Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
why did the movies use all the sh2 music when neither of them has anything to do with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulwVN4LkgaI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I've always thought the first silent hill movie was the best movie to game adaptation because a horror movie is at least kinda similar to a horror game, where most game/movies change so much of the tone and plot that they may as well just be an entirely different story (Uwe Boll films)

But its far from perfect and its a mess of SH 1 & 2's plots jammed together so its not even great.

Mario is entertaining but is entirely its own ridiculous story. Also it loses some points for naming the brothers "Luigi Mario and Mario Mario".

Mortal Kombat 1 is good, Annihilation is bad but cheesy fun.

Street Fighter is amazing if only because of Raul Julia as Bison, he loving sells the entire film. OF COURSE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlhOUyy4wbs I mean god drat :allears: "For me, it was Tuesday."

corn in the bible posted:

why did the movies use all the sh2 music when neither of them has anything to do with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulwVN4LkgaI

Because the director didn't understand the games and just mixed them all together. Why was Pyramid Head in it when they were based more on SH1? Because he thought PH was a cool badguy and doesn't have enough creativity to come up with anything nearly as cool.

That song loving rules though, its perfect, so I'm fine with it not belonging.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 12, 2016

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The Silent Hill wiki circumcision meltdown beats most videogame films for entertainment value.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

*while cutting off his foreskin* ARENT YOU MARIA?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This movie loving rules

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

OKB Zero in MGSV is one of my faves, since it's clearly broken into 3 stages and a finale like an NES game, with escalating challenges in each area with increasingly dense architecture and overlapping guard routes. It took hours to perfect stealth my way through and then it felt awesome to run the mission again with the mech and a tank and obliterate everything.

It's really a shame that there weren't more well-designed levels/areas in MGSV

I would pay for a level pack/VR Training type thing that uses MGSV's controls/gameplay; felt pretty good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

It's really a shame that there weren't more well-designed levels/areas in MGSV

I would pay for a level pack/VR Training type thing that uses MGSV's controls/gameplay; felt pretty good

I mean almost every town was basically a level. The power plant, the jungle mansion, the afghani village built into a mountain, every major outpost has its particular flavor/design.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Zaphod42 posted:

Also it loses some points for naming the brothers "Luigi Mario and Mario Mario"

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Yeah wtf his name IS Mario Mario, don't name shame

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
doom update: I am now playing Doom 2 and it's good also. I own Doom 3 because I got it for like 4 bucks during a sale several years ago but I heard it was bad so I never played it. Should I play it?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rafza posted:

the RE movies are good 'drinking w/ the buddies' movies

There are plenty of movies that are better made that can fill that role. Or failing that, more interestingly badly made.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Dr Cheeto posted:

The Silent Hill wiki circumcision meltdown beats most videogame films for entertainment value.

i have never seen or heard about this

fuckin lmao

Daeren posted:

I DEMAND THAT PROFESSOR KONAMI HIMSELF GOD OF SILENT HILL COME AND TELL ME THERE ISNT BABY DICK CHOPPING IN SIL

lmao that alexshepard guy is still the admin of the wiki, i guess he got unblocked

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 12, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

doom update: I am now playing Doom 2 and it's good also. I own Doom 3 because I got it for like 4 bucks during a sale several years ago but I heard it was bad so I never played it. Should I play it?

It's not terrible but it tries more for the horror angle and is infamous for its monster closets. And while it may technically have had better graphics than HL2 back in the day, they sure didn't age anywhere near as well.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I will never forgive Street Fighter: The Movie for loving up Ryu's name for an entire generation.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CJacobs posted:

Doom 3 isn't really bad, its just not really a Doom game. Go into it expecting more of a horror game that's also a shooter and you can have a pretty good time with it.

It doesn't really get fun until the last third of the game, but its still worth playing through at least once.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Make sure you adjust your brightness settings

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Doom 3 is dark and the Xbox is loving huge

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Doom 3 isn't bad per-se, it just doesn't hold up gameplay-wise compared to the originals. It's more of a survival horror theme with a weird fixation on monsters hiding behind doors to jump-scare you.

It also suffered from Half-Life 2 coming out a few months later and doing pretty much everything better.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Doom 3 is more or less a halo clone which is really weird.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I don't think it was ever bad but the jump scares probably got worse and instead you should play Doom/2 maps and mods forever like I do.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

CJacobs posted:

Play it

Mr E posted:

I don't think it was ever bad but the jump scares probably got worse and instead you should play Doom/2 maps and mods forever like I do.

Then do this.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CJacobs posted:

no

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I will install it and check it out, and then probably go back to playing Chex Quest afterward. Thanks goons

In Training posted:

Make sure you adjust your brightness settings

The game being pitch black is pretty much the only thing I know about it so hopefully going into it blind (not literally) will make it better.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Lurdiak posted:

Doom 3 is more or less a halo clone which is really weird.

I forgot how no gun has recoil.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

I mean almost every town was basically a level. The power plant, the jungle mansion, the afghani village built into a mountain, every major outpost has its particular flavor/design.

They all really feel pretty small except for a few I think, jungle mansion, main afghanistan base, power plant, OKB Zero and a few others were fine and complex though

I guess I was really hoping that there was something as complex as the island from Ground Zeroes and my expectations were too high

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's also the only Doom game with a bad shotgun.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In Training posted:

Doom 3 is dark and the Xbox is loving huge

brown enough for ya. waggle. jade raymond

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Monkey Fracas posted:

They all really feel pretty small except for a few I think, jungle mansion, main afghanistan base, power plant, OKB Zero and a few others were fine and complex though

I guess I was really hoping that there was something as complex as the island from Ground Zeroes and my expectations were too high

I think it's partially because you can approach them from more than one direction, they end up lacking the progression that a level you approach from one end would. And if the objective is in the middle and you go out the same way you came in, or just fulton out, then the "level" ends up being half as long as its actual size.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Thinking about MGSV again makes me want to play it again...

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Monkey Fracas posted:

Face it, MGSV sucks donkey balls.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

brown enough for ya. waggle. jade raymond

Zelda? More like Celda!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Lurdiak posted:

How the hell did they mess that up.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Lurdiak posted:

BOOM chick chick BOOM chick chick

it's just so iconic

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Has Tenzarin liked a game so far

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Face it, MGSV sucks donkey balls.

Well, I love it

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Mr E posted:

Has Tenzarin liked a game so far

Dark Souls 2 or some poo poo like that.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

In Training posted:

Well, I love it

i think its cool to like games that you enjoy, imo, regardless of what others say

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's cooler to like games to dislike games.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I really liked MGSV but was disappointed with it at the same time

chief disappointment possibly being that they cut Kiefer Sutherland saying "You're fired!" when you can a crappy soldier on your base

they recorded it but didn't use it arrrghhh

also the story was just kinda not there

I want some goofy overlong cutscenes with my Metal Gear game darnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Shindragon posted:

How the hell did they mess that up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPSYVY0tVnM&t=189s

I have no idea.

• Locked thread