Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

PassTheRemote posted:

Was hoping it would be called Mad Max: Cursed Earth, that way we can get that Dredd sequel I want.
It would be kind of interesting to get a glimpse of what's outside of Australia. Like, maybe a hyper-advanced Chinese dropship lands and a bunch of techno-goons with laserguns spill out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

david_a posted:

It would be kind of interesting to get a glimpse of what's outside of Australia. Like, maybe a hyper-advanced Chinese dropship lands and a bunch of techno-goons with laserguns spill out.

A hyper-advanced 747 emergency-lands in the desert. The passengers' iPhones can't get signal and they groan in unison.

"loving Australia," they say. "This is the last time I fly loving Qantas."

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

david_a posted:

That's a poo poo idea.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gargamel Gibson posted:

That's a poo poo idea.

:agreed:

Especially since, you know, the only thing that implies they're in Australia, and not anywhere is the accent, and the side of the car that the steering wheel is on (although I noticed it switched for Fury Road)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Gargamel Gibson posted:

That's a poo poo idea.
no its the best. Max, Tank Girl, and Dredd team up to fight psychic androids on the moon. After their getaway spaceship is vaporized, they have to escape from Luna... with the help of Snake Plissken.

Iron Crowned posted:

Especially since, you know, the only thing that implies they're in Australia, and not anywhere is the accent, and the side of the car that the steering wheel is on (although I noticed it switched for Fury Road)
I think it's extremely established at this point in the public consciousness that these movies are set in Australia. I asked about the steering wheel of the war rig earlier in the thread and apparently a lot of industrial vehicles in Australia (like stuff used in mining) have left-hand steering wheels.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Yeah no that sounds terrible

Even jokingly

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Iron Crowned posted:

And the brief appearance of the Sydney Opera House at the end of Beyond Thunderdome, of course.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

That's a poo poo idea.

I agree but here's a fun mental exercise: what if George Miller himself told you that's what he wanted to do? After fury road I think I'd be down for anything he wants to try.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MMAgCh posted:

And the brief appearance of the Sydney Opera House at the end of Beyond Thunderdome, of course.

And the boomerang the Feral Kid throws.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Why cookie Rocket posted:

what if George Miller himself told you that's what he wanted to do? After fury road I think I'd be down for anything he wants to try.

What if James Cameron told you he wanted to do a movie about blue aliens? After Titanic I think you'd give him just about all the money he wanted and expect a good film.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

M_Gargantua posted:

What if James Cameron told you he wanted to do a movie about blue aliens? After Titanic I think you'd give him just about all the money he wanted

And that'd be the right decision because Avatar made, like, three billion dollars.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

M_Gargantua posted:

What if James Cameron told you he wanted to do a movie about blue aliens? After Titanic I think you'd give him just about all the money he wanted and expect a good film.

I would have said "James Cameron, director of Aliens, The Terminator, and The Abyss, wants to direct another big-budget sci-fi blockbuster? Sign me the gently caress up"

Seriously, was the blue aliens thing really that much of a problem for you? Right away the blue alien thing was a red flag for you?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The blue alien thing wasn't an issue because it was blue. Just because it turned out to be a poor movie to me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

M_Gargantua posted:

The blue alien thing wasn't an issue because it was blue. Just because it turned out to be a poor movie to me.

So because one time James Cameron made a bad movie, that means Miller will?

Its just hard to parse the point you're trying to make, you seem to be saying that you can hear an idea beforehand and decide whether its going to end up being a good movie or not. You compared one idea that you think its stupid to the idea of a movie about blue aliens.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
My dumb jokes were just re-iterating points made earlier in the thread about not knowing the state of the rest of the world. From the first two movies it's clear that the desert areas decayed into anarchy before the cities, so I don't think it's a stretch that they would recover later too (assuming all the cities weren't nuked).

It might be too much of hokey twist to show that the rest of the world has recovered nicely (or never degenerated in the first place) while Australia is off doing their own thing, but maybe Miller could do something interesting with it.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Expanded universes are invariably poo poo., just stay in Australia.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Basebf555 posted:

So because one time James Cameron made a bad movie, that means Miller will?

Its just hard to parse the point you're trying to make, you seem to be saying that you can hear an idea beforehand and decide whether its going to end up being a good movie or not. You compared one idea that you think its stupid to the idea of a movie about blue aliens.

My point is that as much as I love Miller and Fury Road there is no guarantee that giving him carte blanche will result in a good movie. Hence the avatar reference. Sure Fury Road 2 might make $800M but there is every posibility that us fans of Fury Road will be incredibly disappointed. Maybe the reason will be corporate meddling, or weird director vision, bad marketing, or just us getting our expectations too high.

James Cameron and Avatar. George Lucas and the prequels. Etc. Throwing money at a famous director is profitable. But just because they have done good movies doesn't guarantee they'll keep making good movies.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Boy I wish I had never asked that very silly hypothetical question.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm still confused as to exactly how producing Avatar was a mistake from the studio's perspective.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

M_Gargantua posted:

My point is that as much as I love Miller and Fury Road there is no guarantee that giving him carte blanche will result in a good movie. Hence the avatar reference. Sure Fury Road 2 might make $800M but there is every posibility that us fans of Fury Road will be incredibly disappointed. Maybe the reason will be corporate meddling, or weird director vision, bad marketing, or just us getting our expectations too high.

James Cameron and Avatar. George Lucas and the prequels. Etc. Throwing money at a famous director is profitable. But just because they have done good movies doesn't guarantee they'll keep making good movies.

Sure, maybe Fury Road 2 would be a disappointment, regardless of how much creative control Miller has. So that's your point? I'm not sure why you felt the need to make that point.

If George Miller thought an idea was good but forums poster M_Gargantua thought it was dumb, my money would be on Miller.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

M_Gargantua posted:

My point is that as much as I love Miller and Fury Road there is no guarantee that giving him carte blanche will result in a good movie. Hence the avatar reference.

James Cameron, when left to his own devices, has always made horrible bloated messes. The director's cut of Aliens is stunningly mediocre, whereas Ray Lovejoy's theatrical cut is an absolute masterpiece of pacing.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MrL_JaKiri posted:

James Cameron, when left to his own devices, has always made horrible bloated messes. The director's cut of Aliens is stunningly mediocre, whereas Ray Lovejoy's theatrical cut is an absolute masterpiece of pacing.
On which of his movies would you say he was "left to his own devices?"

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

david_a posted:

On which of his movies would you say he was "left to his own devices?"

I don't entirely agree but the guy gave you an example right there

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
James Cameron is one of the most notorious dictators in movie history. He's been "left to his own devices" probably as much as any director you can name outside of Kubrick, and in that time he produced like five of the best scifi/action movies of all-time. Even if we go with the premise that Avatar and the Aliens Directors Cut are bad, Cameron was left to his own devices and made Terminator, T2, The Abyss, and True Lies.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

James Cameron is one of the most notorious dictators in movie history. He's been "left to his own devices" probably as much as any director you can name outside of Kubrick, and in that time he produced like five of the best scifi/action movies of all-time. Even if we go with the premise that Avatar and the Aliens Directors Cut are bad, Cameron was left to his own devices and made Terminator, T2, The Abyss, and True Lies.
I was trying to understand where MrL_JaKiri was drawing the line with that statement. Editing? He does not have an editing credit on T1, T2, or The Abyss, for example. The ones he does have credits may be argued as the bloated ones - True Lies, Titanic, Avatar (and Strange Days, which he didn't direct but does seem way too long for what it was).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

I was trying to understand where MrL_JaKiri was drawing the line with that statement. Editing? He does not have an editing credit on T1, T2, or The Abyss, for example. The ones he does have credits may be argued as the bloated ones - True Lies, Titanic, Avatar (and Strange Days, which he didn't direct but does seem way too long for what it was).

I think editing is something any director of Cameron's status and personality would always be heavily involved in. I'm not sure the credit really matters one way or the other.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

moths posted:

I'm still confused as to exactly how producing Avatar was a mistake from the studio's perspective.

Publicly and loudly proclaiming how much Avatar sucked every time it's brought up in conversation is the best way to show off how unique and refined your media tastes are nowadays.

See also, Prometheus.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
george miller can't make a bad movie, fyi

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Publicly and loudly proclaiming how much Avatar sucked every time it's brought up in conversation is the best way to show off how unique and refined your media tastes are nowadays.

See also, Prometheus.

"If I was in a room with Avatar, Prometheus, and Toby, and I had gun with two bullets, I would shoot Toby twice" - Michael Scott
- snak

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

What about Terminator? Or is that a "broken clock twice a day" thing in your opinion?

Also, hi Jakiri, long time no see.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

M_Gargantua posted:

My point is that as much as I love Miller and Fury Road there is no guarantee that giving him carte blanche will result in a good movie. Hence the avatar reference.

The following would be better examples (and Avatar is a good one):

the Star Wars prequels
The Matrix sequels
Spike TV Ren and Stimpy

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Damnit I was reading carte blanche as Cate Blanchett and got excited there for a bit.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

VideoTapir posted:

Spike TV Ren and Stimpy

drat man trigger warning that poo poo

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Boy I wish I had never asked that very silly hypothetical question.

it was a good effort, it just needed a little tweaking to be gold: Max goes to space

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I think once it got rolling Fury Road was given carte blanche. It had a reported production budget of at least 150 million I think.

What would be difficult to replicate is the 10 years or so of pre-production of Fury Road.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

david_a posted:

no its the best. Max, Tank Girl, and Dredd team up to fight psychic androids on the moon. After their getaway spaceship is vaporized, they have to escape from Luna... with the help of Snake Plissken.

I think it's extremely established at this point in the public consciousness that these movies are set in Australia. I asked about the steering wheel of the war rig earlier in the thread and apparently a lot of industrial vehicles in Australia (like stuff used in mining) have left-hand steering wheels.

From memory the war rig is a Czech truck hence the left-hand drive. I think Immortan Joe's car is too, because it's a Cadillac, and maybe the People Eater's rig? But Max's car and Nux's car are both right-hand drive. (And Max's car is of course the All-Aussie Ford Falcon). It's crazy how this movie is so well-shot I can remember which side the steering wheel is on most of these vehicles, just because of pivotal scenes.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I always thought Ridley Scott was a great director until I read this in the Wikipedia article for Alien:

Alien originally was to conclude with the destruction of the Nostromo while Ripley escapes in the shuttle Narcissus. However, Ridley Scott conceived of a "fourth act" to the film in which the Alien appears on the shuttle and Ripley is forced to confront it. He pitched the idea to 20th Century Fox and negotiated an increase in the budget to film the scene over several extra days.[26][54] Scott had wanted the Alien to bite off Ripley's head and then make the final log entry in her voice, but the producers vetoed this idea as they believed that the Alien had to die at the end of the film.[54]

Just, again:

Scott had wanted the Alien to bite off Ripley's head and then make the final log entry in her voice

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

freebooter posted:

I always thought Ridley Scott was a great director until I read this in the Wikipedia article for Alien:

Alien originally was to conclude with the destruction of the Nostromo while Ripley escapes in the shuttle Narcissus. However, Ridley Scott conceived of a "fourth act" to the film in which the Alien appears on the shuttle and Ripley is forced to confront it. He pitched the idea to 20th Century Fox and negotiated an increase in the budget to film the scene over several extra days.[26][54] Scott had wanted the Alien to bite off Ripley's head and then make the final log entry in her voice, but the producers vetoed this idea as they believed that the Alien had to die at the end of the film.[54]

Just, again:

Scott had wanted the Alien to bite off Ripley's head and then make the final log entry in her voice
What you're describing is not direction, though :)

The making of Alien is also far messier than what that snippet implies. There was no one person with a unified vision of the final movie - it was a struggle between multiple people that miraculously ended up with the best possible outcome. I don't remember how serious that idea from Scott was, but it wasn't the worst idea thrown around by far. At one point the producers were talking about Genghis loving Kahn fighting the alien! Which, by the way, wasn't actually an alien in some of the drafts, because the derelict ship was a human research vessel.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

david_a posted:

The making of Alien is also far messier than what that snippet implies. There was no one person with a unified vision of the final movie - it was a struggle between multiple people that miraculously ended up with the best possible outcome. I don't remember how serious that idea from Scott was, but it wasn't the worst idea thrown around by far. At one point the producers were talking about Genghis loving Kahn fighting the alien! Which, by the way, wasn't actually an alien in some of the drafts, because the derelict ship was a human research vessel.

Whenever I hear things like this, it's absolutely fascinating to me how many iconic movies started out batshit and somehow became good.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Paragon8 posted:

I think once it got rolling Fury Road was given carte blanche. It had a reported production budget of at least 150 million I think.

What would be difficult to replicate is the 10 years or so of pre-production of Fury Road.

That 10 years is probably the pivotal point for Fury Road being so good. If it was made on time in the early 2000s, it would have had none of the actors it ended up with and inferior technology to make it with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

david_a posted:

I dunno, if done well that would be bleak as poo poo, which is fitting for Alien.

• Locked thread