Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Toady posted:

I thought DS3's level design and style was a regression from Bloodborne's. I was expecting the game to be more surreal and horrific:

I was really disappointed we didnt get to see this area in this form because that looks super cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Toady posted:

I thought DS3's level design and style was a regression from Bloodborne's. I was expecting the game to be more surreal and horrific:

Lothric used to have a gloomy fog, with what became the Pilgrim Butterflies appearing as faint silhouettes above:

I thought this would be the way the game was, too. To show that something was deeply wrong, so there's a feeling of "yeah this is all over" to the world. Decayed majesty has always been the souls specialty, but I was expecting it'd look more wrong instead of just old and ruined.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
From's reaction to the poise controversy was quite staggering.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Salean posted:

I was really disappointed we didnt get to see this area in this form because that looks super cool

just read berserk if you want to see every single element in that picture lol

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Would have been cool to have that visual representation of your backup weapon where applicable, like that guy wielding a longsword with the greatsword sheathed on his back.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

*equips fumes in all six slots*

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Commissar Budgie posted:

Finally, a good post.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

GulagDolls posted:

*equips fumes in all six slots*

I remember Bloodrayne had a cheat code that let you turn on a graphic visualization of all the items she was carrying, from stuff like rocket launchers to crossbows, and it was hilarious.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Questions about NPC time. So I'm near what I presume is the last lord of Cinder and I've noticed some comings and goings. What's going on with the following people?

Sirris: Got the gesture, helped her in her two fights, she died when I summoned her for the armor fight

Seigward: Did everything but forgot to summon for his special boss. Found another storm ruler after coming back to that room.

Eygon and miracle girl: Bought all the divine miracles- girl is gone, Eygon is also gone but I can buy his armor.

Finished Hawkwood, I think. Cleared out snake town and took all the glowies so I should be good to ring the bell without missing anything, yes?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Million Ghosts posted:

so with poise being all jacked up is there no reason not to be a rag wearing murderhobo? other than being the best by default

I've made a fatroll guy (currently sitting at about 94% rear end capacity) with winged knight armor (dancer legs) leveling nothing but Vigor and nothing damages me so far. I assume once I get a greatshield I will be invincible from all angles as I waddle through each level.
Character Name: That's No Moon :smug:

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Questions about NPC time. So I'm near what I presume is the last lord of Cinder and I've noticed some comings and goings. What's going on with the following people?

Sirris: Got the gesture, helped her in her two fights, she died when I summoned her for the armor fight

Seigward: Did everything but forgot to summon for his special boss. Found another storm ruler after coming back to that room.

Eygon and miracle girl: Bought all the divine miracles- girl is gone, Eygon is also gone but I can buy his armor.

Finished Hawkwood, I think. Cleared out snake town and took all the glowies so I should be good to ring the bell without missing anything, yes?

Sirris: Not quite done yet. Need to kill the last lord of cinder before she shows up at her grandfather's grave, outside Firelink.

Seigward: I don't recall needing to summon him for anything. Sounds like you finished his quest if you found his stuff in Yhorm's room.

Eygon: His body can be found in Irina's old cell once the Dragonslayer Armour is defeated. Irina moved to the tower that the sword master NPC was guarding. She can level you up but has no other function.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Thanks. I didn't find any more Seig armor or anything, just that sword. I guess I have to do the whole thing to get that armor back.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Sirris is alive untill you kill the twin princes, her corpse will then be on her grandfarthers grave, where you found the shield (if you found that) if you kill the princes. You can get her to spawn in firelink shrine by offering a pale tongue to Rosaria if you haven't killed the princes and then kill her for her stuff. It makes no difference if you have helped kill her grandfather at that point.

Siegward is dead, since he didn't "survive" the boss fight, he is now gone with his armor.

Eygon dies after dragon armor boss and Irina now sits out in the tower with all the dead firekeepers, she is now a firekeeper and you can level up there if you want.

Hawkwood, talk to Andre and get a special swordgrass, Hawkwood will now duel you in the Abyss watchers boss room.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

You missed a step w/ Seigward. He autojoins you if you did everything. No summoning needed.

Miracle Girl is in the left tower at firelink where the old Sword Master was. Eygon is where her cell was when you first found her. Hawkwood will issue you a challenge if you talk to the blacksmith.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Atreiden posted:

Eygon dies after dragon armor boss and Irina now sits out in the tower with all the dead firekeepers, she is now a firekeeper and you can level up there if you want..

I really wish Irina becoming a Firekeeper would be more substantial. It'd be way cooler if you could permanently kill the blind firekeeper and have Irina replace her.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

turtlecrunch posted:

I've made a fatroll guy (currently sitting at about 94% rear end capacity) with winged knight armor (dancer legs) leveling nothing but Vigor and nothing damages me so far. I assume once I get a greatshield I will be invincible from all angles as I waddle through each level.
Character Name: That's No Moon :smug:

The Great Fat Hope

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

U-DO Burger posted:

I only just started playing this game and I'm trying to avoid spoilers as much as possible. It sounds like poise is a dead stat in DS3, or at least it is for now. Kind of annoying, but I guess that means I can equip the lightest armor possible and go all in on heavy weapons. Are there any other instances of stats not working the way you'd think they would that I should be aware of?

What people in this thread are not talking about is "absorption," which is generally higher on heavier armors and generally lower on lighter armors, although there is variation. Some specific armors are very good for physical absorption but not good for "elemental" types of damage, and vice-versa; but in general heavier armors will provide more damage reduction. So, in a long-term sense, there is a point in wearing heavier armors, because they will in general increase your survivability over lighter armors. This is pretty much a PVE advantage rather than a PVP advantage, though - absorption in PVP really won't do jack because PVP alpha damage is so high: the difference between getting killed in 3 hits vs. five in PVP isn't as dramatic as the ability to survive 50 hits vs. 30 over the course of an entire level in PVE. So, investment in VIT to wear heavier armor isn't terrible as far as ideas are concerned. It's just not optimal for PVP min/maxing. Plus, no amount of armor-based absorption is going to prevent a OHKO from a PVP parry/riposte from someone with optimized stats, or someone using hyperarmor on a huge weapon at the right time to just tank your attack and get huge counter damage bonuses.

Basically, if you play according to your instincts, everything will work in PVE pretty much the way you'd expect it to. I've tried out a bunch of different setups and I've found that, for me at least, armor does make a survivability difference even if (apparently) the associated poise does not. Armor just doesn't help with the stunlocking / staggering too much at all; hyperarmor from your weapon or 'perseverance' weapon arts and the like has more usefulness there. When I'm doing PVP stuff, though, armor gets tossed out the window pretty quickly in favor of other things. It's a totally different game. In PVP it's lighter armor all the way.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Genocyber posted:

I really wish Irina becoming a Firekeeper would be more substantial. It'd be way cooler if you could permanently kill the blind firekeeper and have Irina replace her.

same here and that both of them had some actual dialogue about it. And that you could give the firekeeper soul and eyes to Irina for some unique dialogue. The ending seems a bit half assed compared to some of the other npc questlines.

I really like Siegwards, Anri's (both of them), Sirris and Leonards for the story. Their hosed up triggers and breaking points are stupid as hell, but the stories themselves are good. Irinas is just strange and have the one of the dumbest way to be broken (oh you wanted a dark miracle before reaching Irithyl dungeon, well gently caress you)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Deified Data posted:

Would have been cool to have that visual representation of your backup weapon where applicable, like that guy wielding a longsword with the greatsword sheathed on his back.

As a crazy person who fills all 6 weapon slots with something or other, this would be cool even if in practice it would look insane.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Section Z posted:

As a crazy person who fills all 6 weapon slots with something or other, this would be cool even if in practice it would look insane.

I'm pretty sure you can do this at least, if you offhand a greatsword and then 2hand your primary weapon.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Genocyber posted:

I'm pretty sure you can do this at least, if you offhand a greatsword and then 2hand your primary weapon.
I think it's the other way around; i.e. you two-hand the weapon in your offhand while having the greatsword in your primary weapon slot, but yeah. Still seems a bit strange how underused all those scabbards are, though, since they evidently have them working.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Genocyber posted:

Honestly I'd be happy with her 'good' ending if she didn't go somewhere that requires waiting for loading fog followed by 30 seconds of running to reach. Though of course more dialogue about it would be marvelous.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Genocyber posted:

Oh yeah, but I meant the full insane all 6 items shown experience :downs:

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Exodee posted:

I think it's the other way around; i.e. you two-hand the weapon in your offhand while having the greatsword in your primary weapon slot, but yeah. Still seems a bit strange how underused all those scabbards are, though, since they evidently have them working.

It works both ways.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I think I agree that it's more about time-fuckery than geography getting screwy, especially given how logical it all looks when you look out from Vordt's bonfire area. It's possible all of these places existed in the same geographical area, just in different ages, and now time is collapsing, Final Fantasy VIII time compressionkompression style.

I think the geography is getting screwy, the high wall did appear out of nowhere, but only like slightly more compressed than normal. All the locations make sense compared to one another even the ones with obvious breaks. It makes sense that Wolnir would be close to Irithyll because Irithyll is next to Anor Londo and Anor Londo used to be modestly close to Lost Izalith, which you can access near Wolnir. There's definitely connections between Irithyll and the Profane Capital via the Pontiff. Farron's Keep guards against Wolnir and The Cathedral of the Deep has associations with Irithyll through the archdeacons. The only slight but real oddball is Lothric itself - Vordt and the Dancer (both considered exiles for various reasons and sent to distant areas) are slumming in Lothric.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Tykero posted:

It works both ways.
Ah yeah it does. It's kinda funny how your character holds an oversized greatsword in their off-hand like it's nothing, too.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Commissar Budgie posted:

Most of us can agree that we flinched when we read the news.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I think I prefer that there aren't many expressly jarring examples of contracting realms throughout the game, like half-buildings and dramatically different environments one step away. If the motivating force and source of energy and disparity is dissipating, then worlds contracting towards a basic undefined form would leave less jagged, concrete edges, not more. You can't tell where the dividing lines are because there aren't any. Similar places converge and meld together until you can't parse them.

There's still some areas of spacial collapse, like the huge hole next to the first giant firing range in the settlement, but it's a cool effect now that I think about it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Toady posted:

Lothric used to have a gloomy fog, with what became the Pilgrim Butterflies appearing as faint silhouettes above:

Pretty sure those are dragons in the last pic.

I was really disappointed in the Kiln not being an actual area. It looks cool but then its just a jog to the boss so it doesn't really matter too much. Exploring a level with really hosed up architecture that's been blended together would be cool. It would also make sense since half the time the world geometry in a Souls game is just another enemy. What do you mean that tiny ledge blocked my roll and got me killed?? :argh:

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Is there anything that gets hyperarmor and is buffed by the Leo ring? Maybe some UGS R2's? Bonus points if it's also unparryable.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
There's a dragon scooting around at the bottom of the bleeding sun pic too.

e: Actually there's a ton of them near the spikey dark worm thing in the background

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Hackan Slash posted:

Is there anything that gets hyperarmor and is buffed by the Leo ring? Maybe some UGS R2's? Bonus points if it's also unparryable.

Would the Red Hilted Halberd's weapon art count? That's a thrust attack, isn't it?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hackan Slash posted:

Profaned great sword, iirc.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Would the Red Hilted Halberd's weapon art count? That's a thrust attack, isn't it?

It would.

Astora Greatsword probably gets hyper armor on its attacks.

Maybe the great lance? That would make sense but I've never used it so I can't say either way.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

There's a dragon scooting around at the bottom of the bleeding sun pic too.

e: Actually there's a ton of them near the spikey dark worm thing in the background

Is that a giant rear end serpent in the BG of that pic?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I would love to know the full story of that location and why it was changed as much as it was (aside from technical issues), but iirc Miyazaki got super pissed the pic was leaked in the first place so we're never going to know. Same with the dancer NPC pic.

Kild posted:

Is that a giant rear end serpent in the BG of that pic?

I think the two loops in the background are the body of the spikey drooling thing

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Hackan Slash posted:

Cathedrel Knight Greatsword get a thrusting R2 for it's opener (hitting R2 again does an overhand), off the top of my head. Astora Greatsword as mentioned above.

Since the great lance is a "spear", it's probably parryable unless it gets some kind of exception.

EDIT: I've heard some people frustrated about getting knocked out the Great lance's attacks, so maybe it doesn't get hyper? Or if so, gets it late in?

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Fighting the King of the Storm before the Nameless King every time is totally excellent and not tedious at all.

Seriously, the NK could be a really excellent fight, but I simply cannot be bothered to fight the KotS every time.

Course I was over the whole every boss has two phases thing halfway through BB.

Viperix fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 12, 2016

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Viperix posted:

Fighting the King of the Storm before the Nameless King every time is totally excellent and not tedious at all.

People talk about the nameless king sequence being awesome and all this. I don't know. I mean the atmosphere is really cool in the boss arena, and I liked the end part of ADP with fighting an old friend on top of a building. But the fight itself is just tedious as all gently caress to me. And it doesn't help that the worst fights in the entire series are ones where the difficulty comes from the camera loving itself AND it has two phases with two full life bars.

I think that's the only boss fight in the game I don't really like. Even the ones that are super super easy (which, lets be honest, is most of them) are at least cool, fun fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

it kind of makes sense to me that ocieros has the untended graves attached to the back of his workshop, if you think about the fact that the twin princes are his sons and at least at one point he probably had some kind of plans or schemes set up involving them. clearly the twin princes have already become a lord of cinder, so they're capable of linking the fire, even if they no longer desire to do so; maybe at one point ocieros had a scheme where his sons would become a lord of cinder and he knew about the idea of unkindled ones from all of his magical research, so he purposely built his laboratory on top of the actual graves from which the unkindled would be summoned to prevent them from meddling with whatever he would have planned for his sons to do with their lord of cinder status.

obviously at the point in the world where the player comes in, the twin princes have decided "gently caress that noise" and aren't going along with any more plans from their crazy dragon dad, but I could see that being the basis of why the untended graves are just hanging out behind ocieros' chamber. he would have wanted to be in complete control of any wayward undead heroes that would come wandering out of the untended graves so that they couldn't gently caress with whatever great plans he had for his sons.