Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Stultus Maximus posted:

"Well, Donald, I've played the serious straight man and now we get to pretend that we've both come to a serious understanding"

If I were Ryan, I'd call him Donnie to his face, but yeah probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Quorum posted:

Yep, aside from being Wrong About Trump in a really stupid way (and really, who among us wasn't?), he's been pretty reliable this primary season. The demographic model in particular has been on the nose. Leftist posters just don't like him because he (correctly) predicted that Bernie was done after Super Tuesday. For some reason this manifests as accusing him of being wrong all the time.

I wouldn't be surprised, but there's been that contrarian "ugh it's too popular I must poo poo all over it" thing going way before Bernie.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Solkanar512 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised, but there's been that contrarian "ugh it's too popular I must poo poo all over it" thing going way before Bernie.

That's a good instinct that will rarely do one a disservice.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/730787210488909825

Gee, what is it about Tiger Woods that the GOP dislikes so much?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Silver himself put it best: his models didn't predict the Republican base losing their goddamn minds.

Also primary polling is notoriously lovely.

Garbage in, garbage out still applies.

But I'm sure somewhere one of the couple hundred broken clocks of a pundit was right. There for statistics have been disproven.

Check mate nerds.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Xae posted:

Also primary polling is notoriously lovely.

Garbage in, garbage out still applies.

But I'm sure somewhere one of the couple hundred broken clocks of a pundit was right. There for statistics have been disproven.

Check mate nerds.

Tyler Perdigo :smug:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Grouchio posted:

I wonder how that meeting between Trump and Ryan really went down...

kik2dagroin posted:

I kind of hope he reads these e-mails all the time now, aweing at the bullshit he's spent decades fomenting

quote:

RUSH: I just got an email from a Trumpist who -- it's fascinating. I know all these Trump supporters and they're fantasizing about what Trump is gonna tell Paul Ryan when they have their big confab tomorrow, and I have to read one of these to you. Here, I just printed it out. This helps me to understand the average Trump supporter's mental attitude about all this, and it helps me to extrapolate and then understand how Trump supporters are gonna react to anything that involves Trump.

It's not a full-fledged barometer, but it offers quite a bit of -- even though it is anecdotal, even though this is anecdotal, I will wager that after I read this a lot of you Trump supporters are gonna be going, "Yeah, yeah, that's exactly what he ought to do." Let's see if I'm right.

"Hey, Rush," starts the email, "here's what Trump ought to say at his meeting with Paul Ryan. 'Screw you. You're the representative of one district in one state. Let me tell you how things are gonna work. First, you are gonna apologize to me, and you're gonna say you don't know what you were thinking when you refused to endorse me when you were asked. The next thing you're gonna do, you're gonna say you are fully behind me, and you will do everything humanly possible to see that I win, period. Otherwise I'm gonna call you out for what you really are. I'm gonna endorse your primary opponent, and I'm gonna actively campaign for him. The next words out of your mouth better be, "Yes, I agree," or else. Or else you're fired.'"

That is what an ardent Trump supporter sent me in an email saying that's what he's expecting Trump to say to Paul Ryan. (interruption) My friend is nuts? I'm not saying he's not. No, I'm just telling you. You don't think that is representative of a whole lot of Trumpists? That's what they think Trump does. That's what a lot of them think Trump does. That's The Art of the Deal. That's negotiation. Let me read it again. Let me just read the words without throwing in my own emphasis, okay? Just an email from a friend of mine who I think, I could be wrong, but I think it's gonna be close to being fairly representative to what Trump supporters -- maybe it's a fantasy, maybe fantasizing what they hope Trump would do.

But here again it is. What Trump should say at his meeting with Ryan from a friend of mine who sent me an email. Remember now, these are not my words here. I'm reading an email from an ardent Trump supporter, a guy who thinks if Trump doesn't win we're finished, there's no other alternative. If Trump doesn't win it's over as we've known it. That's what this guy believes.

"Hello, congressman. Screw you. You're the representative of a small district in one state. Let me tell you how things are gonna work. First, you're gonna apologize. And you're gonna say you don't know what you were thinking when you couldn't bring yourself to endorse me last week when you were asked. The next thing you're gonna say is that you are fully behind me and you're gonna do everything human possible humanly possible to see that I get elected, period. Otherwise, I'm gonna publicly call you out for what you are. I'm gonna endorse your opponent. I'm gonna actively campaign for him. So the next words out of your mouth better be, 'Yes, I agree, sir,' or else." And then Trump should leave the meeting.

Now, we know that's not gonna happen because Trump's already out there saying (paraphrasing), "I love Ryan. He's a great guy. I want Ryan to remain chairman of the convention." Does that bother you, by the way? Didn't bother you? You didn't want Trump to put his own guy in there? You wouldn't like to see Katrina Pierson chairman of the Republican National Convention? Maybe offer it to Heidi Klum, you know, as an olive branch of peace. "Hey, Heidi, how'd you like to come run the convention for me?" Just toss it right back at Hillary's PAC.

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2016/05/11/what_trump_should_say_to_paul_ryan_as_written_by_my_ardent_trumpist_friend

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Kro-Bar posted:

His infidelity, obviously. Republican voters would never support a public figure that wasn't faithful to his wife.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Kro-Bar posted:

Hahaha if you ever dive into #TCOT Twitter, it's all dudes bitching about Obama golfing.

I have no idea why the sight of Tiger Woods or Barack Obama on a golf course might bother them.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Blah blah blah blah blah Ryan will endorse Trump soon

https://twitter.com/CBSEveningNews/status/730779414561193984

They'll all fall in line soon enough

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/brianmrosenthal/status/730788817578434560

Oh boy :geno:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

alpha_destroy posted:

This is no doubt exactly it. I have a friend who always complained about fast food workers asking for $15/hour because that's what he made. Why he never complained that he should be paid more too I never understood.

"You can treat me like poo poo as much as you want, so long as THAT GUY OVER THERE isn't treated better than I am! :argh:"

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Joementum, objectively the smartest person in this subforum, said repeatedly that Trump winning the nomination would mean "everything that we think we know about politics is wrong."
Reminder that Marco Rubio came within 1.2% of Trump in loving Iowa. For five days, everyone was saying that this was it, we were coming back to reality, and Marco Rubio was going to be the nominee. Apologies were made to Joementum and Nate Silver.
And then the Golden Son of the Establishment was murdered by a vengeful outcast, as the world-ending threat stood not ten feet away, smiling.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
He'll still sell it but when the shady gun auctioneer wants nothing to do with you

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/730778252516659201

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

North Carolina House Majority leader Hager started threatening companies opposing HB2 today.

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/north_carolina_republicans_now_targeting_companies_that_oppose_hb2_for_retribution

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Daniel Bryan posted:

He'll still sell it but when the shady gun auctioneer wants nothing to do with you

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/730778252516659201

Do a search for Nazi stuff on gunbroker sometime.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/viaAlana/status/730790867804393473

Hmmm wonder if someone is planning on 2020

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Joementum, objectively the smartest person in this subforum, said repeatedly that Trump winning the nomination would mean "everything that we think we know about politics is wrong."
Reminder that Marco Rubio came within 1.2% of Trump in loving Iowa. For five days, everyone was saying that this was it, we were coming back to reality, and Marco Rubio was going to be the nominee. Apologies were made to Joementum and Nate Silver.
And then the Golden Son of the Establishment was murdered by a vengeful outcast, as the world-ending threat stood not ten feet away, smiling.

I still can't really believe Rubio was so profoundly malfunctioning that he got destroyed by Christ Christie.

Destroyed by a guy who looks like a weird half-finished clone of Kiefer Sutherland and Richard Nixon.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Finally, you and I now both have something to share in common! Thanks governors of Texas and North Carolina!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/730790091862491136

I really didn't think Abbott was going to be as bad as Rick Perry, I really didn't.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I do wonder what would have happened had Rubio not imploded at that debate. Gets second in New Hampshire and then how does he win South Carolina?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/viaAlana/status/730790867804393473

Hmmm wonder if someone is planning on 2020

Republicans' only hope is Haley

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Chris Christie's suicide bombing of Rubio was the most hilarious thing I have ever seen. All because Rubio was a bit too glib when asking for his support.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Republicans' only hope is Haley

Sandoval

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Daniel Bryan posted:

Blah blah blah blah blah Ryan will endorse Trump soon

https://twitter.com/CBSEveningNews/status/730779414561193984

They'll all fall in line soon enough

Apparently Paul Ryan has always needed a daddy in his life to tell him what to do.
https://twitter.com/mckaycoppins/status/730791000671653888

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Sabato's Crystal Ball takes a look at possible VP choices for Clinton: http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/the-veepstakes-part-one-clintons-choices/

I think he overrates Kaine, but wouldn't be surprised by that pick.

My personal view is that it's between three or four people:

Castro
Warren
Kaine
---------
Perez

Warren isn't going to be a VP pick and any article that claims she's a serious contender is full of poo poo. She might be leaked by Clinton's camp as being on the short list but that's to draw in the Bernie crowd. Warren's just not a good pick for Clinton unless you're someone who dreams of a woman potus and vp ticket because Clinton can find her far left cred (which means less than pandering to other groups and demographics) from other picks who actually have something to offer beyond "is popular with the left wing."

Kro-Bar posted:

When has nominating a rising political star with no national experience been a problem before?

The Democrats did pretty well with an inexperienced guy back in 2008. Castro in his HUD position has at least as much experience as Candidate Obama did. Palin had absolutely zero and on top of that she's borderline retarded while Castro is actually intelligent and can speak like a normal human being. Comparing him to Palin shows you don't know what you're talking about.

theflyingorc posted:

On this insanely expansive map, Clinton only needs 43 EVs out of 168.

26% of the tossups is not a lot to win. If she gets Ohio, Pennsylvania, OR Florida she's basically a lock.

Unless Clinton shits all over the Steelers and maybe the Eagles while wearing a bunch of Patriots/Ravens gear to rallies she's going to win PA easily.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The only thing that will tank Hillary in the general is if she gets caught with a dead girl or a live boy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Phone posted:

The only thing that will tank Hillary in the general is if she gets caught with a dead girl or a live boy.

Wouldn't it be a dead boy or a live girl here?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

quote:

While Republican state leaders have complained about being “bullied” by the federal government over House Bill 2, lobbyists in Raleigh tell WRAL News they and the businesses they represent are being bullied by state lawmakers seeking to silence business opposition to the new law.

Lobbyists say they’ve been told – either directly by legislative leaders or by lawmakers’ staff – that, if they or the businesses they represent speak out publicly against House Bill 2, they can expect retribution from House and Senate leaders.

Legislation they want won’t move, and other bills could actually target them. WRAL News spoke with 11 lobbyists who have experienced or are aware of such actions, but none would speak on the record for fear they would lose business or be targeted for retribution.

House Majority Leader Mike Hager, a vocal supporter of House Bill 2, recently tweeted at a lobbyist, “Wow I would think from all your negative posts about HB2 that u weren’t a lobbyist and didn’t have to work with the majority.”

“That’s not a threat,” Hager, R-Rutherford, explained to WRAL News. “We want people that’ll work with us. We don’t want people that’ll go out there and bash us on Twitter and bash us on Facebook.”

Hager wants to remove state tax breaks that currently benefit American Airlines, NASCAR, Google, Apple and Facebook, all of which have taken public positions against House Bill 2. But he said that’s just a coincidence.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Evil Fluffy posted:

Unless Clinton shits all over the Steelers and maybe the Eagles while wearing a bunch of Patriots/Ravens gear to rallies she's going to win PA easily.

Unlikely, given the Rooneys' hard core Democratic support over the past decade or so. Hence Dan's appointment as Ambassador to Ireland.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tom Brady's Trump endorsement puts New England in play

e: :lol: SAS

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

haveblue posted:

Wouldn't it be a dead boy or a live girl here?

I'll be honest, if she was found with a live girl I would like voting for her even more than I do now.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Slate Action posted:

This article was written by Harry "Even Wronger Than Nate Silver" Enten.

How is he "even wronger than Nate Silver"? Harry's a pretty good forecaster.

No one should buy bullshit coming from the pundits that :smug: heh we were right this time statistics is wrong. 538's demographic model was very accurate and they were absolutely right to give Trump a small chance last summer. If you notice they updated their expectations throughout the cycle. The only misstep they made was continuing to discount Trump after NH but that can be defended by citing past performance.

Statistics isn't a 100% certainty operation and at least 538 owned up and admitted where they made mistakes. You ever see the likes of Bill Crystal or the other idiot pundits admit when they're wrong or update their expectations?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Free market bitch! Suck it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So the NC State Legislature is really going to make this the hill they'll die on? Good, gently caress them and gently caress that entire piece of poo poo state. The feds should wreck them and if necessary go retro and send the troops in to make them comply.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
The hill they want to die on isn't even popular with the electorate.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Daniel Bryan posted:

I know, that's why this is so perfect. Between this, Trump, and tons of other poo poo, angry white bigoted piece of poo poo conservatives are reaching critical mass and destroying themselves. The GOP recognized after 2012 what they needed to do to try and remain relevant but their human garbage constituency are too loving hateful and stupid to do it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Daniel Bryan posted:

You don't die on the hill you want you die on the hill you got.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He said, praying that it wouldn't turn out to be eerily prescient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Daniel Bryan posted:

Hey, have some gubernatorial approval ratings courtesy of Morning Consult

Why does everyone hate Dan Malloy?

• Locked thread