Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
We would have mistakenly thought of Nauru as a warm paradise instead of a steaming shithole abused by Australia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I think the OP was intending for goons to discover the islands true nature on their own... like a poo poo and trash covered easter egg hunt.

As an Aussie though, this poo poo is so incredibly hosed up. Two people have burnt themselves to death on the island in protest of the conditions and there has been basically no media coverage over it.

Ive heard people refer to it as a "political stunt" and I couldn't believe it, you dont set yourself on fire unless you are loving serious.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

MoreLikeTen posted:

what the gently caress was this thread going to be about if that guy didnt come in and drop like 50 anecdotes about it being hell island

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Runaktla posted:

a steaming shithole abused by Australia?

this aint redtube dude got drat

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Vladimir Poutine posted:

One thing about small Pacific countries that is kinda striking when you get there is how much influence they are under from other countries. Traditionally it was mostly Australia and in some places the US and NZ but in recent years China is becoming a much bigger player. I've noticed a lot of random roads will have signs saying they were funded by the Chinese government and there are a lot of small businesses run by Chinese expats popping up all over the Pacific. The Japanese also built a few fire stations in Tonga, probably so they can access whales in Vavaʻu. But my personal "favourite" is the Mormons, who like to put these signs out the front of their schools and temples that tell people not to speak their native language. I think I took this photo in Tongatapu, I can't remember exactly:

Also re: obesity in the Pacific, this explains a lot of it:

China has been making an extremely strong push in Palau and the FSM, where the US is getting weary of the pocketbook drain. Japan funded the road around Pohnpei, presumably in exchange for fishing rights. China's interests are a combination of fishing, tourist expansion, and political maneuvering, esp. with regards to Taiwan.

The Mormons can make strong pushes in the Pacific because no other religion puts in the money and effort that they do. Not really much different than going to the Philippines or rural US where the Catholic/Christian church is the nicest building in the town by a longshot.

Re: obesity, Samoa tried to ban turkey tails, a notoriously fatty food, and the WTO stomped on their heads until the ban was overturned. Unfortunately, fatty unhealthy poo poo survives the long shipping times far better than vegetables, and farming local vegetables in a salty, super-humid, high temperature climate is difficult.

On the other hand, goons can finally have a chance to own Goon Island for reals, in Kosrae:

https://wintheislandestates.com/enter/

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Abongination posted:

I think the OP was intending for goons to discover the islands true nature on their own... like a poo poo and trash covered easter egg hunt.

As an Aussie though, this poo poo is so incredibly hosed up. Two people have burnt themselves to death on the island in protest of the conditions and there has been basically no media coverage over it.

Ive heard people refer to it as a "political stunt" and I couldn't believe it, you dont set yourself on fire unless you are loving serious.

I'm surprised its not covered more, the stuff going on there is pretty intense. Not to mention the island just has a generally depressing history.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Abugadu posted:

China has been making an extremely strong push in Palau and the FSM, where the US is getting weary of the pocketbook drain. Japan funded the road around Pohnpei, presumably in exchange for fishing rights. China's interests are a combination of fishing, tourist expansion, and political maneuvering, esp. with regards to Taiwan.

The Mormons can make strong pushes in the Pacific because no other religion puts in the money and effort that they do. Not really much different than going to the Philippines or rural US where the Catholic/Christian church is the nicest building in the town by a longshot.

Re: obesity, Samoa tried to ban turkey tails, a notoriously fatty food, and the WTO stomped on their heads until the ban was overturned. Unfortunately, fatty unhealthy poo poo survives the long shipping times far better than vegetables, and farming local vegetables in a salty, super-humid, high temperature climate is difficult.

On the other hand, goons can finally have a chance to own Goon Island for reals, in Kosrae:

https://wintheislandestates.com/enter/

350 for 3 jpegs? what is this, star citiz

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

thank you mr.sloth for this amazing journey to trash island.

all research into the subject has led me to one conclusion: the roaming packs of feral dogs run nauru

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Papua New Guinea is another nearby island nation that hosts an Australian detention centre and has one of the most terrifying capital cities in existence.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/inpictures/2012/09/201292892518329408.html

quote:

Since Australia granted Papua New Guinea independence in 1975, its capital Port Moresby has become synonymous with violent crime carried out by "raskol" gangs.

Although much of the crime is driven by poverty, tribal allegiance also plays a part in the ethnically diverse capital. Papua New Guinea has more than 760 distinctly different languages.

The raskol street gangs control much of the city of 250,000 inhabitants, some armed with automatic weapons and machetes. Raskol raids on businesses and compounds are common.

Unemployment has been estimated between 60 and 90 per cent in the city. In 2004, Port Moresby received the dubious honour of being named the world's least liveable city by the Economist.

While most expatriates live within fortified compounds, it is the native Papuans who bear the brunt of Port Moresby's violent crime. The city's largest police station is located in Boroko in the southeast.

According to station commander, Senior Inspector Mark Yangan, an average week consists of about three murders, four rapes, and 30 car-jackings. Few murders are ever solved and Yangan admits the rape statistic is misleading, as most go unreported. As a whole, Port Moresby has a murder rate of 54 per 100,000 citizens, more than 10 times Australia's national average.

Most of Port Moresby's citizens live in the grip of poverty with low or no wages. The nation's corrupt and ineffectual government provides no social security, and many essential items are imported and therefor beyond people’s means. Sanitation is inadequate and in recent years, Port Moresby has seen its first cholera outbreaks since the 1960s.

The compounds of the city’s close-knit expatriate community are protected by security guards and attack dogs. The Australian High Commission, surrounded by high concrete walls and razor wire, provides arguably its most secure accommodation. It is jokingly referred to by locals as "Fort poo poo-Scared".

Graffiti and razor meet Port Moresby residents throughout the city.

Detainees are marched into custody.

Unemployment has been estimated at anything between 60-90 per cent.

A bullet-pierced police vehicle exemplifies the dangers officers face.

An average week consists of 3 murders, 4 rapes, and 28 car-jackings.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2224612/The-Gangs-New-Guinea-Chilling-photographs-street-criminals-worlds-uninhabitable-cities.html

quote:

The criminals from the exotic island of Papua New Guinea are the subject of a new photo book about the Raskol gangs ruling the streets of the country's capital city, Port Moresby.

Photographer Stephen Dupont traveled to the mysterious land off the northeast tip of Australia to photograph the faces of these gang members who roam the streets of the city.

Dupont, a native of Australia, traveled to the island, which is one of the least explored spaces on earth, in 2004 and captured the essence of the renegades running the city, in a recently to be released book 'Raskols: The Gangs of Papua New Guinea.'

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Gotta admire the Chinese willing to open a grocery store in a place like that. Or any other place on Earth, I guess. There's probably a couple of them in Raqqa.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

mcustic posted:

Gotta admire the Chinese willing to open a grocery store in a place like that. Or any other place on Earth, I guess. There's probably a couple of them in Raqqa.

If a piece of land has a single tree\coal\rock\fish left on it, you can bet your betting dollars that China will be there, building a sports statium or something, and then scrap the land dry of whatever was left

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

mcustic posted:

someone's gotta price gouge

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Holy poo poo those guns look like something out of Fallout or Mad Max

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

a country run by a potato cool

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

This is playdoh or painted wood idk

OlmanRiver
Mar 30, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

that picture is misleading, it doesn't show off the blasted hellscape that is the center of the island

Notice that there's no loving trees in the middle. The destroyed the island to mine all the phosphate, and now there's not even any loving phosphate left. so the middle of the island is just a barren wasteland of windblown garbage and feral dogs.

This honestly sounds like the making of a great video game.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

OlmanRiver posted:

only if you can play a feral dog

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

PNG just decided to release the detained asylum seekers into those hellish streets, because their supreme court ruled that indefinite detention is inhumane and unconstitutional (unlike the Australian high court which approved it). The report I heard earlier chose to approach this development by focusing on fears that the freed asylum seekers will harass local women.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Moon Atari posted:

The report I heard earlier chose to approach this development by focusing on fears that the freed asylum seekers will harass local women.

Well considering how much it sounds like the locals "harass" women...

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Moon Atari posted:

PNG just decided to release the detained asylum seekers into those hellish streets, because their supreme court ruled that indefinite detention is inhumane and unconstitutional (unlike the Australian high court which approved it). The report I heard earlier chose to approach this development by focusing on fears that the freed asylum seekers will harass local women.

imagine being less humane than a bunch of people who probably still practice cannibalism lmao

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

OlmanRiver posted:

Just Cause 2 is literally that game

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

nockturne posted:

Coober Pedy runs a close second. Although living underground like that is kinda cool (har har).

Hey Lascivious Sloth, if it's not going to result in a visit from ASIO would you happen to have any photos of the detention centres? Or stories from people caught there?

Hey is it really 1971 in Coober Pedy year round as these photos suggest?

Mad Max makes more and more sense every time I lean something new about Australia. I can't loving imagine living in a town that I knew was 1,000 miles away from anything in every direction, or having to live in old mines because I would die on the surface.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

Mad Max makes more and more sense every time I lean something new about Australia. I can't loving imagine living in a town that I knew was 1,000 miles away from anything in every direction, or having to live in old mines because I would die on the surface.

I've also gathered that the basic psychological makeup of almost every Mad Max character not Max (cruel and ready to murder everyone deemed Outsider) seems pretty consistent with everything I learn about the Aussies on the news these days.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

OlmanRiver posted:

It would have to be a sequel to this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_from_Woomera

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Nauruan medical system update:

http://twitter.com/ResignInShame/status/730759903480938496

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

sweet loving christ

for us Americans: Panadol is another brand name for acetaminophen (Tylenol). They gave this lady a c-section and the only thing they gave her to dull the pain of slicing open her abdomen and pulling a baby out was loving Tylenol

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

This is the most depressing thread outside E/N :smithicide:

e: at least Nauruan is a palindrome :unsmith:

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Whilst

Seems real and quite depressing, I looked at the rest of his twitter and he is a mentalist. Batty is a great loving name for him.

spud fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 12, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Agreed on the guy being a crazy, but the timeframe lines up with the story of S-99, the woman that was raped on her way to Nauru (while having a loving seizure) and was denied an abortion among a bunch of other hosed up things to happen to her (PTSD, attempted suicide, etc.), so it seems like it could be legit.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Not sure if I believe it, given that Australia is permitting a brown person to enter their country.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Maybe these stories are over blown and fanfic of nerds?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

doctorfrog posted:

Not sure if I believe it, given that Australia is permitting a brown person to enter their country.

Our doctors are pretty great though and usually put up a fight to stop people being inevitably sent back to the concentration camps. :unsmith:

Darth123123 posted:

Maybe these stories are over blown and fanfic of nerds?

Yeah nah.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-22/baby-asha-transferred-to-community-detention-peter-dutton/7188252

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
q=/=e

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Our doctors are pretty great though and usually put up a fight to stop people being inevitably sent back to the concentration camps. :unsmith:

Yeah nah.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-22/baby-asha-transferred-to-community-detention-peter-dutton/7188252

Is this the baby who was born on Nauru and is essentially a stateless person because lol stop the boats?

Tried to sneak into the country in her mother's womb. If we're not tough on that sort of thing it just encourages them.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Why do people do this?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

nockturne posted:

Is this the baby who was born on Nauru and is essentially a stateless person because lol stop the boats?

Tried to sneak into the country in her mother's womb. If we're not tough on that sort of thing it just encourages them.

Bae has a passport? Nope.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Darth123123 posted:

Why do people do this?

So I'm not quoting myself one post below? I guess a fullstop would work just as well.

nockturne posted:

Yeah that's the one. Also won't be allowed to go to New Zealand, because New Zealand citizens get full immigration rights to Australia and she'd be able to get to Australia 'through the backdoor.' Can't have all the asylum seekers lining up to be raped and have a baby in Australia and be offered asylum by New Zealand now can we? We'd end up with hordes of them!

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 13, 2016

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
How does mormonism, a "religion"founded on white supremacism and american exceptionalism and sexual slavery sell in the pacific? Or anywhere that isn't full of the white hicks?
I'm guessing massive ignorance and lies.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I wonder how bad Leonardo: The Musical was. It certainly appealed to Nauru enough to waste all their money on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Considering the delightful conditions on Nauru and Manus, I'm surprised that more people didn't take up the opportunity to be re-settled in Cambodia.

• Locked thread