Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
It's neat that even after ten years in the loving navy I still am naive enough to trust a career counselor. hosed out of board this year because I was told I'd take a 'special' makeup test because I was getting out and affiliating, and I stupidly went with it. I should have pushed to see an instruction or something but since I was getting out a week after the exam I had my dumbass goggles on.

Thanks for the info Ket, I'll see if my org cares that it's not an actual EE, they just keep screaming ABET so who knows.

Edit: Dusty do you know anything about a 1306 exam waiver on the active side and if there's one on the reserve side?

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

PneumonicBook posted:

Thanks for the info Ket, I'll see if my org cares that it's not an actual EE, they just keep screaming ABET so

Do they care at all about PE licensure? If so, what state are you in?

The reason I ask is that engineering technology degree holders are explicitly banned from becoming licensed engineers in ~19 states. The remaining states require an additional 0-8 years of engineering apprenticeship for engineering technology degree holders prior to being eligible to apply for a license. (On a related note, that extra time requirement stacks on the existing 4 year requirement to make ET holders extremely non-competitive for apprenticeship jobs in those states as it'll be usually 8+ years before they can sign a drawing). Professional Engineering licensure is a state license with a candidate having to meet the requirements for each state regardless of existing licenses. Comity is not guaranteed.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Analogical posted:

More of my sailors are getting told they can't convert to CTN without a "degree in Computer Science". Is anyone else hearing this from that crusted rear end CTNCM? No other disqualifying factors on them, this is the general answer being given out by the community manager to the CTIs I'm working with.

I'm going to call tomorrow and ask him if we have the loving number for OCS on accident. They take seventeen year olds for this poo poo, I shouldn't have to defend sailors that already have work experience.

I just converted an ET2 to CTN (like three weeks ago) and he doesn't have a degree in Computer Science. You're certain these CTI's are in appropriate YG's to convert out? They're all kinda hurting except the Middle Eastern languages.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

PneumonicBook posted:

Edit: Dusty do you know anything about a 1306 exam waiver on the active side and if there's one on the reserve side?

I know that they almost never grant special selection boards on the active duty side. Did you have an immediate affiliation? The SELRES CPO exam was in February, and the deadline for substitute exams was 31 March.

If I were you, I'd go directly to the source and send an e-mail explaining your situation to NPC. Send it to: advancements-reserve@navy.mil

I agree that you're probably hosed, sorry.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yeah never ever actually get a degree from one of those types of bullshit universities. They don't give you a real degree that's worth anything, but it does count as a bachelor degree. That means you lose out on pell grants when you go back to get a real bachelors.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

KetTarma posted:

Do they care at all about PE licensure? If so, what state are you in?

No, this is for a government job. Under requirements it normally lists "To be acceptable, the curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum" or "You have successfully completed a professional engineering degree from an ABET-accredited (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology) college or university", which was why I asked. Based on that as long as it's ABET accredited I imagine it wouldn't matter. I have no dreams of being an actual licensed engineer. For some background and to explain a little more I'm currently a demo employee, under demo there are three classifications, NT, ND, and another one I'm forgetting at the moment, these are similar to GS except they have pay bands that will encompass multiple GS levels. NT's are technicians, that's what I am and I can go fairly high, but if I ever wanted to switch over to ND which are labelled as engineers, I'd need an ABET degree. This is really more curiosity on my part since I'm so close to my Bachelor's anyway, I was just thinking of transferring over so I could keep the ND option open without having to go get another Bachelor's.

DustyNuts posted:

I know that they almost never grant special selection boards on the active duty side. Did you have an immediate affiliation? The SELRES CPO exam was in February, and the deadline for substitute exams was 31 March.

If I were you, I'd go directly to the source and send an e-mail explaining your situation to NPC. Send it to: advancements-reserve@navy.mil

I agree that you're probably hosed, sorry.

I had an immediate affiliation but it was at the very end of March, the PS1 at the NOSC told me I was hosed. When I called the career counselor who evidently hosed me he said the ESO was the one who told him I wasn't able to test in January, which honestly just sounds like he's throwing more names under the bus in an attempt to not get ran over. I'll send the email to NPC, thanks for that. Maybe this is a message from the universe telling me to sever...

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah never ever actually get a degree from one of those types of bullshit universities. They don't give you a real degree that's worth anything, but it does count as a bachelor degree. That means you lose out on pell grants when you go back to get a real bachelors.

I hate going over this everytime I post about it, but again, I'm about to get my bachelor's in any case so I'm never getting another Pell Grant again. I'm specifically wondering about a rubberstamped ABET degree for GS purposes.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

PneumonicBook posted:

"To be acceptable, the curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum" or "You have successfully completed a professional engineering degree from an ABET-accredited (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology) college or university"

this sounds like you need to go back and listen to Ket again

they want you to have an engineering degree, not a technology degree

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

DownByTheWooter posted:

this sounds like you need to go back and listen to Ket again

they want you to have an engineering degree, not a technology degree

Yea that's why I'm asking, I'm not sure what exactly the 'professional' is entailing here. It is a government job after all :airquote:

I should probably just ask HR.

I should add that other people I work with are telling me that they don't care as long as it has ABET next to it, but they don't work in HR I suppose so might be guessing? I don't know, they're way later in their careers so it seems like they should probably know what they're gambling on.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 11, 2016

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

PneumonicBook posted:

Yea that's why I'm asking, I'm not sure what exactly the 'professional' is entailing here. It is a government job after all :airquote:

I should probably just ask HR.

I should add that other people I work with are telling me that they don't care as long as it has ABET next to it, but they don't work in HR I suppose so might be guessing? I don't know, they're way later in their careers so it seems like they should probably know what they're gambling on.

Life in the Navy should've taught you not to trust what anyone else thinks they know. Thats why goons are always asking Dusty Nuts about all that stuff he is smart on.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

vulturesrow posted:

Life in the Navy should've taught you not to trust what anyone else thinks they know. Thats why goons are always asking Dusty Nuts about all that stuff he is smart on.

For real. When I was a baby second and was reenlisting, admin on the boat flatout refused to do any digging regarding transferring benefits, thanks to Dusty I only had to do 10 to transfer them vice the 12 they told me I HAD to do.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I got the wrong BAH for almost 8 years. I noticed the discrepancy when I was doing separation paperwork.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Godholio posted:

I got the wrong BAH for almost 8 years. I noticed the discrepancy when I was doing separation paperwork.

Too little or too much?

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Seqenenra posted:

Too little or too much?

If it was 8 years running, then it had to be too little.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
If Godholio never answers, it was too much.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It was too little, ended up being a check for almost $20k, and it took about six months and three resubmissions of documents like my son's birth certificate, court orders (incl SSNs, etc) because it all kept disappearing/getting lost.

Edit: The backstory is that while at AF OTS I asked the Finance rep who came over to walk us through MGIB, BAH, etc, whether I qualified for dependent or non-dependent BAH because of my non-custodial (but supported) child. She said non-dependent. When I got to my next base and in-processed with Finance, I asked the same question and got the same answer. What are the odds that I'd get the same wrong answer from the experts at two different bases? The odds are apparently EXCELLENT, because I should've been getting the higher rate from day one. One of the separation documents has a line that lays it out pretty explicitly and when I pointed it out to that Finance NCO, she went pale and got her O-3. :lol: Always read before you sign...if I were just pencil-whipping that poo poo I'd have been hosed out of 20k.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 11, 2016

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Godholio posted:

It was too little, ended up being a check for almost $20k, and it took about six months and three resubmissions of documents like my son's birth certificate, court orders (incl SSNs, etc) because it all kept disappearing/getting lost.

Edit: The backstory is that while at AF OTS I asked the Finance rep who came over to walk us through MGIB, BAH, etc, whether I qualified for dependent or non-dependent BAH because of my non-custodial (but supported) child. She said non-dependent. When I got to my next base and in-processed with Finance, I asked the same question and got the same answer. What are the odds that I'd get the same wrong answer from the experts at two different bases? The odds are apparently EXCELLENT, because I should've been getting the higher rate from day one. One of the separation documents has a line that lays it out pretty explicitly and when I pointed it out to that Finance NCO, she went pale and got her O-3. :lol: Always read before you sign...if I were just pencil-whipping that poo poo I'd have been hosed out of 20k.

I have a good conduct medal on my dd-214 despite being masted twice in four years. Admin pukes are just as retarded as the rest of the fleet

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Everyone everywhere is stupid. It's no coincidence I've got a ton of loving AF, Navy, and joint pubs/regs saved, so I can point the "experts" at the black and white that says they're loving wrong.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Godholio posted:

Everyone everywhere is stupid. It's no coincidence I've got a ton of loving AF, Navy, and joint pubs/regs saved, so I can point the "experts" at the black and white that says they're loving wrong.

Look at this sea lawyer!

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

PneumonicBook posted:

No, this is for a government job. Under requirements it normally lists "To be acceptable, the curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum" or "You have successfully completed a professional engineering degree from an ABET-accredited (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology) college or university", which was why I asked. Based on that as long as it's ABET accredited I imagine it wouldn't matter. I have no dreams of being an actual licensed engineer.
I hate going over this everytime I post about it, but again, I'm about to get my bachelor's in any case so I'm never getting another Pell Grant again. I'm specifically wondering about a rubberstamped ABET degree for GS purposes.

TESU/TESC website posted:

The Bachelor of Science in Applied Science and Technology (BSAST) degree in Electrical Technology is designed for electricians and electrical power or machinery workers. The program enables mid-career adults in the electrical industry meet their educational and professional needs while completing a baccalaureate degree. The BSAST degree in Electrical Technology is a 120-credit program.

Is that what you're looking to do? I think it'll get you advancement within a skilled trade.
I would not think it would (nor should) get you a titled engineering position.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

KetTarma posted:

Is that what you're looking to do? I think it'll get you advancement within a skilled trade.
I would not think it would (nor should) get you a titled engineering position.

I'm going to add to the chorus of people suggesting you double check what you're doing here. It sounds like you're too focused on "abet" and not focused enough on the distinction between an EE degree and an EET degree. They are very different things.

If you want your job title to say "engineer," you should get an EE degree and not a EET degree. If you are at all in doubt about this, go and see a counselor at your school or at really any school nearby.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Yea I'm going to go through the HR channels to see if it qualifies. I'm well aware that an EE is very much a different beast than an EET or other variant of 'engineering' degree.

I don't personally care about having engineer as a job title, the government and Dod contractors play fast and loose with the term as it is...I've already held a senior systems engineer title with a dod contractor which is loving laughable and if I ever have to put it on my resume I'll (have to) call it something else.

I think maybe I'm not explaining everything correctly. I'm not trying to become an actual no poo poo engineer who has to sign off on drawings and do actual engineering work.

Edit: Someone talk about sweeping water or some terrible navy poo poo.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 12, 2016

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I just killed dozens of cockroaches and restacked 10 year old computers from pile A to pile B and back again for two weeks.

I actually enjoyed killing the roaches.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm sure some race in Stellaris will consider you a war criminal for that. Fun game, y'all should play it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

There was some weird tunnel under the building that just kept on going down and down. At the end was a set of locked double doors and layer of roaches and one poor little gecko I released outside.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Nick Soapdish posted:

I'm sure some race in Stellaris will consider you a war criminal for that. Fun game, y'all should play it.

Some of the factions in Fallout 4 will make you their leader for that.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

LingcodKilla posted:

I just killed dozens of cockroaches and restacked 10 year old computers from pile A to pile B and back again for two weeks.

What exactly is the reserves and how much were you paid for your extermination services?

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Kawasaki Nun posted:

What exactly is the reserves and how much were you paid for your extermination services?

A free month long work-assisted vacation to Hawaii.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Base pay + modified BAH + per diem.

You can make bank on per diem if you know how to cook and don't drink it all away. I did my first three or four ATs in high per diem locations with IDTT on the back end. The NOSC never saw me, and all I had to say to the haters was "you don't make per diem at the drill hall."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Base pay + modified BAH + per diem.

You can make bank on per diem if you know how to cook and don't drink it all away. I did my first three or four ATs in high per diem locations with IDTT on the back end. The NOSC never saw me, and all I had to say to the haters was "you don't make per diem at the drill hall."

How the gently caress did you ever get IDTT funding?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I just found out I'm getting like $70 plus a day for food since makalapa doesn't have a galley.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
:confused:

Is there like a navmag Makalapa out in Waianae or something? If you're on base at Pearl Harbor, there are two galleys and the Silver Dolphin Bistro in the basement of the horseshoe barracks was tits (as of ~2005). Scoop up that cash, but if you're on base anyway drop the $4.25 or whatever and see if the Silver Dolphin is still good.

OH poo poo, go to the bowling alley on the sub side and get a fried rice omelette for breakfast DO IT DO IT NOW

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Maybe for breakfast tomorrow. I'm flying out at noonish.

I just ate peanut butter sandwiches for breakfast and lunch then whatever grabbed my fancy for dinner.

I'll be back. Apparently IT is in high demand (they need YNs too) with proper clearances. Already got an invite back but I'll be in C school at the time.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LingcodKilla posted:

I just found out I'm getting like $70 plus a day for food since makalapa doesn't have a galley.

the only thing i miss about hawaii other than the hot & cold running pussy is the food

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Maybe for breakfast tomorrow. I'm flying out at noonish.

Go. Now. Do not miss the fried rice omelet. Literally the saving grace of that base.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Null Integer posted:

Go. Now. Do not miss the fried rice omelet. Literally the saving grace of that base.

dude if you thought asking for mahu was embarassing think twice about this one

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

hogmartin posted:

OH poo poo, go to the bowling alley on the sub side and get a fried rice omelette for breakfast DO IT DO IT NOW

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

You jerks finally told the truth.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Is that...ketchup..?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
That looks loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
UNF

Those things are so stupidly good for something that sounds like a joke when you hear it for the first time.

• Locked thread