Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Any heard improvement beyond CD-quality is just psychoacoustics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I think my SACD experiences had a lot to do with the hardware and speakers hooked up with it being better than most, but I'm still saying that it sounds really good. Gonna have to disagree with the 128kbps thing though. I think 128 definitely sounds noticeably crappier than a the original disc or a good VBR file.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I think my SACD experiences had a lot to do with the hardware and speakers hooked up with it being better than most, but I'm still saying that it sounds really good. Gonna have to disagree with the 128kbps thing though. I think 128 definitely sounds noticeably crappier than a the original disc or a good VBR file.

SACD can carry surround channels and will usually sound better with a proper surround setup. As for stereo, CD quality is already better than the human ear can detect.Most people listen to crummy mp3s because they don't even know what good audio sounds like compared to bad audio and/or have really crappy audio equipment.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SACD sometimes sounds better than CD because they use a better master. A CD version of that same master would sound equally as good, but that doesn't sell SACDs.

Usually dual-layer SACD+CD version even use different masters for the different layers, to make sure people actually hear a difference. This is purely for marketing reasons, obviously.

128kbps CBR LAME MP3 is actually surprisingly good. Most people will probably be able to hear a difference in a direct comparison with a CD, but it's unlikely they'd notice anything in casual listening. But pretty much no one actually uses 128kbps CBR these days, if anything they're using -V5 VBR, which is ~130kbps average, but can go up to 200+kbps for very demanding sections.

Most people won't notice, though, because they're listening through earbuds or on portable Bluetooth speakers, with relatively high background noise.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I suppose music machines specifically designed to play background music over and over again are an obsolete and failed technology. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WQbJ0VFrFQ

I didn't even know 3M made music players.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I really wish we'd get decent masters. If people want dynamic range compression it's cheap enough to do it on the fly, let the decoder do it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I keep dreaming of movie audio with separate channels for dialogue and music (and maybe sound effects). I want the same for music as well, but that's even neverer going to happen.

But think of all the mash ups! Re-scored movies!

Not to mention just setting dialogue to a comfortable level without disturbing the neighbors. Or just watching Law and Order without having to turn off the album you're listening to.

Unlike the live dynamic compression, nobody in the industry is asking party though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

I suppose music machines specifically designed to play background music over and over again are an obsolete and failed technology. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WQbJ0VFrFQ

An anagram of my username is "no to muzak", which I think adequately sums up my feelings on the subject.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

A service that offered optional SACD-style mixes in CD quality mp3 at a good bitrate should in theory be everything anyone needed, though I guess it wouldn't sell well since most of the target audience wouldn't be interested in anything that "low quality".

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

That thing is awesome! For our hold music, our audio guy that supports our office, converted a pre-amp for a car into a continuous music player. It works awesome and always restarts if the power goes out. It's super cool. It's in a cardboard box on top of our PBX and is the best thing ever. Never fails. It's super ghetto, but never fails to make me smile when I see it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Flipperwaldt posted:

I keep dreaming of movie audio with separate channels for dialogue and music (and maybe sound effects). I want the same for music as well, but that's even neverer going to happen.

But think of all the mash ups! Re-scored movies!

Not to mention just setting dialogue to a comfortable level without disturbing the neighbors. Or just watching Law and Order without having to turn off the album you're listening to.

Unlike the live dynamic compression, nobody in the industry is asking party though.

I don't think it would be incredibly difficult with how movies are done nowadays. A ton of dialogue gets re-recorded or only recorded in ADR after filming, especially anything where people are wearing masks or are totally CGI (like everyone in Marvel movies). Same with sound effects, usually because microphones can't pick up sounds correctly or at all or the real sounds don't seem "authentic" in a film (compare a real explosion or gunshot to how it sounds in movies and it's not even in the same ballpark of similarity). You'd have more difficulty with smaller films where everything or almost everything gets recorded on the set, but the big stuff like Marvel already has the majority of sounds being done or redone after the fact.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I've mastered a bunch of movies and there usually is a separate M&E (music and effects) mix made of the movie. It makes dubbing easier.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I think they meant it's unlikely that the unmixed audio will be made available to the public.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The biggest problem is (sound, not bitrate) compression rather than just mix channels from a generic standpoint https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

From what I understand, the biggest non-nostalgia reason that vinyl is reported as better than CD is because most use actual sane compression that actually give a big dynamic range, as opposed to CDs which use the same compression intended for FM radio

vvv: I hadn't heard that story before, that's hilarious

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 19:59 on May 12, 2016

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

Sentient Data posted:

The biggest problem is (sound, not bitrate) compression rather than just mix channels from a generic standpoint https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

The funniest story about the Loudness War was Red Hot Chili Peppers' Californication being mastered to duplicate the loudness of songs being played on the radio. When their songs finally reached the radio station, the multiband processor they used to "louden" songs with dynamic range didn't know what to do with a song whose waveform was basically a solid bar, so it squashed the track entirely. On air their debut single ended up sounding quieter than traditionally recorded songs.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
The worst is seeing a band live and picking up their album and then it sounds like muddy rear end.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I was lucky enough to see Antoine Dufour and a few others live a few years ago. I'd thought that their recordings were great, but holy gently caress nothing will ever match just how beautiful the music was live and just how hard the bass can hit your stomach. They had some kind of string instrument that was larger than a cello that they used for some of the bass, and god drat there are no words

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQlyHbu0zz4

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Brian Wilson recorded in mono and tested all songs on a tiny crappy speaker.

He wanted his music to sound good in a 1960s car radio.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sentient Data posted:

They had some kind of string instrument that was larger than a cello that they used for some of the bass, and god drat there are no words

Are you referring to an upright bass?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

flosofl posted:

lol "some kind of instrument!"

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Maybe, I don't play so I don't know the details at all. They did mention some of their stuff being custom made and had things like triple neck guitars (though AD did all his stuff on regular acoustics like in the video, though a couple may have had extra strings)

e: Yeah, whatever, I'm a dum; point was that even with great recordings, there are still ephemeral qualities to live music that it just can't capture. Maybe with incredibly expensive speakers, sure, but I was just offering a counterpoint to muddy recordings compared to live

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 21:36 on May 12, 2016

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

axolotl farmer posted:

That's smart.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

TotalLossBrain posted:

lol "some kind of instrument!"
Prick

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I play that instrument all the time.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

John Big Booty posted:

I play that instrument all the time.

It's not hard.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

flosofl posted:

One of my favorite parts of rockabilly/psychobilly.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

axolotl farmer posted:

Brian Wilson is also deaf in one ear.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

axolotl farmer posted:

http://www.avantonepro.com/Avantone-MixCubes-Full-Range-Mini-Reference-Monitors.html

These are used for this exact purpose.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Samizdata posted:

One of my favorite parts of rockabilly/psychobilly.

I saw that bass in person. Nekromantix put on a drat good show.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

pienipple posted:

The worst is seeing a band live and picking up their album and then it sounds like muddy rear end.
Nowhere close as bad as liking a band's CD, hearing them live (real live or on TV/video) for the first time, and realize that the lead singer has a terrible voice. Dave Grohl (not that I'm a fan of Foo Fighters anymore, but I was 15 years ago) just sounds godawful, and so do many other singers. I don't really like live performances in general, partly due to the voice thing, partly because I don't like improvisation when it comes to a good song I like, except a few rare cases.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Boomboxes with a line/aux in. Also, check every mix on Apple earbuds ideally played off an iPhone. And the car.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The Ape of Naples posted:

Boomboxes with a line/aux in. Also, check every mix on Apple earbuds ideally played off an iPhone. And the car.

It's a very good idea to check your mix based on your probable output device. Most people are gonna be listening in cars or on relatively cruddy little earbuds so it's really important to check your response on those.

Anyone listening on anything significantly better is probably gonna be an audiophile and you can usually rely on them to just believe that it's better no matter what.

I mean I listen to stuff on a $100 or so set of Sennheisers. I think they do sound noticeably better than some cheaper headphones but mostly it's because the noise isolating foam works and they're comfortable to wear for extended periods of time so y'know.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pilsner posted:

Nowhere close as bad as liking a band's CD, hearing them live (real live or on TV/video) for the first time, and realize that the lead singer has a terrible voice. Dave Grohl (not that I'm a fan of Foo Fighters anymore, but I was 15 years ago) just sounds godawful, and so do many other singers. I don't really like live performances in general, partly due to the voice thing, partly because I don't like improvisation when it comes to a good song I like, except a few rare cases.

Solution: Only go to death and black metal shows :v:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pilsner posted:

Well, there's also just things totally out of a singer's control. I saw The Birthday Massacre in 2012 and the singer could barely sustain any notes, then ran off stage as soon as her vocals for the last song were done. I later found out that she had some kind of surgery on her throat/vocal chords and decided against canceling the tour even though she shouldn't have been even trying to sing.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Pilsner posted:

I don't really like live performances in general, partly due to the voice thing, partly because I don't like improvisation when it comes to a good song I like, except a few rare cases.

Daryl Hall tends to butcher every single song live by dragging out the lyrics.

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008
Spotify Chat: They have all of the Radiohead albums except "In Rainbows". Which is the one that they released on the web as pay-what-you-want. Meaning you could buy it for $0, and Spotify can't figure out the licensing? :shrug:

Also: I always felt Dave Grohl's voice was good live, but I can't stand The Red Hot Chili Peppers live. To me they always sound like a high school cover band playing Chili Peppers songs.

Also Also: On the subject of music vs sound effects, I like that most games have separate volume levels for sound effects and music, because then I can just put on my own music if I choose.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

BuddyChrist posted:

Spotify Chat: They have all of the Radiohead albums except "In Rainbows". Which is the one that they released on the web as pay-what-you-want. Meaning you could buy it for $0, and Spotify can't figure out the licensing? :shrug:

Also: I always felt Dave Grohl's voice was good live, but I can't stand The Red Hot Chili Peppers live. To me they always sound like a high school cover band playing Chili Peppers songs.

Also Also: On the subject of music vs sound effects, I like that most games have separate volume levels for sound effects and music, because then I can just put on my own music if I choose.

Radiohead didn't want *any* of their albums on Spotify, but "In Rainbows" is one they own entirely, so that's the only one they had any say over. Thom Yorke called Spotify "the last desperate fart of a dying corpse".

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I saw that bass in person. Nekromantix put on a drat good show.

I could only wish, but I couldn't imagine them doing anything else.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

That same statement could be used to describe every Radiohead album after OK Computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

spudsbuckley posted:

That same statement could be used to describe Radiohead

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO has a new favorite as of 22:33 on May 13, 2016