Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Dick Morris predicted the 2012 election so badly that Fox (FOX!!) stepped in and fired him for being so wrong.

He was unskewing the polls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Eschers Basement posted:

You went from a guy who hinted that maybe secession was a good idea to a guy who said Jade Helm was true, man. Jesus.

We here in Ole Virginny went from a slimebag who's in jail to a slimebag who gave voting rights back to people, so I think we're trending well

you know what i've been happy with mccauliffe, like yeah he's basically a used car salesman but thats better then literal criminal mcdonnel

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

eviltastic posted:

If you're unfamiliar, Dick Morris is pretty low hanging fruit for always being wrong about things. Former Clinton staffer who got caught with a prostitute and a foot fetish in the 90s, now part of the right wing noise machine. He mused that Obama wouldn't run in 2012 and was pushing this map in early November.

Also thought Trump would run in 2012 and beat Obama. Basically, he's noteworthy for being wrong enough that it's not just pushing bad numbers to make his target audience feel good.

If Dick Morris told me the sky was blue I wouldn't believe him.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

you know what i've been happy with mccauliffe, like yeah he's basically a used car salesman but thats better then literal criminal mcdonnel

He's been a better governor than a Clinton surrogate (ie: his role in 2008), that's for sure.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Considering half the job of governor (especially of a state as tourism-focused as VA) is selling your state, a used-car salesman ain't a bad look for a governor.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Romney is seeking revenge for Trump's tax returns attack back in 2012:

quote:

It is disqualifying for a modern-day presidential nominee to refuse to release tax returns to the voters, especially one who has not been subject to public scrutiny in either military or public service. Tax returns provide the public with its sole confirmation of the veracity of a candidate's representations regarding charities, priorities, wealth, tax conformance, and conflicts of interest. Further, while not a likely circumstance, the potential for hidden inappropriate associations with foreign entities, criminal organizations, or other unsavory groups is simply too great a risk to ignore for someone who is seeking to become commander-in-chief.
Mr. Trump says he is being audited. So? There is nothing that prevents releasing tax returns that are being audited. Further, he could release returns for the years immediately prior to the years under audit. There is only one logical explanation for Mr. Trump's refusal to release his returns: there is a bombshell in them. Given Mr. Trump's equanimity with other flaws in his history, we can only assume it's a bombshell of unusual size.
(Anticipating inquiries regarding my own tax release history, I released my 2010 tax returns in January of 2012 and I released my 2011 tax returns as soon as they were completed, in September of 2012.)

Oh Mittens, you really think Trump voters care about hypocrisy? :allears:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yes it does matter in this election. I'm tired of this talking point that nothing matters because it does. Nothing matters to Trump's base sure, they'll support him if he whips out his dick and pisses on them. But getting hit on things like this in ads and during debates will affect him. But it's not about Trump's base. He cannot use the same strategies in the GE that he used to moonwalk through the primaries. Combined with how detestable he is as a candidate things like this make him look even worse.

i dont even think trump moonwalked through the primaries, he was just the most notable and electrifying candidate out of an extremely crowded and bland buffet of candidates who split their collective vote. if the GOP had its poo poo together and was able to put up one good candidate instead of having a dozen idiots playing musical chairs for the chance to get stomped by hillary trump wouldn't have scored the high pluralities he would have

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Solkanar512 posted:

I don't understand why this line keeps getting trotted out - it applies to every republican primary candidate.
Because there's an enormous difference in the "opposition to the inevitable" between candidates like Romney and Trump.

Cruz would have been out of the race much, much earlier against Romney because his "success" was mostly because he wasn't Donald Trump. Trump's really never had "majority" support even in his own party, he just managed to get over 50% by arguing that convention trickery wouldn't be fair.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/730782556417728512

it really doesn't get better than this event coincidentally being called "salt"

:salt:

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

TheQat posted:

Wait, this is an event? I thought it was just regular salt

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

cravius posted:

Maybe don't force through a law that's not constitutional?

The judge did not rule "Obamacare" unconstitutional, only that it would be unconstitutional to use public funds to float the subsidy program if Congress does not allocate funding. In effect, the GOP is saying it does not want poor people to have access to affordable insurance, and this will likely be overturned on appeal. Witholding appropriations for programs that have been lawfully passed and not repealed is just as disgusting a practice as decoupling appropriations/budgets from the debt ceiling and using it for political grandstanding.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Trump surrounds himself with good people.

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/730817606735831040

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Thankfully looking like a bunch of asshats isn't much a problem for the GOP House.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/730820050698051585

:yikes:

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

TheQat posted:

Karl still hasn't gotten over 2012, has he?
https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/730798149829173248

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Wait, this is an event? I thought it was just regular salt

Skybridge Capital is hosting a "we have loads of money" festival out in Las Vegas with lots of Very Serious People speaking, SALT stands for Skybridge Alternatives (because they're an "alternative investment firm").

The name is absolutely perfect, since it probably meant to evoke the importance of the nuclear talks but instead it just ends up being :salt:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Damnit I JUST finished my border policy class - those assholes!

People should riot for this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/brianmrosenthal/status/730821157314691072

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

mandatory lesbian posted:

Just because McAuliffe never came after your hootenanny with a transvaginal ultrasound machine as big as your forearm, you seem to think he's a better guy, geez

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
obamas been big on ICE poo poo, i guess he figures he can do whatever he wants and the dems cone out smelling better than trump. sure dont smell like roses though

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i dont even think trump moonwalked through the primaries, he was just the most notable and electrifying candidate out of an extremely crowded and bland buffet of candidates who split their collective vote. if the GOP had its poo poo together and was able to put up one good candidate instead of having a dozen idiots playing musical chairs for the chance to get stomped by hillary trump wouldn't have scored the high pluralities he would have

As stupid as Scott Walker is, he correctly called it in August when he dropped out and called on the other joke candidates to "clear the field" and let support consolidate around a stronger non-Trump. It's debatable whether or not this would have worked because by then Trump was finally saying what the right wing base really wanted to hear, but nevertheless nobody took his advice and here we are.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

As stupid as Scott Walker is, he correctly called it in August when he dropped out and called on the other joke candidates to "clear the field" and let support consolidate around a stronger non-Trump. It's debatable whether or not this would have worked because by then Trump was finally saying what the right wing base really wanted to hear, but nevertheless nobody took his advice and here we are.

I'm almost 95% certain this was the Kochs' opinion being projected through his mouth by ventriloquy and nothing whatsoever to do with any (nonexistent) savvy.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

eviltastic posted:

The most reliable indicators are mixed, though. Dick Morris's latest column may be titled "Trump Can Win", but Bill Kristol is still pushing a third party independent run as the best approach.

Morris's latest column is unusually Dick Morris-y if you're bored during lunch, fwiw. He thinks Trump has a shot thanks to increased numbers of whites in the electorate and depressed minority turnout.

(http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/02/03/2016-electorate-will-be-the-most-diverse-in-u-s-history/)

lol

what

ever

showbiz_liz fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 12, 2016

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

TheQat posted:

Boehner is getting better and better the farther away he is from the Speakership :3:

I'm gonna have to change this av soon

\/\/ - :boehner:

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 12, 2016

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

a shameful boehner posted:

Boehner is getting better and better the farther away he is from the Speakership :3:

Not so fast

https://twitter.com/deirdrewalshcnn/status/730819019205443584

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

a shameful boehner posted:

\/\/ - :boehner:

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/730780999441846273

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

That seems more like a vague threat and veiled plea to take Donald Seriously

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
MIGF wrote a book and the right wing is eagerly adding it to summer reading lists everywhere. Everything's coming up Trump!

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 12, 2016

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Dexo posted:

That seems more like a vague threat and veiled plea to take Donald Seriously

Yeah, that doesn't sound like an endorsement, more like a warning

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/730790091862491136

I really didn't think Abbott was going to be as bad as Rick Perry, I really didn't.

You probably already know this, but the motherfucker went out of his way to remove the very programs that helped him out after the accident that paralyzed him and gave him all the money he needed to start his political career. He literally pulled the ladder up with him.

Abbot is the definition of a scumbag. Perry was former farm kid doing his damnedest to steal everything that wasn't nailed down, play out his tough guy cowboy fantasies, and lying to try and make himself as rich as possible. Abbot actually seems to believe all the poo poo he says.

gently caress. Greg. Abbot.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

MIGF wrote a book and the right wing is eagerly adding it to summer reading lists everywhere. Everything's coming up Trump!

Congressmanx sounds like a sexy representative.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ComradeCosmobot posted:

i thought rahm was a mayor not a congressman

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Toph Bei Fong posted:

You probably already know this, but the motherfucker went out of his way to remove the very programs that helped him out after the accident that paralyzed him and gave him all the money he needed to start his political career. He literally pulled the ladder up with him.

Abbot is the definition of a scumbag. Perry was former farm kid doing his damnedest to steal everything that wasn't nailed down, play out his tough guy cowboy fantasies, and lying to try and make himself as rich as possible. Abbot actually seems to believe all the poo poo he says.

gently caress. Greg. Abbot.

There was an article about Rick Perry that he endorsed for some reason that gave his origin story as growing up in a ranch family, looking around and seeing that the best off people in the area were industry lobbyists, and went "well, guess I found my calling". He was a poo poo governor, as you say, but I don't really think he had very many positions that aren't "advance Rick Perry", which means there was much less for me to actually disagree with.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Rubio has not been thinking about this at all

https://twitter.com/FoxReports/status/730834290200748032

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
Why isn't the White House making more fuss over their scotus nom? They really should be trotting out every nonsense thing the senate is doing instead of considering his nomination. Unless the president presses attention on this before the conventions, they really lose the messaging war, accept the nonsense 'Biden rule' and acquece to setting this 7/8ths precedent.

How much does Bernie still being in the race hinder the president here? If Democrats weren't still slapping each other about, I feel this could really be pressed as a campaign issue.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
It'll be brought up more in the general election which is still about 6 months away.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

climboutonalimb posted:

Why isn't the White House making more fuss over their scotus nom? They really should be trotting out every nonsense thing the senate is doing instead of considering his nomination. Unless the president presses attention on this before the conventions, they really lose the messaging war, accept the nonsense 'Biden rule' and acquece to setting this 7/8ths precedent.

https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/730782844075708416

:shobon:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

All part of the master plan to have Hillary appoint a trans* Muslim POC public defender to SCOTUS :getin:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/730840541248819203

I'm getting an ulcer I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Drumpf's doll-like hands make McConnell's look like a truckasaurus

e: Wait, "D|rumpf" is wordfiltered now? lol

• Locked thread