Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plom Bar posted:

They did pay the writers and artists for Paradox Space (though evidently with an unsustainable model), so there's no reason to assume the latter.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: they should have set up a Patreon. I have no idea how they expected to make money off of Paradox Space without one. Patreon is great! Basically every successful webcomic has one now a days! They let people pay you directly for content! Why not use it?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think the sale of the Paradox Space books was supposed to be the main idea, that and that Homestuck merch money would subsidise the site. I think you're right though that a Patreon would have been (still is!) a great idea.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Between this and that time you posted solely with Manga Maker ComiPo panels, I think you've become my favorite SA poster.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Having finally watched the video, here's my guess at the thinking behind it:

John the Marketing Guy: Hey, Andrew Hussie, you used to engage with your fans a lot, but then they got huge and you disengaged. The radio silence over the last year or so has really hurt you.
Hussie: Okay, but I'm still dead-busy with the game and poo poo.
John: What if we got someone to engage with your fans for you?
Hussie: We tried that with my girlfriend and they got creepy.
John: How about someone who already has experience being an internet personality?
Hussie: Go on...

Best case scenario, the youtube channel is a best-effort to give the fan community some more content while the game and/or the epilogue are worked on. Much like, as mentioned, Paradox Space. But it seems like they want more feedback this time on exactly what kind of content will be produced. Do the fans want interviews? Reposting of the best homestuck youtubes? A centralized theorycrafting station?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Android Blues posted:

As of right now, Homestuck's interest rating on Google Trends is about on par with its numbers from early 2012. Not the same as its peak in late 2012, during the Meenah walkarounds, but definitely not a catastrophic dropoff one month on from the ending.

I think some people in this thread feel like Act 5.2 and Cascade were the comic's peak and it was all downhill from there, which is a valid viewpoint, but not one that's generally believed in the fandom at large. I think most fans still have more residual goodwill and love for the later parts of the story, such that enthusiasm is going to stay kindled for some time.

Not sure if Google trends is the best way to judge things, but I went to check it out and you're wrong:

https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=Homestuck

Homestuck had a major spike on 4/13 (although it didn't reach or even come close to reaching the peak it had in it's hey day), and after that there's a sharp downward turn.

Edit:

And while I'm posting graphs: https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=Homestuck%2C%20Undertale&cmpt=q&tz=Etc%2FGMT man people sure love undertale.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 10, 2016

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Karkat - Village in Afghanistan

Genocide - Cause of Death

Well. One of the two has much more violent secondary subjects.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I'm not the only one who was uncomfortable with Dante being all "hey get it he's like the wheelchair guy right" right?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Death Bot posted:

I'm not the only one who was uncomfortable with Dante being all "hey get it he's like the wheelchair guy right" right?

Nah, that was definitely awkward to watch.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Not sure if Google trends is the best way to judge things, but I went to check it out and you're wrong:

https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=Homestuck

Homestuck had a major spike on 4/13 (although it didn't reach or even come close to reaching the peak it had in it's hey day), and after that there's a sharp downward turn.

It's rated at 52 for January 2012, 49 for May 2016. Which is why I said it's at a similar search rating now to where it was back in early 2012. Seems to me there's no flies on that statement!

Like, even during the various pauses, Homestuck as judged by Google Trends only ever dropped to Hivebent levels of traffic, which as I'm sure you guys remember wasn't exactly zero city. The absolute peak of its popularity was around A6I4, with the dancestors, which yes, sort of baffles me as well.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Oh wait, A6I4 was actually Caliborn's adventures with Gamzee I guess. Mystery solved!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Android Blues posted:

Oh wait, A6I4 was actually Caliborn's adventures with Gamzee I guess. Mystery solved!

Yeah, that makes sense.

Caliborn confrimed as best character.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

it's technically against the rules to emptyquote this

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

This is stupendous.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

not noticeably less coherent than Act 7

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Homestuck: Act 7

Bonus: Serkets

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This is the only epilogue Homestuck needs.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Remember to always be polite.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

*Appropriate statement here*

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

amazing

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
omfg i have been laughing my rear end off. reading this thread.

the end.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

My sentiments exactly.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Homestuck is funny again!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

lets all endeavor to find balance in our hole patterns to-day

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
You should probably recolor all the Toxxupation text so they look like poo poo too. It is a major commitment keeping up with all your ships, but it is worth it.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Bell_ posted:

You should probably recolor all the Toxxupation text so they look like poo poo too. It is a major commitment keeping up with all your ships, but it is worth it.

Uh, actually, Toxxupation does NOT hemotype, because he's a toxic green blood mutant.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I used to like Homestuck, but I hate almost everything that happened to it after Act 5.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I powered on through Trolls 2, the new bunch, then it got enjoyable again, then MEGAPAUSE. The yay more homestuck wait where the gently caress did the words go.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

SynthOrange posted:

I powered on through Trolls 2, the new bunch, then it got enjoyable again, then MEGAPAUSE. The yay more homestuck wait where the gently caress did the words go.

Truly, a question for the ages

Some people still defend this choice, not realizing that the hill they've chosen to die on is, in fact, a hole

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

WAR FOOT posted:

Truly, a question for the ages

Some people still defend this choice, not realizing that the hill they've chosen to die on is, in fact, a hole

I don't virulently hate the ending as much as most people seem to but it was a really bizarre/bad decision to have no words between Collide and the end.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

I powered on through Trolls 2, the new bunch, then it got enjoyable again

But Trolls 2 is amazing?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Jia posted:

I don't virulently hate the ending as much as most people seem to but it was a really bizarre/bad decision to have no words between Collide and the end.

The webcomic about characters and chatlogs ended wordlessly with half the characters unaccounted for lmao

I wonder if people would have felt better if everything after Collide got dropped in one go, or over a day? Act 7 very much did not feel like a finale, and a week of pages leading up to it made me feel like it was going to be substantially larger, but maybe tying it a lot closer to Collide would have made it feel more like a resolution (though lacking) than an underwhelming finale

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
I really wanted a walkaround. I wanted one last interactive segment with John exploring the new universe, checking in on all the cast, getting little denouements to their individual stories, something to provide a proper endcap to the quasi-interactive experience that Homestuck has been since its inception. That, I think, would have been the most satisfying thing for me. Anything less, such as what Act 7 was, could only ever have been disappointing to me, even if it had been posted the next day.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Plom Bar posted:

I really wanted a walkaround. I wanted one last interactive segment with John exploring the new universe, checking in on all the cast, getting little denouements to their individual stories, something to provide a proper endcap to the quasi-interactive experience that Homestuck has been since its inception. That, I think, would have been the most satisfying thing for me. Anything less, such as what Act 7 was, could only ever have been disappointing to me, even if it had been posted the next day.

With Homestuck being inspired in part by Earthbound I did kind of expect some sort of final walkaround flash thing to cram in a bunch of dialogue with a bunch of characters but let it feel organic instead of overwhelming

honestly i kind of wonder if Undertale doing that might have scared Homestuck away from doing something similar

The Act 7 animation was really amazingly well done and has some super great animation work in it but all the animations in Homestuck were side-things, coming between the more 'normal' moments of the comic that were more text-based. ending on an animation feels like it's disrupting the flow of the comic that it had been using up until that point

but i guess if we get an epilogue sometime between now and 2025 it might feel a little more like a proper ending, i dunno, im pretty satisfied i just wish it were better

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Kelp Plankton posted:

im pretty satisfied

I'd be careful whom I'd let hear me talkin that way if I were you pardner

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

I mean yeah, I was 100% expecting a walk around or at least a bunch of chatlogs over the last week. I woke up early on 4/13 to get a head start on the walk around and uhh

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Attestant posted:

I used to like Homestuck, but I hate almost everything that happened to it after Act 5.

yeah, most of my problems with it were act 6 stuff

one of them could only really have been avoided in retrospect (all the giant pauses ruined the pacing, but apparently a lot of that was dealing with the fallout from the kickstarter, including the first company they got to make the game pissing away most of their money) but i honestly think they could've cut 95-100% of the troll ancestor dreambubble poo poo with very little lost

it ties into a problem with the ending - homestuck seemed to be building up LE as the ultimate villain and while he kind of is he's always been kind of tangental to the story - like, sure he's this existential threat, but never the main focus and there's always been other poo poo. a lot of the troll ancestor poo poo boiled down to "seeing in the afterlife how LE was loving poo poo up" so removing them also keeps LE relegated to a mostly-existential threat instead of something that everyone is now expecting will be The Thing What Dies At The End, when really the vast majority of the story was about these other forces (jack noir, the empress, etc) being shits

i get why meenah may have been necessary (giving indirect characterization to the empress in the same way the felt intermission was indirect characterization to bec noir) and aranea did sort of have an effect on the plot but you could've cut the other 10 and the whole "oh hey there's an infinite number of dead kids and trolls out here too" thing wholesale and lost nothing

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Okay so who here has read Kidd Radd? Because if you haven't read Kidd Radd you should change that right now:

https://www.bgreco.net/kidradd.htm

It's a webcomic that's a lot like Homestuck, but shorter and more tightly written (although it starts out slow). Now that both works are finished I can safely say that Kidd Radd is a much better story as a whole even though Homestuck had better individual parts.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Kelp Plankton posted:

honestly i kind of wonder if Undertale doing that might have scared Homestuck away from doing something similar

while undertale may have gone a hair too far in the other direction, i did like that you basically got as much epilogue as you felt inclined to walk around and get

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

President Ark posted:

i get why meenah may have been necessary (giving indirect characterization to the empress in the same way the felt intermission was indirect characterization to bec noir) and aranea did sort of have an effect on the plot but you could've cut the other 10 and the whole "oh hey there's an infinite number of dead kids and trolls out here too" thing wholesale and lost nothing

I mean I agree mostly, but the dancestors besides Aranea and Meenah already were completely extraneous. They were limited to three walk arounds (+ background filler I guess) but then vanished. They had some ok gags, but the story never expected you to care about their stupid plights and feelings or give a poo poo about them, really. At most they provided a little bit of insight into some other characters we do care about. Which is what you said, but, uh, I dunno. Just everyone talks about them like they were this huge thing, when they actually really weren't?

Like everyone goes 'oh another twelve assholes to remember?" but no, you can forget about them immediately and not be worse for it. They're like... comparable to all the salamanders in some of John's walk-arounds. Except less funny. And with more words.

So still terrible and unneeded and awful, but not for the reason everyone complains about.

So yeah you could cut them, and not lose anything, but keeping them (in their very limited role) is not really this big deal.

The infinite number of dead kids I think is very important thematically, because there's this tension of 'you're dead/not the alpha/not the real one, therefore irrelevant' and those characters coming to terms with that or fighting against it, or like, Dave's entire character arc, but yeah probable that could have been handled better? I have no idea how, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The additional characters were never the problem with Act 6. Look rather at the lack of catharsis, the way that nearly everything that followed the characters uniting was preoccupied with mere plot events.