Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUacrPcCcKw

id like to point out that this fight was in a cursed/fetid/rotted depth 5 dungeon

I used to farm those dudes for Chunks. Easy as pie.

This video reminded me of how beautiful the Chikage is. I'm so glad I said "gently caress the PvP meta level" and took my Skill/Bloodtinge dude to 150 so now he has 50 in each. He's on NG++ now and I've had enough chunks and rocks to +10 the Threaded Cane, Rakuyo, Burial Blade, a Lost Chikage, and the Blade of Mercy, so now I have a ton of fun weapons to play with. Gonna +10 the Saif and the Church Pick next.

On NG+ I made the mistake of trying to fight Maria with the Chikage for maximum blood without taking into account that she probably has really high blood resistance :v: This time I'm gonna use the Burial Blade, Gehrman's proteges facing off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just +10 the pick yesterday. Need some thrust gems that don't eat hp. Three 32% thrust is disgusting though

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i go t the chikage aww yeah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

i go t the chikage aww yeah

stand still L1 to R1 is my favorite animation in all of souls

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

After the honeymoon period has ended I decided I like this game way more than souls 3

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Benny D posted:

After the honeymoon period has ended I decided I like this game way more than souls 3

:yeah:

I like DS3 but Bloodborne is magical

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

I th8nk the pve combat in this is better than ds3, and lets face it folks all these games are essentially single player. altho ot wpupd ne cool if there were a way to put ds3 invader/coop into bb.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's cool ideas with the covenants in BB but I never summon. Has anybody ever had it happen where they tried to summon help and the dude who came was in the opposing covenant so he turned hostile?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

There's cool ideas with the covenants in BB but I never summon. Has anybody ever had it happen where they tried to summon help and the dude who came was in the opposing covenant so he turned hostile?

I've been the one summoned who turned hostile. I use the Hunter of Hunters covenant rune when I'm just doing single-player for the little bit of extra Stamina regen and forgot to switch to the League rune when I was helping some people with Laurence. Showed up hostile to one dude and had a fun fight, though I felt a little bad killing someone who was looking for help.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i persnally havent but a friend of mine did, thnk the game had him pegged as a blood-addled hunter and tried summoning a hunter of hunters

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

I had no idea this could happen, that's cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I should do more Bloodborne PVP...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bloodborne PvP is fun and surprisingly still pretty active. I'm on NG++ with my level 150 guy and I got invaded within a minute of going to Mergo's Loft. I think I'm gonna leave Wet Nurse and the bell-ringing lady alive and do some dueling there for a while if the invasions keep up.

There's also a push to revive the dueling Short Ritual Chalice dungeon that Reddit set up, if that sounds fun.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is it like others where NG+ and all above are in the same pool? I have my chalice dungeon guy who is stupidly high level already and might get him to 150 to do some PVP

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

Is it like others where NG+ and all above are in the same pool? I have my chalice dungeon guy who is stupidly high level already and might get him to 150 to do some PVP

I don't think NGs are separated at all, like in DS3. It's just level-based, no NG separations.

I think 140 might be the sweet spot for both invading and being invaded. At that level you can invade down to 120 (119 technically) and be invaded by people as low as 92. If you go to 150 you can be invaded by anyone between 100-175 but you can't invade SL 120 people yourself, so you're probably going to get fewer hits as an invader. You'll still get invaded plenty, though.

I kinda regret going all the way to 150 on this character for that reason, but at least I got 50 in both Skill and Bloodtinge out of it. And even if I have a smaller pool of people I can invade, I can get invaded by any of the PvP levels so it's still good.

There's a level range calculator here: https://mpql.net/tools/bloodborne/?level=140

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 12, 2016

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

mysterious loyall X posted:

I th8nk the pve combat in this is better than ds3, and lets face it folks all these games are essentially single player. altho ot wpupd ne cool if there were a way to put ds3 invader/coop into bb.

you should try invading, its really good

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

HolePisser1982 posted:

you should try invading, its really good

I haev doge

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
When I was doing co-op chalices with a friend I had to start un equipping my hunter rune cause we were adversaries 8/10 times one day.

Same thing happened in the research hall and we had a good duel

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Has anyone here done a BL4 run? I've never done a minimum-level run in a Souls game and since I find Bloodborne the most fun to play I'm tempted. I fear Shadows of Yharnam will own me hard though, and Rom. I'm really good at both of those bosses when I have HP (and visceral damage, for Shadows) so doing them without either should be interesting

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

Has anyone here done a BL4 run? I've never done a minimum-level run in a Souls game and since I find Bloodborne the most fun to play I'm tempted. I fear Shadows of Yharnam will own me hard though, and Rom. I'm really good at both of those bosses when I have HP (and visceral damage, for Shadows) so doing them without either should be interesting

I watched Evil Eagle try to beat SL4 Maria for a few hours and it seemed like insanity. Low SL in Bloodborne seems really really loving hard, way harder than other games because there's no level-free scaling options like pyromancy to rely on and your defense is heavily tied to your soul level. No reason you couldn't at least try it though

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

I watched Evil Eagle try to beat SL4 Maria for a few hours and it seemed like insanity. Low SL in Bloodborne seems really really loving hard, way harder than other games because there's no level-free scaling options like pyromancy to rely on and your defense is heavily tied to your soul level. No reason you couldn't at least try it though

Yeah, it's basically Saw Cleaver + paper + Beast Blood Pellets and then pray you can dodge well. Should be interesting.

SL1 in Demon's Souls and DS1 are probably the most "doable" of them all, at least from the perspective of not having tried myself. Demon's Souls because you're a Royal (bonus points in the endgame/NG+, because you can rock poo poo with the Northern Regalia in hypermode even if you don't meet the reqs) and DS1 because of pyromancy.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 12, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only SL1 I've tried was DS1 and I got stuck on O&S. I never even though of Demons, I could probably do that. I should try it someday

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also the Lava Bow in Demon's makes it really doable. With hypermode it does great damage even though you can't meet the reqs at SL1.

Demon's Souls SL1 is basically about being the glassiest glass cannon. Get yourself in hypermode and Soul Ray/Lava Bow/Northern Regalia everything to death. Emarrel did a really fun SL1 NG+7 run on YouTube if you want to see how it's done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs4jtMrCPV4

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Harrow posted:

It's fun and I actually had a pretty easy time with shadows and rom. Ludwig is a nightmare. I'm still stuck on Maria but I haven't tried to make progress in it for a while. I ran out of beast blood pellets trying to beat Ludwig, so I would definitely recommend saving them for when you really need them.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

I should do more Bloodborne PVP...

i was doing NG forest invasions, and it was really fun, even if there's a lot of gank squad encounters. forest was especially fun because of the level design: overlapping paths, traps, mobs to drag hosts into...

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

It's fun and I actually had a pretty easy time with shadows and rom. Ludwig is a nightmare. I'm still stuck on Maria but I haven't tried to make progress in it for a while. I ran out of beast blood pellets trying to beat Ludwig, so I would definitely recommend saving them for when you really need them.

I was gonna ask how you could run out of pellets since you can buy them once you get the Cosmic Eye Watcher Badge, but then I remembered they cost Insight, not echoes. Yeah, definitely got to save them for when they're necessary.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

My guy is 201 and I could consistently invade people in mergos before ds3 came out, not sure about now

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Harrow posted:

I have. I didnt do the dlc yet though. Its much harder than souls

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

In Training posted:

A friend and i co-op a lot, and we usually roll with the hunter of hunters. We spawn as enemies somewhat often and its great

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

BB multiplayer with a friend is great. esp when you don't know if it's gonna become pvp due to blood drunkeness

btw does anyone know if it's possible to summon someone who has a password even if the summoner doesn't have a password? I was trying to get summoned by a friend in lower loran 2 and we set a password, but I got summoned by some other guy. he ended up creaming me in pvp lol

either passwords aren't exclusive or that was the biggest coincidence ever

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

I have. I didnt do the dlc yet though. Its much harder than souls

Was it fun, though?

I could do SL1 Dark Souls 1 but I don't really like the Hand Axe or Reinforced Club so some of the magic would be lost. Or Demon's Souls once I get another PS3.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think even if you go to like SL5 just to get a weapon that's ok

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Harrow posted:

Was it fun, though?

I could do SL1 Dark Souls 1 but I don't really like the Hand Axe or Reinforced Club so some of the magic would be lost. Or Demon's Souls once I get another PS3.

Very fun. My ds1 runs were done on a wanderer which can use way more weapons than a pyro. Or maybe it was a hunter.. whichever one has good dex and str

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

the Military Veteran class starts with the str/skl to wield most of the weapons, so i'd go for that if youre gonna do a challenge run

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HolePisser1982 posted:

the Military Veteran class starts with the str/skl to wield most of the weapons, so i'd go for that if youre gonna do a challenge run

In Bloodborne, I probably wouldn't want to use anything but the Saw Cleaver for a low-level run. Its DPS and ability to build up Beasthood is just too good to give up.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Harrow posted:

In Bloodborne, I probably wouldn't want to use anything but the Saw Cleaver for a low-level run. Its DPS and ability to build up Beasthood is just too good to give up.

it's a fantastic weapon. i was disappointed it didn't get an interpretation in DS3... yet

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Harrow posted:

I kept the hunter's axe as a backup but always used the cleaver for bosses. You get plenty upgrade materials so there's no reason not to have a backup.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

I kept the hunter's axe as a backup but always used the cleaver for bosses. You get plenty upgrade materials so there's no reason not to have a backup.

I like the speedrunner trick of using a transformed Hunter Axe L2 to open the Shadows of Yharnam fight to take a nice big chunk of HP off all three at once.

sector_corrector posted:

it's a fantastic weapon. i was disappointed it didn't get an interpretation in DS3... yet

I really wanted something like the Threaded Cane in DS3. It's still the only whip in the series that I actually like using. DS3's whips are improved from DS1/2's, but not Threaded Cane-level fun.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

it's cool that the whip is serrated so it really is the Vampire Killer souls games always needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i thnk the reason i like the farron greatsword so much is that its basically a trick weapon, 1h and 2h are pretty much distnct weapon modes. spoiled bcause i cant remember where ysg got