Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Lurdiak posted:

Kids of toy-buying age probably have no idea who the gently caress Darth Vader is.

He's on Rebels and has been in quite a few of the video games that have come out in the past decade. Certainly much more visible than Boba Fett.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lurdiak posted:

Kids of toy-buying age probably have no idea who the gently caress Darth Vader is.

They totally do. Kids of the generation after ours grew up in a world where their Star Wars trilogy is the prequels, but Darth Vader is both its most visible and recognizable character in that series (and the series in general) and such an emblematic character that his name is synonymous with "evil". Everyone knows who Mickey Mouse is, despite the fact that he hasn't been a box office draw in decades. Darth Vader has hit the point where his name is cultural jargon, and that's pretty much impossible to remove from the collective consciousness when that happens.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Speaking as someone who works with kids ages 6-18 pretty much every day, their Darth Vader hoodies and Darth Vader winter hats and Darth Vader lunchboxes and Darth Vader toys and their comparisons of Trump to Darth Vader and their Darth Vader everythings suggest they are familiar with Darth Vader.

A lot of them are confused as to how Anakin Skywalker AND Darth Vader can both be Luke's dad, leading at least one kid to earnestly ask me if Anakin and Vader are a gay couple, but kids know who Darth Vader is.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edge & Christian posted:

A lot of them are confused as to how Anakin Skywalker AND Darth Vader can both be Luke's dad, leading at least one kid to earnestly ask me if Anakin and Vader are a gay couple, but kids know who Darth Vader is.

If you want to confuse them further, give them Marvel Star Wars Annual #1 from 1978, where Obi-Wan goes on an adventure during the Clone Wars with his two apprentices, Darth Vader and Luke's unnamed father.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Superstring posted:

That's weird. Wonder why the Star Wars playset of all things tanked.

The launch bundle was actually Anakin and Ahsoka from the Clone Wars cartoon, 3 years after it was canceled.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Norns posted:

What kinda garbage parents aren't teaching kids about Darth Vader?

My father had me know the "I am your father" line before I was cognizant enough to grasp that my father was my father.
I was raised well.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I just read Original Sin: Thor and Loki. Is Angela as cool a character as she comes off in the mini? Is Angela: Asgard's Assassin worth reading?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Yvonmukluk posted:

Speaking of Widow tie-ins, what's happening with that Red Widow character? I think her saw her make a background cameo in an issue of Ms. Marvel, but that's all. Did she die?

There was a YA novel Black Widow that partially starred Red Widow. I don't expect she'll make much of an appearance again in Black Widow any time soon but then again Waid did just use Maria Pym out of nowhere so I don't think we can say what random bits of continuity he won't use.

E:

Toxxupation posted:

I just read Original Sin: Thor and Loki. Is Angela as cool a character as she comes off in the mini? Is Angela: Asgard's Assassin worth reading?

So worth reading. Queen of Hel gets rough around the edges but Asgard's Assassin is very good.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
loving love MU Angela, but she needs to be on an Avengers team or do a team up book with Thor or some other big name to raise her profile. I don't think she'll be a big part of the Vote Loki story.

Actually really pulling her for an MCU appearance.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Bendis just pulled her back into the Guardians, didn't he?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

I haven't read this week's book but I hope so. I think that's where she's been used best. Asgard's Assassin was ok, but I stopped reading the Queen of Hel one because it was just boring.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

:worship:

http://www.newsarama.com/29262-disney-brings-tsum-tsum-to-the-marvel-universe.html

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Gaz-L posted:

She will be a Guardians member again in future issues. She will also likely be in Vote Loki, whatever that is.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If Angela comes back to Guardians, that means Leah is only a few steps removed from Magik. Kitty probably still has her phone number? Different Magik, I suppose -- but love has overcome worse hurdles. (note: have not read Angela, I just know Leah survived Siege somehow)

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 13, 2016

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I parsed that as Marvel Tzimtzum and was stoked for a very Lurianic follow-up to Secret Wars.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Has there been any news about another Loki solo or him showing up literally anywhere at all? Because AoA was SO loving GOOD and I can't comprehend a 616 where that Loki doesn't exist.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Loki's been in Thor.

I mean the thor series not as in... ah nevermind

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Vote Loki comes out next month. Christopher Hastings is writing it, he's no Al Ewing but he's good. And he's been pretty prominent in The Mighty Thor lately.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Loki also appeared in the Ms. Marvel series, which featured a new magic ritual to summon him :science:

(The spell actually requires :butt: )

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I hope infinity shutting down means we get a new Marvel Ultimate Alliance game

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

twistedmentat posted:

loving love MU Angela, but she needs to be on an Avengers team or do a team up book with Thor or some other big name to raise her profile. I don't think she'll be a big part of the Vote Loki story.

Actually really pulling her for an MCU appearance.
Let's be real, the MCU would almost certainly either erase her sexuality or kill off Sera in her first appearance (or both).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Castomira posted:

Let's be real, the MCU would almost certainly either erase her sexuality or kill off Sera in her first appearance (or both).

Actually, I think she's liable to be considered 'supporting' so she'd fit the MCU's acceptable diversity criteria. Marvel Comics are the ones scared to label her queer, what with Axel Alonso pulling that 'we don't like to label' poo poo.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I just learned that Damage Control was secretly pulling the strings that led to Civil War. Like, uh, what?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gaz-L posted:

Actually, I think she's liable to be considered 'supporting' so she'd fit the MCU's acceptable diversity criteria. Marvel Comics are the ones scared to label her queer, what with Axel Alonso pulling that 'we don't like to label' poo poo.

Loki's a whole mess of gender fluidity and sexual identity stuff to the point where his most recent run made that central to the character, Hulking and Wiccan are the two most important characters of New Avengers, and Moondragon and Quasar were The Huge Deal to the point where Quasar's solo series was basically all about getting Moondragon back. I think it's a more complicated issue now than "acceptable diversity criteria". They still got a long way to go, obviously, but discounting the advances Marvel has made as some sort of walling off is, I think, a fair bit disingenuous.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

redbackground posted:

I just learned that Damage Control was secretly pulling the strings that led to Civil War. Like, uh, what?

That was Guggenheim's attempt to do his very own "Max Lord is EVIL" thing, but nobody gave a gently caress because it was crazy stupid.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lurdiak posted:

That was Guggenheim's attempt to do his very own "Max Lord is EVIL" thing, but nobody gave a gently caress because it was crazy stupid.

I completely forgot about it until the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying Civil War book

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Has Unworthy Thor beeen in any book(s)?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

One.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

The Odinson is a pretty big supporting character in Thor (lady version)'s book.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
He showed up on the last page of the last arc in Jane's book, having been imprisoned by an unknown group for what must be a fair bit of time.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You mean Thorr or Odinson? Because both yes, and what do you mean by "been in any books"? Like, shown up anywhere? Because the latter does that all the time being that he's still a superhero, but if you meant like carried a solo then as far as I know, no.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Lurdiak posted:

The Odinson is a pretty big supporting character in Thor (lady version)'s book.

That's a stretch, when Aaron was spinning his wheels until Secret Wars started and he could drop the big identity "shocker" Odinson was but he's been on one page and in one flashback issue in the current run. He's about to get another hammer, which Jane will wield by the end of her tenure as Thor so she can be Thunderstrike the 2nd or whatever.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

I haven't read this week's book but I hope so. I think that's where she's been used best. Asgard's Assassin was ok, but I stopped reading the Queen of Hel one because it was just boring.

Yeah I liked the start of Queen of Hel but after a while the writing got way too smart about winking at itself and I cut out at issue 4. Like, okay, breaking the 4th wall is cute sometimes, we all know that but goddamn Bennett cool your jets even Deadpool doesn't do that poo poo that much.

That said, 1602 was one of my fave Secret Wars tie-ins so I'm not knocking all the Angela books.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Has Marvel more or less discarded the idea of continuity between books except when it comes to crossovers? The x-books seem to be aware of each other's general goings-on, and everyone is aware of Pleasant Hill and stuff when it's convenient, but you also have books like A-Force where Captain Marvel and Medusa, people who are involved in serious world-ending poo poo in their own books, or who are expressly out of the universe for months on end, are running around having lighthearted wacky adventures as if nothing is going on.

That's better than the alternative (being slavishly devoted to continuity and editorial decrees over good stories), but I was wondering if Marvel had made any sort of official decision about stuff like that. Or is it just a matter of A-Force's writer not clearing stuff with the Avengers office or whatever?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I think the general assumption is that unless things are explicitly shown as happening at the exact same time (ie during crossovers/event series) then they're not.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

JoshTheStampede posted:

Has Marvel more or less discarded the idea of continuity between books except when it comes to crossovers? The x-books seem to be aware of each other's general goings-on, and everyone is aware of Pleasant Hill and stuff when it's convenient, but you also have books like A-Force where Captain Marvel and Medusa, people who are involved in serious world-ending poo poo in their own books, or who are expressly out of the universe for months on end, are running around having lighthearted wacky adventures as if nothing is going on.

That's better than the alternative (being slavishly devoted to continuity and editorial decrees over good stories), but I was wondering if Marvel had made any sort of official decision about stuff like that. Or is it just a matter of A-Force's writer not clearing stuff with the Avengers office or whatever?
With few exceptions, I can't really remember the last time they ever really acknowledged each other's world-ending status quos. There was a point where Magneto was completely in control of New York in one comic while it has been turned into the Savage Land in another.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So Visions wife's mind was based on Wanda's? That explains a lot.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I dropped off after the Avenger's event was over, are any of the all-new all different books worth reading?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Vision.

Squirrel Girl.

Patsy Walker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I've heard good things about Howard the Duck.

• Locked thread