Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Every single loving news outlet seems to skip over the fact that full time jobs are decreasing and the growth in jobs comes from part time jobs.

so all you need to buy a million dollar house is a part time job slinging lattes i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Femtosecond posted:

A dull reason for exceptional Vancouver and Toronto housing demand.

So what types of jobs are being created? All construction would probably be a bad sign...

Construction, FIRE and a lot of 6 month no benefit subcontractor positions.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Vancouver mansion sold by Canaccord founder for record $31.1 million now owned by ‘student,’ records show

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Cultural Imperial posted:

Every single loving news outlet seems to skip over the fact that full time jobs are decreasing and the growth in jobs comes from part time jobs.

so all you need to buy a million dollar house is a part time job slinging lattes i guess

They will get their 24 hours a week at Starbucks and augment it with untaxed income from Uber, TaskRabbit, perhaps even Mechanical Turks

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

So what types of jobs are being created? All construction would probably be a bad sign...

Real estate agents, mortgage brokers, etc. Must speak Mandarin though.

Edit: How do you improve downtown Chilliwack? Fort McMurray had some good ideas.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 12, 2016

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

EvilJoven posted:

Construction, FIRE and a lot of 6 month no benefit subcontractor positions.

This seems particularly scary. This means that throughout all of Canada, despite the constant claims that Vancouver and Toronto are unusual and that the rest of Canada is doing fine, the majority of recent real job growth can be directly linked to the real estate bubble?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

MeinPanzer posted:

This seems particularly scary. This means that throughout all of Canada, despite the constant claims that Vancouver and Toronto are unusual and that the rest of Canada is doing fine, the majority of recent real job growth can be directly linked to the real estate bubble?

Real Estate is like 41% of our GDP or something massively loving stupid

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Vancouver millennials have lowest discretionary income in Canada after buying property.

quote:

The report found a typical millennial couple in Vancouver will accumulate $2,745 in debt each year — including additional expenses — if they buy property.

Hahaha get hosed millennials.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

In that case, the report shows only by living in a condo, can an average family make ends meet.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

etalian posted:

lol

In that case, the report shows only by living in a condo, can an average family make ends meet.

*Christy Clark appears in a cloud of red smoke* Enjoy your one bedroom Yaletown condo forever, my pretties, and your little dog too!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If a student can buy a Liberal party donor's house for $30 million then housing affordability in Vancouver seems pretty good.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
A 34 year old is not a "millenial" jesus loving christ.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Oakland Martini posted:

The most recent version was finished in February. Publishing in economics is ridiculous. It can take over ten years to go from submission to publication in top journals. I don't know how the gently caress you are supposed to get tenure that way.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you were bad (at publishing/your job/whatever). I know economics is a long review field, it just blows my mind when I come face-to-face with it and I feel bad for the people that have to deal with it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

jm20 posted:

They will get their 24 hours a week at Starbucks and augment it with untaxed income from Uber, TaskRabbit, perhaps even Mechanical Turks criminal activity

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

MeinPanzer posted:

When I said 'subcontractor' I also mean that more in white collar environments.

You in IT? 6 month contract.
You an accountant? 6 month contract.
MBA? 6 month contract.

The idea of someone being a full time permanent employee is slowly becoming uncommon. A good chunk of the population has no idea what or where they'll be working beyond 6 months.

Kinda hard to plan for anything in that kind of environment, even if you're receiving a decent income while you're working.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

HookShot posted:

A 34 year old is not a "millenial" jesus loving christ.

82 is the first millennial

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

jm20 posted:

82 is the first millennial
I refuse to accept that someone who was already an adult at the turn of the millenium as a "millennial".

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

When I said 'subcontractor' I also mean that more in white collar environments.

You in IT? 6 month contract.
You an accountant? 6 month contract.
MBA? 6 month contract.

The idea of someone being a full time permanent employee is slowly becoming uncommon. A good chunk of the population has no idea what or where they'll be working beyond 6 months.

Kinda hard to plan for anything in that kind of environment, even if you're receiving a decent income while you're working.

Yeah the trend has been Employment for life-> Now regular employment 2-3 years before jumping ship -> lovely contract works in 9 month to 12 month intervals

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

This is pretty great: SLEEP OVER at Vancouver City Hall Offices during Housing Crisis

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
loving lol

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

HookShot posted:

I refuse to accept that someone who was already an adult at the turn of the millenium as a "millennial".

If you were born in the 80s anyone who calls you a 'millennial' is a dimwit.

I was born in the 80s, my cousin was born in 2001; we're not the same generation at all. Her life growing up and the world around her is immensely different than mine.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I agree completely, I was born in 88, and I ski race with a bunch of kids born in the late 90s, and their lives are soooooo different to how mine was at the time, it's ridiculous.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

etalian posted:

lol

Good news though, because if you don't have a kid, you'll have $16k a year in disposable income between the two of you as DINKs.

You can totally raise a kid and save for their future on $16k a year, it's fine. No need to save for your own retirement, either - you're landed gentry now! Your 1br Yaletown condo is just like a pension and its value will never go down and there will never be any unexpected expenses or strata assessments. Just pass the condo down to your kid shortly before you die, and you've successfully lived your entire life in metro Vancouver and proved the critics wrong.

How there is not an enormous exodus to the warm parts of the US/ROW I will never understand. We are quickly approaching Italian levels of youth unaffordability. :psyduck:

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 12, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
As a kid were you allowed to just go outside and play?

Do you remember building forts it other poo poo out of random stuff you could find?

Could you ask your parents if you could go do something without their supervision without immediately throw them into a panic with them screaming because you were going to be raped and murdered by a pedo/Muslim/terrorist?

Congrats, you avoided being a millenial.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

HookShot posted:

Yeah, I agree completely, I was born in 88, and I ski race with a bunch of kids born in the late 90s, and their lives are soooooo different to how mine was at the time, it's ridiculous.

But I think the defining characteristic of the millennial generation is coming of age around the first decade of the millennium. Kids born in the late 90s are entering the adult stage of their lives in a very different society than we did. More screwed in some ways, but less in other ways. If I were turning 18 now instead of nearly a decade ago, I suspect I would be making very different choices.

You could argue that we are on the older end of the millennial generation but we are still solidly a part of it, I think. It is interesting to think about how we might categorize our generation not in terms of age but in terms of the major events and changes in society and technology that have occurred during our "formative years.". For example, one might say that our generation is defined by being aware of 9/11 but not adult when it happened. Or that we have experienced the rise of smartphones and tablets and broadband but still remember life before those things clearly.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

Do you remember building forts it other poo poo out of random stuff you could find?

Could you ask your parents if you could go do something without their supervision without immediately throw them into a panic with them screaming because you were going to be raped and murdered by a pedo/Muslim/terrorist?

My parents used to try to send me out to play in the muck like they did when they were kids but I just wanted to spend the day inside on the computer. Does that count?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EvilJoven posted:

I did all that, but I think much to my disappointment I'm still a millennial. My parents were in their mid-30s when I was born, so I probably was raised differently from many people my age, considering many of the things you mention are more about parenting than anything else.

Apropos of your recent decision to become a pilot, which is awesome as gently caress and I'm kinda jealous, I can't help but wonder how in-demand you'll be when we have a generation of kids that never got invited to see the cockpit :smith: I suspect it will be good for you but those kids are missing out big time. Who knows if their interest in aviation will be sparked in the same way mine (ours?) was.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

El Scotch posted:

...I was born in the 80s, my cousin was born in 2001; we're not the same generation at all...

Because you're a millennial and she isn't, right?

pinarello dogman fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 12, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

THC posted:

My parents used to try to send me out to play in the muck like they did when they were kids but I just wanted to spend the day inside on the computer. Does that count?

A little bit. Most of the fun poo poo I did outside growing up was both dangerous and/or in contravention of typical HOA rules. You aren't to blame for being bored in the nerfed wasteland of suburbia. There aren't any interesting things to do for kids now that we've decided moderate injury is to be avoided at all costs.

Thank God my one friend who has a kid at this point is teaching her to take risks and to try whatever she wants to do. With regard to last night's (or afternoon's) derail: that's the sort of thing I was talking about. Don't be afraid to take calculated risks, or to assert yourself when necessary. Talk to strangers regularly and see new places and things!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Two bedroom condos in my parents' wood frame condo are now selling for over a million dollars. They're not even in that great of an area (Parkgate Village).

And I thought they blew it when they sold their oceanfront Deep Cove place for "only" $900,000 (they still did but gently caress are boomers lucky).

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

El Scotch posted:

I was born in the 80s, my cousin was born in 2001; we're not the same generation at all. Her life growing up and the world around her is immensely different than mine.

The former is a millennial. The latter hasn't yet had a title attached to their generation that will be poorly understood by internet posters.

ocrumsprug fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 13, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

quote:

Confessions of a China banker: 'it was all a bit dodgy'

By mid-2013 all the focus was on China, but credit and compliance officers within Australia's big four banks were never comfortable with their new clients.

According to one insider, the lending boom to Chinese nationals for residential and commercial property in Australia was always a little fraught.

Yes, there was plenty of money to be made it just required a different appetite for risk than most traditional bankers were accustomed to.

"We never knew where the money was coming from," says the insider, who asked not to be named.

"Anyone who said they did was just pretending. It was all a bit dodgy."

That lending boom to Chinese nationals for residential property came to an abrupt halt this week when National Australia Bank followed its peers in tightening lending restrictions for foreign buyers.

While NAB didn't single out buyers from mainland China there was no doubt they were the target.

And the bank was brutal in confirming change was coming.

"NAB has limited appetite for this segment which comprises less than 2 per cent of the NAB book," a spokesman said in response to questions from The Australian Financial Review.

NAB's new rules, which will see increased loan to value ratios and the recognition of just 60 per cent of foreign earnings, will come into effect on Saturday.

According to the insider all the big four banks had pumped up their numbers in recent years by lending to Chinese clients.

But as bad debts began to rise across the entire business, due to usual changes in the credit cycle, it was the higher risk Chinese clients who were the first to go.

"We never asked too many questions about how they were getting the money out of China and into Australia," says the insider.

"For every one loan we approved there was eight we rejected."

But after three years of not asking too many questions the bank's had had enough.

That means all the "big four" now have highly restricted lending policies to Chinese nationals. And that's despite indications these loans were performing better than the broader loan book.

The appetite for risk was just no longer there.

Westpac has halted all loans to foreign buyers, ANZ has tightened lending rules, while the Commonwealth Bank was never a big lender in this area.

This leads to the inevitable question of whether the China-led property boom in Australia has come to an end.

One mortgage broker who deals mainly with Chinese clients says while many mainland buyers had the means to pay in cash they preferred to finance properties.

"Most are investments so to make them work you need to borrow a good deal of the money," she says.

"I think the next year is going to be very hard for new inner city apartments and luxury property."

Jason Anderson, the chief economist at property consulting firm Macro Plan, believes there has already been a marked slow-down in the number of Chinese buyers inspecting off the plan apartments in Australia.

"Previously developers were selling out a new project on the opening day, but that's not happening now," he says.

"Now they might sell a third [of the project] and this involves lots of haggling."

Mr Anderson said the feedback from agents was that prices are holding steady.

That may change as new apartment settlements reach a peak in the middle of next year, but he believes there are two very big macro-economic factors working in Australia's favour.

Mr Anderson has identified a clear correlation between a downturn in Chinese property prices and big flows of money into Australia.

That trend began in mid-2012, but reversed in the first three months of this year as the Chinese property market roared back to life – prices in Shanghai are up 20 per cent so far this year.

"Maybe we've seen a bit of a portfolio shift back to China," he says.

But he believes this trend could swing back Australia's way once prices in China begin to flatten out.

The other factor is the Australian dollar, which is set to resume its downward movement if the Reserve Bank of Australia cuts interest rates once or twice more.

"The fall in the dollar could be equal to the value of a deposit on an apartment," he says.

This suggests it's too early to call the end of the Chinese property boom, even if the banks have had enough for the moment.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/business/banking-and-finance/confessions-of-a-china-banker-it-was-all-a-bit-dodgy-20160512-gou4be#ixzz48UxgcrKN

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
So, how many of you are excited for negative interest rates on your savings accounts and a hike in standby fees / banking fees on your checking accounts & home/credit loans ? (Credit cards included for those who are semi-literate).

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Hal_2005 posted:

So, how many of you are excited for negative interest rates on your savings accounts and a hike in standby fees / banking fees on your checking accounts & home/credit loans ? (Credit cards included for those who are semi-literate).
I thought the negative rate was on the key overnight and didn't actually tend to affect savings account rates.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

El Scotch posted:

People born in the '80s came of age around the turn of the millennium and are therefore millennials. That's where the term came from; it doesn't mean someone born around the turn of the millennium.

Or do you think someone born in the '80s is a Gen Xer? :laffo:

Hal_2005 posted:

The parallel hike in fees happens regardless of the central bank's rate because :canada:. Negative interest rates on savings accounts will never happen because the banks are not dumb enough to cause a slow-motion bank run. To quote Jon Stewart re: George W. Bush: "Do you know anything...about anything?"

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Hal_2005 posted:

Hey do you work for money Mart

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
We will see negative rates on loans in my lifetime.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ya gently caress it I'm doubling down on the BoC and government keeping us in this corner we've painted ourselves into for the foreseeable future. Buying a house this weekend and I based my affordability calculations on a 4% mortgage rate because any higher than that and the entire country will fall apart. YOLO gently caress it.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

EvilJoven posted:

Ya gently caress it I'm doubling down on the BoC and government keeping us in this corner we've painted ourselves into for the foreseeable future. Buying a house this weekend and I based my affordability calculations on a 4% mortgage rate because any higher than that and the entire country will fall apart. YOLO gently caress it.

I'm going to see open houses this weekend. In downtown Toronto.

It's not an investment, it's a place to live.

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Speaking further down the line, how many of you fucks are all-in on a UBI being instituted before retirement? Really I'm fully invested on climate change destroying civilization before I'm 60 either way, but I certainly see no way for someone in their 20's to save enough to retire on while living on average Canadian wages.

Like, sure we're pretty hosed today, but we're turbofucked when we get too old to work. :haw: