Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

Try being an interesting person.

Too mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

kimbo305 posted:

Imagine if instead of Peak Oil, it was Peak Water. The US Southwest would be fuuuuucked.
The book Water Knife goes into some cool what ifs about that scenario, where the concept of water passing through different territories leads to a ton of weird law and loopholes, including one state bombing another's dam because its water needs outweighed the political consequences. Pretty good near future dystopia, decent action.

Spoiler alert: California wins because it has Lockheed Martin and pretty much every tech company that isn't Microsoft.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

meatpimp posted:

Too mean.

I'm feeling rather saucy today

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Hey guys, Danzig and Only buried the hatchet to sell more Misfits t-shirts or something, isn't that a thing? I don't know how I feel about this thing yet, but it sure is a thing!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kitty litter is expensive I guess.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Adiabatic posted:

Try being an interesting person.

I AM INTERESTING YOU BIG MEANY GOSH

I laughed

Finding a decent looking 55" single sink vanity that needs to sit flush on the floor (while being secured to the wall) is surprisingly difficult. Apparently the home improvement gods have decided this is a custom order thing. Awesome.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

clutchpuck posted:

1998 Ford F-150: where is the CD changer?

I didn't think there was one, but I pressed CD on the dash unit and music started playing. There are like 3-4 CDs in it and I found a disc caddy on the floor but I cannot find the changer unit.

Center console, maybe?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

I'm feeling rather saucy today

I understand.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

Center console, maybe?

Or check behind the seats. Is it an extended cab?

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

clutchpuck posted:

I didn't think there was one, but I pressed CD on the dash unit and music started playing. There are like 3-4 CDs in it and I found a disc caddy on the floor but I cannot find the changer unit.

If it's an extended cab its drivers side, back seat, under the window in the little pocket or under the bench seat.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Both of you, tell me more. My wife and I were this close to going to Puerto Jimenez last year but spent too long hemming and hawing over it and then the prices spiked. Ended up being way cheaper to go to Hawaii, but Costa Rica is still very much on the to-do list.

Puerto Jimenez is in the Osa Peninsula which during the rainy season you need to have a guide because of the Fer de Lance snake and severe flooding creating nice new streams and habitats for crocodiles and bull sharks. Bull sharks love to swim upstream, what would normally be a mild river crossing could potentially turn into a bad timeIt's not a bad place to go, but just look at the season before you make a trip there. It really is the last truly wild area in Costa Rica.

When we go there we typically stay with friends in Desamparado which is a suburb of San Jose. If you're looking for an amazing place to chill, go to Monte Verde. It's one of only 20 cloud forests in the world. It takes about 6-7 hours to get to from San Jose. The thing about CR is that it's a relatively small country that's only about 275 miles or so long and 100 miles wide, but it takes forever to get anywhere. Think of their road network as a wagon wheel. San Jose is the hub and you can get to any of the other places going in a straight line in different directions, but you'll rarely find roads without backtracking that'll take you in a direct way from one place on the outer spoke to another.

If tropical weather is your thing, check out Limon, Cahuita, and/or Puerto Viejo de Talamanca. One of my favorite places is Puerto Viejo, the last time we were there we both got steak, lobster, drinks and a shared appetizer. The total price came out to roughly $30 USD. Limon is a great place to snorkel/scuba. From Puerto Viejo, you can pay for a van to go into Panama for a day trip. If you're prone to vertigo, don't do it. The bridge is full of dry rot and boards on top of other boards that have dry rot. It use to be a railroad bridge.. I can guess why trains no longer use it. Also, Panama is pretty drat funky on the whole compared to CR though I may be biased.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

We were looking at going in March so it wouldn't be too rainy, and the rainforest / wild nature is a lot of what was pushing us to any of a dozen AirBNB homes down there on Osa. Plus, hey, offroading.

I suppose I could just road trip the whole thing in my WJ instead of renting a Jimny or something, but ~60-70 hours of driving with multiple border crossings seems less than fun well-advised.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Tusen Takk posted:

i believe that last time we had this discussion we all agreed that he could be less of a tyrant and we also discussed how if he acted that way at any other company, he would be canned or at least he would speak to HR a lot

so no, i'm not spewing complete stupidity. just because he runs the show doesn't mean he should act like that

and no, i have not had any commits shot down by Linus so i'm not salty either

You were indeed spewing complete stupidity. You are smarter than that and FFS, he's not being a bloody tyrant. How do you not get the concept of - try to commit something that breaks userspace = polite warning, try again = joking warning, third time = "This is why this commit is loving stupid". That's what he does and if you are a normal, well adjusted human being it's a perfectly fine way to behave when you are running the largest and most important coding project on the planet.

Why the gently caress are you even saying poo poo like this if you haven't met the guy or participated in the Kernel mailing list?

I'm gonna gently caress off and ride bikes.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Me too! new freehub body finally came in so I can take out the MTB, and it's group ride night that ends up at a pizza and beer place.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

We were looking at going in March so it wouldn't be too rainy, and the rainforest / wild nature is a lot of what was pushing us to any of a dozen AirBNB homes down there on Osa. Plus, hey, offroading.

I suppose I could just road trip the whole thing in my WJ instead of renting a Jimny or something, but ~60-70 hours of driving with multiple border crossings seems less than fun well-advised.

I wouldn't drive down there, especially since you'd have to go through Mexico and more importantly Nicaragua which is, well.. A poo poo hole in its own rite, also there are nice groups of guerillas depending on where you're treading through usually on the southern border. We've seen them once after mistakingly going over the CR to Nicaragua border and quite frankly I don't ever want to see them again. It was an intense 45 minutes, fortunately on the CR border side, we happened to run into police.
Here's some light reading: http://news.co.cr/guerrilla-uprising-nicaragua-report-costa-rica/36974/

March would be a great time to go, just make sure you have great ground visibility before getting out in a high foliage area. Fer de Lance's loooove to hang out under leaves and they blend in quite well.

Also, I can't stress the private transport enough. For a day expedition or something just going through some bushes, renting a 4x4 would be fine, but a lot of places in CR don't exactly have clear traffic patterns. It's one of those things that unless you were born there and learned to drive there, it's best just to leave it to the locals.
I'll let this article speak for itself: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2015/10/the-10-best-and-worst-countries-for-drivers/

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

So, there was a bit of brief but violent weather here in Texas on Tuesday.
My oak tree, which had even just been trimmed, did not appreciate it:

There were another couple of limbs almost as large on the roof, but this one bit my car:

Also time to get a new cover for the bike, but it was already starting to shred.
poo poo was raining sideways. Best part is I was only parked there to load up my jack and tools to go change a tire for my wife 30 minutes away (she can do it herself normally, but her back has been giving her serious poo poo lately, and it was raining like a motherfucker.) Normally I park on the street of further back.
By the time it eased up enough to get loaded up, the rain had passed where she was and a nice security dude at the college swapped on the apre for here (she already had it out and the jack under the car - like I said, she tried before calling me.)
Fortunately, finding a white right-front Crown Vic fender shouldn't be difficult.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You were indeed spewing complete stupidity. You are smarter than that and FFS, he's not being a bloody tyrant. How do you not get the concept of - try to commit something that breaks userspace = polite warning, try again = joking warning, third time = "This is why this commit is loving stupid". That's what he does and if you are a normal, well adjusted human being it's a perfectly fine way to behave when you are running the largest and most important coding project on the planet.

Why the gently caress are you even saying poo poo like this if you haven't met the guy or participated in the Kernel mailing list?

Because I have a lot of opinions and most of them are bad

I also have an overwhelming desire to share these opinions with others

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

meatpimp posted:

He freaks out like Enourmo posts about school.

man it's good to know i'm still loved

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Spoiler alert: California wins because it has Lockheed Martin and pretty much every tech company that isn't Microsoft.
For another couple years, anyway. They haven't finished driving them out through taxes and C.O.L. yet.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Is it just me or is AI good as gently caress lately? I feel like I should contribute more. Among my friends I'm the AI-esque nut but my projects are pretty tame compared to some of you guys. I have 2 e36s, a P71, and a CB650 in a million pieces so that's gotta be worth something.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Just do it man. I've got a 5 page thread and I haven't done anything yet, so post away!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

User Error posted:

Is it just me or is AI good as gently caress lately? I feel like I should contribute more. Among my friends I'm the AI-esque nut but my projects are pretty tame compared to some of you guys. I have 2 e36s, a P71, and a CB650 in a million pieces so that's gotta be worth something.

Same. I'm about to graduate, though, so once I (hopefully) find gainful employment I'll start making actual progress on my poo poo. But in the mean time: :justpost:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Where's the best place to get a cheap but not total garbage battery? The Datsun needs a Group 24 and I'm mostly finding stuff around $80-85 after core refund, and that's a Valucraft from Autozone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Where's the best place to get a cheap but not total garbage battery? The Datsun needs a Group 24 and I'm mostly finding stuff around $80-85 after core refund, and that's a Valucraft from Autozone.

Used Junkyard battery for now?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Web designer goons: I have some internal websites at my job that I'd like to improve beyond a bunch of tables and links saved in Word. Are there any web based html editors you can suggest? I'd prefer something that I can mostly click and drag stuff around.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I may stab the next fucker to come in here tonight and throw a bitch fit that I won't return their obviously used parts. You stuck the battery in a vehicle with high compression and a high and ran it down while trying to crank it. gently caress you, you installed the shoe and drove on it for a month before saying you didn't want it, and its missing half the hardware kit. gently caress you, you were told there was a freight charge you old bastard, quit being a complete shitheel.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Costco and Walmart seem to have the best prices on batteries these days. And at least with Costco, there's zero bullshit with the inevitable warranty exchange.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Costco and Walmart seem to have the best prices on batteries these days. And at least with Costco, there's zero bullshit with the inevitable warranty exchange.

Costco, that's what I was forgetting! I'll call them in the morning to make sure they have the right size but otherwise it's perfect, the store is right along my route to work.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ilkhan posted:

For another couple years, anyway. They haven't finished driving them out through taxes and C.O.L. yet.

California always wins because rich people don't want to live in lovely low tax states with crap weather and nothing to do. Our jobs are skilled and attract people who don't want to live in Oklahoma, even if they can buy a 100 bedroom house there.
Also Stanford and UC Berkeley in one general location really helps.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm getting really sick of my stupid E46 breaking every 4 months. I'm becoming convinced that it's cursed. I'm starting to look down the road toward other vehicles. The wife and I are planning *ahem* on children sooner than later.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

nm posted:

California always wins because rich people don't want to live in lovely low tax states with crap weather and nothing to do. Our jobs are skilled and attract people who don't want to live in Oklahoma, even if they can buy a 100 bedroom house there.
Also Stanford and UC Berkeley in one general location really helps.
Telecommuting is gonna gut those jobs whenever those people realize that 90k in SFBA is barely middle class versus living like a prince in most of the country. Not all of them, certainly, but a good number of them.

Also since I'm stuck here, remind me not to park in a spot with easy double parking when I have to be somewhere right after a car show ends.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
82km .... just turned around and 1150m vertical so far. Enjoyung a pie and a coke at Cowan before the run back to Sydney

blk
Dec 19, 2009

ilkhan posted:

We're getting plenty of fleeing Californians up here in Oregon and driving our cost of living up insane amounts.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Less distance, similar elevation. The burrito and beer were wonderful afterward. Here's a picture

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

blk posted:

We're getting plenty of fleeing Californians up here in Oregon and driving our cost of living up insane amounts.

Last time I was in Portland it was still pretty cheap. Can you not get studios for under a grand anymore?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Tusen Takk posted:

i believe that last time we had this discussion we all agreed that he could be less of a tyrant and we also discussed how if he acted that way at any other company, he would be canned or at least he would speak to HR a lot

I think you would be surprised. Murthy Renduchintala has a well deserved reputation of actually acting like this (and typically without much warning, unlike Linus) and yet he seems to be making it just fine at Intel. Its not entirely uncommon in a lot of the tech industry.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Tide posted:

Good grief I'm bored
OOOOOOOH!!!! I'm pretty sure I can fix that. Give me a minute to find and upload the picture.

I should have taken more pictures. This is all you get.
So guess what it is.

And while you're at it have a twin turbo coyote '16.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 13, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

clutchpuck posted:

On my stepdad's 2001 extended cab XLT (same body style as the 98), it's in the center console. There's a false floor tray that you have to remove from the bottom of the center console to get to it. If it's not there, it'll be tucked under one of the rear seats if it's the extended cab.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Plus Costco batteries are supposed to be the better end of Johnson Controls batteries, up there with Interstate anyway. And their warranty is one of the best.

Walmart batteries, at least around here, seem to be Exide. So not great, not terrible, but you might have to dig back a bit to get one that hasn't been on the shelf for 6+ months (I found one that had been on the shelf for over 2 years awhile back...)

Raluek posted:

Last time I was in Portland it was still pretty cheap. Can you not get studios for under a grand anymore?

I know in Dallas, you usually wind up paying 1 bedroom price (or very close to it) for a studio. I much prefer a studio layout, but actually finding one in a decent area (read: no daily carjackings area) is difficult. When you do find one, they want something like $3-5/sq ft and they tend to be really tiny. The cheapest one I found was around 300 sq ft for $650, and that was an apartment complex I lived at in the early 00s that was in kind of a crappy area back then - today, the gas stations and fast food places nearby put the cashiers behind bulletproof glass, so I'd say the neighborhood has gone downhill a bit.

The apt I'm moving into next month is 752 sq ft for ~$800 (after you factor in pet rent, water, trash, etc), in a somewhat better area. Not the best area, but I'd feel safe walking outside after dark.

Got any more photos? :allears:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Went and saw Neil DeGrasse Tyson tonight for our tenth anniversary. Holy poo poo that was a hell of a lot of fun. Also pleasantly surprised that a place like Phoenix still turned into a sold out crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Elmnt80 posted:

I may stab the next fucker to come in here tonight and throw a bitch fit that I won't return their obviously used parts. You stuck the battery in a vehicle with high compression and a high and ran it down while trying to crank it. gently caress you, you installed the shoe and drove on it for a month before saying you didn't want it, and its missing half the hardware kit. gently caress you, you were told there was a freight charge you old bastard, quit being a complete shitheel.

I worked in a place and experienced similar things. I also worked in a bike shop for a couple of years and that too was an experience due to lovely customers. One time a guy brought his kid's bike in to have the gears looked at, I told him it'd be a few quid and to leave it with me for a couple of hours as I had other things to attend to. I cleared my backlog of stuff and set to work on the bike and found that the derailleur hanger was bent, the frame being steel meant this wasn't an issue so I broke out the adjustable spanner and gently teased it back into place and checked the gearing. While I was checking the gearing I decided to look over the whole thing and found the rear wheel had no real spoke tension which in my experience would suggest the kid had been jumping the bike a lot. I took the wheel off, put it in the wheel jig and went to work tightening it up and it was slack as gently caress. I sorted it, gave the guy a call and he came to pick the bike up. I charged him for the gear adjust and then said I'd done the rear wheel for free as the kid obviously jumped the bike and bikes are fun so whatever. It was at this point the guy got really loving angry that I'd suggested his kid did anything other than keep both wheels on the ground at all times... This turned into a shouting match that was eventually broken up by the manager.

I did something for free and got shouted at. People are bad.

• Locked thread