Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

RBA Starblade posted:

Bradford stepping up to bat would be more impactful than it already is if he didn't already save Earth as the star psi-op of XCOM in my first campaign. Thanks character pool. :haw:

e: He's holding a new gun!

That's actually just his modded abomination of a gun from the tutorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Does this mean we can lose Bradford and we will never hear him again during Terror missions?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Aut Neca Aut Necare

Kill or Be Killed, always loved those badges from EW

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

ZearothK posted:

Does this mean we can lose Bradford and we will never hear him again during Terror missions?

The mission fails and you have to restart if he dies, sorry. :v:

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I wonder if it would help people perceive the rulers as less OP if they still got moves for your soldier actions, but were still taking them on the alien turn. That way you could prepare instead of going OH gently caress KILL IT NOW. On the other hand they seem to be intended to shake up the usual XCOM strategy like that.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Grizzwold posted:

I wonder if it would help people perceive the rulers as less OP if they still got moves for your soldier actions, but were still taking them on the alien turn. That way you could prepare instead of going OH gently caress KILL IT NOW. On the other hand they seem to be intended to shake up the usual XCOM strategy like that.

Nah, it described the uber-archon's special move as that flare thing that archons do, except the pinions fall after a turn. It explicitly says that you're pick someone to move to safety, and then everyone else gets hurt.

edit oh wait you're doing a "what-if", nvm

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I'm going to start a new game and maaaybe not have the various wizard class mods on for this DLC.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

many johnnys posted:

Nah, it described the uber-archon's special move as that flare thing that archons do, except the pinions fall after a turn. It explicitly says that you're pick someone to move to safety, and then everyone else gets hurt.

Everyone wounded button, that sounds like fun.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Christopher Odd's youtube just showed off the new Alien Hunters mission and the Viper King in action. Not as horrible as you might have feared, but it is indeed tough. Looks like his counter to the "moves every turn" thing is to hit the bastard with damage over time effects like acid and burning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDLI37bkfyU

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

patch notes posted:

Fixed an issue where the doom countdown timer was refilling after the Avatar bar filled up

Well there goes that strategy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Exposure posted:

I have to actually be good at the geoscape now. :v:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Just started a new run with a lot of mod classes. Used the non-LW Officer class and Trooper class. This time, took, I think Infantry (starts with don't move, shoot twice), Rogue (doesn't break cloak when team does), Guerilla (AOE Mark Target), and Bruiser (bum rush a fuckin alien, hit him with your gun and stun him, and use him as high cover.) Bruiser seems pretty broken, cause that basic ability functions like a Ranger Slash, but lets you take a pistol shot or chuck a grenade after, under Full Cover.

Looks like I'll have to start over if the Alien Hunters are released. :v:

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Issue my arse; quit beagalancing, Jake!

No more epic drawn out comp stomps then. Bit of a bitch given how long everything takes to happen on leg-end though.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

quote:

Repeater no longer triggers after Stock damage or damage done over time
SOLOMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cool, my game hangs indefinitely when I try to equip any of the new weapons. This is off to a great start.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Speedball posted:

Christopher Odd's youtube just showed off the new Alien Hunters mission and the Viper King in action. Not as horrible as you might have feared, but it is indeed tough. Looks like his counter to the "moves every turn" thing is to hit the bastard with damage over time effects like acid and burning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDLI37bkfyU

There is a point in which we should stop adding HP to something, and I do not think we have yet reached that point. :stonklol:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
it's pretty hilarious how they went back to the drawing board on health representations and still came back with something that's worse than the mod that just turns it into a goddamn number

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Sombrerotron posted:

SOLOMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

Exposure posted:

I am glad of both of these :getin:

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Turns out you cant drop evac zones on soldiers anymore :xcom:

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Captain Gordon posted:

Oh come the gently caress on. :suicide:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Captain Gordon posted:

hahah

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Captain Gordon posted:

That one doesn't make sense, the zone is supposed to contain soldiers, you just have to mind obstacles and debris.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So looking at the new weapons,

The grenade is obviously the most useful. Free small AOE stasis is super powerful and good.
The pistol is great at the beginning of the game, but seems like it might fall off later since its stuck at base pistol damage. And you only get the one conceal shot. Still, you could always throw it on a dedicated Sniper for conceal shenanigens.
Axes are whatever. Still kinda bad though a free action sword attack 1/mission is decent I guess? Basically a pure (and incredibly minor) upgrade.
Rifle is weird. Seems to be the most interesting though.

Like, they're all definitely worth bringing I think. But none really scream 'overpowered' and there are definitely situations where you'd want to take other stuff over everything except the freeze grenade.

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 12, 2016

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

many johnnys posted:

That one doesn't make sense, the zone is supposed to contain soldiers, you just have to mind obstacles and debris.

I'd imagine it's a balancing thing to make it so that if you want to shoot and then evac you have to prepare the turn before.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

is the new Alien Hunter DLC a kind of thing you can choose to activate? Or will downloading it automatically force me to keep fighting those 3 megaman bosses in all future playthroughs? I'm curious if it's an optional thing you can choose not to pursue for some game saves.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

MinibarMatchman posted:

is the new Alien Hunter DLC a kind of thing you can choose to activate? Or will downloading it automatically force me to keep fighting those 3 megaman bosses in all future playthroughs? I'm curious if it's an optional thing you can choose not to pursue for some game saves.

You can turn it on and off in Steam, not sure where but there is Downloadable Content options somewhere.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Every balance patch makes this game less fun to play. :(

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

You now get a memorial wall dedicated to displaying the number of enemies you killed.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

I'd imagine it's a balancing thing to make it so that if you want to shoot and then evac you have to prepare the turn before.

If you plan to shoot and evac, you were going to evac anyway which means the mission's over. This is more balancing "now it's harder to save soldiers who are bleeding out" (although that doesn't come up that often anyway in my experience)

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Maluco Marinero posted:

You can turn it on and off in Steam, not sure where but there is Downloadable Content options somewhere.

If it's anything like EU and EW, there will be a box to check/uncheck at the beginning of a new game. I'd start by checking there.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Where are the patch notes? I haven't been able to find them anywhere.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Disillusionist posted:

Where are the patch notes? I haven't been able to find them anywhere.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/268500/announcements/detail/806520211341249718

Got to scroll down a bit, though.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

many johnnys posted:

If you plan to shoot and evac, you were going to evac anyway which means the mission's over. This is more balancing "now it's harder to save soldiers who are bleeding out" (although that doesn't come up that often anyway in my experience)

Or you were avoiding putting a guy in sickbay because you can run him through poison, acid, whatever and then evac him before he takes damage
Or explode a soldiers cover knowing that he won't be on the map come alien phase anyways.

All this changes is that you have to think about evac in advance and can't just pull soldiers to safety on a whim. Which I'm fine with because that was broken as all hell.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I'm assuming they still haven't officially fixed soldiers always dying when they hit 0 HP rather than having good chances to go critical, and that smoke grenades still aren't officially fixed.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
X-Com 1. Great expansion that makes the entire game better.

X-Com 2. poo poo, tiny amounts of DLC content, delivered piecemeal that arguably makes the game worse.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The developers are really kind of clueless about what's good about their own game and this DLC emphasizes that

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Exposure posted:

Wait, so you can't ride the clock anymore? That sucks.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah I dunno how I feel about the death of clock riding. On one hand it was kind of a lame strategy but on the other it was a high stakes fright fest watching that sucker click down and that was exciting.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/M_Nauta/status/730816733095837697

So I guess you can still ride the clock the first time around, but after that, the max it can reset to is a week (at least on Legend difficulty), so it's not the worst thing in the world. You'd probably want to ensure you have a mission lined up though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

firaxis broke my mods *sob*