Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I miss this game. Played the poo poo out of it for a while at launch, but then took like a 3 week break and was utter trash when I came back, and haven't touched it since. Feels like this is one of those games where if you don't keep your skills constantly sharp, you lose them all immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
There's a stronger rust effect in this game just due to timing being such a critical thing in this game, but if you ever had it in the first place you'll notice the rust knocks off pretty fast.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I really wish Saltzpyre's hatchet was a better weapon because it's really satisfying to reap a harvest of rat heads.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Launch loot was the main rust but now that we have the shrine and the upcoming DLC loot is more less-bad than ever.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i shamelessly hacked the game to give me approximately a billion shards of everything so i have one and precisely one objective when i play this game:

RAT

KILL

KILL

RAT

it is liberating

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Launch loot was the main rust but now that we have the shrine and the upcoming DLC loot is more less-bad than ever.

Speaking of, I hope the next, big DLC will include some new weapon types. I'm not sure what they would be, but still.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg

Coolguye posted:

i shamelessly hacked the game to give me approximately a billion shards of everything so i have one and precisely one objective when i play this game:

RAT

KILL

KILL

RAT

it is liberating

How did you do it? I'm level 105 and I'm tired of not having an orange hammer.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
I'm gettin' back into this after playing a bunch at launch but there aint nobody in Goonintide or CTS. Pubs haven't been that bad lately but would still rather goon it

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Mahasamatman posted:

How did you do it? I'm level 105 and I'm tired of not having an orange hammer.

There were methods using lua injections but after a series of patches nobody was updating it anymore and those who have it aren't sharing. It should still be possible using memory edit in CheatEngine though I wouldn't recommend something like that if you've never used the tool before.

I still regret never giving myself the Firefly Flamewave staff that is in the code. I always thought it might have been a borked item and ruined a save or something. Turns out it wasn't, and some people gave it to themselves. It's an arrow-shaped wave spell that is super overpowered because it never made it proper into the game. It's incredibly cheap and boring to use but just having it would have been neat. I haven't seen anyone use it but there are reports of people who have used it publicly, especially in Last Stand.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Night10194 posted:

I really wish Saltzpyre's hatchet was a better weapon because it's really satisfying to reap a harvest of rat heads.

Hatchet's got a couple of problems.

First of all it's competing with the unique rapier (nobody else gets anything quite like it) and a 2-handed metal deathstorm. The hand-ax is really a perfectly good weapon. I got it as my first blue w/bloodlust on it and it was very good, much better than my white rapier (at the time). It's got zero aoe, so if you're playing with a good Kruber/Dwarf you can do deadly hit and runs with it, but it's poo poo against hoards which is like 90% of the game. It also pairs nicely with a good Pyromancer because you can finish off everything she fails to kill in short order.

What I'm saying is, you're right that it's worse than the other options but it's still perfectly good - take a risk, go for a whirl!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The main reason to take a hatchet on WH is to go absolutely apeshit on Roger. Strong DPS from any angle. But it's a liability in swarms if your allies don't have your back.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mendrian posted:

First of all it's competing with the unique rapier (nobody else gets anything quite like it) and a 2-handed metal deathstorm. The hand-ax is really a perfectly good weapon. I got it as my first blue w/bloodlust on it and it was very good, much better than my white rapier (at the time). It's got zero aoe, so if you're playing with a good Kruber/Dwarf you can do deadly hit and runs with it, but it's poo poo against hoards which is like 90% of the game. It also pairs nicely with a good Pyromancer because you can finish off everything she fails to kill in short order.

What I'm saying is, you're right that it's worse than the other options but it's still perfectly good - take a risk, go for a whirl!

Oh, I am and I love it. I got an orange today with maxed out Bloodlust, Perfect Balance, and Backstab, which should help with going apeshit on Roger. It's really satisfying to use, just the Rapier and Zweihander are overall probably more efficient.

Won't stop me at all.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

NightVis posted:

I'm gettin' back into this after playing a bunch at launch but there aint nobody in Goonintide or CTS. Pubs haven't been that bad lately but would still rather goon it

Yeah people don't really hang in there much. About 3-4 pages back someone was saying the same thing and a bunch of people posted their steam ids so have a peek there. Feel free to add me btw, dingus khan.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Huh, backstab really does work well on Roger.

Nice.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I'm sittin on a bus taking me home to kill rats RIGHT NOW.

I may chop the rats. Maybe bash the rats, or shoot them. Hell, I may even burn the rats, I haven't decided. Them rats gonna be dead though

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

el dingo posted:

I'm sittin on a bus taking me home to kill rats RIGHT NOW.

I may chop the rats. Maybe bash the rats, or shoot them. Hell, I may even burn the rats, I haven't decided. Them rats gonna be dead though

Boil em, mash em, stick em in a stew!

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Chomp8645 posted:

The main reason to take a hatchet on WH is to go absolutely apeshit on Roger. Strong DPS from any angle. But it's a liability in swarms if your allies don't have your back.

The hatchet is also really good against Stormvermin, as all hits are AP and the charged attack makes it really easy to swipe at their head. Great on Stormvermin heavy missions like Supply & Demand

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is there a trick to blocking? I've never been able to get the timing down and it's really hurting me on higher difficulties.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

moths posted:

Is there a trick to blocking? I've never been able to get the timing down and it's really hurting me on higher difficulties.

The trick is there's no actual timing, and that you block 360 degrees, just you lose 1/2 shield for each blow you deflect.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the trick is that blocking is something you do to fill the half second void it takes to pull off a good dodging move or, in the case of bardin/kruber, an effective shield bash

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh what the gently caress I've been trying to aim my cursor at the rat I want to block and time it with his swing.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Mendrian posted:

Do the unique weapons actually do anything beyond having three fixed trait slots? I can't find a definitive answer cos for such an awesome game there sure isn't much info floating around :/

edit: not to mention when the UI outright lies to you, like about higher tier weapons doing more damage than lower tier ones, heh.

quote:

Oh what the gently caress I've been trying to aim my cursor at the rat I want to block and time it with his swing.
It feels like if you time the block perfectly you give the rat a really big stagger but that might just be confirmation bias.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 13, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Hatchet's main problem is the Rapier's charge spam is amazing at loving up Stormvermin and Roger already, while its light attack has great coverage, speed, and if you can get into a good pattern on their head while keeping on the move, kills really quick. So it's competing with a weapon that does its strength almost as well as it does and also handles one of the most important tasks in the game (killing hordes) really well.

Still enjoy it, though.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Zephro posted:

edit: not to mention when the UI outright lies to you, like about higher tier weapons doing more damage than lower tier ones, heh.

Is there some definitive proof I can show someone of this? I read it in this thread that white weapons and blue or whatever do the same amount of damage and they were VEHEMENT about that being false, but neither of us had real proof beyond hearsay.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Is there some definitive proof I can show someone of this? I read it in this thread that white weapons and blue or whatever do the same amount of damage and they were VEHEMENT about that being false, but neither of us had real proof beyond hearsay.
There's this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K_22AmKZtVd2nngEEPRxZau5AVgffiS5XMB34V5UnFY/edit#gid=897382659

Though I'm not sure how it was put together.

edit: though it appears to only cover exotic weapons. Though given that the damage values are around 2-4 per hit there doesn't seem to be much space to make lower-quality weapons do less damage.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
If we can source that it'd be nice. I just want to be right. And kill rats.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

If we can source that it'd be nice. I just want to be right. And kill rats.
Outside of nosing around in the game files, it's possible to test it by equipping white, green and blue variations of a weapon and seeing how many body-blows it takes to kill a clan-rat on Easy, Normal and Hard difficulty. I'll admit my memory is a little vague as the last time I was actively comparing them myself was in the beta, but at that time I'm certain there was a definite damage increase in each tier of weapon quality.

Zephro posted:

Do the unique weapons actually do anything beyond having three fixed trait slots? I can't find a definitive answer cos for such an awesome game there sure isn't much info floating around :/
The red-tier veteran weapons simply come with three fixed traits which, when unlocked, are always at the maximum possible value. They don't inflict any more damage than an orange-tier exotic weapon. So if you favour a particular combination of traits which you happen to have well-rolled on an orange, you may find the red isn't to your liking.

Night10194 posted:

I think overall Bardin's Axe and Shield might be the best weapon in the game.
Yes.

Scandalous fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 13, 2016

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Anecdotal but when I had a blue 2h sword on nightmare (shhh) clanrats would take two power swings to kill. When I got an orange, they would die in one power swing. Normal attacks were the same with both blue and orange though, 2 swings to kill.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

el dingo posted:

Anecdotal but when I had a blue 2h sword on nightmare (shhh) clanrats would take two power swings to kill. When I got an orange, they would die in one power swing. Normal attacks were the same with both blue and orange though, 2 swings to kill.
Yeah, the Hits-to-Kill ratio or whatever term the obligatory statistician theorycrafters use can be hard to judge on if you stick to a single difficulty, which is why if anyone's curious I'd suggest a couple minutes of testing each on Easy, Normal and Hard to get a better picture. Also, there's nothing wrong with blues on Nightmare! Weapons and especially character level don't matter anywhere near as much as someone who's sharp enough to pay attention and stick with the group.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Good attention and playing safely will save you damage ten times for every time a bjt more damage on your attacks will.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I think it has to be coincidence that :torgue: has a line about RAT KILLIIIINNN.

Anyway it's happening RIGHT NOW. You'll see me in the Goonintide chat thing.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

el dingo posted:

Yeah people don't really hang in there much. About 3-4 pages back someone was saying the same thing and a bunch of people posted their steam ids so have a peek there. Feel free to add me btw, dingus khan.

Your username pulls up a few dozen people who are certainly not you so I'll drop my steam ID here, also free to add for anyone who wants to have a good time and smack some bad rats

http://steamcommunity.com/id/nightvis

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

New Barkeep. Still makes too much noise though.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dulfJo-NmWU&t=152s

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The community mod is dropping hints about a patch this coming week. Fingers crossed it's nothing that will nerf poo poo again but judging by the wording and "fixes" it may as well be.

I'd be pretty okay with the Movement Speed Reduction bug that comes from regrowth triggering being fixed though.

InsaneMurmur
May 30, 2010

Zephro posted:

There's this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K_22AmKZtVd2nngEEPRxZau5AVgffiS5XMB34V5UnFY/edit#gid=897382659

Though I'm not sure how it was put together.

edit: though it appears to only cover exotic weapons. Though given that the damage values are around 2-4 per hit there doesn't seem to be much space to make lower-quality weapons do less damage.

I made this, values are from the games LUA files.

This video explains how the numbers work if anyone was wondering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtPxba8nBxg

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
That's pretty useful. Answers some questions I had about headshots and charged attacks; looks like you're only ever going to decap a couple rats at a time with siennas longsword

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Cool crossbow shown on stream

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tagichatn posted:

Cool crossbow shown on stream

From the hand, I think that's gonna be a new Victor weapon.

They confirmed it and a polearm for the elf. gently caress yes.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I was finally able to get in a group to beat Gunpowder. I've only been able to beat one of the Act 2 missions so far but I've accepted everyone loves the first mission and have decided to focus on gearing up anyway. I've also been playing on hard and it's interesting to see how higher level players play and try to learn from them. Particularly, I used to just stand and melee, especially since I've primarily playing as saltzpyre with a two-hander, and now I'm focusing on getting better at timing the hit and dodge method. Sometimes I try too much to use the charge attack though.

Also cool was seeing a my team form a line to toss barrels instead of trying to run them to the gate in the first mission. I never thought to try that before.

• Locked thread