted:

Personally I don't want an apology from Steve Austin for his domestic abuse and it would be weird to have one.
But I need the man who taught the six-year-olds on my school bus to scream "I'm gonna stomp a mudhole in your rear end and walk it dry" to prove he's a good role model!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Rowdy Ringsports is a very confusing place because Mark Henry is a large black wrestle man, but he is also a white boxer man and coaches Frankie Edgar.

What's not confusing is the fact that both are cool guys and cool dads.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Mark Henry is a pretty poor in workrate terms but he's really good at promos and presence and it's a shame it took him like fifteen years to figure those two out.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Mark Henry was a great guest on Talk is Jericho.

He talked about how his entire main event run came about from Vince ribbing him. He also talks about Vince trying to outdo him in the gym lifting weights. Also, I had no idea he won so many legit strength competitions and still held so many records.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Smoking Crow posted:

Shawn Michaels

Shawn never really owned up to being a complete rear end in a top hat who was always pilled to the gills, he just doesn't give a poo poo and when someone tells him how much of a garbage person he was his response is always "oh ok meh"

Look at that interview he did with Bret when Bret came back and Shawn basically never acknowledges being a piece of poo poo when Bret accuses him of it instead going "if you say so I guess" every time

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

There was also that amazing time when Henry was called out and told to lay down for Orton. So he looked like he was going to, then stopped, went "Nuh uh" and crushed him instead.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Lucha Underground just had a pretty disappointing hoss-off but when I think about it, most of them are. What are some all-time classic-level hoss-offs?
I'd say Samoa Joe / Kenta Kobashi but that prob doesn't count if you regard hoss-offs as a distinctly American style of wrestling.

Batista / Undertaker maybe?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Lucha Underground just had a pretty disappointing hoss-off but when I think about it, most of them are. What are some all-time classic-level hoss-offs?

Andre the Giant Vs Stan Hanson is the greatest of all time.

Scott Steiner Vs Goldberg at Fall Brawl 2000 is one of the very few late WCW matches worth watching.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Captain Magic posted:

Mark Henry was a great guest on Talk is Jericho.

He talked about how his entire main event run came about from Vince ribbing him. He also talks about Vince trying to outdo him in the gym lifting weights. Also, I had no idea he won so many legit strength competitions and still held so many records.

One year he entered a competition spur the moment, maybe one of the Arnold ones, and destroyed everyone. WWE didn't even mention it or push him afterwards, instead let him do nothing for months.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I want to see Vince McMahon making GBS threads himself and screaming trying to lift more than Mark Henry while Henry just laughs.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Big Bossman vs Akeem, but only because it consisted of Bossman ducking a punch, Bossman Slamming him and winning in like under a minute. There's your Twin Towers blowoff.

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 12, 2016

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

HerraS posted:

Shawn never really owned up to being a complete rear end in a top hat who was always pilled to the gills, he just doesn't give a poo poo and when someone tells him how much of a garbage person he was his response is always "oh ok meh"

Look at that interview he did with Bret when Bret came back and Shawn basically never acknowledges being a piece of poo poo when Bret accuses him of it instead going "if you say so I guess" every time

I'm a guy in recovery so maybe that colors my perception, but I didn't get "if you say so, I guess" from that as much as "if you say that's how it happened, then that's how it happened" out of respect for Bret. Drug use fucks with your memory and your motivations--half the trouble I got into while drugging I was stone sober at the time, and I still don't recall events like others do because my thinking was that hosed.

Like, damaging other people's lives is a personal thing requiring personal amends, not public ones. No one really cares or enjoys it if you make a huge affair of it, and if you do, it smacks more of you trying to use the power of public knowledge to force someone to forgive you, which is counter-productive and pretty nasty.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Great White Hope posted:

It also helps that Mark Henry had a really short (but really fun) run as a dominant babyface that was cut short for no goddamn reason (like lots of 'oh, we got bored, you're a nobody again' things that happen to nearly everyone) a year earlier, so Henry's Hall Of Pain run felt like seeing a guy who had worked so hard, been around so long, and had improved so much finally getting something he so justly deserved.

For all his great moments in the Hall of Pain run, him deadlifting cheers from said face run might be my favorite thing Henry's ever done.

His runs get cut short because he gets hurt constantly.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

MassRafTer posted:

Vince didn't talk to the cops for 6 weeks so the whole "Vince brought a suitcase full of money and had him act like a savage" thing is pretty obviously untrue.

What is more likely is that Mr. Fuji helped him cover it up since Fuji and Muraco were with him that night. Fuji was something of a locker room fixer.

Did he threaten to cook the cops' dogs?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Gonzo McFee posted:

Andre the Giant Vs Stan Hanson is the greatest of all time.

Scott Steiner Vs Goldberg at Fall Brawl 2000 is one of the very few late WCW matches worth watching.

Stan Hansen-Hogan 1990 too.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I remember one time Mark Henry rolled up a frying pan like it was a newspaper. I was impressed.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Depending on if you consider Honma a hoss or not, Honma/Ishii from Invasion Attack 2015 was loving incredible. Two tough bastards beating the piss out of each other.

Also: question. Was the last time we saw Mark Henry on tv when he took Truth's pizza offering to Goldust?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Ktik posted:

One year he entered a competition spur the moment, maybe one of the Arnold ones, and destroyed everyone. WWE didn't even mention it or push him afterwards, instead let him do nothing for months.

It wasn't spur of the moment since he had about a month and change to train, but he was still at a disadvantage since he had years of wrestling injuries/wear and tear and only that small amount of time to train for a strongman competition designed to put the regular strongmen out of their comfort zone.

Had Henry gone into strongman instead of wrestling he could have been a legend there, he's an absolute physical freak. But money in strongman is a fraction of what he's made in wrestling, so it's hard to say that Henry made the wrong choice.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Tweak posted:

is this really all? Like he certainly should have included that considering his partner, and since they went over stuff like Angle's addiction problems, Lesnar's homophobia, plus that awful Trish Stratus segment (that appeared to give Jo a panic attack). However it seems a bit much to call into question everything else he's said just because he didn't bring up that SCSA beat Debra, unless there is more (which there could be, I'm just speaking anecdotally).

I'm not going to say I can easily remember everything that happened 20 years ago without double checking, but I can't say I've noticed anything glaring about what he's said on either of his podcasts- especially since he was watching not only every PPV for the Attitude Era Podcast, but the in between Raws as well. Not to mention the Hogan episode came out specifically because that whole thing just was released and they were more or less striking while the iron was hot because of it.

It's a little weird to level that as a charge considering it's a podcast specifically aimed at potential new fans with a cohost that is getting into wrestling and clearly feels strongly about some of these issues. It's not necessarily better to mislead her, but I mean if you look at the episode list there's a lot of people with severe issues and I think he's probably making some hard choices on what to avoid mentioning. Pretty hard to avoid Hogan's issues, or Angle's addiction problems, given how relatively high profile they were.

Nobody here is going to let it go that he's leaving things out but I think it's a wise move given the circumstances (Jo says "gently caress it, these people are all disgusting and I'm gone")

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I'm stronger than mark henry

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Prop Wash posted:

It's a little weird to level that as a charge considering it's a podcast specifically aimed at potential new fans with a cohost that is getting into wrestling and clearly feels strongly about some of these issues. It's not necessarily better to mislead her, but I mean if you look at the episode list there's a lot of people with severe issues and I think he's probably making some hard choices on what to avoid mentioning. Pretty hard to avoid Hogan's issues, or Angle's addiction problems, given how relatively high profile they were.

Nobody here is going to let it go that he's leaving things out but I think it's a wise move given the circumstances (Jo says "gently caress it, these people are all disgusting and I'm gone")

They're gonna do a Mick Foley episode soon, so Jo's gonna be able to get at least one story about someone whose only real issue has been being mildly creepy about liking some women too much.

At least he only hurt himself, and did it for love of the fans and the business.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
Mark Henry's run got him his theme, which led to this greatness being made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYVnhCcEa-Q

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2td0r_kane-vs-big-show-chain-wrestling_creation

Does this count as a hoss off? :v:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Captain Magic posted:

This has been mentioned before and I'm pretty sure people said in response that he goes over it in his book in detail. I haven't read it though.

In his book, he said:

quote:

Two years later [after they were married], the incident at the house happened. The police were called and it got national media attention. You can talk about it, read about it, and discuss it. I can't--legal reasons. Then we got divorced, which I can't give details on either. There is a gag order. All I can say is I truly regret the whole ordeal.

So it sounds like he really is not allowed to talk about it legally because of the settlement deal they cut with Debra. That's why he never goes into it anywhere beyond just saying that was a dark time in his life that he regrets.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

It's real-time slow mo!

This is amazing.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's become a joke over time, is painful to watch and only 3 minutes long, but for the people who watched it live, in the context of the time, Big Daddy vs Giant Haystacks was the definitive hoss-off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sDBd6-SGo4

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
A fun Mark Henry memory is that in 1996-1997 he was considered a big old failure who couldn't pick up wrestling and had zero charisma, while BRAKKUS despite being green had good presence and was working really hard

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Tyma posted:

It's become a joke over time, is painful to watch and only 3 minutes long, but for the people who watched it live, in the context of the time, Big Daddy vs Giant Haystacks was the definitive hoss-off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sDBd6-SGo4

This is like watching two beach balls loving

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Platypus Farm posted:

This is like watching two beach balls loving

and the announcer has to call one of the beach balls "daddy"

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

So I'm watching the Atlantis vs Ultimo Geurerro Mask vs Mask match and was wondering, what size is CMLL's ring? It looks massive.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

remusclaw posted:

So I'm watching the Atlantis vs Ultimo Geurerro Mask vs Mask match and was wondering, what size is CMLL's ring? It looks massive.

Optical illusion as the wrestlers are so small.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Ah, looking it up now both are 5'8. For some reason I thought the two were bigger guys than they are.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'd say Samoa Joe / Kenta Kobashi but that prob doesn't count if you regard hoss-offs as a distinctly American style of wrestling.

Batista / Undertaker maybe?

Sasaki/Kobashi and the five minute chop war

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
I miss when the Hardcore Championship became the hoss title.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Aubergine Mage posted:

Sasaki/Kobashi and the five minute chop war

This is the best answer.

Though any of the Ishii/Makabe matches from the last two years of NJPW might also count? They're not traditional hosses but Jesus Christ they go at it like wild bears fighting over cubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Any of the classic pre-Vince Jr. WWF matches (Patterson vs. Slaughter, etc) are like the platonic hoss offs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrV4XaCuGP4