Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

...goddamnit. http://codepen.io/colorcrate/pen/NNejRN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

Lumpy posted:

If it's something CSS can animate (phone posting so I can't look it up easy) you can animate with:

.wh { transition: all 0.3s }

Good thought. Found that this works (it's neat, give it a shot on some image as a test):

.wh {
-webkit-filter: grayscale(0%) drop-shadow(0px 0px 3px #000);
-webkit-transition: .5s ease-in-out;
-moz-filter: grayscale(0%) drop-shadow(0px 0px 3px #000);
-moz-transition: .5s ease-in-out;
-o-filter: grayscale(0%) drop-shadow(0px 0px 3px #000);
-o-transition: .5s ease-in-out;
}

.wh:hover {
-webkit-filter: grayscale(100%) drop-shadow(0px 0px 3px #000);
-webkit-transition: 3s ease-in-out;
-moz-filter: grayscale(100%) drop-shadow(0px 0px 3px #000);
-moz-transition: 3s ease-in-out;
-o-filter: grayscale(100%) drop-shadow(0px 0px 3px #000);
-o-transition: 3s ease-in-out;
}

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

ddiddles posted:

That's a way better solution than mine :)

drat pseudo classes, what can't you do.

I need to start using them more, that solution made me fell dumb :smith:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

nexus6 posted:

Is there a way to use Twitter's API to tweet an image on a user's account? Basically I want to use a Web Intent but also include an image.

[...]

Next I looked at the OAuth API which appears to allow you to upload media and post tweets, but only on the account the app is tied to?

If you implement OAuth you can make your users login with Twitter and then upload/post the picture using their token. It'll use your app as client but the image will be posted to your user's timeline.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

nexus6 posted:

Ideally I'd like to be able to allow users to log into their own account and tweet the image without having to say "download the file, log into Twitter and please post the image with this tweet copy kthx"
Try hello.js.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Kekekela posted:

I need to start using them more, that solution made me fell dumb :smith:

Definitely don't feel bad about that - CSS is not well designed, so it's both annoying to learn and requires a lot of crazy assed workarounds

cZk
Oct 6, 2014

i am a flight risk
and i am in flight
I can't recommend Django enough. The documentation and ecosystem is absolutely incredible. We are about to deploy a react spa in production with Django rest framework and Django channels on the backend . It's been a fun ride.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

gmq posted:

If you implement OAuth you can make your users login with Twitter and then upload/post the picture using their token. It'll use your app as client but the image will be posted to your user's timeline.

Thanks!

EDIT: Ok, I'm really not getting this. I need a proxy for OAuth or something? I can't really find a guide on what you need to do here, just completed examples that don't explain what you need to do.

EDIT 2: I figured it out using the php OAuth library. There's a lot of tokens flying back and forth but I got it working and I *think* I understand how it works

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 6, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Do we have any Sitecore developers floating around here? I've been scheduled to take the training in Sausalito 5/24 to 5/27. The most I've done with Sitecore are some bug fixes and the usual poo poo, I'm also not a C# developer really. How comprehensive is this training in terms of passing the exam at the end? Any helpful tips or things I should definitely look for? Pretty nerve wracking since my manager decided to send me to make more well rounded (we were tech agnostic until he was hired on about 3 months ago and he is pushing us to be a full on .NET shop).

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is there a good keyword tracking / SEO helper service like moz.com or ahrefs.com but which costs like $30 a month instead of $100? They are all so drat expensive.

Alternatively, does anyone wanna share a moz / ahrefs account and pay half each? Their basic plans let you track 5 sites but I only need to track 2.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
What are people's opinion of KeystoneJS? WordPress is a drag and I want a CMS backend that will let me keep drinking the Node.js koolaid.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Anony Mouse posted:

What are people's opinion of KeystoneJS? WordPress is a drag and I want a CMS backend that will let me keep drinking the Node.js koolaid.

If it's your personal site I'd say it could be a fun experiment. If somebody is paying you to make a site, and you chose this to build it in, then please stop and consider abandoning the profession forever.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
So I'm about halfway through Web Development with Node and Express, the Oreilly book, and I was wondering how to get started actually making stuff for a portfolio or whatever. Should I just try to recreate websites I think look cool, put them all together on the same host, and call it a portfolio? Is that how you guys do that portfolio stuff?

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Jimlit posted:

If it's your personal site I'd say it could be a fun experiment. If somebody is paying you to make a site, and you chose this to build it in, then please stop and consider abandoning the profession forever.
Why?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

My guess is one of two things....

1. He's used it and has technical reasons for saying so, which he helpfully didn't tell you.

2. "omg node, lol"

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
More like good luck to the poor dude that has to figure out how to maintain it after you've left.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

BlackMK4 posted:

Do we have any Sitecore developers floating around here? I've been scheduled to take the training in Sausalito 5/24 to 5/27. The most I've done with Sitecore are some bug fixes and the usual poo poo, I'm also not a C# developer really. How comprehensive is this training in terms of passing the exam at the end? Any helpful tips or things I should definitely look for? Pretty nerve wracking since my manager decided to send me to make more well rounded (we were tech agnostic until he was hired on about 3 months ago and he is pushing us to be a full on .NET shop).

I got my "Sitecore Certified Professional Developer" certification while I was transitioning into a developer role (from operations) at my current workplace. I already had some experience with C# and .NET, but not ASP and none of it was within an enterprise or team environment. Our whole team went on the course and I was (by a massive margin) the most junior dev there. I was able to get by fine and pass the exam.

When you say you've done "bug fixes", does that mean you've used rocks and hacked on a real site? If so, you're already way ahead.

For context, we are a 100% .NET shop and 90% of our publicly facing apps are DNN "modules" (although most of them are actually larger then DNN itself). We currently have a project in place at the moment to replace the content side of our sites with Sitecore. I'm not actually on that project so it's technically not my problem until it goes live, but I'm happy to relay questions to my team mates if you have them?

While I'm not exactly a fan of DNN (is anyone?), at least it's a simple application with simple infrastructure requirements. Sitecore by comparison feels hugely over-engineered with an absolute poo poo ton of legacy baggage, I am not at all looking forward to supporting it.

I've flicked you a PM with some other details too. :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've set up Sitecore using Sitecore Rocks and out of the zip file as described in the official PDF. I've never really gone further than poking through the content editor and experience editor on a fresh install. I've done the usual bug fixes you encounter on a new and existing site build but nothing real in depth. Just enough to grasp the hell that everything is an item, there is no traditional database structure, and how to start pulling stuff from models to views.

I have zero .NET experience and I've only been a dev (on paper) for about a year now. We are a medium size agency and there are currently only three devs on the team (including me), down from 8 when I was hired. We've got three decent builds coming down the pipe and due by the 1st of the year.

I've always viewed the Microsoft stack as something I didn't want to touch with a ten foot pole, but I've kinda been shoved into it and I'm going to go with the flow. I guess I'm mostly worried because of the zero .NET experience... I don't really know if that will be a factor in passing this class. Is it?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

BlackMK4 posted:

I've set up Sitecore using Sitecore Rocks and out of the zip file as described in the official PDF. I've never really gone further than poking through the content editor and experience editor on a fresh install. I've done the usual bug fixes you encounter on a new and existing site build but nothing real in depth. Just enough to grasp the hell that everything is an item, there is no traditional database structure, and how to start pulling stuff from models to views.

I have zero .NET experience and I've only been a dev (on paper) for about a year now. We are a medium size agency and there are currently only three devs on the team (including me), down from 8 when I was hired. We've got three decent builds coming down the pipe and due by the 1st of the year.

Do you also have an operations team? I can't imagine choosing Sitecore as a solution with such a small team. Our business users and marketing were sold on Sitecore without involving any devs. The only benefit I can see in using it is when you've got a horde of non-technical users having to update content. "This is the product we are going to use, start training your developers" - literally how we come to use Sitecore.

BlackMK4 posted:

I've always viewed the Microsoft stack as something I didn't want to touch with a ten foot pole, but I've kinda been shoved into it and I'm going to go with the flow.
You don't choose Microsoft. It chooses you.

BlackMK4 posted:

I guess I'm mostly worried because of the zero .NET experience... I don't really know if that will be a factor in passing this class. Is it?
A lot of the material and subsequent exam is focused around knowledge of Sitecore itself, technically you don't really need to know much about .NET to pass the exam if you are a quick learner. That being said, the classes involve sitting down in Visual Studio with Sitecore Rocks. You'll write C# and use ASP.NET/Razor.

I would probably say to whip up a "babies first MVC app" in ASP.NET and don't stress too much about the rest. Personally I think going into Sitecore Rocks and trying to hack away at a Sitecore site blind would be super intimating, can't really recommend that approach. If you are actually learning and getting somewhere by doing that then yeah, definitely continue.

If you haven't already, go sign up for Visual Studio Dev Essentials, it gives you 6 months of Pluralsight (limited library) access. Watch some intro course to ASP.NET and create a very basic app. This should probably give you enough of a foundation to get you through.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Xik posted:

Do you also have an operations team? I can't imagine choosing Sitecore as a solution with such a small team. Our business users and marketing were sold on Sitecore without involving any devs. The only benefit I can see in using it is when you've got a horde of non-technical users having to update content. "This is the product we are going to use, start training your developers" - literally how we come to use Sitecore.
Not really, the sales team has sold a lot of Sitecore builds (big budget) in the past so that continues. All of the other teams (CRO/SEO/CONT/Sales/etc) expect every build to work like a WYSIWYG to some extent, and be flexible. No one has really reset that expectation and since we are a marketing agency dev really has no voice. I have a lot of words about our problems but I don't have solutions that would work so it is what it is while I ride the train. I've only been a dev for a year but I handle a large percentage of the workload (read: everything that isn't Sitecore, and sometimes I do some of that work too) and we do a lot of work. I learn quick and work quick. I used an intern position to get in despite not being in school, was hired on full time after two weeks, and was given my first solo build a month in. I appreciate what I've gotten here.

quote:

A lot of the material and subsequent exam is focused around knowledge of Sitecore itself, technically you don't really need to know much about .NET to pass the exam if you are a quick learner. That being said, the classes involve sitting down in Visual Studio with Sitecore Rocks. You'll write C# and use ASP.NET/Razor.

I would probably say to whip up a "babies first MVC app" in ASP.NET and don't stress too much about the rest. Personally I think going into Sitecore Rocks and trying to hack away at a Sitecore site blind would be super intimating, can't really recommend that approach. If you are actually learning and getting somewhere by doing that then yeah, definitely continue.

If you haven't already, go sign up for Visual Studio Dev Essentials, it gives you 6 months of Pluralsight (limited library) access. Watch some intro course to ASP.NET and create a very basic app. This should probably give you enough of a foundation to get you through.

Thank you, I'm going to go ahead and do this. I've written basic stuff in C# before and lightly used Razor in other sitecore/umbraco sites I was doing bug fixes and minor feature updates on, but since I don't know the underlying APIs it's just a lot of Googling to figure out what I'm actually looking for. I'm going to get this done. :)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 7, 2016

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

BlackMK4 posted:

I learn quick and work quick. I used an intern position to get in despite not being in school, was hired on full time after two weeks, and was given my first solo build a month in. I appreciate what I've gotten here.

Then you'll honestly be fine. Armed with basic .NET MVC knowledge and the ability to pay attention in a class environment, you're pretty much sorted.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Can anyone explain what's going on here?

I have the max bid set to £1 but I got charged £3.50 for that one click? :confused:

I have the "Enhanced" CPC thing turned on, but that is only supposed to add a max of 30% to your bid.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Is there anything else about the Enhanced CPC in their documentation? Like maybe the blended CPC didn't get back down to under 30% because of the low amount of impressions?

(I'm a UX Designer at an adtech company so I half know what I'm talking about, half completely talking out of my rear end.)

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I'm looking into ways to style an email that's going to be sent from outlook. Not a coded HTML email - I mean just whatever we can style in an email sent from Outlook. I'm having a hard time finding anything - are there any resources out there that someone's used before? I mean like changing background color, link colors, header/footer, etc? What's out there? I know this is going to be painful, but I've got to at least explore it a little.

Edit: It looks like I can do what I want in Word, maybe, and then send what I make in Word to Outlook. I can do a little formatting, at least, which might give me all I want. Christ I hate emails.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 10, 2016

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

pipebomb posted:

[edit]Yes, I have to work with loving drupal now and I loathe it.

Just chiming in to say that Drupal is loving garbage. I used to like it, but Drupal 8 is somehow an unrecognizable, incomprehensible pile of words and menus that do gently caress all. Writing a whole site in Notepad++ with HTML and CSS and arranging everything manually would be preferable to this mess.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ema Nymton posted:

Just chiming in to say that Drupal is loving garbage. I used to like it, but Drupal 8 is somehow an unrecognizable, incomprehensible pile of words and menus that do gently caress all. Writing a whole site in Notepad++ with HTML and CSS and arranging everything manually would be preferable to this mess.

Every CMS is terrible all the time. They're all designed to offload minor unpleasantness on "content creators" by turning it into a five-fingered prostate exam for developers.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

I need my ASP.NET webapp to provide a couple confirmation dialogs to the user, but it involves database data pulled just before the dialog happens (needs to be real-time). So as far as I can tell I need to make a client-side dialog from the code behind or query the database from javascript. I'm not having luck on figuring out how to do either, does someone less terrible than me know what I should do?

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Plant your brassicas in may and cover them in mulch.

jackpot posted:

Christ I hate emails.

Just chiming in to say emails is hosed. Outlook and it's jiggery fuckery means they're firmly stuck in 1996.

Even if you try to bring best practices or layout tricks to emails, outlook will feed your html through its own parser and renderer, which converts it to word xml, making guacamole of your otherwise functional code.
Table layouts. Inline styles.   fixes. Punching yourself in the head.

Whatever you code in, check how it gets received in outlook, in each variation of office. It's a god drat poo poo show.

Check out https://putsmail.com/ for a css inliner, and tester. There's lots of these kinds of services.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

HoboMan posted:

I need my ASP.NET webapp to provide a couple confirmation dialogs to the user, but it involves database data pulled just before the dialog happens (needs to be real-time). So as far as I can tell I need to make a client-side dialog from the code behind or query the database from javascript. I'm not having luck on figuring out how to do either, does someone less terrible than me know what I should do?

Can you just make an ajax call to a web api/controller (assuming you're doing some kind of MVC webapp)?

I usually make an ajax call to a controller, do some kind of LINQ query (can use stored procedures too), and return a JSON result to the ajax call. Then you can do whatever from there with javascript for your dialogs.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Thanks for the help, unfortunately it's web forms and also I've never used Ajax or JSON before, but I'll look in to doing a similar thing.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

PT6A posted:

Every CMS is terrible all the time. They're all designed to offload minor unpleasantness on "content creators" by turning it into a five-fingered prostate exam for developers.

I'd say that CMSs are fine so long as you know what you're doing. "I don't know how to do thing in [CMS]" does not mean "CMS is terrible". By that metric I think Wordpress is awful because I don't know how to use it yet, astoundingly, it's very popular. A colleague hated Drupal because he never bothered to learn how to write modules for it or use it's API and his code is loving horrendous.

Also I've been doing this job for 7 years and I've yet to meet a "content creator" who is happy to manage their site themselves instead of emailing/phoning me every time they want a new article posted or a typo corrected or anything that they can do themselves if they ever bothered to log in.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We have a new version of an app and an old version, running on different URLs and servers. When you log in to the old app, we want to give an option to go to the new app and be logged in already. Both apps have the same credentials, and they have access to the same database.

What's a good approach to this? I've used SAML for single sign on before but it's a pretty complicated flow and OpenSaml is a big dependency to add if you don't actually need to be standards compliant.

At the moment, our proof of concept is to just submit the new sites login form from the old site which works surprisingly well... if we turn off the CSRF prevention. And Firefox shows a scary warning. So not great.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

nexus6 posted:

I'd say that CMSs are fine so long as you know what you're doing. "I don't know how to do thing in [CMS]" does not mean "CMS is terrible". By that metric I think Wordpress is awful because I don't know how to use it yet, astoundingly, it's very popular. A colleague hated Drupal because he never bothered to learn how to write modules for it or use it's API and his code is loving horrendous.

WordPress is legitimately terrible though, even though I've bent my brain enough to figure out how it usually likes to work.

If you have constant access to an actual developer, I'd argue it's usually better to use a framework like Django instead of cobbling together an approximation of what you want using a traditional CMS. Every CMS has the inherent disadvantage of dealing with unstructured data, which means you're always going to be wasting time trying to make a general purpose tool do whatever it is you want. Further, you still need to know traditional HTML/CSS and probably JavaScript if you, for any reason, would like to do something non-trivial in terms of design anyway.

Maybe there's some CMS that doesn't have these problems, but ultimately the less you have to force your ideas to fit the CMS's paradigm, the closer it becomes to a framework, and at that point why not just use a framework instead?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

PT6A posted:

WordPress is legitimately terrible though, even though I've bent my brain enough to figure out how it usually likes to work.

I don't know, WordPress sells like hotcakes...

PT6A posted:

If you have constant access to an actual developer

...to people who don't have this.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

kedo posted:

I don't know, WordPress sells like hotcakes...

...to people who don't have this.

In my experience clients are likely to go for a wordpress installation because 'we can't afford a developer' until they find the one thing their theme can't do.

I've had a client who went with wordpress because they thought it was the cheaper option but ended up spending so much asking us to make modifications and additions because their theme didn't do exactly what they wanted they might as well have asked us for a bespoke build from the get go.

Trying to explain the sunk cost fallacy to clients is an exercise in futility.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Hopefully a simple question. How do you control padding on wrapped text within a div?

Right now I have something like

code:

This is a div that wraps with 10px of
left padding

I'd like it to render as

code:
    left padding

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

mintskoal posted:

Hopefully a simple question. How do you control padding on wrapped text within a div?

code:

left padding

I'd like it to render as

code:
    left padding

It should just work like that.

https://codepen.io/anon/pen/NNmjJW

Do you have example code?

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

mintskoal posted:

code:

left padding

I'd like it to render as

code:
    left padding

What's your HTML looking like that your text is behaving like that? Just adding padding to the container div should have it flush left like this.

e;fb

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

nexus6 posted:

It should just work like that.

https://codepen.io/anon/pen/NNmjJW

Do you have example code?

It's basically this http://codepen.io/anon/pen/eZoWqW

Except that the + is actually from an internal icon font and renders the same height as the text <div>. I'm seeing 5px of padding on the first line of the div, but on the second line when the text wraps it's like the padding doesn't exist. I know this is by design but I'm not sure how to fix it aside from a hacky nbsp before the wrapped word.

SixPabst fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

mintskoal posted:

It's basically this http://codepen.io/anon/pen/eZoWqW

Except that the + is actually from an internal icon font and renders the same height as the text <div>. I'm seeing 5px of padding on the first line of the div, but on the second line when the text wraps it's like the padding doesn't exist. I know this is by design but I'm not sure how to fix it aside from a hacky nbsp before the wrapped word.

So you want the wrapped text to the right of the + without a layout change or are you seeing something that's not in the example?