Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lurdiak posted:

No More Heroes, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Bully: Scholarship Edition, Mario Kart Wii, Grand Theft Auto 4, Dr. Mario Online Rx, Lego Indiana Jones, Persona 4, Kirby Super Star Ultra, Mega Man 9, Saints Row 2, World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, Left 4 Dead, Chrono Trigger for Nintendo DS, Fallout 3, World of Goo.

Only Saints Row 2 stands a chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
CSI: Hard evidence

I don't think enough people realize that playing MGS4 after the initial stage is like watching mr. Hideo Games masturbate and cum all over himself repeatedly.
People said that he "needed an editor" after the game came out, truth be told he needed a loving bullet.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Monkey Fracas posted:

If you cut out everything after the first 2 stages of MGS4 but the Metal Gear Kaiju Movie Fight and the entire sequence on Mount Snakemore it would be waaaayyyy better

Ehh then the problems with the game being too short on playable content would be even more obvious. I'd take more bad content over none at all.

Unpopular opinion time: every moment where raiden is doing something other than bleed to death in a bed is great

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Baal posted:

Only Saints Row 2 stands a chance

I respect your terrible opinion that MGS4 is good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lurdiak posted:

No More Heroes, Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Bully: Scholarship Edition, Mario Kart Wii, Grand Theft Auto 4, Dr. Mario Online Rx, Lego Indiana Jones, Persona 4, Kirby Super Star Ultra, Mega Man 9, Saints Row 2, World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, Left 4 Dead, Chrono Trigger for Nintendo DS, Fallout 3, World of Goo.

Chrono Trigger came out in 1995 and I'll give you Bully but that's it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh my god if this isn't the pot calling the kettle black

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Uncharted 4 is cool and does some new things with the formula. It's still an Uncharted game though and as such it all feels a little shallow to me. Like, Nathan survives so much ridiculous poo poo that the firefights and clambering never pack much of a punch for me.

I still think The Last of Us was a far more interesting game across the board.

I really liked The Last of Us and I'm also really glad I played on Hard instead of Normal. Normal throws crafting materials and ammo at you like nothing, but Hard, while not actually meaningfully harder on an individual encounter basis, makes you actually ration and make choices. It was actually a really fun game.

Survivor might be even better but I only played through once so I never tried it a step up.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Play Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, in my opinion.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

HMS Boromir posted:

It's the best Metal Gear game

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

HMS Boromir posted:

Everyone should do this.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Broseph Brostar posted:

Ehh then the problems with the game being too short on playable content would be even more obvious. I'd take more bad content over none at all.

Maybe if the third level wasn't goddamn annoying and plodding bullshit followed up by a turret sequence and was a sequence like the first two areas...

argh the first two levels are so great

Broseph Brostar posted:

Unpopular opinion time: every moment where raiden is doing something other than bleed to death in a bed is great

why would badass robo-ninja poo poo be unpopular

they even based an entire game on it that everyone hopefully has played by now

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ilustforponydeath posted:

CSI: Hard evidence

I don't think enough people realize that playing MGS4 after the initial stage is like watching mr. Hideo Games masturbate and cum all over himself repeatedly.
People said that he "needed an editor" after the game came out, truth be told he needed a loving bullet.

Mgs4 was a masterpiece!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't care for chapter 3, but aside from the infestation of dwarf gecko Chapter 4's set pieces and nostalgia grabs were a lot of fun and very effective. I have no amazing opinion of the last chapter, it's decent and reaches a pretty good climax with a fun final boss that runs through MGS references and is super cool.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I'm not one of those beltway pansies, I could break the president in two with my BARE HANDS.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Except for arguably GTA 4, none of the games I mentioned have 10 hours of the worst cutscenes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Idgaf about the cutscenes

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Monkey Fracas posted:

why would badass robo-ninja poo poo be unpopular

they even based an entire game on it that everyone hopefully has played by now

I thought everybody despised him and vamp in that game

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Raiden sucked in MGS4, but not because of the action scenes, those were cool. It's more that he wouldn't stop whining about his liver and LITTLE JACK. Vamp's just sort of whatever in MGS4 tho.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Broseph Brostar posted:

I thought everybody despised him and vamp in that game

I suppose some people might retroactively apply how cool Raiden was in MGR to MGS4, creating false memories over the godawful real ones.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
The weak will be purged, and the strongest will thrive, free to live as they see fit.

They will make america great again!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Mgs re vengance is in fact the true telling of the Bernie sanders presidency.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
At the end of MG:R you fight a nanomachine-powered Libertarian Weirdo Dick Cheney who fights you with these big videogame boss AOE attacks and wrestling moves and poo poo and it knocked me on my rear end the first time I played it

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lurdiak posted:

Hey loving cousin, it's a loving me, let's loving go loving bowling.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Palpek posted:

Hey loving cousin, it's a loving me, let's loving go loving bowling.

I didn't say they were great, just better than MGS4.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
DON'T gently caress WITH THIS SENATOR

*kicks Raiden like a football after a goofy slowmo closeup of his robo-face spins by the screen and an unseen football stadium crowd applauds this action*

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Monkey Fracas posted:

*kicks Raiden like a football after a goofy slowmo closeup of his robo-face spins by the screen and an unseen football stadium crowd applauds this action*

That was better than any other cutscene in the history of metal gear. Not that it takes much.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
That boss fight sucked though. He had so many I frames and teleport grabs. I like how he can summon volcanos.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That boss fight is good

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

The best part with hindsight is when Armstrong yells that he will "make America great again."

Tenzarin posted:

That boss fight sucked though. He had so many I frames and teleport grabs. I like how he can summon volcanos.

It is a very good boss fight.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
That was a good and properly hard boss fight.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That's probably one of the best boss fights ever in a game that didn't involve a Dracula.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phantasium posted:

That's probably one of the best boss fights ever in a game that didn't involve a Dracula.

What is your favorite boss fight in a game featuring a Dracula? I have been known to enjoy Dracula games.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I will always be fond of a good corpse ball.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Snak posted:

Yeah. Enjoy the last good elder scrolls game :)

Also the first

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

axleblaze posted:

There's nothing wrong with most cheese on fries (well other than the obvious) but when you put gravy into the equation it gets complicated.

ive eaten french fries dipped in mashed potatoes and gravy

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
People get confused with the meaning of hard and cheap a lot to on this forum.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

The best part with hindsight is when Armstrong yells that he will "make America great again."

this was the first thing I thought of when I started seeing that red hat Trump was wearing early on and I could not tell anyone about it that would understand

it just makes that whole act of the game even better

Videogame Boss Character for POTUS 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phantasium posted:

I will always be fond of a good corpse ball.

:yeah:

I should play SotN again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

People get confused with the meaning of hard and cheap a lot to on this forum.

Armstrong isn't cheap at all, though? I beat him first try on my first time through the game. Nothing he does is cheap.

Oceiros's insta-charge in DS3? Cheap. But Armstrong's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I find oceiros insulting. He gets that free kill noone's really prepared for, but when you go under him it's like beating down one of the bloodborne werewolves from behind.

• Locked thread