Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
So the Hollywood Reporter are saying that Lupita Nyong'o is in negotiations to star in Black Panther.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/black-panther-lupita-nyongo-talks-893213

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Ryan Reynolds should play Blue Beetle for that sweet RGB trifecta.

Maybe I'm forgetting something, but what's the red part of that? Are you counting Deadpool?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lomzus posted:

So the Hollywood Reporter are saying that Lupita Nyong'o is in negotiations to star in Black Panther.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/black-panther-lupita-nyongo-talks-893213

Well this is too perfect to not happen.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Civil War has pulled in 2/3rds of what Deadpool has domestically in one week.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

zoux posted:

Well this is too perfect to not happen.

Yeah that makes tremendous sense, I can't see why they'd drop the ball there.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Endless Mike posted:

Maybe I'm forgetting something, but what's the red part of that? Are you counting Deadpool?

Yes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Umberto Gonzales has a new scoop regarding Justice League

quote:

Yesterday, my boy Devin at Birth.Movies.Death dropped the hot scoop that Steppenwolf is going to be the bad guy in the upcoming Justice League: Part One. While that indeed is true, Steppenwolf won’t factor into the story until the second half of the movie. More on that in just a bit.

Devin also had thew following to say about Darkseid.

"Darkseid is a presence in the movie, and fully appears at the end of the film, but don’t expect him to do much."

That is true as well but according to my sources, we see Darkseid in the beginning of the film in a flashback sequence. WARNING! The following might be considered spoilerish. Also the script is being rewritten daily on set and the following is subject to change or can even be deleted.

Around 30,000 years ago, the Amazonians, the Atlanteans, and Man successfully fought off Darkseid here on Earth. He left three motherboxes behind and that folks is what Steppenwolf is after in Justice League: Part One. That is pretty much your plot. You can see Steppenwolf and the three motherboxes in the deleted “Communion” scene from Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

http://heroichollywood.com/darkseid-justice-league-part-one-revealed/

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
That sounds pretty cool, honestly.

...Wait, if he already got the motherboxes back in the Communion scene then why is he still looking for them in Justice League?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

...Wait, if he already got the motherboxes back in the Communion scene then why is he still looking for them in Justice League?

If it is accurate I assume those are just representations and not the actual thing.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

BrianWilly posted:

Also, deleted scenes technically didn't happen.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

That wasn't actually him, it was the weird Kryptonian hologram stuff like in Man of Steel.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh.

lomzus posted:

The article seems pretty sure that she would be a love interest, but wouldn't it make sense for her to be Shuri?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

Oh.
The article seems pretty sure that she would be a love interest, but wouldn't it make sense for her to be Shuri?

It would make sense for her to be whatever part is in the script. Who knows if Shuri is even in the movie?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

X-O posted:

The thing is that reporters have frequently complained about how Marvel screenings and media junkets have always been barebones and cheap compared to other companies as far as perks for the media goes.

From what I've heard that was more of Perlmutter's doing. The man was notoriously cheap. Didn't he literally get Subway to cater events or something?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I would say that introducing Shuri so early, and by extension the brotherhood of the Black Panthers, is probably a mistake in a movie that chiefly should be about defining a little-known character for movie audiences. Splitting time between multiple Black Panthers at once would probably confuse audiences more than anything.

Although on the other hand DC's basically doing exactly that with Green Lantern, but on the other other hand the Green Lantern Corps is an easier concept to comprehend then the weird spiritual elements at play that allow two Black Panthers to exist at the same time. They might be removing all the spiritual elements of Black Panther in favor of "knockoff Green Lanterns" down to rings that give them their powers, though, which if true would suuuuuuuck.

Also I cynically have to wonder if the green lantern corps movie is either DC trying to turn the green lantern into power rangers so they don't get burned so badly on a solo movie tanking the character (although I still think DC way loving overreacted and pretended the earth was salted to such a level that loving AQUAMAN getting a solo before him is just dumb) or a way to half-step having an actually interesting/compelling green lantern while still giving the out in case a bunch of racists freak out over John Stewart getting the ring.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 12, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shuri is also T'Challa's sister.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I mean...Shuri is T'Challa's sister and the princess of the nation so it'd be kinda weird if she wasn't around at all. She's a pretty important character anyway. I think more readers are more aware of her nowadays than they would be of any other Black Panther supporting character. I am, at least.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

I mean...Shuri is T'Challa's sister and the princess of the nation so it'd be kinda weird if she wasn't around at all. She's a pretty important character anyway. I think more readers are more aware of her nowadays than they would be of any other Black Panther supporting character. I am, at least.

That's what she is in the comics. We don't know if she even exists in the movies though. I mean of course it makes sense, but maybe they have a story that doesn't involve her in any way.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

X-O posted:

That's what she is in the comics. We don't know if she even exists in the movies though. I mean of course it makes sense, but maybe they have a story that doesn't involve her in any way.

They've seemed at least fairly reluctant to drop entire characters from existing at all, haven't they? They certainly rework a lot of them, but they seem to keep most characters whose name I'd know with my C-student level of comic knowledge.

Also, Civil War and Avengers 1 both have really noticeable "missing girlfriends". That's kinda always gonna be a problem for expensive supporting actors in a film whose budget is already inflated by a huge ensemble.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There was that line in Civil War that seemed to indicate that Black Panthers had been around for a while and that T'Chaka wore the suit before he died, so it wouldn't be totally out of left field

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Toxxupation posted:

Also, for just IW parts one and two I really hope they bring in everyone from the MCU - all the Defenders, whoever is a hero on that Agents of Shield show I don't watch

Now I want Infinity War Part 1 to end with Thanos dead on the ground near a throne where Mr. Hyde sits and wears the Gauntlet.

I miss Mr. Hyde :(

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gavok posted:

Now I want Infinity War Part 1 to end with Thanos dead on the ground near a throne where Mr. Hyde sits and wears the Gauntlet.

I miss Mr. Hyde :(

Thanos has everyone defeated but Daisy. She's standing up to him, and he goes something like "Farewell, Skye."

Then suddenly "THAT'S NOT HER NAME!" and Mr. Hyde appears to wreck Thanos.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Codependent Poster posted:

Thanos has everyone defeated but Daisy. She's standing up to him, and he goes something like "Farewell, Skye."

Then suddenly "THAT'S NOT HER NAME!" and Mr. Hyde appears to wreck Thanos.

Always include Kyle McLaughlin. Always.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

McLaughlin would make an awesome Mephesto

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Toxxupation posted:

Well, again, if that rumor of "67 named characters" is true I imagine it'll cost a pretty penny just for casting alone. Also, for just IW parts one and two I really hope they bring in everyone from the MCU - all the Defenders, whoever is a hero on that Agents of Shield show I don't watch, a whole host of new heroes to lead into phase four. Everyone. Just to underscore how important and huge of a threat Thanos is, that the movie ends up wrangling dozens of characters from two different mediums to underscore how desperate things are.

I'll be well impressed if that 67 doesn't include Netflix and ABC.

There has to be a list out there numbering how many total characters we've already seen.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Retro Futurist posted:

McLaughlin would make an awesome Mephesto

Nah, Ray Wise as Mephisto.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Everyone else got Deadpool stuff all up in their iTunes movies section, or is it just NZ?

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Toxxupation posted:

Well, this is at least interesting. I do have to wonder if Booster Gold's too deep a cut, especially when thinking about the DCU characters who don't have announced movies, who are currently relevant in pop culture or just popular in general - Supergirl, Power Girl, Martian Manhunter, basically every single one of Batman's sidekicks or colleagues at this point, Green Arrow, or the Teen Titans. On the other hand, this'll probably premiere after 10 other movies, including basically all the really heavy JL hitters (and Cyborg).

It's at least interesting and exciting, in much the same way Suicide Squad inherently is to me. It's DC taking the more obscure parts of their legacy - where a lot of hidden gems are stored - and making movies out of them and that's pretty neat.

Cast Joel McHale and I'm there on opening night.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The best part being those are all movies mentioned in Deadpool.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I kept laughing to myself at work thinking about when Weseal says to Wade "you look like an avocado and another, uglier avocado hosed, and like hate loving..." because I work with a lot of avocados.

Black Panther is basically the "you don't think we think about diversity in movies?" answer from Marvel isn't it? Thing is, it will probably be a big hit, and hopefully open up more avenues for more diverse casts in the Superhero movies.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I kept laughing to myself at work thinking about when Weseal says to Wade "you look like an avocado and another, uglier avocado hosed, and like hate loving..." because I work with a lot of avocados.

Black Panther is basically the "you don't think we think about diversity in movies?" answer from Marvel isn't it? Thing is, it will probably be a big hit, and hopefully open up more avenues for more diverse casts in the Superhero movies.

I can't wait for all the industry thinkpieces on Deadline and Variety.com that are titled poo poo like: "Did Marvel Succeed By Diversifying Their Audience?" and "Black People Have Money?! Who Knew?"

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Toxxupation posted:

Well, this is at least interesting. I do have to wonder if Booster Gold's too deep a cut, especially when thinking about the DCU characters who don't have announced movies, who are currently relevant in pop culture or just popular in general - Supergirl, Power Girl, Martian Manhunter, basically every single one of Batman's sidekicks or colleagues at this point, Green Arrow, or the Teen Titans. On the other hand, this'll probably premiere after 10 other movies, including basically all the really heavy JL hitters (and Cyborg).

It's at least interesting and exciting, in much the same way Suicide Squad inherently is to me. It's DC taking the more obscure parts of their legacy - where a lot of hidden gems are stored - and making movies out of them and that's pretty neat.

I wonder if there is some reverse "Marvel Effect" where if DC starts making movies featuring their more obscure characters and teams, people will start saying "Finally, this will be the DC movie that I have faith in and will get people into the theaters."

Toxxupation posted:

Well, again, if that rumor of "67 named characters" is true I imagine it'll cost a pretty penny just for casting alone.

I read a clarification on this recently, and it was less "There's going to be 67 named characters in this movie" and more "There are 67 characters we can play with because they have been (will be) introduced in the movies already, and are not dead, and MCU has the rights to them." Like there's a cork board in some office somewhere and there are 67 names on that list.

EDIT: Found it

Christopher Marcus, co-writer on IW posted:

That number comes from the fact that that’s everyone who’s already been introduced. If you line up all the characters who are available to use from the prior Marvel movies, it racks up to about 60 something characters, let alone the new ones you could bring in.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 13, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CzarChasm posted:

I wonder if there is some reverse "Marvel Effect" where if DC starts making movies featuring their more obscure characters and teams, people will start saying"Finally, this will be the DC movie that I have faith in and will get people into the theaters."

Mr Miracle here we come!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

twistedmentat posted:

Mr Miracle here we come!

You joke, but the origin story of an young man, learning to survive and escape from Apokalypse and from being the amusement of Darkseid et al, in a cross between Saw and The Great Escape is a movie I'd like to see. I could see 90 minutes of the Justice League episode "Miracles Happen".

I mean, if I trusted DC to not gently caress it up.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

twistedmentat posted:

Mr Miracle here we come!

CzarChasm posted:

You joke, but the origin story of an young man, learning to survive and escape from Apokalypse and from being the amusement of Darkseid et al, in a cross between Saw and The Great Escape is a movie I'd like to see. I could see 90 minutes of the Justice League episode "Miracles Happen".

I mean, if I trusted DC to not gently caress it up.

Stop making me want things that don't exist.

There is honestly so much mileage that Warner could get out of New Gods alone.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CzarChasm posted:

I wonder if there is some reverse "Marvel Effect" where if DC starts making movies featuring their more obscure characters and teams, people will start saying "Finally, this will be the DC movie that I have faith in and will get people into the theaters."

For me at least, they've so completely soiled the brand on the big names (I really do think making The Dark Knight Returns Batman the prime DCCU Batman is really dumb for a variety of different reasons, not the least of which is that it's What Snyder Thinks The Dark Knight Returns Batman Is Batman) that it's kinda all I'm interested in. They blew their load on the villains with having the first two movies consisting of Zod, Doomsday, and Batman and Superman in conflict, so outside of Darkseid they've kinda run through all the really big-scale stories outside of any sort of Crisis storyline, which'll be a loving mess to try and portray in any way that makes any loving sense whatsoever beyond Crisis on Infinite DC TV Earth and DCCU Earth.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

Toxxupation posted:

For me at least, they've so completely soiled the brand on the big names (I really do think making The Dark Knight Returns Batman the prime DCCU Batman is really dumb for a variety of different reasons, not the least of which is that it's What Snyder Thinks The Dark Knight Returns Batman Is Batman) that it's kinda all I'm interested in. They blew their load on the villains with having the first two movies consisting of Zod, Doomsday, and Batman and Superman in conflict, so outside of Darkseid they've kinda run through all the really big-scale stories outside of any sort of Crisis storyline, which'll be a loving mess to try and portray in any way that makes any loving sense whatsoever beyond Crisis on Infinite DC TV Earth and DCCU Earth.

I still hold out hope for a White Martians as villains story based on Morrison's first arc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There are still plenty of large-scale stories they can have. Darkseid isn't the only major villain and there's plenty of room for smaller-scale-but-still-threatening dangers. Civil War was basically the Avengers 3 and consisted of a bunch of superheroes arguing over laws and Baron Zemo.

In terms of big threats you still haven't seen Braniac, Eclipse, Trigon, Amazo, they could dig up dumbasses like ~IMPERIEX-PRIME~ and of course there's the Injustice League

Also if Zach Snyder hangs around I wouldn't be surprised to see Magog or something.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 13, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
BvS's version of Batman is the only part of that movie that hooked me and made me really want to see more. Old, grizzled Batman carrying the weight of years who doesn't whine about morality and a no-kill code is a fresh big screen version of the character that I'm not familiar with and would like to see more of.

He's still Batman so he's still overplayed, but this at least is an interesting and different version of the character who you won't mistake for any of the earlier film versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Also if Zach Snyder hangs around I wouldn't be surprised to see Magog or something.

Oh god I wish someone would come out with a cinematic response to the current DCCU in the same manner that Kingdom Come was a response to grimdark 90s comics. There's no way Snyder could be so self-aware, of course.

• Locked thread