Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

As for "if there's a better weapon in Majula, why hide it?" it's because Dark Souls is a game about exploration, looking in every nook and cranny and off every ledge, finding little pockets of hidden items and stuff is meant to reward you for doing that exploration.

Plus the broken straight sword is a decent weapon, and serves it's purpose pretty well (that shortsword only has 20 more damage and its swings consume like half again more stamina), while also serving another purpose super well (its miniscule stat requirements mean that literally any starting class can power stance them and see what's up with power-stancing).

Except the part where literally none of the other weapons in the series, including Demon's Souls and Bloodborne, fail to either start you with a decent weapon or give you one within ten minutes of beginning the game. Sorry, the poo poo starting weapon situation is kinda lovely design here, here not some intrinsic nature of the series, chief. But Dark Souls 2 in general seems to just revel in being tediously "hey isn't this game difficult!" (have a trophy for dying your first time haha) instead of actually being challenging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Nohman posted:

Except the part where literally none of the other weapons in the series, including Demon's Souls and Bloodborne, fail to either start you with a decent weapon or give you one within ten minutes of beginning the game. Sorry, the poo poo starting weapon situation is kinda lovely design here, here not some intrinsic nature of the series, chief. But Dark Souls 2 in general seems to just revel in being tediously "hey isn't this game difficult!" (have a trophy for dying your first time haha) instead of actually being challenging.

It's worth noting that most of the classes start with a perfectly good starting weapon. Hell, the Cleric's starting weapon is fantastic throughout the whole game (once you get the Strength to one-hand it, that was admittedly an odd choice). The Knight starts with a broadsword, which is perfectly fine. The Swordsman starts with two decent weapons, both of which already upgraded to +1. It's really just the Warrior and the Deprived who get screwed.

I can't believe I'm defending DS2, I'm usually the one criticizing it, but the starting weapon situation is pretty much fine. I don't really know why Warrior gets screwed, to be fair, but every other class either starts with a serviceable weapon, or you know what you're getting yourself into already (Deprived).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Or you pick Deprived because you're new to the game and there's no way they'd just make the game harder for you like that. Obviously, you must get something really cool if you pick it!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's definitely a weird choice to start the Warrior without a "real" weapon, but I'm kinda of the opinion that all bets are off with Deprived. It's definitely a harder start in DS2 than in any of the other games, though (and in Bloodborne, the equivalent, Waste of Skin, is barely a disadvantage because you still get the same starting equipment everyone else does and you're just a few levels behind).

It's also interesting that we probably wouldn't be having this discussion if Geop had picked Knight or Swordsman or something. Warrior is just a really weird starting class, no question there.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Nohman posted:

the poo poo starting weapon situation is kinda lovely design here
In what way?
I mean, look at the last video. Geop had no trouble killing these basic, starting enemies. They went down in 4-5 hits. The Broken Straight Sword will serve you just fine until you grab the shortsword and/or get access to the merchants where you can pick up other weapons.

Harrow posted:

It's also interesting that we probably wouldn't be having this discussion if Geop had picked Knight or Swordsman or something. Warrior is just a really weird starting class, no question there.
I think the Warrior is meant to be a trade of sorts. "You want a shield? Okay, here's one. In exchange you will get to do less damage.'
And people would probably have been bitching regardless of what starting class Geop picked. Dark Souls 2 isn't exactly popular and people will find something to complain about.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 12, 2016

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Warrior starts with enough str and dex to use pretty much every early weapon 2H at the very least, or like 1-2 points of dex off for some. It also starts with a very decent shield compared to the crimson parma, the only thing available to other classes. They probably thought the broken straight sword was a balancing factor for that and, to be fair, it's kind of whatever--all geop had to do was fight through easy hollows to get a shortsword and there was another weapon to find as well. One of the best early weapons, actually, and warrior is the only class that can 1H it out of the gate. But even beyond that using a shortsword to fight to the next bonfire is easy and buying the key opens up access to other weapons the Warrior is uniquely capable of using 1H at starting level.

DS2 haters remain the DS2 of haters.

Decus fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 12, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Raygereio posted:

I think the Warrior is meant to be a trade of sorts. "You want a shield? Okay, here's one. In exchange you will get to do less damage.'
And people would probably have been bitching regardless of what starting class Geop picked. Dark Souls 2 isn't exactly popular and people will find something to complain about.

I just meant this specific discussion.

I, too, have plenty of DS2 criticisms, it's a game that I don't really like all that much all told, but eh, at this point I kinda have to figure nobody cares what I think of DS2 so I'm just along for the ride.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Your brand new shortsword was almost halfway broken by the time you got to that bonfire. :catstare: The thread wasn't kidding.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Yeah, most people think they give you 3 slots for each hand because you're expected to cycle through multiple weapons between bonfires. But that kind of screws you over too because you have to dump a bunch more points into the weight limit stat (Vitality?) to be trucking around with 2 swords, a shield, a charm/staff for magic and whatever armor.

Harrow posted:

It's worth noting that most of the classes start with a perfectly good starting weapon. Hell, the Cleric's starting weapon is fantastic throughout the whole game (once you get the Strength to one-hand it, that was admittedly an odd choice). The Knight starts with a broadsword, which is perfectly fine. The Swordsman starts with two decent weapons, both of which already upgraded to +1. It's really just the Warrior and the Deprived who get screwed.

It's your punishment for picking a class that starts with a shield you loving casual :gitgud:

Though I guess it basically does work in FROM's intention of nudging people away from the 'all shield all the time' gameplay of DS1. I never finished the game, but I got pretty far in vanilla DS2 and I ended up power stancing a couple of blacksteel katanas. You don't need to shield from dead enemies :getin:

fake edit: haha I didn't even know we had a gitgud smiley, nice.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 12, 2016

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I sincerely hope that Goonther realizes his true martial arts destiny involving dual caestus sooner or later.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Aithon posted:

Your brand new shortsword was almost halfway broken by the time you got to that bonfire. :catstare: The thread wasn't kidding.

(Look at me, already going back on my "nobody cares what I think about DS2" post)

The durability system is way hosed.

I think the intention is that you're supposed to use multiple weapons. I think that's actually pretty cool, in a vacuum. But then you add in the necessity of keeping those weapons upgraded and it all sort of feels tedious. Weapons degrade comically quickly. Eventually you can buy Repair Powder (or get the Repair spell) and it's not as big of a deal, but eh :shrug:

It'd be kind of interesting to play a game like this where durability and expensive repairs push you into a sort of "use what you find" mentality, but that isn't DS2. Nioh seems like it's sort of trying that out but it didn't quite nail the balance on it, especially with how quickly your armor can degrade if you die multiple times to a boss.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Mazed posted:

I sincerely hope that Goonther realizes his true martial arts destiny involving dual caestus sooner or later.

And also that you can dual wield your own fists :darksouls:

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Warning; side-effects include disintegrated ocular tissue.
I am absolutely not a fan of this game. Like, at all. But I did love your older Dark Souls LP, so I'll be following a long a bunch.

By the way, did the team ever fix that drat frame-dependant weapon damage thing? Like seriously, you can hit a dead body and most weapons end up losing a huge chunk of their durability.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MGlBlaze posted:

I am absolutely not a fan of this game. Like, at all. But I did love your older Dark Souls LP, so I'll be following a long a bunch.

By the way, did the team ever fix that drat frame-dependant weapon damage thing? Like seriously, you can hit a dead body and most weapons end up losing a huge chunk of their durability.

Yeah, they fixed it. Weapon durability is still really low for my tastes, but they fixed the bug part.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Okay, only piece of backseat gaming I'll probably do for a long time: Geop make sure to have a bow with a hundred or so arrows. The arrows are, IIRC, 10 souls a pop and it could make many encounters much, much easier by allowing you to selectively draw aggro. And cheese some things badly, but only some.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, you definitely want some kind of ranged option in this game, for pulling aggro if not for actually killing stuff.

e: VVV
In the area behind the Tower of Flame I ground enemies for like an hour until one of their bows dropped for my magic character. It..... probably wasn't worth it. I'm not very far into SotFS yet, but so far I haven't noticed too many enemies being AI-linked like that. Although I mostly snipe other snipers or faraway dudes so it probably doesn't come up as much.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 12, 2016

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Ashsaber posted:

Okay, only piece of backseat gaming I'll probably do for a long time: Geop make sure to have a bow with a hundred or so arrows. The arrows are, IIRC, 10 souls a pop and it could make many encounters much, much easier by allowing you to selectively draw aggro. And cheese some things badly, but only some.

Does this actually help? I'm not sure if it was changed, but when I played Dark Souls 2 I very distinctly remember that unlike any other Souls game, the game had linked aggro on a very big majority of enemies. Shooting an arrow at one guy would draw over any nearby linked enemies as well. Kinda forced you into multi-enemy engagements what felt like all the time.

Even so, some kind of ranged option is advisable for damage and whittling things down at range. Going melee-only makes a number of bosses very, very painful.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Harrow posted:

I have one message I left on launch day in Bloodborne that still gets rated multiple times per play session to this day. It's some dumb joke about elderly in Central Yharnam. That character's on NG+2 now and I still get regular healing out of that one stupid message, it's hilarious.

My highest rated messages are always ones pointing out visual bugs in the game.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

MGlBlaze posted:

Does this actually help? I'm not sure if it was changed, but when I played Dark Souls 2 I very distinctly remember that unlike any other Souls game, the game had linked aggro on a very big majority of enemies. Shooting an arrow at one guy would draw over any nearby linked enemies as well. Kinda forced you into multi-enemy engagements what felt like all the time.

You remember wrong. DS2 doesn't and never did do this. DS3 does.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I swear I remember it being one of the many reasons I didn't enjoy Dark Souls 2. I'll try playing through it again at some point to confirm or deny my memory if I can stomach it again ever.

DS3 may do it, but I haven't gotten very far in it yet. All I can say that I haven't noticed linked aggro on anything so far.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 12, 2016

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Oh dear... it has begun...

:getin:

I picked up the DS2 CE and only ever played through it once. While it was a decent souls game, I didn't like quite a few of the things they changed about DS1.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Aithon posted:

nah it really isn't that bad, I did the when-bugged PC version with a dual wielding dex class that had a move set of flailing around and hitting everything. Never had durability problems.

It's more some ominous threat of resource management then something that, uh, actually comes up.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Mighty Dicktron posted:

There are some linked enemies but I don't know how prevalent it was.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Garrand posted:

There are some linked enemies but I don't know how prevalent it was.

I've been playing through SotFS, and I've hardly encountered linked enemies.

MGlBlaze
May 19, 2011

IronSaber posted:

I've been playing through SotFS, and I've hardly encountered linked enemies.

Hmm. I wonder if Scholar of the First Sin fixed that bullshit. I played through the original release.

Not sure exactly how much SOTFS would actually fix, but maybe that's worth checking out. That said I am watching through the videos right now, and it looks like SOTFS still really likes to throw large numbers of enemies that would all be individually threatening at you with a good deal of regularity. Which is kinda bullshit.

MGlBlaze fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 12, 2016

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Don't forget repair powder for durability problems - useful to have some in your inventory, for once. Although I think I used it maybe twice in my whole playthrough, durability always looks much more significant than it is if you're hitting most of the bonfires.

Speaking of which: You don't need to sit at a bonfire to set it as a checkpoint any more, just lighting it is enough.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mighty Dicktron posted:

DS3 doesn't do it either. Enemies will only "link" if they see or hear you pulling the other one.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Phantasium posted:

My highest rated messages are always ones pointing out visual bugs in the game.

Mine are usually the terrible jokes.

e: that and encouraging rolling when there's lots of poo poo to break

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Koobes posted:

Fun fact with firebombs in this game, you can actually play baseball with them. Doesn't do any damage back to the enemy, but a neat little Easter egg.

Good god that firebomb looks lovely from beginning to end.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Aithon posted:

Geop is also R1 spamming a lot, and almost always hits the enemies 1-2 times after they're already dead, which eats durability.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Fister Roboto posted:

DS3 doesn't do it either. Enemies will only "link" if they see or hear you pulling the other one.
It's not common that I've noticed but there are very definitely some special encounters that won't let you only aggro one enemy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

I have one message I left on launch day in Bloodborne that still gets rated multiple times per play session to this day. It's some dumb joke about elderly in Central Yharnam. That character's on NG+2 now and I still get regular healing out of that one stupid message, it's hilarious.

"Praise the sun!" the moment light hit out of Things Betwixt into Majula carried me surprisingly far.

quote:

I, too, have plenty of DS2 criticisms, it's a game that I don't really like all that much all told, but eh, at this point I kinda have to figure nobody cares what I think of DS2 so I'm just along for the ride.

We have apparently exactly opposite views on DS2 and Bloodborne and I'd love to hear it more in detail, though maybe somewhere else or in PMs so we don't spoil anything in the thread. Though going back through DS2 after DS3 is honestly really hard. :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 13, 2016

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

This probably comes up in a later video since Geop hasn't really messed with the bloodstains and this thread is pretty much The Complaint/Apology thread, I got to explain whats going up with them.

The reason there are so many bloodstains is that the DX11/PS4/XBOX One versions, you're able to view up to 3 or 4 bloodstains deaths at once if you stand in the middle of the pool. It's kind of neat looking.

Also Vicas, you said you didn't play much of the beginning of the Scholar of the First Sin stuff but so you aren't familer with the new item placements but that's impossible. The only thing the Scholar of the First Sin patch changed were some added NPCs and item description changes. Only the DirectX11/PS4/XBOX One had the rearranged item placements and you could not transfer your save file between PC versions.

Things aren't adding up here at all

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Sinners Sandwich posted:

This probably comes up in a later video since Geop hasn't really messed with the bloodstains and this thread is pretty much The Complaint/Apology thread, I got to explain whats going up with them.

The reason there are so many bloodstains is that the DX11/PS4/XBOX One versions, you're able to view up to 3 or 4 bloodstains deaths at once if you stand in the middle of the pool. It's kind of neat looking.

Also Vicas, you said you didn't play much of the beginning of the Scholar of the First Sin stuff but so you aren't familer with the new item placements but that's impossible. The only thing the Scholar of the First Sin patch changed were some added NPCs and item description changes. Only the DirectX11/PS4/XBOX One had the rearranged item placements and you could not transfer your save file between PC versions.

Remember one of them lies and one of them tells the truth. They never said if the truthful one and the liar were constant between videos.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Anime Reference posted:

It's not common that I've noticed but there are very definitely some special encounters that won't let you only aggro one enemy.

Yeah I pull aggro with my bow all day long, outside of a few scripted brawls most of the enemies seem pretty independent AI-wise. Got great use out of it in Heide's Tower after you beat the first boss.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I was going to say that sometimes people just forget things, but let's be honest here, this is the superior answer:

havenwaters posted:

Remember one of them lies and one of them tells the truth. They never said if the truthful one and the liar were constant between videos.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
In the end though, the biggest hindrance a Warrior Start and one(Two?) other class has for a blind DS2 player has nothing to do with their equipment.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 13, 2016

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Sinners Sandwich posted:

i had to google what on earth this was talking about and i still dont get the different editions of dark souls 2

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Original:
Dark sous 2: Base version at launch
Turned into:
Dark souls 2 Sotfs patch: Story changes, some item translations

Different Game you had to buy/rebuy:
Dark souls 2 Sotfs (PS4, Xbone version and PC 2nd release): Story changes, item translations and remixing (different enemy and Item placements)

Edit: Also Caestus are cool and good

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Suspicious Dish posted:

i had to google what on earth this was talking about and i still dont get the different editions of dark souls 2

PS3/X360/PC got changes except item and enemy placements. PS4/X1/Scholar PC get everything and item/enemy placements. Then there were some multiplayer changes I really couldn't care less about.

• Locked thread