Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it's basically just like Bloodborne in that the Hunter's Dream is a "dream" whether that's literal or a metaphor for another dimension or something, based on the actual Hunter's Workshop, which is long abandoned and forgotten

Like, virtually identical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Is anyone else have a really loving hard time getting a grasp of the lore in this game? I feel like in DkS1, 2 and Bloodborne I grew to understand the different lands I was in and their inhabitants and how they reacted to the various curses and such. DkS3 so far in 1.5 playthroughs is really lacking in that regard and kinda like Demon's Souls just feels like a collection of levels.
Well, its main conceit is that its a bunch of lands pulled through space and time in a weird dimension-ripping collection of bubbles, so you've got a lot of different lores and myths stacking on top of each other in addition to the rest of the Soulsborne vagueness. I kind of like it. Plus, there's a ton to look at with the Pontiff. Dude's a dick.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Yodzilla posted:

Same. DkS3 is a Real Good Game but I kinda want them to let it rest and focus on a new thing whilst also making a new Bloodborne that stands on its own more.

Is anyone else have a really loving hard time getting a grasp of the lore in this game? I feel like in DkS1, 2 and Bloodborne I grew to understand the different lands I was in and their inhabitants and how they reacted to the various curses and such. DkS3 so far in 1.5 playthroughs is really lacking in that regard and kinda like Demon's Souls just feels like a collection of levels.

DS3 distinct regions seem to be:

Lothric (the city) --- Undead Settlement --- Road of Sacrifices --- Crucifixion Woods --- Cathedral of the Deep [Hawkwood dialogue and the banner Emma gives you]
Farron Keep [I haven't read a lot of Ghru items/had them drop so this might not be true, there is something to be said for the aqueducts? or roads? that span this area and lead on to Lothric city][e: actually no, this area is explicitly linked to Lothric city due to the crystal sages - even if no one in Lothric talks about it :psyduck:]
Catacombs of Carthus --- Smouldering Lake [yellow bug pellet]
Irithyll --- Anor Londo (I could go back and forth on whether these two were originally connected or not)
Profaned Capitol (though it is explicitly linked to Irithyll, it seems to be its own place that Sulyvahn pillaged for workers, ex. the fire witches, the jailers for Sully are based on the white attendants in PC)
Archdragon Peak
Firelink Shrine (this seems to be a distinct graveyard set apart from the physical graves of the Lords of Cinder, i.e. Aldrich - if Yhorm actually squeezed his arm into the shrine to tap the bonfire and peace out that would have been funny to see :v: - however it does also seem physically set below Lothric's city like everything else)

What's even harder is discerning which places were originally connected before they got drawn into the Lothric mosh. The association between Lothric and Cathedral of the Deep seems to be long-standing, but at the same time the land has clearly been deformed, now you need bat demons to take you to the settlement. The people in Lothric Castle proper also don't talk much about Aldrich, which may mean the Undead Settlement was taken over without their knowledge. Emma says all the lands of the Lords of Cinder converge at the base of the castle, but even that doesn't exactly answer the Undead Settlement question.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

Lothric (the city) --- Undead Settlement --- Road of Sacrifices --- Crucifixion Woods --- Cathedral of the Deep [Hawkwood dialogue and the banner Emma gives you]

I'm curious about whether the city/castle of Lothric was connected to the Undead Settlement before the whole "convergence" thing happened. Doesn't Emma mention something about the High Wall "appearing?" It seems like Lothric might have been separate from the entire rest of the game world at one time or another. Or maybe she just means when the city rose above the settlement and the Road of Sacrifices.

turtlecrunch posted:

Farron Keep [I haven't read a lot of Ghru items/had them drop so this might not be true, there is something to be said for the aqueducts? or roads? that span this area and lead on to Lothric city][e: actually no, this area is explicitly linked to Lothric city due to the crystal sages - even if no one in Lothric talks about it :psyduck:]
Catacombs of Carthus --- Smouldering Lake [yellow bug pellet]

What's interesting about this is that there are ghru in Smouldering Lake. That suggests to me that Farron Keep was in some way linked to it already, either through the Catacombs as it is now, or some other way. But it seems unlikely that Farron Keep would be linked to the catacombs of an entirely different kingdom, unless Carthus had already fallen by the time Farron came about.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Harrow posted:

I'm curious about whether the city/castle of Lothric was connected to the Undead Settlement before the whole "convergence" thing happened. Doesn't Emma mention something about the High Wall "appearing?" It seems like Lothric might have been separate from the entire rest of the game world at one time or another. Or maybe she just means when the city rose above the settlement and the Road of Sacrifices.

What's interesting about this is that there are ghru in Smouldering Lake. That suggests to me that Farron Keep was in some way linked to it already, either through the Catacombs as it is now, or some other way. But it seems unlikely that Farron Keep would be linked to the catacombs of an entirely different kingdom, unless Carthus had already fallen by the time Farron came about.

Carthus had Abyss in it and Wolnir got sucked into it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks Bloodborne is the best Souls game.

Granted that the multiplayer stuff is kind of weak though, so if you highly prioritize that... then it's probably Souls 2 that's your favorite.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Harrow posted:

Farron wasn't like a big kingdom, it was just a castle/wall sitting in the woods. Also it makes some sense that it's connected to Carthus since the Undead Legion's whole deal was keeping an eye on the abyss, which Wolnir fell into. I do think it's implicit that Carthus fell a long time ago because everybody there is skeletons, and Farron/the Legion is pretty much in the terminal stage of collapse by the time the player walks in anyway.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I don't think Irithyll and Anor Londo were originally linked just because if you go to Anor Londo in front of the Giant Blacksmith's door, the buttresses just go off into nothing. Plus, Aldrich was at one point living in the Cathedral and was seemingly recently moved. It'd make sense if he moved after Anor Londo appeared.

How Aldrich and Sulyvahn are connected is a mystery to me because it seems like Irithyll isn't native to the "main" land of Lothric, Undead Settlement, Cathedral of the Deep areas, plus connecting areas, yet their alliance is seemingly a big part of recent history.

e: Do you get Concord proofs as a Darkmoon if you're invaded by an Aldrich Faithful and kill them, or only get a bonus one if you're a phantom?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 12, 2016

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Simply Simon posted:

Yesterday I invaded as a purple in Irithyll, realized something was up when I saw that
a) "kill 3 phantoms or the host"
b) every single enemy was dead
then ran into a four-man gank squad.

This is the hidden reason why mound makers is the best pvp covenant - it has built in gank squad detection, so you can just black crystal out if you don't feel like going up against rediculous odds. Also when you get into a dumb clusterfuck and backstab some reds :3:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

RabidWeasel posted:

This is the hidden reason why mound makers is the best pvp covenant - it has built in gank squad detection, so you can just black crystal out if you don't feel like going up against rediculous odds. Also when you get into a dumb clusterfuck and backstab some reds :3:

That's actually why I stopped using Rosaria's Fingers after I got the Obscuring Ring. Too much time beating my head against 3-man or 4-man gank squads.

Although another good indication that you're about to be ganked is if you see "Dark spirit so-and-so has returned home" before you even find the host. If someone else already decided to gently caress off and leave, you should probably do it too.

I mean, I'll give the 3v1 a shot if they're actually in the level doing stuff, because it's super satisfying to wear them down through attrition and having the mobs drain their Estus for me. That to me feels like how invasions "should" go. But if they're just being bitches and standing by the bonfire and one of them has the Dragonslayer Swordspear when I'm doing a low-level invasion... nah I'm good, go pick on someone else.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kild posted:

Carthus had Abyss in it and Wolnir got sucked into it.

skasion posted:

Farron wasn't like a big kingdom, it was just a castle/wall sitting in the woods. Also it makes some sense that it's connected to Carthus since the Undead Legion's whole deal was keeping an eye on the abyss, which Wolnir fell into. I do think it's implicit that Carthus fell a long time ago because everybody there is skeletons, and Farron/the Legion is pretty much in the terminal stage of collapse by the time the player walks in anyway.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Ravenfood posted:

I don't think Irithyll and Anor Londo were originally linked just because if you go to Anor Londo in front of the Giant Blacksmith's door, the buttresses just go off into nothing. Plus, Aldrich was at one point living in the Cathedral and was seemingly recently moved. It'd make sense if he moved after Anor Londo appeared.

How Aldrich and Sulyvahn are connected is a mystery to me because it seems like Irithyll isn't native to the "main" land of Lothric, Undead Settlement, Cathedral of the Deep areas, plus connecting areas, yet their alliance is seemingly a big part of recent history.

The Cathedral in question is where you find Aldrich--he was locked into the Anor Londo Cathedral with Gwyndolin by Sulyvahn.

I'm not too sure whether Irithyll is the city you can see from Anor Londo in DS1 or not. Anor Londo itself has definitely fallen into disrepair, and a lot of the connections with the rest of it are broken off, while Irithyll looks to be really well-maintained. It's possible that Anor Londo fell into disrepair, lost in the mists of time, and emerged in the middle of Irithyll during the convergence. Or it's possible that life went on in the city around Anor Londo and people just let the central castle and cathedral decay.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that makes sense.

The Cathedral in question is where you find Aldrich--he was locked into the Anor Londo Cathedral with Gwyndolin by Sulyvahn.

I'm not too sure whether Irithyll is the city you can see from Anor Londo in DS1 or not. Anor Londo itself has definitely fallen into disrepair, and a lot of the connections with the rest of it are broken off, while Irithyll looks to be really well-maintained. It's possible that Anor Londo fell into disrepair, lost in the mists of time, and emerged in the middle of Irithyll during the convergence. Or it's possible that life went on in the city around Anor Londo and people just let the central castle and cathedral decay.

I've been replaying DS2, and while I had gone kind of lukewarm on Loyce=Irithyll I'm beginning to pick it back up again. The architecture of the actual city buildings in both are very similar, as are many of the smaller flourishes, like a focus on wrought-iron gates and such. I'm gonna take a closer, spergier look soon when I have the time to see how much of it is my imagination.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fuligin posted:

I've been replaying DS2, and while I had gone kind of lukewarm on Loyce=Irithyll I'm beginning to pick it back up again. The architecture of the actual city buildings in both are very similar, as are many of the smaller flourishes, like a focus on wrought-iron gates and such. I'm gonna take a closer, spergier look soon when I have the time to see how much of it is my imagination.

I think it's more likely that both Eleum Loyce and Irithyll were meant to visually call back to Anor Londo and have similar architectural influences as a result, than that they're the same place. Of course, that's complicated by the fact that Anor Londo is actually in Irithyll in DS3, but still.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks Bloodborne is the best Souls game.

Granted that the multiplayer stuff is kind of weak though, so if you highly prioritize that... then it's probably Souls 2 that's your favorite.

I'd say the level design is pretty hit or miss but the core gameplay is the best in the series by far. going to dark souls 3 after bloodborne was a pretty major step back in a lot of ways, even if the level design is way better on the whole here. def the most fun to play to me

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Harrow posted:

I think it's more likely that both Eleum Loyce and Irithyll were meant to visually call back to Anor Londo and have similar architectural influences as a result, than that they're the same place. Of course, that's complicated by the fact that Anor Londo is actually in Irithyll in DS3, but still.

Yeah I'd lean that way, but the whole "profaned flame" thing beneath the city echoes Loyce strongly. Of course we get no actual info on what the profaned flame even is, so yeah.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Team fortress 2 tauntkilling has gone in a new and exciting direction

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Harrow posted:

Hmm? I thought that the giant cube thing behind the the Deacons was his "tomb". Anri says that they went to the Cathedral of the Deep and found Aldrich's coffin empty, so they are off to look again. But now that I've looked it up, they also say that they heard rumors that Aldrich returned to his "true" home, so now I don't know. It seems pretty clear to me that Aldrich was at one point living in the Cathedral of the Deep, though.

e:

Fuligin posted:

Yeah I'd lean that way, but the whole "profaned flame" thing beneath the city echoes Loyce strongly. Of course we get no actual info on what the profaned flame even is, so yeah.
The text on the spell of the same name says that the Profaned Capital was immolated after Yhorm became a Lord of Cinder, but how that's connected with the Profaned Flame that Sulyvahn found underneath Irithyll, I'm not sure.

Also confusing me is that Quelana and Quelaag can be found in the Smouldering Ruins, but they aren't linked physically with Anor Londo, despite being from the same "world". Maybe its just the dimensional layers overlapping irregularly or in patches.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 12, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I'm pretty sure either Anor Londo or the Profaned Capital have to be connected to Irythyll. As Sulyvahn is said to have been from Irythyll and jealous of the divine royalty, or something similar at least, which is why he brought Aldritch to the City and locked up Gwyndolin. I'd say Irythyll is just the bits of Anor Londo we didn't visit in the first game rebuilt and redesigned by Sulyvahn out of spite.

Basically Sulyvahn's story requires at least one of the other locations connected to Irythyll to actually be so and it's entirely possible both of them do but less likely. One thing that confuses me is why he has Drang Knights hanging out if he isn't somehow connected to DS2. Although he also has a picture of Nashandra and there's the whole Frozen Valley thing, which is basically Eleum Loyce anyway.

Actually upon further fought having Anor Londo and it's Old Cathedral suddenly appearing in Irythyll kind of works, and the royals of Irythyll being "divinities" kind of works if they're descended from the Ivory King because wasn't he a War God of some sort? Actually what if Irythyll and the Profaned Capital are an alternate Timeline from the second game, wherein the Giant Lord succeeds in overthrowing Vendrick and the Ivory King and the Old Chaos work out differently. Then eventually Anor Londo drops in on top of the place because of reasons and Pontiff uses that moment to take power from the royals, perhaps by allying with Gwyndolin and instating his rule over theirs. Even later he overthrows Gwyndolin using the Cathedral of the Deep.

Basically what I'm saying is Sulyvahn is a spiteful dick who is using Aldritch like his own personal Bogeyman.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 12, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

anor londo is literally connected to irithyll

the pontiff went and saw the profaned flame or something, I forget. his fire sword mentions it

edit: "A ceremonial sword, held in Pontiff Sulyvahn's right hand, representing the Profaned Flame.

Long ago, when Sulyvahn was yet a young sorcerer, he discovered the Profaned Capital and an unfading flame below a distant tundra of Irithyll, and a burning ambition took root within him."

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 12, 2016

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Harrow posted:

As a new player, this poo poo has been seriously confusing. While I get that lothric has been quite literally lifted up, everything else seems relatively connected.

Before Lothric was raised a half mile in to the air, the layout of all the areas makes decent sense. You have Lothric Castle with the undead settlement and the keep of the abyss watchers located just outside the castle, along with the massive Cathedral of the Deep just outside the undead settlement, and nearby Farron Keep. So you have a castle, a suburb of undead, a huge cathedral too big to build in the castle, and an external keep of warriors.

Connected via ancient catacombs as well as a road (now covered by a rockslide) is Irithyl, a rich neighborhood of nobles located not far from Lothric Castle. Underneath Irithyl is the smoldering lake and the dungeon, where the Profaned Capital is buried. and to the other side is what is left of Anor Londo. None of this seems disconnected from Lothric, and before the time of the game, would hardly be all that weird, at least in terms of geography.

The only area that does not "fit' is Anor Londo, due to its size and the lack of everything else that made up the city. Due to the huge time frames involved, it could be the rest of the city was torn down and replaced with Lothric, or Anor Londo literally did appear in the area one day, perhaps at the same time as Lothric was raised up.

What is weird to me, is there are almost no areas actually showing a convergence of areas being "smashed" together. Yes you see that at the very end, but that location is probably not representing reality. Besides Lothric, there is nothing else really visually indicating some kind of conflux. Buildings chopped off midway, tremendously different landscapes right next to one another, roads that stop suddenly, etc.

To me it all says that while time fuckery is happening, at least pulling things from the past into the present, not much in terms of lands moving is happening.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fuligin posted:

Yeah, that's also a good point. What's interesting is that the Profaned Capital--itself consumed by the Profaned Flame--is right under Irithyll, too. That could be linked to the Old Chaos for sure.

Ravenfood posted:

Hmm? I thought that the giant cube thing behind the the Deacons was his "tomb". Anri says that they went to the Cathedral of the Deep and found Aldrich's coffin empty, so they are off to look again. But now that I've looked it up, they also say that they heard rumors that Aldrich returned to his "true" home, so now I don't know. It seems pretty clear to me that Aldrich was at one point living in the Cathedral of the Deep, though.

Oh, right. His tomb was definitely in the Cathedral of the Deep, but he moved to Irithyll with ol' Sulyvahn when he woke up. Sulyvahn then put him in the Anor Londo Cathedral with Gwyndolin (at least going by Sulyvahn's soul's description). We were talking about different cathedrals :v:

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
If you have ever blacked crystalled out of an invasion for any reason other than pity or sadness I don't even know what to say to you.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'd say the level design is pretty hit or miss but the core gameplay is the best in the series by far. going to dark souls 3 after bloodborne was a pretty major step back in a lot of ways, even if the level design is way better on the whole here. def the most fun to play to me

The levels are definitely more linear and less elaborate than in DS3, it's true. I wonder if those are technical issues that they hadn't worked out yet for the PS4, since DS3 runs fine at 60 FPS for the most part and has some pretty massive maps (although you can definitely tell where the loading zones are in areas like Cathedral of the Deep).

eta:

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

If you have ever blacked crystalled out of an invasion for any reason other than pity or sadness I don't even know what to say to you.

I mean, I pity people that stand around by a bonfire with an active seed and three friends just to kill invaders one by one. Most people don't even make sport of it, they just want to kill invaders for... no gain at all? I don't feel bad crystaling out of that nonsense. They can waste their own time, not mine.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 12, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

To me it all says that while time fuckery is happening, at least pulling things from the past into the present, not much in terms of lands moving is happening.

Yeah, I think I agree that it's more about time-fuckery than geography getting screwy, especially given how logical it all looks when you look out from Vordt's bonfire area. It's possible all of these places existed in the same geographical area, just in different ages, and now time is collapsing, Final Fantasy VIII time compressionkompression style.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Manatee Cannon posted:

what makes dark souls 3's level design so much better than bloodborne ?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I black crystaled out of one when I saw the host was just endlessly rolling through the level, looting items and heading to the boss door. Another one when he'd hide behind the boss fog to estus and peek his head back out when he felt confident enough to swing at me.

Sometimes it's not worth the effort when you could be back in the queue to run into someone else instead of fighting someone you know you won't beat, even if you won't lose. :shrug:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I'll harass giants seed gank squads for about 15 minutes before finally running out of estus or arrows then black crystal out. The ideal situation is invading the exact same group consecutive times and doing the exact same thing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

The levels are definitely more linear and less elaborate than in DS3, it's true. I wonder if those are technical issues that they hadn't worked out yet for the PS4, since DS3 runs fine at 60 FPS for the most part and has some pretty massive maps (although you can definitely tell where the loading zones are in areas like Cathedral of the Deep).

central yharnam and the woods are pretty similar to what you get in dark souls 3. it's not a matter of simple vs elaborate tho; I think several of the later areas in bloodborne are just weak on the whole. yahar'gul, the nightmare frontier, and the nightmare of mensis aren't fun to explore for various reasons

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I think I agree that it's more about time-fuckery than geography getting screwy, especially given how logical it all looks when you look out from Vordt's bonfire area. It's possible all of these places existed in the same geographical area, just in different ages, and now time is collapsing, Final Fantasy VIII time compressionkompression style.

I'm not even certain anything beyond anor londo is out of place or time. the abyss watchers being a force that operates under the dominion of Lothric makes sense, so does a ghetto for the undead, and a nice place for the rich.

Everything seems to have been a functional city state before Lothric was raised up, and the undead curse started gaining strength.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah, a few of Bloodborne's levels are pretty linear or simple, but then there are standouts like Central Yharnam, Forbidden Woods, Castle Cainhurst, and all the DLC areas. Its atmosphere and the core gameplay make it the best in the series for me, still.

I also think its optional areas are more satisfying than DS3's. For optional areas, DS3 has Consumed King's Garden (a short, straight line to a boss), Untended Graves (really cool, but a copy-pasted area that isn't particularly long), Archdragon Peak (the biggest one for sure), and Smouldering Lake (a crappy lake and then more Catacombs but this time with fire and ghru). Bloodborne has Nightmare Frontier (feels similar to Smouldering Lake but better), Castle Cainhurst (owns), Hemwick Charnel Lane (nothing special, but feels like a fully-fledged area), and Upper Cathedral Ward (top notch atmosphere, even if it isn't very long).

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Manatee Cannon posted:

central yharnam and the woods are pretty similar to what you get in dark souls 3. it's not a matter of simple vs elaborate tho; I think several of the later areas in bloodborne are just weak on the whole. yahar'gul, the nightmare frontier, and the nightmare of mensis aren't fun to explore for various reasons

Eh that's a matter of taste I guess, Nightmare of Mensis is one of my favorite zones once you get inside the building (the intro is total garbage though); the mobs are really cool and weird and it feels like a really cool buildup to the end of the game. Also Mergo's Wet Nurse is one of my favorite bosses. Yahar'gul is a cool enough zone because it's one of the few zones in any game that's actually inherently difficult and threatening -- most levels in most of these games are easy enough to get through by sheer force of will once you understand the game mechanics.

Nightmare Frontier is pretty bad though.

e: Although the existence of Fishing Hamlet really redeems the bad zones to me.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I was doing co-op on the Old Demon King and the host was hit for half of his HP by the very first attack from the boss. He rolls back, I hear Helloooooo, and he dies a second later, having forgotten to switch back to the estus flask.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Harrow posted:

I don't know, I still think it looks like Anor Londo just popped out of thin air into Irithyll one day to me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I'm not even certain anything beyond anor londo is out of place or time. the abyss watchers being a force that operates under the dominion of Lothric makes sense, so does a ghetto for the undead, and a nice place for the rich.

Everything seems to have been a functional city state before Lothric was raised up, and the undead curse started gaining strength.

The Undead Legion, at least, hasn't been around for a while. Everyone we meet involved with the Legion is either Unkindled (Hawkwood) or a Lord of Cinder (the Abyss Watchers), which means they've all been some form or another of dead for a long while.

Ravenfood posted:

I don't know, I still think it looks like Anor Londo just popped out of thin air into Irithyll one day to me.

That's still possible if it's just "time compression." Irithyll might have been built where Anor Londo once was, and then time started getting screwy and boom, up pops Anor Londo right where it used to be.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
so with poise being all jacked up is there no reason not to be a rag wearing murderhobo? other than being the best by default

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Million Ghosts posted:

so with poise being all jacked up is there no reason not to be a rag wearing murderhobo? other than being the best by default

It's fashion, it's always been fashion, it will always be fashion. You wear what looks best.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Eh that's a matter of taste I guess, Nightmare of Mensis is one of my favorite zones once you get inside the building (the intro is total garbage though); the mobs are really cool and weird and it feels like a really cool buildup to the end of the game. Also Mergo's Wet Nurse is one of my favorite bosses. Yahar'gul is a cool enough zone because it's one of the few zones in any game that's actually inherently difficult and threatening -- most levels in most of these games are easy enough to get through by sheer force of will once you understand the game mechanics.

Nightmare Frontier is pretty bad though.

e: Although the existence of Fishing Hamlet really redeems the bad zones to me.

I don't find yahar'gul at all threatening. it just has an obnoxious gimmick that stops being a threat once you figure it out. the enemies aren't fun to fight, the boss is lame, and honestly I just don't like looking at that area. also the boss run back is kinda dumb because you have to run past a bunch of jack-in-the-boxes shooting at you. the beginning of mensis is like half of the area, then you get to the dumb gimmick boss which is a complete joke that people only remember for that one line he says and his absurd hat. the frontier is a joke and you can ignore about 95% of the level, but if you don't you'll be contending with a poison swamp and a bunch of giants throwing boulders at you

mergo's wet nurse is the boss of mergo's loft, not the nightmare of mensis. they're different areas

the dlc areas are all excellent but that's souls dlc for you. fishing hamlet is the best level in the series, aesthetically speaking

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
rags and barefoot is the height of fashion you plebeian

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Manatee Cannon posted:

mergo's wet nurse is the boss of mergo's loft, not the nightmare of mensis. they're different areas

The entire zone is called Nightmare of Mensis no matter what lamp you start at I think. That's completely splitting hairs though.

And you can take the bath teleport for the One Reborn run back. You trade the cramped coffins for dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Harrow posted:

Yeah, a few of Bloodborne's levels are pretty linear or simple, but then there are standouts like Central Yharnam, Forbidden Woods, Castle Cainhurst, and all the DLC areas. Its atmosphere and the core gameplay make it the best in the series for me, still.

I also think its optional areas are more satisfying than DS3's. For optional areas, DS3 has Consumed King's Garden (a short, straight line to a boss), Untended Graves (really cool, but a copy-pasted area that isn't particularly long), Archdragon Peak (the biggest one for sure), and Smouldering Lake (a crappy lake and then more Catacombs but this time with fire and ghru). Bloodborne has Nightmare Frontier (feels similar to Smouldering Lake but better), Castle Cainhurst (owns), Hemwick Charnel Lane (nothing special, but feels like a fully-fledged area), and Upper Cathedral Ward (top notch atmosphere, even if it isn't very long).

Agreed, and Old Yharnam/Hypogean Gaol is also technically an optional area that owns more than any of the optional areas in DS3 and even some of the main areas.

I cannot believe people think Dark Souls 3 has better levels "on the whole" compared to Bloodborne. It's fine to think Bloodborne had some lacking areas, which it certainly does, but then holy poo poo does Dark Souls 3 have them too.