Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That episode was good. The dinosaur book was sweet. :3: I guess it's not a real book but it was certainly believable. Also I was hoping the thing Barry had to catch was literally a dinosaur, but oh well.

Also I'm hoping Barry will just poke Wally and Speed Force him up as well. Then he just randomly zaps people like static electricity, only it makes people speedsters too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The dinosaur book was pretty much plagiarised directly from The Runaway Bunny

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Zebulon posted:

Given how much the season 1 finale scene with Nora destroyed Smith I'm not surprised he'd take the chance to do his own take on it.
Okay, this is probably why I'm so confused by the praise for this episode.

Barry already had a tearful resolution with his mother that actually dealt with a present drama. This is the show drudging up his past for no discernable reason other than making the actors do cryfaces under sad music and...I'm still honestly not sure what the point of Barry's time with the Speedforce was actually meant to get across. "Barry, you need to get your speed. Barry, remember your childhood? Okay, now you have your speed. And also magical powers...?"

It was the ultimate non-arc. He learned nothing of value. He confronted no inner demons that hadn't previously been slain. Zero revelation. It was just as much of a meandering timewaste as most of the rest of the season.

I mean christ, I thought at the very least with his weird speech last week about really needing his speed, we might get a "I mean, I'm actually cool and happy with who I am as a person and I value my friends, I am not defined by my speed powers, but I am willing to sacrifice myself to get them so that I can save people" or some poo poo. Instead his powers are literally the only thing that make him special. And Barry's characterisation - so diluted from the optimistic, upbeat, charmingly dorky, helpful guy he was introduced as - is now reduced entirely to "fast". Oh and "still in love with Iris, I guess?"

What am I missing here?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Incredibly lowered standards.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

If you thought Barry killed a lot of people before, now he has returned with the Speedforce bloodlust.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

nooneofconsequence posted:

If you thought Barry killed a lot of people before, now he has returned with the Speedforce bloodlust.

They even introduced like 20 new fresh bodies just in time for the finale!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TEAH SYAG posted:

Considering the events with Ray and Squawk-Girl and her indentured lovitude to Stalk-man in Legends, this hypothesis would seem to fall right in line with the status quo.

What happened in Legends?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Renoistic posted:

They even introduced like 20 new fresh bodies just in time for the finale!

I hope Barry kills them all in an instant exactly like Zoom killed all the cops.

Just lean into Barry being a crazy speed murderer.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

tsob posted:

Carter died, Shaira and Ray fell in love, there was a bit of "you're destined to be with Carter and any other relationships will end in heartbreak" stuff from one of her past lives, she decided to reject that and enjoy the life she had rather than sabotaging it for destiny. Then they found a Carter reincarnation, and she immediately got all doe-eyed over him.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

tsob posted:

I'll spoiler in case someone hasn't seen it yet:
The team goes back to 1950's, Ray and Kendra get setup as a couple as their cover. They end up getting stuck there for a couple years and develop a relationship. Ray is about to propose when Rip comes back and picks them up. Kendra and Ray continue their relationship, but every time someone mentions Hawkboy Carter she gets all weak-kneed and doe-eyed, and people keep saying she's destined for Carter and anyone else she's with will end badly. When she finally meets up with Stalkboy... but he's brainwashed to hate her (oh noes!) So she starts reciting ancient love poems to him and Ray gets the weirdest boner and the writers make him lose his mind over being rejected. After a savage (wink wink) beating he gets better, I guess.

tldr: LoT writers are lovely at writing romance plots.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

tsob posted:

Do I need to spoiler this?

...Okay, just in case, Legends of Tomorrow Season 1 spoilers:

- Vandal Savage kills Hawkman in, like, episode 3 or 4
- Everybody mopes, decides "we'll do this for Hawkman!"
- Hawkwoman and Atom start a relationship
- A previous incarnation of Hawkwoman tells Hawkwoman that every relationship she'll ever try to have is doomed if it's not with Hawkman
- Team goes to kill Vandal Savage, find a new Hawkman who doesn't remember any of his history
- Hawkwoman tries to "remember who you are" Hawkman by telling her how much in love they've always been
- Atom breaks it off with Hawkwoman because he's understandably upset by this stupid plotline
- I haven't seen this week's episode

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ray goes back in time and becomes Vandal Savage

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, I gotta side with the people who really didn't care for this episode. I know Smith didn't write it, but everyone suddenly sounded like they'd just stepped out of one of his movies. The flow of dialogue felt awkward and staged. I'm actually having a hard time believing Smith isn't responsible for some script revisions, despite his protestations to the contrary. I mean...no one but Smith could have written that "That's my mom's car!!!" scene.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Man if last episode was bad to you why do you watch? It's by far the best this season and that's not high praise

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, I gotta side with the people who really didn't care for this episode. I know Smith didn't write it, but everyone suddenly sounded like they'd just stepped out of one of his movies. The flow of dialogue felt awkward and staged. I'm actually having a hard time believing Smith isn't responsible for some script revisions, despite his protestations to the contrary. I mean...no one but Smith could have written that "That's my mom's car!!!" scene.

I think the Speedforce felt way too "human", with a humans sense of humor and concern. As a godlike being that's been around since the beginning of the universe, having it not feel alien at all wasn't the best way to go I don't think. The Girder B-plot was also pretty weak. Those things said, Iris and Wally were definitely better than normal. I really want Wally to have a "figures poo poo out by himself since everyone is being a lying rear end to him for no reason" plotline.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I was okay with them drudging up the mother drama for this episode because I always thought his decision to not save his mother was really dumb and that they've never really examined the fallout of that.

I agree that all this drama was drudged up though. They absolutely have not shown that his mother's death had fuckall to do with any of Barry's issues this season.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Shakugan posted:

I think the Speedforce felt way too "human", with a humans sense of humor and concern.

I felt like everyone felt like they had the same sense of humour. All of a sudden Iris was sounding like Cisco and Joe was sounding like Cisco and even Harry was sounding like Cisco and Cisco was, like, mega-Cisco. Usually, Carlos Valdez delivers his should-be-cringeworthy lines in a way that makes them endearing and funny, but this episode felt like it was pushing that too far.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Phylodox posted:

I felt like everyone felt like they had the same sense of humour. All of a sudden Iris was sounding like Cisco and Joe was sounding like Cisco and even Harry was sounding like Cisco and Cisco was, like, mega-Cisco. Usually, Carlos Valdez delivers his should-be-cringeworthy lines in a way that makes them endearing and funny, but this episode felt like it was pushing that too far.

Look out Mozart, Cisco Ramon is about to conduct somethin' nasty!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The Speedforce is supposed to be like unnaturally calming. Which is why everything it did made Barry uncomfortable, but not enough for him to tell it to gently caress off or for him to lose it completely. He still never quite warmed up to it though. The revelation that Barry had never visited his mother's grave is when I realized he was still not over his mother. And considering I know Flashpoint exists, I'm led to believe that he never will. The thing with Iris is maybe meant to replace that love. I dunno, he wouldn't tell her that he loved her and just get on with it. The dialogue between the two is always really awkward.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Supergirl's moving to the CW so get ready for more crossovers.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/supergirl-the-cw-season-2-1201773032/

Timo
Jul 12, 2001

Suit up!

Koalas March posted:

How does this work for the show? Didn't they make it a point in the crossover to say there was no Central City in Supergirl's world to prove it was another Earth? Also, this puts Superman in the Flash/Arrow/Legends world now, right?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Timo posted:

How does this work for the show? Didn't they make it a point in the crossover to say there was no Central City in Supergirl's world to prove it was another Earth? Also, this puts My Cousin in the Flash/Arrow/Legends world now, right?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Timo posted:

How does this work for the show? Didn't they make it a point in the crossover to say there was no Central City in Supergirl's world to prove it was another Earth? Also, this puts Superman in the Flash/Arrow/Legends world now, right?

If they're really smart, they'll mine it as a storyline. Like, Supergirl's city gets sucked into the Arrowverse during some cataclysmic showdown, and then everyone in the city has to deal with being separated from their friends etc. In particular, it gives a fantastic excuse for "why doesn't Superman just fix all of Kara's problems". Just come up with some bullshit reason for why they can't get back to the Supergirl universe. It'll make crossover material much more sensible, but also provide some super interesting story beats.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Timo posted:

Crisis on Three Earths. Arrowverse get Atlantis and Gorilla City from Earth-2, and National City from Earth-S. Superman dies heroically off-screen and we can all forget he was ever alluded to.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
It's still an alternate Earth,

until the Flash/Arrow/Flash/Legends of Tomorrow/Supergirl Mega crossove

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Jack of Hearts posted:

Crisis on Three Earths. Arrowverse get Atlantis and Gorilla City from Earth-2, and National City from Earth-S. Superman dies heroically off-screen and we can all forget he was ever alluded to.

Better yet, they can do a cover tribute with the roles reversed.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Timo posted:

They made a point of saying there WAS a Central City, but no STAR Labs. Not that it matters; this being DC, they're going to cook up some dimensional trickery to get around that.

That said, I'm still pulling for a Crisis on Infinite Networks event that brings in Constantine, the new NBC show, Gotham, and hell, Lucifer and Preacher are technically DC, yeah?

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

What if instead of legends of tomorrow season 2 we got a live action b-side justice league where all the shows happen at once

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Argue posted:

They made a point of saying there WAS a Central City, but no STAR Labs. Not that it matters; this being DC, they're going to cook up some dimensional trickery to get around that.

That said, I'm still pulling for a Crisis on Infinite Networks event that brings in Constantine, the new NBC show, Gotham, and hell, Lucifer and Preacher are technically DC, yeah?

Lucifer and Preacher were published by DC's Vertigo imprint but Preacher is not an in universe series. Technically neither is Lucifer.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Argue posted:

Also iZombie, though obviously it deserves better.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Koalas March posted:

quote:

It was CBS’ top-rated rookie drama this season in the demo, and was also its youngest-skewing drama with a median age of 55.6

That's pretty incredible. Is no one without grandkids watching this?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Guesses from the trailer:

Evil Hawkgirl (right side with wings)
Weather Wizard (and possibly girl weather wizard?) (Front right, and standing behind him 2 rows)
Boomerang (Left, below green fire hand)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The worst part of this is Earth-2 Dolph Ziggler on the right.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They're totally gonna do flashpoint paradox in a season or two aren't they?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
It'd be pretty weird for them to revisit Barry trying to save his mom yet again, but it's possible. The first season was basically leading to Flashpoint and then swerved at the last minute. And we just got the "depowered Barry gets his powers back" plot last week.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Skyl3lazer posted:

Weather Wizard (and possibly girl weather wizard?) (Front right, and standing behind him 2 rows)

Don't forget Team Rocket on the far right.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Argue posted:

LoT Season 2 being about a Crisis event with dimension hopping might be pretty good. Keep Arrow, Flash and Supergirl separate for their S5, 3 and 2 respectively and then resolve the fallout from the Crisis before or during the start of their next seasons (if any).

Instead of Rip, we get the Monitor or Monarch who'd work as walking plot devices rather than actual characters so there's potentially one less character that could be terrible

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Xelkelvos posted:

LoT Season 2 being about a Crisis event with dimension hopping might be pretty good. Keep Arrow, Flash and Supergirl separate for their S5, 3 and 2 respectively and then resolve the fallout from the Crisis before or during the start of their next seasons (if any).

Instead of Rip, we get the Monitor or Monarch who'd work as walking plot devices rather than actual characters so there's potentially one less character that could be terrible

This would be an awesome way to handle all of the series now that Supergirl is on CW. Since it's TV and not comics it's probably never going to happen, but man that would be a great way to tie everything together.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Skyl3lazer posted:

Chokes McGee posted:

The worst part of this is Earth-2 Dolph Ziggler on the right.

There has to be a reason the red headed jedi on the far right is standing all by his lonesome over there. In terms of framing that's like saying "yo that one is different/better than the rest."

...or he's late and just got in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Duke Chin posted:

There has to be a reason the red headed jedi on the far right is standing all by his lonesome over there. In terms of framing that's like saying "yo that one is different/better than the rest."

...or he's late and just got in.

What I want to know is, what kind of powers does Newsboy behind Not Dolph Zigger have?

• Locked thread