Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Does anyone know how potions of experience interact with penance (from abandoning your god)? Because penance now seems to tick down as you gain XP, the learndb makes it sound pretty much like you could clear penance almost immediately by quaffing 2-3 potions of experience (maybe you'd need more once you hit level 27?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I went to install the newest release of Dungeon Crawl with my renewed interest and I realized my last installed copy was version 0.13.1 :stare:

I'm guessing a lot has changed since then? Can you play tiles online now or is it still just console?

e: It looks like they updated the logo at least. It used to have a cauldron or some such in the logo.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 12, 2016

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I went to install the newest release of Dungeon Crawl with my renewed interest and I realized my last installed copy was version 0.13.1 :stare:

I'm guessing a lot has changed since then? Can you play tiles online now or is it still just console?

e: It looks like they updated the logo at least. It used to have a cauldron or some such in the logo.

Online tiles are available and great. Check the OP for links. There are a great deal of changes. The new gods are neat and fun

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

FnF posted:

Does anyone know how potions of experience interact with penance (from abandoning your god)? Because penance now seems to tick down as you gain XP, the learndb makes it sound pretty much like you could clear penance almost immediately by quaffing 2-3 potions of experience (maybe you'd need more once you hit level 27?).

I experimented & added a few print statements, and it looks like they don't interact with penance at all.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

I experimented & added a few print statements, and it looks like they don't interact with penance at all.

D'awwww, almost a cunning plan! Thanks for finding out.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
PleasingFungus, I've been struggling to get the downloaded version of tiles running on my machine which has a high DPI display - when I load the game it appears to be normal through character creation, except once the game loads the interface is shifted down and to the right. My inventory is cut off, I can't see the bottom of the text log, etc. I think setting it to load in windowed mode might work, but I'm not sure how to do that either. I've edited .ini and other Crawl files before, I am just not sure which file to create/edit to fix the display issue. I might be missing a "center interface" option or something.

I love Crawl, I just wish my machine wasn't giving me such a hard time running it. :saddowns:

Maybe I should just try online tiles instead.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Just ascended the cool nemelex choice Felid Wanderer before realizing wups, its Felid Warper, no points for me!

Would have literally been the exact same start but stronger, lolol

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 12, 2016

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

I have never even gotten a rune with a naga, does anyone have any naga combos they'd suggest? I've played a few naga transmuters and waffle on which god to get. Any nagadvice?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

a shameful boehner posted:

PleasingFungus, I've been struggling to get the downloaded version of tiles running on my machine which has a high DPI display - when I load the game it appears to be normal through character creation, except once the game loads the interface is shifted down and to the right. My inventory is cut off, I can't see the bottom of the text log, etc. I think setting it to load in windowed mode might work, but I'm not sure how to do that either. I've edited .ini and other Crawl files before, I am just not sure which file to create/edit to fix the display issue. I might be missing a "center interface" option or something.

I love Crawl, I just wish my machine wasn't giving me such a hard time running it. :saddowns:

Maybe I should just try online tiles instead.

try adjusting tile_window_height/tile_window_width? also, file a bug, imo...

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

I am Otis posted:

I have never even gotten a rune with a naga, does anyone have any naga combos they'd suggest? I've played a few naga transmuters and waffle on which god to get. Any nagadvice?

The usual Cj, Fe, IE constellation of mages with Vehumet as their god. Spit often early, use your bulk later on to survive where frail DEs could not.

NaTm is not a bad choice either but with their already slow 1.4 aut movement speed having that decrease even further with Chei (the typical choice you hear when people are talking Transmuters) you'd better be on your positioning game. Barring Trog, they are pretty happy with any sort of god choice.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

AE is the best caster background for Naga IMO. AE is already very good by itself, swiftness helps overcome Naga slowness for early game problems and high Naga hp helps deal with Air magic issues. Free poison resistance lets you drop poison clouds on yourself as well.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Is there anywhere I can find up-to-date guides? I'm just getting back in to the game after years away and all of the guides I'm finding are for 0.14 or thereabouts.

I'm mostly stumped on what gods to use for different builds. What's the popular pick for Spriggan Enchanters these days? I've been experimenting with Dithmenos and Gozag and they're both nice but I haven't felt any real 'oomph' from them so I figure there's gotta be a better option.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Read this: http://lookupdb.guy.ht/#term/hyperbolic

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

VM is a ridiculous background for nagas. They have +3 for poison magic and they can stand in their own clouds. The main thing to focus on in the early game is finding a way to kill rPois enemies. Anything that isn't goes down so quickly though.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler

Enter volcano at full health. Instantly burn and die.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Congrats on getting the full volcano experience.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

yurtcradled posted:

Verisimilitude.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Fourth caster dead in shoals boys. Are there even any merfolk left or is the branch just a ghostly village of my hubris

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

On the plus side, I can't fault your consumable situation there! Just your decision making.. :v:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

yurtcradled posted:

I thought the eruption doesn't reach into small nooks and crannies? Anyway, how much HP and did you have any resistance bonus or malus?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

code:
2 bitcoinbastard the Shooter (level 1, 0/14 HPs)
             Began as a High Elf Hunter on May 13, 2016.
             Succumbed to a kobold's poison
             ... on level 1 of the Dungeon.
             The game lasted 00:01:01 (59 turns).
:tipshat:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

I thought the eruption doesn't reach into small nooks and crannies? Anyway, how much HP and did you have any resistance bonus or malus?

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/offering/morgue-offering-20160513-012606.txt . Technically not an instant death, and yurtcradled might have survived by immediately going to and entering the exit one tile away... but probably not.

Probably could use some tweaking.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

What's better, +10 Int or Wizardry?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

If you have anything castable that depends on spellpower, +10 int. Otherwise wizardry.

Unrelated:

code:
T - 3 potions of experience
Just found this stack in Elf. :stare:

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Can Of Worms posted:

code:
T - 3 potions of experience
Just found this stack in Elf. :stare:
I just ascended a guy who had 2 potions of XP by d10. He also somehow killed a centaur after getting shafted to d2 and a vampire on d3 so I don't even feel bad about it.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

PleasingFungus posted:

it is a classic but it was better when you had to take the second set of stairs up if you wanted to know what down-stairs they corresponded to

casual devs ruining challenge imo

I actually agree that that is a bad change, and I'm pretty casual (~10 ascensions, 1 15 runer)

Are faded altars totally random, or are they weighted acquirement style?

foot fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 13, 2016

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

foot posted:

I actually agree that that is a bad change, and I'm pretty casual (~10 ascensions, 1 15 runer)

Are faded altars totally random, or are they weighted acquirement style?

Well they won't give you a god who wouldn't accept you normally (e.g. yred for a gargoyle, good goods for undead characters), but it can absolutely give you a god that messes up your game plan (like TSO on a venom mage, Zin on a transmuter, or Xom on a anything).

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

i got okawaru on a D2 faded altar on a run that would have worked great with oka (HEHu) and promptly tab splatted him thanks to hubris

fake edit: add a new unrandart named hubris of tab

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Ascended a Nemelex Choice! :toot: This happened:
code:
 64891 | Elf:1    | Received a gift from Okawaru
 64900 | Elf:1    | Got a faintly humming crystal plate armour {god gift}
 64911 | Elf:1    | Identified the +1 crystal plate armour of the Wilderness {Str+3}
 65001 | Elf:1    | THREE POTIONS OF EXPERIENCE
But I decided to stick with light armour (I had a PDA hide in early D, randart QDA in Orc and then sweet Fairy Armour) that let me cast Haste by the end of the game. Good stuff.

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.18.1-5-g4a78601 (webtiles) character file.

1600567 wormsofcant the Warrior (level 27, 246/246 HPs)
             Began as a Centaur Necromancer on May 12, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Okawaru.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on May 13, 2016!

The game lasted 07:10:33 (96992 turns).

wormsofcant the Warrior (Centaur Necromancer)      Turns: 96992, Time: 07:10:34

Health: 246/246    AC: 52    Str: 25    XL:     27
Magic:  55/55      EV: 18    Int: 18    God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   3345       SH:  0    Dex: 18    Spells: 16 memorised, 2 levels left

rFire  + . .      SeeInvis .    b - +9 lajatang (speed)
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    j - +8 faerie dragon armour {MR+ rCorr MP+7}
rNeg   + . .      Faith    .    (shield currently unavailable)
rPois  +          Spirit   .    n - +4 helmet of the Old World {MR- Str+6}
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    e - +2 cloak
rCorr  +          Reflect  .    N - +2 pair of gloves
SustAt .          Harm     .    R - +10 Black Knight's horse barding {ponderous, rPois rN+}
MR     +++..      Rnd*Rage +    i - amulet "Jiutouce" {rElec Regen+ Str+2}
Stlth  +.........               D - ring of protection from cold
                                U - ring of Xodaustre {rF+ MP+9 Dex+3}

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Where should I go from here in terms of skills? Pick up a quarterstaff and get some levels in that? Train more Fire and hope to be gifted Firestorm? More Fighting? There's also a great sword of freezing in the dungeon.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

You only know freeze, icicle and bolt of fire. Why don't you have summon ice beast or anything else from the book bolt of fire came from? Why did you ignore all of Vehumets spell gifts?

quote:

8918 | D:7 | Offered knowledge of Shock by Vehumet.
17091 | Lair:1 | Offered knowledge of Sticky Flame by Vehumet.
These two are top tier spells, you should always consider picking them up from Vehumet.
You have 27 spell levels, it's okay to spend some of them.

Firestorm is a while off, so your skills should be a little more focused on the midgame spells that will carry you till then. Given your current situation I'd say keep going conj/ice/fire and pick up some more damage spells like freezing cloud, fireball & delayed fireball, bolt of cold and orb of destruction to round yourself out. After that you can graduate to firestorm and glaciate.

Don't bother with weapon skill, especially for that greatsword.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

Darox posted:

You only know freeze, icicle and bolt of fire. Why don't you have summon ice beast or anything else from the book bolt of fire came from? Why did you ignore all of Vehumets spell gifts?
These two are top tier spells, you should always consider picking them up from Vehumet.
You have 27 spell levels, it's okay to spend some of them.

Firestorm is a while off, so your skills should be a little more focused on the midgame spells that will carry you till then. Given your current situation I'd say keep going conj/ice/fire and pick up some more damage spells like freezing cloud, fireball & delayed fireball, bolt of cold and orb of destruction to round yourself out. After that you can graduate to firestorm and glaciate.

Don't bother with weapon skill, especially for that greatsword.

I was starved for spell levels on my last game, so I think I overcorrected in the other direction. I didn't want to train Summoning to get Ice Beast out of yellow failure rates, and my thinking was that Shock and Sticky Flame were past the point of being effective by the time they were offered to me. As for Bolt of Fire, I got it from a Book of the Dragon, so the only other spell I could take there is Cause Fear.
Can I really get away with no weapon skill whatsoever, forever?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Maha posted:

I was starved for spell levels on my last game, so I think I overcorrected in the other direction. I didn't want to train Summoning to get Ice Beast out of yellow failure rates, and my thinking was that Shock and Sticky Flame were past the point of being effective by the time they were offered to me. As for Bolt of Fire, I got it from a Book of the Dragon, so the only other spell I could take there is Cause Fear.

Sticky Flame and Ice Beast are useful all the way through till the lair runes and potentially beyond, they're good. Especially sticky flame.

quote:

Can I really get away with no weapon skill whatsoever, forever?
Yes. You can 15 rune without ever training any weapon skill. The only potential trouble spot is silent spectres in Tartarus, but that is deep into extended.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Whether or not to train melee as a caster is up to play style. My impression is that most players who have high win rates favor using a weapon and training some defense. I'd recommend using an enhancer staff and a buckler, but it's still too early for you to worry about that yet, that's usually something you only start working once you're working on getting into the end game. Don't go for the greatsword, it's too much investment and two-handed, you'll be better off with a staff. Another very solid option for a deep elf is a longbow, which gives you a quiet way to deal solid damage at range without spending MP. It's a pretty sizable investment, though, and will absolutely cut into your ability to cast.

Personally, I wouldn't have taken sticky flame or shock either, though sticky flame is actually quite good. But don't underestimate ice beasts, they're very strong, and a minor investment in summoning is dirt cheap for a deep elf. Your particular strength is that it's easy for you to learn a whole bunch of good spells for different situations. Versatility is often better than being very good at any one thing in this game.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Silent spectres can be dealt with by investing in evocations, which you should be doing if you're running a 15-runer blaster mage anyway. You get better channelling rates on staffs of energy and crystal balls of energy! As well as the usual increase against your elemental invokers, sacks of spiders and boxes of beasts.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

My NaAE just acquired a staff and got a rod of lightning instead of a staff of air.
I guess that will teach me for ever getting any evocations skill, thats the first time I've ever gotten a rod from staff acquirement.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Personally, I wouldn't have taken sticky flame or shock either, though sticky flame is actually quite good.

Why not? Why would you not pick either of those, in any situation but especially as a DEIE with no other good spells.

Shock is an easy, easy vehumet pick if you are any start except maybe earth elementalist. It completely covers any elemental resist problems your primary school has, it has max range and penetration, and does great damage.
Sticky flame is a little harder but part of a fantastic school and full of great utility. You can stack it with your regular damage, you can kite with it, it reveals invisible units, it never misses.\

Not taking either is mistake imo.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Darox posted:

My NaAE just acquired a staff and got a rod of lightning instead of a staff of air.
I guess that will teach me for ever getting any evocations skill, thats the first time I've ever gotten a rod from staff acquirement.

Why not? Why would you not pick either of those, in any situation but especially as a DEIE with no other good spells.

Shock is an easy, easy vehumet pick if you are any start except maybe earth elementalist. It completely covers any elemental resist problems your primary school has, it has max range and penetration, and does great damage.
Sticky flame is a little harder but part of a fantastic school and full of great utility. You can stack it with your regular damage, you can kite with it, it reveals invisible units, it never misses.\

Not taking either is mistake imo.

I agree with your assessment of sticky flame, I personally would just rather not bother with a melee spell by them time I have icicles. I find shock to be pretty awful, though. It's inaccurate, I've never seen it do great damage unless you bounce it, and even then it's unreliable. Elec is rarely resisted, but the damage is so low that your main nuke will almost always be better in the early game, especially if you've got icicles. It does have AoE going for it, but since it will never kill anything actually threatening past D:4 or so.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Sticky Flame is really strong, I used it on my DEFE even later in the game even though it obviously falls off in power. If you're still in Lair though it's crazy good.

Anyway, I played Pakellas for the first time on my KoMo and he gave me iron rod which I immediately super charged. Then I acquired staff 3 times and got 3 more iron rods... I'm not sure if it's just me but it seems like it loses power by vaults especially against big scary enemies like golden dragons. For some reason even with 4 of them I could barely put a dent in Jory who almost killed me. And what's the word on Pakellas's buff rod ability? I never used it because it costs piety and seems like a negligible advantage.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

code:
  5831 | D:7      | Offered knowledge of Freeze by Vehumet.
  6446 | D:7      | Offered knowledge of Searing Ray by Vehumet.
  8221 | D:9      | Offered knowledge of Ignite Poison by Vehumet.
  9422 | D:10     | Offered knowledge of Stone Arrow by Vehumet.
 12353 | Lair:3   | Offered knowledge of Fulminant Prism by Vehumet.
 18129 | Lair:5   | Offered knowledge of Delayed Fireball by Vehumet.
 20231 | Lair:6   | Offered knowledge of Lee's Rapid Deconstruction by Vehumet.
Vehumet hates me. Look at all those bad spells, especially for an AE.

e:
code:
 18129 | Lair:5   | Offered knowledge of Delayed Fireball by Vehumet.
 22161 | Lair:7   | Offered knowledge of Fireball by Vehumet.
Vehumet please don't troll me with your spell gifts.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I agree with your assessment of sticky flame, I personally would just rather not bother with a melee spell by them time I have icicles. I find shock to be pretty awful, though. It's inaccurate, I've never seen it do great damage unless you bounce it, and even then it's unreliable. Elec is rarely resisted, but the damage is so low that your main nuke will almost always be better in the early game, especially if you've got icicles. It does have AoE going for it, but since it will never kill anything actually threatening past D:4 or so.

Icicle is pretty strong but it has horrid mana efficiency. Shock costs one mana and does significantly more than 1/4 the damage, even if you're hitting a single target. Shock rips apart enemies for a long time, I kill spiny frogs with it and my AE runs usually have 1800-2000 casts of it before I stop using it. Shock is good. It's the best level 1 spell imo, and you can do a lot worse for Vehumet gifts.

e2:

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I love ignite poison! It's great when paired with mephitic and poison clouds, which you might have as an AE..
Only in a reality where Vehumet is a kind and loving god.

Darox fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I love ignite poison! It's great when paired with mephitic and poison clouds, which you might have as an AE..

• Locked thread