Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

CzarChasm posted:

Because he knew enough to know that Barbara was Batgirl, Batgirl is no longer around, but Batman is being helped by a young woman. Also, Oracle/Barbara lives in that clock tower, it's not just her base of operations. It probably isn't too hard to figure out where someone lives, especially in comic book land.

Besides, Batman might put up a ton of encryption and technobabble protection on his communications, but I'm sure a former Robin could tap in and figure it out. Especially when Batman's actually using names when he calls someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Time to add another name to the list of "well I sure as hell didn't expect this guy"

A Cult. Why Not?/Polsy

New bio: Deacon Blackfire, Deathstroke

New story: Masquerade

John Liver
May 4, 2009

I still prefer calling him Slade, and not Deathstroke. Deathstroke just sounds so 80s-90s-dark-n-gritty. And I'm ... still kind of a sucker for Teen Titans.

Ron Perlman, you goddamn dreamboat

Scribe13
Jan 30, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, Deathstroke. Time for a loving sick fight, right?

"Don't get your hopes up."

...oh. Oh no.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
No time for a full breakdown atm, but I will mention there's a big easter egg in the clocktower section you went into, near the computer you used: a chat client is open showing that the Birds of Prey are actually a thing in the Arkhamverse, and are helping deal with crime targeting the Gotham evacuees.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I wouldn't say Deathstroke in Origins was an interesting fight, but man is it a pretty one. :allears: It also feels kinda baller when you no-hit it, or even chump him so hard he never has time to use the remote claw.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
God, I'm so glad the PC port of this game is garbage; I'd have probably bought it otherwise. I can't believe it makes you do all the Militia bullshit to fight a storyline boss.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

fool_of_sound posted:

God, I'm so glad the PC port of this game is garbage; I'd have probably bought it otherwise. I can't believe it makes you do all the Militia bullshit to fight a storyline boss.

"storyline boss?"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I don't have much to say about Deacon Blackfire. His story arc in the comics sounds more interesting than what they did with him here. :shrug:

I do wonder if Starfire's sister would take issue with this guy having the same name as her, though.

fool_of_sound posted:

You have to complete a good portion of the sidequests just to get the ending.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
"Deacon" Joseph Blackfire is a charismatic religious conman who, depending on which continuity and who is writing him, may or may not be over 100 years old by finding the secret of immortality through the use of human blood baths. His actual danger is never in whether or not his mysticism is actually genuine more than the violence he can instigate people to carryout either through sheer religious fervor or horrible brainwashing techniques. He was introduced in the 1988 miniseries Batman: The Cult and in this, The Deacon amassed an underground army of homeless people, runaways, junkies or people Blackfire otherwise "found" and took into his flock. This sewer army's goal is the elimination of crime and corruption through excessive force and obviously Batman does not like the idea of people gunning down anyone.

One night he tracks a set of bloody footprints to a sewer-grate left in a way that suggests they don't care who spots it. Unfortunately, during another routine Gotham Crime, Batman is actually shot. Bleeding on the ground, he slowly drifts off as he watches the man who managed to snag the Bat get stabbed in the back by shadowy figures. When Batman awakes he finds himself hung in chains and over possibly several weeks, is only fed enough food and water to survive with said food being laced with psychoactive drugs. He's also given a steady flow of religious propaganda as The Deacon attempts to convert Batman to his cause.

In his weakened state Batman agrees, kept compliant by keeping him on drugs and goes on a few underworlder raids possibly killing someone with an Uzi as their army brutalizes any possible "sinner" on the street.

Eventually an Underworlder named Ratface gets Bruce to come with him on an unordered attack on a civilian. Batman knocks out a cop that catches them, Ratface stabs and probably kills the cop too along with the civie and Batman wanders off to scare people in the park out of their pick-a-nic basket to eat their food. (Sorry, I wish had this image.) After finally eating something non drugged and resting outside of the sheltered bubble of Blackfire's sewers, Batman breaks his conditioning and begins to remember the horrible poo poo he was involved in. I guess still not firing on all cylinders, he goes back to confront Blackfire on his own. Of course, he fucks up, gets captured again, but manages to escape when he sees an opening. Robin (Jason Todd, this is like a few months before Death in the Family) has waited for the right opportunity to bust Batman out and eventually they manage to escape Underworld. But not before watching Blackfire drain blood from the bodies of his army's victims and apparently bathing in it once every lunar cycle to keep himself forever young.

Blackfire takes over a television station to announce that he'll be taking over Gotham City and taking out the local government. A state of emergency is swiftly called as the National Guard finally comes into Gotham while people are told to evacuate. Politicians are being assassinated, an attempt on Gordon's life is made and Batman feels like a total failure by the end of book three. I think it even ends on a stinger with Bruce telling Alfred that once they leave Gotham they won't be coming back. Its Blackfire's city now!

Of course after a little more recuperation, Batman comes to the understanding that he never became Batman to avenge his parents, 'but to deal with the fear". He and Robin go back and fight the army of crazy armed hobos until Batman finally gets to fight the ripped Deacon Blackfire one-on-one. Blackfire is surprisingly ripped for a Conman and gives Batman a run for his money. But Blackfire's plan is for him to die and become a Martyr for his cause. Batman ain't having none of that and after humiliating him in front of his followers, Batman actually lets them tear Blackfire to pieces and beat him to death by an angry mob. Its a very colorful book for something so dark.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

"storyline boss?"

He has shown up in the main storyline, as a replacement head of the army that has served as antagonist for most of the game.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

He has shown up in the main storyline, as a replacement head of the army that has served as antagonist for most of the game.

He showed up because scruffy was completing side objectives.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, as far as the narrative is concerned, Scarecrow is leading the Arkham Knight's men while Deathstroke is just kinda sitting around waiting for Batman to finish sidequests before doing anything.

Crane just can't win with these military types, huh?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I do wonder if Starfire's sister would take issue with this guy having the same name as her, though.

Yeah, his name comes up in one of the earlier radio logs from Jack and I got confused for a bit.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, as far as the narrative is concerned, Scarecrow is leading the Arkham Knight's men while Deathstroke is just kinda sitting around waiting for Batman to finish sidequests before doing anything.

:psyduck:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I particularly enjoy that Scarecrow comes across as way more effective of an army leader than the Knight. The militia may still not be all that effective, but they're deployed in much more responsive ways from now on. I do think Deathstroke is also acting as a leader for them, though.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Man, it just makes me laugh so hard that someone actually wrote a religious extremist blaming liberals for all the worlds troubles.
I bet he's got a couple of horrible left wing villains that blame the conservatives too, now that I think on it with that whole red scare thing that happened.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah, Deathstroke is supposedly acting as the leader now, but you only find that out after you clear out your first militia checkpoint/tower/building/etc after The Jason Todd reveal. That's why some don't spawn until after that point.

If you don't do them before you finish the game Deathstroke doesn't go out of his way to talk to you.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I really like the disapproving way Batman growls 'Slade'. If there was one element worth bringing back from Origins, it was Slade WIlson - I like the bit at the end of that game where he's just chilling in his cell doing push-ups while the riot goes on, because no-one is paying him anymore, so he can't be bothered to take part.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

FoolyCharged posted:

Man, it just makes me laugh so hard that someone actually wrote a religious extremist blaming liberals for all the worlds troubles.
I bet he's got a couple of horrible left wing villains that blame the conservatives too, now that I think on it with that whole red scare thing that happened.

You mean Anatoli Knyazev or KGBeast? A cyborg KGB assassin working for a secret cell of that intelligence agency known as THE HAMMER? Whose initial introduction in March of 1988, a story line called "10 Nights of the Beast", had him go around and spoil relations with the US because Hammer's President is pissed that the then USSR was trying make peace with the United States? And even when the comics killed him off a few decades ago, people were parading his use in Batman v Superman as the "SEE, THEY UNDERSTAND COMICS" pointless intro?

Or his protege NKVDeamon, who went through three interations and they were all somehow lamer than their already Deathstroke rip-off teacher?

Oh and let's not forget the one the Arkhamverse has already used, our old friend Anarky. Written at the time by I think former Anarchist Alan Grant, he created a 12 year old vigilante to push some of his political and philosophical ideas into comic books. What this translated into was white golden child from the 89s/90s that got into college around age 11 looks into politics and then wants to dress up like a mixture of Carmen Santiago and V from V for Vendetta to try and reshape society by making homeless people fight for him. His stories often had him getting in and out of Juvie to put on his neck extenders and golden mask to hide how young he was. Somehow.

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie
I had no idea you could jump the Batmobile into that one checkpoint; I took it out using the disruptor, which was actually pretty satisfying.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I didn't know NKVDemon was a thing.

That's stupid.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Skrewtape posted:

I had no idea you could jump the Batmobile into that one checkpoint; I took it out using the disruptor, which was actually pretty satisfying.

Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure I heard the sound of bones cracking and someone else's death throes when he jumped into that checkpoint. Like, no joke.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

One thing I like about comics Slade is that he tends to have a code of honor, twisted as it is, doesn't really go out of his way to kill if he isn't being paid for it, and absolutely hates killing innocents.

So it says something that Injustice Universe Deathstroke aligns himself against Superman on principle.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Not gonna lie, I think if it was Deadpool instead, opinions about this game might be different.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I didn't know NKVDemon was a thing.

I don't know if it helps or not but he actually gave Bats one hell of rumble, Bruce relied extensively on (Russian) police backup to make it through that one. IIRC his first incarnation was actually put down by police when he was cornered - the officers didn't want the situation to get politically dicey since NVKDemon very nearly killed Gorbachev over some cold war bullshit. A very 80s Batman reaction to that was something like "...OK, the way you conduct justice in your own country is up to you."

The story was nice because on the side you got to see some of Wayne's business acumen. During the visit, staged as a strictly business venture, Bruce picked the worst areas for development/Wayne Tech factory placement in the hopes that the stimulus would clean up the neighborhood and he otherwise hemorrhaged money to local benefits (after first playing hardball).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The Casualty posted:

Not gonna lie, I think if it was Deadpool instead, opinions about this game might be different.

If only because he'd start directly interacting with the UI in some way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqk_8Um2SGs

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad

Solid Blood is a pretty rad band name though.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

My brain is weird. We had Oracle's return and Deathstroke (hopes dashed :() in the last video, but I'm fixed on a small detail: were those cops taking a selfie with the new Batmobile?
Can't blame them, though, I totally would have done the same and I hate selfies.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kurieg posted:

One thing I like about comics Slade is that he tends to have a code of honor, twisted as it is, doesn't really go out of his way to kill if he isn't being paid for it, and absolutely hates killing innocents.

So it says something that Injustice Universe Deathstroke aligns himself against Superman on principle.

I mean, isn't the guy basically just a professional killer who puts a lot of emphasis on the professional part?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Yeah. It's bad for business if people say that you're unreliable, so he's reliable and professional to a fault.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Night10194 posted:

I mean, isn't the guy basically just a professional killer who puts a lot of emphasis on the professional part?

Yeah, but that's why I like him as Evil Batman #3 out of 49. He's hyper competent, he's controlled, and his insanity doesn't get in the way of him doing his job. He doesn't really have gimmicks for Batman to avoid or weaknesses for him to hit: it's just two very smart, skilled, and strong guys trying to outdo each other.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah, but that's why I like him as Evil Batman #3 out of 49. He's hyper competent, he's controlled, and his insanity doesn't get in the way of him doing his job. He doesn't really have gimmicks for Batman to avoid or weaknesses for him to hit: it's just two very smart, skilled, and strong guys trying to outdo each other.

His outfit is pretty silly but I can certainly see the appeal of a guy who is just a murderous ex-special forces dude as a straightman among the rogue's gallery.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Omobono posted:

My brain is weird. We had Oracle's return and Deathstroke (hopes dashed :() in the last video, but I'm fixed on a small detail: were those cops taking a selfie with the new Batmobile?
Can't blame them, though, I totally would have done the same and I hate selfies.

Those police pictures are popular not only for just general bat fans but for the engineers that probably want to reverse engineer every iteration of the batmobile. Bats probably uses his ownership of the internet as a way to filter out pics that are a little too revealing for him.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Omobono posted:

When they rush away as they see you coming, you can turn around and go talk to them about it-they're absolutely adorable.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

The 'I'm counting on it' line was so cheesy and used so much.

I think it's nice Batman is kind to Oracle and comforting the best he can. It's sweet and different than his behavior to Manbat. "YOU MURDERED YOUR WIFE FUCKO. :| " Yes Manbat killed his wife, but it was not a conscious choice and he's probably just as hosed up in the head as Oracle may be. [But in a different way, I mean if that makes sense? PTSD is poo poo.]

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Wedemeyer posted:

Yes Manbat killed his wife, but it was not a conscious choice and he's probably just as hosed up in the head as Oracle may be. [But in a different way, I mean if that makes sense? PTSD is poo poo.]

It was absolutely a conscious choice. He chose to ignore proper experimental procedure and just shot himself up with bat juice, and bears full responsibility for the consequences. Murder it was probably not, but the dude definitely belongs in jail.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Crabtree posted:

Bats probably uses his ownership of the internet as a way to filter out pics that are a little too revealing for him.

what

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Batman deletes unflattering butt pictures of himself he finds on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Crigit posted:

It was absolutely a conscious choice. He chose to ignore proper experimental procedure and just shot himself up with bat juice, and bears full responsibility for the consequences. Murder it was probably not, but the dude definitely belongs in jail.

Oh? Huh, okay. I just assumed as a scientist he actually followed some kind of ethics and procedures of experimenting on flies/mice before going full russian and shooting himself up with Science. It's been a while so I guess I've forgotten.

• Locked thread