Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

WebDO posted:

The joke being it's apparently so bad even :pgi: doesn't use it

It's a bad one. Turns out pretty much everyone uses a private VOIP client when playing with friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
For when we go clans next week, metamechs has a recently-updated clan CW dropship ladder page

http://metamechs.com/mwo-guides/community-warfare/clan-dropship-ladder/

Can probably replace the Dire Wolf with Papa Bear when it comes out

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
also Kodiak scale pics are up

https://t.co/IMwG0CYVId

those shield arms look like some of the best in the game

and according to Russ, supply caches will no longer be physical objects on the map

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/228512-supply-cache-clarification/

"The original entry in this Road Map for the upcoming Supply Cache feature met with some understandable resistance from the community. While Supply Caches are a feature we do plan on introducing with the July patch, their implementation will not take the form originally described in this Road Map, specifically in regards to their physical placement on the map and the Cache capture mechanic.

The physical placement and capture mechanic was an aspect of the feature that was not set in stone and was considered experimental with a high level of risk that it would not test out well enough for release, but the original road map text unfortunately was quite a bit more definitive than it should have been.
Beyond that, the feedback we've received regarding that specific aspect of the feature was exactly in line with our own thoughts and that aspect of the feature should have never been included in the road map; we will not be moving forward with the physical placement/capture mechanic for Supply Caches, as it was originally described.
The only circumstance under which we may re-approach the physical placement idea at a later date is if we arrive at something we feel will actually lead to a fun and well-received mechanic that won't have a negative impact on game play.

So for the July patch, one Supply Cache will be randomly awarded to one player from the winning Team. It is likely that your eligibility for this random selection will require some minimum degree of participation in the match, but what that participation metric may be is yet to be determined.

The remaining elements of the Supply Cache system are still intact. Once received, Supply Caches are added to the winning player's Inventory; a new tab will be added to the Inventory screen which will contain the Supply Caches the player has earned.

Each Supply Cache can be inspected before opening to see what is contained within. Players will then have the ability to purchase a Supply Cache Key using MC to unlock the Supply Cache. Once a Supply Cache has been unlocked, a random selection of the Supply Cache contents will be awarded to the player; the rest of the items are destroyed. Alternatively, unopened Supply Caches can instead be sold off for C-Bills.

Details regarding the cost of a Supply Cache Key and the kinds of items you can expect to be available from the Caches are still to be determined. We’ll provide more details as we approach July. This is a tried and tested game mechanic that is a value add for those that enjoy it but has no impact on game play and can be ignored by players that do not see it’s value.

Thanks for playing. "

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Random drops make sense. Good to see they backed off having it tie into actual gameplay other than not sucking

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Kodiak looks like it's gonna have a mile wide fuckin hitbox.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

So does the regular dad but it all depends on its structure

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Oh Snapple! posted:

It's a bad one. Turns out pretty much everyone uses a private VOIP client when playing with friends.

Organized units tend to use private servers for most multiplayer games anyways but we included the option for players who would like to use it.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Pattonesque posted:

For when we go clans next week, metamechs has a recently-updated clan CW dropship ladder page

http://metamechs.com/mwo-guides/community-warfare/clan-dropship-ladder/

Can probably replace the Dire Wolf with Papa Bear when it comes out

A sad day without Crows.

Edit: Kodiak arms look pretty shieldy

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
The best part of that supply cache thing is that you can look in it first before you open it. Which means if you don't like what it is, you can sell it for c-bills but if you really want it you can drop MC (which will hopefully not be an arm and a leg, but it's still :pgi: we're talking about)

Got my 3rd MLX this morning. Have it loaded with 2x SRM4 and 3x SPLas. Probably the most fun I had with it so far. All the meta builds for it are boring af

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 12, 2016

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Stringbean posted:

The best part of that supply cache thing is that you can look in it first before you open it. Which means if you don't like what it is, you can sell it for c-bills but if you really want it you can drop MC (which will hopefully not be an arm and a leg, but it's still :pgi: we're talking about)

Except it's still random what you actually get out of it.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Super 3 posted:

Except it's still random what you actually get out of it.

Still lets you decide whether the risk is worth it.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Stringbean posted:

Still lets you decide whether the risk is worth it throw money away.

Fixed.

Likely the keys will be 100-150 MC each. I would hope that they'd make it 50-75 to put it more into "impulse buy" territory, but I'm not holding my breath.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

So does the regular dad but it all depends on its structure

Exactly. People keep saying the speed will be a big mitigator for the Kodiak, but you're not taking into account that it doesn't matter that you can go 90 kph. You're still the biggest loving target on the field.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
weirdly enough the Spirit Bear will probably play more like a Gargoyle than an Atlas

a good Gargoyle, I mean. not a push-leader, but a get-in, wreck-face, get-out type of robot

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

This has probably already been posted in the Battletech thread, but those names are too good to not share with absolutely everyone.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I know they're knockoffs and stolen from the mwo models but goddamn I'm tempted to get one of those king crabs.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Im playing my mechs meta, but it feels boring... its not my build, so even if it performs godly, its still someone elses work.
I usually look for concepts rather than exact specs.
Something out of the meta, that can still compete, thats what im looking for.
Something like dual-PPCs on a timber if they made any sense. Which they dont.

Clans are way harder to tweak in this way due to having lots of built-in stuff. While any clan mech can pretty much do anything they usually get there the same way: tweaking their omnipods and weapon loadout. IS are a lot more customize able since you can mess with engine sizes.
Clan assaults are a strange bird. They're fire support mainly what with having bad hitboxes and being really slow. Every other weight class the Clans have some pretty standout stuff so I'd start there.

Timber's are decent all around but they're laser boats more than anything else. Try the Ebon Jag for PPC/Gauss layouts.

Or try and be insane like Commoners and make your PPC Timber work through sheer moxie. Teamwork is OP after all.

Skoll posted:

Exactly. People keep saying the speed will be a big mitigator for the Kodiak, but you're not taking into account that it doesn't matter that you can go 90 kph. You're still the biggest loving target on the field.

But not 'shoot anywhere on the body and core it really fast big' like the Warhawk and Dire. It actually has seperate torsos.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
They look like 3D printed MWO models... but that Marauder and the RAC urbanmech (to an extent) don't look like anything I've seen in game. Where did those sculpts come from?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Big Manta is the best thing I ever saw

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Oh Snapple! posted:

Big Manta is the best thing I ever saw

And not "Caligula," or "Sudden Eagle?" What about "Arrow Shower Guns?"

I think I need to name my mechs after these things. It's amazing.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

They're good but they just don't have the magic that is Big Manta

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

I actually really like my WHKs for some weird reason (probably why I also like urbies, adders, and cicadas) but hadn't played my 4xCERPPC one in a long time. The one I usually roll with is a 2xUAC10 build which is really fun, even if the loadout seems anemic for an assault. I might try switching my Prime to LPLs but it sounds like it's almost just as well sticking with PPCs, and there's something way fun about being able to shoot four of those bastards at once.

I just know that the 4xCERPPC build isn't really listed anywhere, so I wasn't sure if I was being a superbad by running it or just a regularbad. I'm okay with the latter.

I guess I should have mentioned it but I didn't because you specifically asked about the PPC/LPL thing, but the UACs builds are probably the best reason to run a Warhawk. If you're using both ballistic arms you get 10% cooldown, which isn't great on its own, and a -30% UAC jam chance which is, as far as I am concerned, the best quirk any clan mech gets. Someone ran the numbers on how much that actually increases your DPS, and while I can't Rain Man them for you, trust me when I say it is very very significant. It turns the 2 UAC10 build (I run mine with SRMs, good players run them with LPLs) and UAC20 builds into threats that have to be dealt with immediately. I mean, you're still fragile as gently caress in the Warhawk, but both UAC20 brawlers and UAC10 skirmisher Warhawks will reliably break 1000 damage if the enemy just chooses not to deal with you in a timely fashion, all because you can keep making GBS threads shells all over them. Granted, you're spraying the damage everywhere, especially if you pair it with SRMs like I do, but 1000 damage in a single mech is still very good even if you are getting it from bullet bukkake.

I wondered how long it would take someone to mention how great the name "Sudden Eagle" is. I am not disappointed.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I love how there's the Tundra and the Tundra 2. really, guys? There's low effort and then there's...that.

Edit: Also, I'm totes calling my atlas TITANUS from here on out.

Try to avoid the arrow showers, everyone!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

TheParadigm posted:

I love how there's the Tundra and the Tundra 2. really, guys? There's low effort and then there's...that.

My Sudden Eagle will totes destroy your puny arrow shower!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

TheParadigm posted:

I shoot Arrow Showers with my Frankenstein Gun for breakfast.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Yes, hi. I'd like to order one "Frankenstein Missile" and a "Hardened Beast". Thanks.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Which of you is this?

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/228564-new-mwo-review/

props to crabcakes_mcoy

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

that video is loving awful, jesus

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Forums Terrorist posted:

that video is loving awful, jesus

I really hate this thing he does where a direct visual representation (in pop culture meme form) appears to punctuate his every word. It's dumb. Also he shits on the art style, the one objectively good part of the game.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

got a laugh out of him acting like people didn't pixel snipe in MW3/4

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
So i just need 10 more invasion wins that arent ghost drops for a free asault mech... i dont think ill make it.

I have some days left on my mercenary contract,
what happens if i disband my unit?
Does my contract get canceled so i can sign up with IS?

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 13, 2016

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
You've got until Tuesday, if you poopsock you'll be fine.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Still, can i disband to switch factions or will the contract stay even if the unit is disbanded?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Still, can i disband to switch factions or will the contract stay even if the unit is disbanded?

Contract will stay even if you disband the unit. Contracts are applied to individual players not the unit itself.

That review was so god drat annoying. Even if it had made any new valid points, it was washed away in the most annoying way possible. Isn't there already another game review guy who talks fast and reference pop culture poo poo too? Or is the same dude? I don't recall being annoyed that much by the other one.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Stringbean posted:

You've got until Tuesday, if you poopsock you'll be fine.

I've had the best luck late night pub dropping, actually. Lazy Que until a match comes together, and usually no coordination on either side.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Sitting at 5 wins out of 23 games, sanity goes towards negative values...

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Kodiak quirks

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Definitely don't be a dad with this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Is the engine situation similar to the IICs? Or are they built in XL400s?

• Locked thread