Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

zoux posted:

GRRM even has this famous quote about how all he hears about is how vulgar and terrible the sex scenes in his books are while he hears no complaints about the brutal violence depicted in his books. The guy likes sex scenes.

He's much better at writing about mailed fists breaking teeth than lovemaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
After the camera cut away Brienne was like "After you die there will be one less evil king in the world" and Stannis was like "Fewer" and they had a good laugh and now they're friends.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

edit: ^^^^ :lol:

Man I was so pumped when I found out Jaqen would be coming back but dammit did he turn into a non-fun rear end in a top hat. Yeah yeah probably not the same guy. But still. Murder Fairie Jaqen was the best.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

vyelkin posted:

After the camera cut away Brienne was like "After you die there will be one less evil king in the world" and Stannis was like "Fewer" and they had a good laugh and now they're friends.

Not empty quoting...

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
I hope we get to see undead Ser Gregor brutally kill that Lannister kid who joined the religious cult of the High Sparrow.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
If book characters existed in tv then Loras vs Gregor would have me so jacked up.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I thought Stannis' huge offerings to the LoL could result in him being resurrected after dying but that seems way less likely after Jon got revived.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I thought Stannis' huge offerings to the LoL could result in him being resurrected after dying but that seems way less likely after Jon got revived.

The Lord of Light isn't real, Melisandre is just a really religious wizard waiting for Glinda the Good Witch to tell her that the power was inside her all along. Stannis burned all those people for nothing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Can't wait for Jon to take Winterfell and be celebrating finally getting a victory when the Iron Bank shows up on the doorstep demanding that since he took responsibility for Davos he now has to take responsibility for Stannis' debts.

Davos: It's not so bad, Jon. It means you also get custody of Shireen!
Melisandre: :nyoron:

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Brienne and stannis' mothers share the same name so they shrugged it off.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Chernabog posted:

Brienne and stannis' mothers share the same name so they shrugged it off.

As he died Stannis was like "I love you Renly..." and Brienne was like "Wait, I loved a guy named Renly too."

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

That DICK! posted:

Stannis faked his death and is now managing a Cinnabun in Nebraska

Starring Tuco Salamanca as Ramsey Bolton and hank Schrader as Eddard Stark

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

vyelkin posted:

As he died Stannis was like "I love you Renly..." and Brienne was like "Wait, I loved a guy named Renly too."

Stannis: Save..... Renly....
Brienne: That's the whole reason I'm so salty in the first place :mad:

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

I'm Stannis Baratheon and I'm still alive you fucks

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Asmodai_00 posted:

That's not something Stannis would say

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
He's actually a glamored Mance Rayder!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Wafflecopper posted:

That's not something Stannis would say

"thousands. Minus one."

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Gurm has abandoned you book fans, the show is the new canon.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

In the movie Shanghai Knights Aidan Gillen plays the main bad guy who is a lord in London who has deigns for being king. He goes to a foreign country and steals a dragon amulet which he brings back to his home town and uses to attempt to kill the royal family and take power.

What do you want to bet that littlefinger shows up in the foreign lands to try and bring the dragons back with him to westeros.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Did they call undead mountain 'Robert Strong' at the end of last season? Kinda seems like Cersei and Jamie just suddenly dropped the pretense.

Edit - Also would be nice too see the titties and snatch quota increase dramatically. Hell throw in some dick shots too, why not? Think Theon dick is the only dangler the audience has really seen iirc.

AgentJotun fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 13, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AgentJotun posted:

Did they call undead mountain 'Robert Strong' at the end of last season?

I'm fairly certain that when Cersei gets back to the keep, Qyburn says something along the lines of,"Ser Gregor Clegane has returned, and has taken a vow of silence until the enemies of the crown are all destroyed."

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

AgentJotun posted:

Did they call undead mountain 'Robert Strong' at the end of last season? Kinda seems like Cersei and Jamie just suddenly dropped the pretense.

Nope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HjBtDY7vUg

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I'm fairly certain that when Cersei gets back to the keep, Qyburn says something along the lines of,"Ser Gregor Clegane has returned, and has taken a vow of silence until the enemies of the crown are all destroyed."

Nah, they don't mention his name when he first gets introduced, but they did call him Gregor Clegane in the most recent episode.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AgentJotun posted:

Edit - Also would be nice too see the titties and snatch quota increase dramatically. Hell throw in some dick shots too, why not? Think Theon dick is the only dangler the audience has really seen iirc.

I thought the exact same thing but I was completely wrong

The book and show just kinda blend together in my memories :v:

Don't forget, Hodor totally hanged dong.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Undead Ser Gregor is the best character in S6 so far.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't forget, Hodor totally hanged dong.

Also there were two different dong sightings during Cersei's walk of shame, so

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I hope the dragons have a fun time frolicking around the countryside

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Asmodai_00 posted:

I can't help but read that in the same tone as the "I'm _____ and I approve this message" disclaimers in political ads.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Groke posted:

Actually yes, his grandmother was a Targaryen so he did have the best claim when all the proper Targs were dead or driven into exile. Which is why the rebellion installed him on the throne instead of someone else, a certain veneer of legitimacy is important when you need the support of a bunch of noble houses who all base their own power on similar ideas of legitimacy by blood ties.

This is silly because being driven into exile by an usurper doesn't delegitimize their claim. Robert had zero claim as a Targaryen heir, and complete claim as usurper and creator of a new dynasty.

No one backed Robert because of his grandma. They did it because the Targaryens overstayed their welcome and it didn't make sense not to. He got the throne because he and Ned led the rebellion and Ned had the sense to not want anything to do with it.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I hope the dragons have a fun time frolicking around the countryside

I think one of them is supposed to feast on some Dothraki according to the trailers.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Re: Stannis. I'm almost positive some underling gave Ramsay a report that they found Stannis' body and Ramsay quips something about how he'd wished they knew who it was so he could congratulate whoever did the deed in person.

He's dead.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Bobo the Red posted:

No one backed Robert because of his grandma. They did it because the Targaryens overstayed their welcome and it didn't make sense not to. He got the throne because he and Ned led the rebellion and Ned had the sense to not want anything to do with it.

I think it's well-established that the rebellion stood behind Robert because he had the best non-Targ Targ claim to the throne. The major houses clearly don't care much about that as far as the wheeling-and-dealing goes, but keeping the smallfolk convinced and cool with it was also important to maintaining a successful rebellion.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Wizchine posted:

Re: Stannis. I'm almost positive some underling gave Ramsay a report that they found Stannis' body and Ramsay quips something about how he'd wished they knew who it was so he could congratulate whoever did the deed in person.

He's dead.

To split hairs, it was Roose, but yes, you are correct. Complete with a bit of the good ol' Dramatic Irony when Roose quips about how it's a shame he can't reward the "man" who killed him.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Wizchine posted:

He's dead.

Pffff, you think anyone in the North knows what Stannis looks like? Half the men who fought in that battle probably personally claimed to have killed him.

Stannis can never die.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Propaganda Machine posted:

I think it's well-established that the rebellion stood behind Robert because he had the best non-Targ Targ claim to the throne. The major houses clearly don't care much about that as far as the wheeling-and-dealing goes, but keeping the smallfolk convinced and cool with it was also important to maintaining a successful rebellion.

Pretty much my understanding as well. All the noble houses in charge of poo poo would be interested in maintaining certain social conventions which help themselves stay in charge of poo poo. Killing or exiling the members of a particular royal house is one thing; drawing into question the whole social order is something else altogether.

It also gives Robert a somewhat reasonable motivation for wanting to have Danaerys assassinated; not just a paranoid hatred of Targs, but as long as actual Targs survived in exile there would be someone with a theoretically better claim to the throne than him, who might for example potentially be used as a figurehead or rallying symbol against him in the future.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Asmodai_00 posted:

Is that you in your avatar? Because if so that doesn't count

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
The scene re: Stannis death

Roose - Thanks to you the false king Stannis Baratheon is dead. Do you know who struck the killing blow?

Ramsay - No

Roose - A shame. I'd reward the man. Still, a great victory. Do you feel like a victor?

It's strongly implied, but not stated that Stannis' body was found. There's still hope drat it!

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

AgentJotun posted:

The scene re: Stannis death

Roose - Thanks to you the false king Stannis Baratheon is dead. Do you know who struck the killing blow?

Ramsay - No

Roose - A shame. I'd reward the man. Still, a great victory. Do you feel like a victor?

It's strongly implied, but not stated that Stannis' body was found. There's still hope drat it!

Should have shown Ramsey drinking out of Stannis' decapitated head while they were talking.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

And More posted:

Should have shown Ramsey drinking out of Stannis' decapitated head while they were talking.

Hey now, Ramsay's no Karl Tanner, the fookin' legend of GIn Alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Can somebody explain why these GoT nerds are trying to crowdfund $20 million dollars to redo the Dorne portion of the plot?

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/game-of-thrones-kickstarter-trying-to-raise-20-million

If this is better suited for the spoiler thread let me know. Somebody previously here told me 'start from the beginning and when you get to S5, skip the Sand Snakes stuff'. Was the plot lousy in the show, or just way different? My only exposure to that portion is the King (?) and his dandy son getting iced in the first episode. Is it just a snooze fest, or are people just cranky b/c 'that's not how it was in the boooooooooooks!'?

• Locked thread