Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
lol just searched "toilet clown" on kickstarter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1017860499/potty-glo

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

i refuse to believe those are photos of real people

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

they can't be real, they aren't calling themselves the CEO, CTO, CIO, CFO

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

well, I dunno about lightweight, but you could get a consistent 500 watts to power your water bottle from a roughly backpack-sized radioisotope generator. maybe I'll kick start that

I think you're right! With a spherical-vacuum-cow RTG (0 mass housing, perfect energy reclamation, etc), let's see how much you'd need of each kind of fuel in common use:

Americium-241 is produced as nuclear waste, and therefore pretty cheap (it's in smoke detectors) but its power density is 2.2W/kg so I think you'd need a trolley or something to carry the 220kg of radioactive material.

Plutonium-238 is pretty good on power density, but you'd need about a kg of it (0.54W/g), which is just a little less than peak Soviet annual production of the stuff.

Polonium-210 has the best power density: 120W/g, so you'd only need like 4g of it. And it's an alpha emitter so you can totally survive being close to it. Its half-life is 138 days, though, but that's a solid benefit for a kickstarter because you can sell little Keurig-style polonium cartridges. I'd invest!

Strontium-90 is available in high quantity and low price because it's a waste product of nuclear reactors. It's a beta emitter, so you don't want it very near you, but it's not the *most* dangerous kind of radioactivity. It puts out 0.4 W/g, and 500W / 0.4 W/g = 1.2 kg, which is easily carryable. Its half-life is 28 years, so you'll definitely be dead of radiation poisoning by the time you'd have to buy a new one. Another solid candidate!

If we start using real-world efficiencies, maximum RTG efficiency ever is around 10%, so we have to multiply all those requirements by 10, 90% of which will be waste heat. Maybe you can use it to generate steam and spin a turbine or something.

In summary, your ideas are better than most kickstarters and I'd pay a few hundred bucks to back an Irradiatr.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
thats not the stymie i know

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
don't quote good posts stymie

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

SolTerrasa posted:

I think you're right! With a spherical-vacuum-cow RTG (0 mass housing, perfect energy reclamation, etc), let's see how much you'd need of each kind of fuel in common use:

Americium-241 is produced as nuclear waste, and therefore pretty cheap (it's in smoke detectors) but its power density is 2.2W/kg so I think you'd need a trolley or something to carry the 220kg of radioactive material.

Plutonium-238 is pretty good on power density, but you'd need about a kg of it (0.54W/g), which is just a little less than peak Soviet annual production of the stuff.

Polonium-210 has the best power density: 120W/g, so you'd only need like 4g of it. And it's an alpha emitter so you can totally survive being close to it. Its half-life is 138 days, though, but that's a solid benefit for a kickstarter because you can sell little Keurig-style polonium cartridges. I'd invest!

Strontium-90 is available in high quantity and low price because it's a waste product of nuclear reactors. It's a beta emitter, so you don't want it very near you, but it's not the *most* dangerous kind of radioactivity. It puts out 0.4 W/g, and 500W / 0.4 W/g = 1.2 kg, which is easily carryable. Its half-life is 28 years, so you'll definitely be dead of radiation poisoning by the time you'd have to buy a new one. Another solid candidate!

If we start using real-world efficiencies, maximum RTG efficiency ever is around 10%, so we have to multiply all those requirements by 10, 90% of which will be waste heat. Maybe you can use it to generate steam and spin a turbine or something.

In summary, your ideas are better than most kickstarters and I'd pay a few hundred bucks to back an Irradiatr.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
tim schafer and some other people started a crowdfunding company that promises equity and whoooooooooops it's not going too great http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/11/11657448/fig-consortium-psychonauts-2-equity-crowdfunding-sec-delay-update

i almost want to feel sorry for him but like, by now he should know better

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Al! posted:

totally an acceptable spelling and also gently caress the welsh

sheep spotted :xd:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

anthonypants posted:

tim schafer and some other people started a crowdfunding company that promises equity and whoooooooooops it's not going too great http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/11/11657448/fig-consortium-psychonauts-2-equity-crowdfunding-sec-delay-update

i almost want to feel sorry for him but like, by now he should know better

i like the idea of fig and went through the investor accreditation and all that. the issue is, all of the projects they've proposed have looked lame. the pc port of rock band 4? please.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I knew fig was going to fail horribly the second I found out what the actual roi they were offering to investors was (hint, less than putting the money into a savings account)

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Al! posted:

I knew fig was going to fail horribly the second I found out what the actual roi they were offering to investors was (hint, less than putting the money into a savings account)

how is that even possible

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

negative roi is a thing

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Al! posted:

uh, if they were really offering guaranteed high yields from a site where you're investing in video games that are very likely to not sell super good, they'd just plain be lying

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

actually on the fig website they're promising returns of up to 300%!!!!*********

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

thats pretty low compared to bitcoins

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

SynthOrange posted:

thats pretty low compared to bitcoins

id totally get into bitcoins if my giftcard scams werent going so well

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

it's so loving irresponsible to tell people they don't need to bring water with them if they have that thing, jfc

well the map does list that the device pretty much only works in all the super humid places:

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

MrMoo posted:

well the map does list that the device pretty much only works in all the super humid places:

I think the device will work equally well everywhere

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Al! posted:

yeah I'm not sure what you're talking about. you can't make promises when soliciting for investments or the sec is all over you. they would show a schedule of gross earnings to royalties, and some data so that you could create your own sales estimates. my personal analyses always ended up with sales about or below breakeven.

you also know from the get go that the terms they give external investors are way worse than the rates on the equity they keep for themselves which is a bit galling.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SolTerrasa posted:

I think the device will work equally well everywhere

wait you're not stymie

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

I mean those circles are "places with historical water shortages"

I know Business School Graduates all believe they're the first ones to have every single idea that passes through their weirdly shaped heads, but come on, think about it for half a second, surely if it was going to solve a real problem that kills people and you can do it with off the shelf parts, someone else, like a professional aid worker or something, would have done it already.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Gus Hobbleton posted:

wait you're not stymie

Ah poo poo I knew I'd seen this av somewhere

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

SolTerrasa posted:

Ah poo poo I knew I'd seen this av somewhere

lomarf

/sweeps hair across forehead, shaves moustache down to small rectangle, "Perfect! Everyone loves Charlie Chaplin!"

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lomarf

/sweeps hair across forehead, shaves moustache down to small rectangle, "Perfect! Everyone loves Charlie Chaplin!"

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
and also lol because i had thought "man who did you piss off so much that they bought you stymie's avatar"

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
here solterasa, in case you're looking for a new one

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

SolTerrasa posted:

I know Business School Graduates all believe they're the first ones to have every single idea that passes through their weirdly shaped heads, but come on, think about it for half a second, surely if it was going to solve a real problem that kills people and you can do it with off the shelf parts, someone else, like a professional aid worker or something, would have done it already.

you say this like you think they're being entirely honest

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Trig Discipline posted:

here solterasa, in case you're looking for a new one

"shut up cga dogtits" has the same number of syllables

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/datagatekeeper/datagatekeeper-the-first-impenetrable-anti-hacking
what

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lomarf

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lomarf

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Ian McLean posted:

rly guys? We just launched. The content will come. Our objective right now is just to make something simple people will want to use for creating reports.

Thanks for the content suggestions.

What reason would I have for using your site, when I can get everything I need through Quandl and plot it through bespoke graphics packages in R?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i'm the 16-bit icon set in this gif

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

AES, the 256kb encryption technology

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Dren posted:

AES, the 256kb encryption technology

packed with well-known government backdoors, such as

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
Even if we pretend the self filling bottle worked, it seems like a really convenient way for a lot of people to get Legionnaire's disease. Am I wrong about that? Because it seems like a water condenser you drink off of without continual cleaning is an easy way to get yourself sick. Not that a product which suggests "No need to plan trip around water usage" needs help murdering people.

Holy crap their videos too. This whole kickstarter is solid gold. "SSL is a Myth"

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

SolTerrasa posted:

this particular idea, done at the proper scale, 3 years ago, by people in a circled region: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35yeVwigQcc

but access to potable drinking water is a huge issue worldwide, current solutions involve daily 10 mile hikes with jerry cans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there's zero new technology in that water bottle. as noted you can prototype it with the guts of a dehumidifier. the problem is always cost and power, neither of which this kickstarter even attempts to address

• Locked thread