Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Dareon posted:

That comment about how if the chicken attack happened in Dishonored you'd start feeling like a slasher movie villain got me thinking. Corvo's powerset has a hell of a lot in common with slasher villains. It's only the AI's lack of a significant fear response that keeps the slasher feeling from being more prevalent.

I love reenacting the Masque of the Red Death at Lady Boyle's party. But yeah, something like Arkham Asylum's predator fear AI would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The game needs more terror mechanics, because the big thing that stands out when I watch the videos is that Orv and Roboky just aren't monstrous enough. I hope dishonored 2 does a better job at making me feel like some sort of psychopathic serial killer.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

DOOP posted:

CirclMastr Sister: Famous actress

CirclMastr: Makes LP for weirdos on the internet
Clearly special guest commentator material!

MooCowlian posted:

The game needs more terror mechanics... I hope dishonored 2 does a better job at making me feel like some sort of psychopathic serial killer.
Especially when Emily does the shadowmonster thing. I want to see a dude try to run and set off the alarms on seeing that, and instead of being instilled with confidence by the alarm and coming back for a fight, keep running and try to find more alarms to set off. Just one guy trying to hide at the far end of the level, every single alarm between you and him going off, and most of the guards alert but confused because that guy sure as hell didn't stop to explain himself.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I never actually realised how stupidly courageous the guards in this game are until this conversation but you're absolutely right, a fear AI would take this game to the next level.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fathis Munk posted:

I never actually realised how stupidly courageous the guards in this game are until this conversation but you're absolutely right, a fear AI would take this game to the next level.

Considering all the freaky poo poo Corvo is capable of doing to a normal person they have spines made of pure unobtanium.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
If Dishonored 2 has fear mechanics, I hope to the natural philosphers are turning out some version of Elixir of Spiritual Steadfastness, which is basically Natural Philosopher PCP/meth/coke to help everyone overcome their fear of getting violently shanked from the shadows.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SpookyLizard posted:

If Dishonored 2 has fear mechanics, I hope to the natural philosphers are turning out some version of Elixir of Spiritual Steadfastness, which is basically Natural Philosopher PCP/meth/coke to help everyone overcome their fear of getting violently shanked from the shadows.

Yeah, a fear mechanic system woudl quickly become boring/annoying if every single enemy ran away. It's the worst of the two extremes, the other extreme being what we have now which isn't all that realistic but still relatively fun and gives better challenge/gameplay than "hunt down all the dudes curled up and whimpering in the corner."

Now if you had the officers rallying (or at least trying to rally) other worried soldiers (despite obviously being terrified themselves) and the occasional grunt who showed no fear (likely shouting how magic's not real and it's all parlor tricks) added into the mix it becomes a lot better.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The alternative to them running away is them surrendering, which can work fairly well. Get the guards scared and kill off the Captain and then they'll surrender and you can bypass them or summon a legion of rats, or possibly make them do useful stuff (open doors, disable security systems, etc). Then if you start killing them they'll pick their swords back up and go back to trying to murder you, because they'd rather die on their feet. of course if the Assassin gets a reputation for murdering everyone, then maybe guards will stop each other from surrendering.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Get some Commissars in there.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
They're already :commissar:ing each other juuust fine though.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
So GameInformer has a little preview thing about Corvo and what he'll be bringing to the table for Dishonored 2

Not a fan of the outfit concept art myself, much preferred his old coat (can see why he might be rid of that though).

But taking a look at his powers list, most importantly his Possession skill.

quote:

Corvo can jump into the body of a rat and scurry through tunnels. When upgraded, he can also posses bloodflies and dead bodies.

Article also has some nice lore on Corvo so it's 100% pertinent to the thread. Have at it.

TheLastRoboKy fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 12, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

TheLastRoboKy posted:

So GameInformer has a little preview thing about Corvo and what he'll be bringing to the table for Dishonored 2

Not a fan of the outfit concept art myself, much preferred his old coat (can see why he might be rid of that though).

But taking a look at his powers list, most importantly his Possession skill.

Article also has some nice lore on Corvo so it's 100% pertinent to the thread. Have at it.

Now I'm not sure if I want to play Emily because she's so badass, or Corvo so I don't have to look at him. :(

He looks like he's on a runway.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That outfit gives me immediate flashbacks to the younger, hipper redesign of Garrett. I'm sure it's not as bad as all that but blech.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Why is he wearing a vest hoodie over another vest? Does he need two vests like 50 Cent needs two hats?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
That's what rich people do

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

CirclMastr posted:

Why is he wearing a vest hoodie over another vest? Does he need two vests like 50 Cent needs two hats?

Examining the vest hoody thing, it seems to have spots for his crossbow, sword and pistol. So along with the mask it seems to be his "working gear" that sort of slides over whatever else he's wearing simply enough regardless of what he's wearing. Which is cool from a practical sense. I'd like to see an actual game model for it though.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
He looks like an Assassin's Creed character with shorter coat tails.

I'm down with it actually. It looks rad.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, a fear mechanic system woudl quickly become boring/annoying if every single enemy ran away. It's the worst of the two extremes, the other extreme being what we have now which isn't all that realistic but still relatively fun and gives better challenge/gameplay than "hunt down all the dudes curled up and whimpering in the corner."

Now if you had the officers rallying (or at least trying to rally) other worried soldiers (despite obviously being terrified themselves) and the occasional grunt who showed no fear (likely shouting how magic's not real and it's all parlor tricks) added into the mix it becomes a lot better.

I think you could make it that if you don't actually kill people they also get less scared of you

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Man, the new art does a much better job of highlighting Corvo's build, too. It was always a little hard to get a feel of his proportions underneath his coat.

And only now do they point out that he is actually almost identical to my build. We're exactly the same height, and Corvo's slightly bulkier around the chest but we're otherwise almost exactly the same weight, too. That's kind of awesome.

e: Also, interesting note - in the canon ending, Daud lives in addition to Emily.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 12, 2016

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Slightly sad they didn't go with the high chaos ending as canon but hey, more dishonored is more dishonored.

As for Corvo's new duds, I like 'em. Actually looks like an assassin's garb instead of the outcast nobleman thing we got going on here.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Oh man I hope they play up the Old Man Corvo thing in a fun way. Snake being old was one of my favorite parts about MGS4 and Arkane seem like the kind of people who would actually have fun with an old man protagonist. I'm also glad it feels like his powers are just getting further upgraded and not 'reset' between games.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Oh good, from that description for bend time it sounds like the game turns into Superhot when it's active. Possession also sounds like it's ripping a take from Raziel's book.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Serkanos looks like a much more tropical climate than Dunwall. The old heavy coat might leave you drowning in your own sweat. Corvo's new outfit looks more suited to protection from the sun and being eaten alive by insects, which by all indications is going to be a thing in this game.

There was something in that preview about Bloodflies laying their eggs in corpses, and since Corvo's summoned plague rats eat corpses, flies and rats are hostile to each other. And it will be important to the chaos level to not leave bodies lying around - whatever that means to you.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
SUPER RAT
SUPER RAT
SUPER RAT

It's actually interesting that the upgraded version is the one that allows passage of time. Also I like that blink seems to have adapted to the improvements the dlc adds to it.

Coolguye posted:

And only now do they point out that he is actually almost identical to my build. We're exactly the same height, and

:hfive: 1m95ish buddy!

E: so when's your corvo cos play coming Coolguye?

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 12, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Fathis Munk posted:

E: so when's your corvo cos play coming Coolguye?
You joke, but I actually know a pretty skilled woman at that sort of thing and it's been on my to-do list for a while to get a double-breasted trench coat because she's kind of dying to get me rolling around as the Tall Man from the Chzo Mythos.

So, uh, possibly pretty soon if the mask situation could be sorted out. :v:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'd be really impressed if someone ever cosplayed a Tall Boy.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
After the Loyalist missions I got this sudden urge to go back into the game and to gently caress around a bit with the combat system.

Especially since I felt that Corvo's anti friction butt had not been used enough in this LP (Even though in the end Roboky did use it quite a bit in the last vid)

This is the result of my experimentation. Can you just straight up melee tallboys to death ? Tune in to find out :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kpQwQrxZz0

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Fathis Munk posted:

After the Loyalist missions I got this sudden urge to go back into the game and to gently caress around a bit with the combat system.

Especially since I felt that Corvo's anti friction butt had not been used enough in this LP (Even though in the end Roboky did use it quite a bit in the last vid)

This is the result of my experimentation. Can you just straight up melee tallboys to death ? Tune in to find out :v:

im coolguy and i approve this message

because it's going in the OP bitches

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Science is beautiful.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.

Fathis Munk posted:

Holy poo poo the slow time and moving the guy into the path of his own bullet is all sorts of amazing!

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

First video suggestion, Everything Wrong With The Punisher.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Fathis Munk posted:

It is absolutely beautiful.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Alkydere posted:

Dishonored itself presents us with another solution for enemies fleeing all over. Each guard has a designated... 'safe spot'. Over time within a level, these locations will change as the guards patrol around and mark their territory...

Fathis Munk posted:

They're going to make Tallerboys because of you, aren't they?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Fathis Munk posted:

I don't entirely know why, but I fuckin' lost my poo poo when you just plucked the Tallboy's bolt out of the air.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Fathis Munk posted:

Windblasting the bullet back into the guy who shot it was a lot more spectacular than I think anybody could have guessed. Does that always happen?

That was some good science.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Has she said anything about it in a way that chickens have come up in the conversations you may or may not have had about the game? This is important to me.

I have asked her about it, and apparently she's only filmed the teaser trailer that's been released. She also informed me that she'll probably not see a full script, only the portions where her character appears. But she'll let me know if chickens come up.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Brainamp posted:

First video suggestion, Everything Wrong With The Punisher.

Oddly Satisfying Compilation 2016. :v:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Fathis Munk posted:

After watching you eviscerate a man I have deep, deep regrets about not taking Wind Blast.

CirclMastr posted:

I have asked her about it, and apparently she's only filmed the teaser trailer that's been released. She also informed me that she'll probably not see a full script, only the portions where her character appears. But she'll let me know if chickens come up.

Well on one hand that's unfortunate but on the other hand it's probably good because it at least tells us David Cage isn't Hitchcock about his birds and acting.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Haha, glad you guys enjoyed that vid as much as I did making it!

auzdark posted:

Holy poo poo the slow time and moving the guy into the path of his own bullet is all sorts of amazing!

It is one of my favourite stupid little tricks. It's hilariously time and mana inefficient bit there's something so satisfying about it.

IMJack posted:

Windblasting the bullet back into the guy who shot it was a lot more spectacular than I think anybody could have guessed. Does that always happen?

That was some good science.

My plan was indeed to windblast the bullet back into the dude but I'm pretty sure in the end I just windblasted him into the wall. Which resulted in all his body parts frozen in the air. Happy little accidents :v: I should try that once more, maybe if you stand further away

TheLastRoboKy posted:

After watching you eviscerate a man I have deep, deep regrets about not taking Wind Blast..

What astonished me the most was the stagger effect on tallboys where they actually drop the firebolt they nocked. It actually renders them pretty harmless when they are on their own.

There's a buncha new stuff I wanted to try at some point : can you pick up/windblast away the rockets from security towers? Can you actually windblast bullets/fire bolts back into people if you're far away enough? And all the other happy accidents you might run into trying that out.

The thing with being far away enough from a guard to reflect it's bullet is that I think it would be super fidgety. The game actually fudges the whole shoot/bend time thing. When a guard has his gun raised and you bend time, it tends to make him go through the shooting procedure and then freeze, so the bullet ends up close to him. I think you can see it in the vid. That's actually a good thing though since the bullets are so fast that with the cast delay it's a pain to try and stop them in flight (unlike tallboy arrows which are way slower).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I don't think you can windblast bullets back to the sender, but they coded it pretty leniently for fire arrows, so they almost always get sent back straight to the shooter, regardless of angle.

• Locked thread