Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MisterBibs posted:

I shudder to think what sort of problems you've gotten into (or what lovely insurance you have) that lead to lovely situations that promote a "insurance companies are pure evil" mentality.

They're businesses set up to profit from people's misfortune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

They're businesses set up to profit from people's misfortune.

Their misfortunes would be far worse without the service they provide, to the point where it's a law in civilized places that you need to have it.

Do you hold hospitals with the same ire? Car repair services? Resturants? Outside of purely luxury items, every company is predicated on making money off some level of misfortune.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
*hospital dumps sick person on street to die because they can't afford insurance* the free hand of the market is ultimately benevolent

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Henchman of Santa posted:

People referring to their pets as their children. I've seen so many posts by young, childless people today including themselves in Mother's Day celebrations because of their dog or cat.

Doesn't help that my mom refers to my sister's dog as her granddog.

My cousin posts frequently on facebook with #furbabies. I used to just take it with a grain of salt. She's clearly not aware how stupid and annoying that is and probably just thinks it's cute. The last time we visited though, she vented about how one of her friends called her out on it, and said having pets was nothing like being an actual mother. My cousin went on this long rant to me about how important it is to be a dog-mother, and that it's just as significant as having children. Then she went on about how she refuses to have kids because she's too old and it's amoral to have kids at that age.

We are the same age, thirties.

Should I get knocked up anytime soon, I will kindly forget what she had said to me, and she had better do the same.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MisterBibs posted:

Their misfortunes would be far worse without the service they provide, to the point where it's a law in civilized places that you need to have it.

Do you hold hospitals with the same ire? Car repair services? Resturants? Outside of purely luxury items, every company is predicated on making money off some level of misfortune.

I went to the hospital recently and didn't pay a cent. In civilised places, access to health care is a right and you don't need health insurance. And I don't see how car repair services or restaurants are in any way comparable.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Insurance companies and the people who works for them are evil*. They wouldn't pay for one of my meds so I ran out, I called and was crying and told the lady I was suicidal and can I please talk to a manager to sort this out and she was like "no I won't let you speak to a manager, I don't care, your doctor has to fill out the form," which he had. Three times.

*not all employees but many

E: and I have really good insurance so "lovely insurance" isn't the reason

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Why do this to yourself? It's pretty close to self harming.

I love trash tv. This doesn't sound good after my previous paragraph but I'm ok now that they finally paid for my meds. Oh and they had the decency to send me a letter saying "we will cover the cost but you should have sent in the form sooner" :downs:

For content: people who call me a hipster only because I wear skinny jeans and/or have black glasses. Pretty much everyone wears skinny jeans these days and I've worn black glasses since literally 1999, I don't collect vinyls or ride a bike around, or listen to weird music, have a stupid haircut, wear ironic clothes, or live in the hipster part of the city. I'm not a loving hipster.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 08:28 on May 10, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
People call any and everyone who isn't as basic as humanly possible a hipster. That word is my pet peeve in most situations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I don't know what's worse -- people who get on the train & play music without headphones, or people who get on the train, play music WITH headphones, but atonally sing along to random lyrics.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

For content: people who call me a hipster only because I wear skinny jeans and/or have black glasses. Pretty much everyone wears skinny jeans these days and I've worn black glasses since literally 1999, I don't collect vinyls or ride a bike around, or listen to weird music, have a stupid haircut, wear ironic clothes, or live in the hipster part of the city. I'm not a loving hipster.

Sounds like something a hipster would say :grin:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Tiggum posted:

I went to the hospital recently and didn't pay a cent. In civilised places, access to health care is a right and you don't need health insurance. And I don't see how car repair services or restaurants are in any way comparable.

Yeah, well, bully for you. Not everyone lives in "civilized" countries.

I have a new peeve: People who assume everywhere in the world is the same as where they live.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Thin Privilege posted:

It's a fad/trend that'll pass and nobody will care a year from now. In high school when I shaved my head the summer before my senior year, I had people calling me a fascist or a Neo-Nazi, some going as far as goose-stepping around me or throwing up the one armed salute. It sucked but was fun lobbing poo poo back in their faces that they didn't realize anyone knew about, especially anything cringeworthy or really embarrassing.

Anywho, don't take it personally, people talk trash because of how bad their own lives suck, it's their way of distracting from their bullshit situation instead of making it better.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Bast Relief posted:

My cousin posts frequently on facebook with #furbabies.

This bothered me on some level and while thinking i remembered that babyfurs exist. Easy to confuse the two.
Oh, and don't GIS it. :barf:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

Insurance companies provide a good and proper service whose customers are in a pissy mood when having to deal with them. Anyone who works with people like that (especially with an 'your job is inherently evil' delusion going on) deserve medals.

Closest I ever got to that, luckily, was working as a food server at a kitchen. One of the first things you learn is that you're not dealing with people in their best moments.

It depends upon the type of insurance. Private insurance companies are generally a bad thing when they're insuring for something that is very important/necessary to people, like health insurance. This is because, under such circumstances, they become a product that most people have no real choice but to purchase, which gives the insurance company more leverage in terms of doing things to gently caress over clients. There's also the obvious fact that the insurance company directly makes more money by denying your claims (or paying less). While this is limited to some extent by the law and competition between insurance companies, it is still a problem.

In a perfect world, necessary insurance that most or all people need - like health or car insurance - would be a single system run by the government. This is for the kind of obvious reason that insurance works efficiently with a larger client pool plus the fact that no profit motive will allow such insurance to fulfill its proper role as a public service.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

MisterBibs posted:

Insurance companies provide a good and proper service whose customers are in a pissy mood when having to deal with them. Anyone who works with people like that (especially with an 'your job is inherently evil' delusion going on) deserve medals.

Closest I ever got to that, luckily, was working as a food server at a kitchen. One of the first things you learn is that you're not dealing with people in their best moments.

Oh I didn't see this post

Here's another example. My friend has a lifelong disease. Before The ACA she was able to buy the same plan as corporations give to their employees, a really good plan. Now they don't offer it anymore because they'd have to pay more because now they would have more "customers," hence they'd have to pay more money. So now she has to go for their other plans where her meds are ridiculously expensive. Her inhaler is $100!

Also I pay $500/month for my meds. And my psychiatrist, a doctor, pays $2000/ month for ONE of his meds because his insurance won't cover them!

But noooo insurance companies are good!

Ok sorry for this derail but whoever says insurance companies are good is an idiot.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 00:27 on May 11, 2016

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
People complaining to me about the ACA is my pet peeve. I had no insurance after I hit 18 in 2001 until it passed, because dwarfism is a pre-existing condition and unless you're rich enough to pay a ridiculous premium, or lucky enough to find a job with health insurance, you're more or less hosed. That's why I have nearly a hundred grand in medical debt, thanks to two emergency surgeries (neither of which were related to dwarfism in the slightest way). It's hard for me to feel really bad when people grumble about the ACA at this point because for the first time as an adult I got to schedule a surgery like a normal person and didn't get slammed by bills after.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

The fact that certain customers seem to think insurance companies are inherently evil and we get our paychecks by refusing to compensate their damages

Companies exist to maximize profit.

An insurance company maximizes profits via high premiums and low payout.

NO CONFLICT OF INTEREST THERE NOW BEND OVER AND TAKE THE INVISIBLE FIST OF THE FREE MARKET

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Tendai posted:

People complaining to me about the ACA is my pet peeve. I had no insurance after I hit 18 in 2001 until it passed, because dwarfism is a pre-existing condition and unless you're rich enough to pay a ridiculous premium, or lucky enough to find a job with health insurance, you're more or less hosed. That's why I have nearly a hundred grand in medical debt, thanks to two emergency surgeries (neither of which were related to dwarfism in the slightest way). It's hard for me to feel really bad when people grumble about the ACA at this point because for the first time as an adult I got to schedule a surgery like a normal person and didn't get slammed by bills after.

Sorry for my bitching, I feel bad :( ACA is definitely a good thing, I absolutely agree with that. But it also came with a lot of assholeness from the insurance companies trying to make sure their profit margins or whatever were still good$$$. On my end I had a pre-existing thing covered 100% before ACA but I didn't have time to get the surgery, now it's $20K+ cause now they don't cover it so I get to keep my horrible back problems.

In summary: insurance companies are evil.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 00:30 on May 11, 2016

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Thin Privilege posted:

Sorry for my bitching, I feel bad :( ACA is definitely a good thing, I absolutely agree with that. But it also came with a lot of assholeness from the insurance companies trying to make sure their profit margins or whatever were still good$$$. On my end I had a pre-existing thing covered 100% before ACA but I didn't have time to get the surgery, now it's $20K+ cause now they don't cover it so I get to keep my horrible back problems.

In summary: insurance companies are evil.
Oh no I wasn't talking about you, your mention just made me think of it. More the dumbasses on my Facebook who scream about having to pay for people like me :v:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

unwantedplatypus posted:

Companies exist to maximize profit.

NO CONFLICT OF INTEREST THERE NOW BEND OVER AND TAKE THE INVISIBLE FIST OF THE FREE MARKET

And in this case, "low payout" means "literally murdering people".

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

unwantedplatypus posted:

To be fair, you could say "maximizes profit via high prices" about virtually any company. Ideally competing insurance companies would result in better service and lower premiums. The issue with some types of insurance (as well as certain other products) is when demand is very inelastic (for example products people have to buy no matter what the price is) or there's very little competition (either due to fewer competitors or collusion). At least the former obviously strongly applies to health insurance.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

RabbitWizard posted:

This bothered me on some level and while thinking i remembered that babyfurs exist. Easy to confuse the two.
Oh, and don't GIS it. :barf:

I read the AUG thread, so I've already been exposed!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

YeahTubaMike posted:

I don't know what's worse -- people who get on the train & play music without headphones, or people who get on the train, play music WITH headphones, but atonally sing along to random lyrics.

People who have headphones but listen to it so loud that I can still hear it just fine, defeating the whole concept of headphones in the first place. Also causing ear damage to themselves because what the gently caress how are your ears not already bleeding.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

DarkCrawler posted:

People who have headphones but listen to it so loud that I can still hear it just fine, defeating the whole concept of headphones in the first place. Also causing ear damage to themselves because what the gently caress how are your ears not already bleeding.

Ear damage? What ear damage? These headphones must not be working right, lemme turn 'em up some more.

ALL THAT GLITTERS IS GOO~OOLD, ONLY SHOOTING STARS BREAK THE MOOO~OOOLD!

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

To be fair, you could say "maximizes profit via high prices" about virtually any company. Ideally competing insurance companies would result in better service and lower premiums. The issue with some types of insurance (as well as certain other products) is when demand is very inelastic (for example products people have to buy no matter what the price is) or there's very little competition (either due to fewer competitors or collusion). At least the former obviously strongly applies to health insurance.

If I buy bread from a store the retailer can't later come in and decide, "actually you're not allowed to buy that type of bread and no you can't get a refund.

You've already paid for a product, but insurance companies don't have to give it to you if they find a loophole.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

DarkCrawler posted:

This is a problem with either cheap headphones that are basically just ear hole-shaped speakers with no consideration to directing the sound or people using open-backed 'studio' style headphones in inappropriate situations like on the bloody train. Often the person listening to the headphones doesn't have them turned up terribly loud but because of the design all the sound leaks out the back of the headphone so it sounds like it's turned up to 11 for anyone sitting near by.

My current peeve: I have a group of friends that I play board games with. I love playing board games and I love my friends because they're relatively normal people and I can game without being subjected to awful nerds. However, I am not super competitive and am happy just playing games for the fun of it and whoever wins doesn't matter to me. However my friends are crazy competitive and get intensely emotionally invested in every game we play. One friend in particular also suffers a bit from ADD so not only is she furiously trying to win, she's constantly asking us to re-explain the rules of the game and then getting intense analysis paralysis so her turns take forever. This means a 20 minute light card game like Archaeology can easily take an hour to play. Last time we played she cried (real, actual crying, not just attention seeking) because someone else drew a map card when she was trying to collect a set of them and she thought it was going to ruin her plan. She also constantly tries to get us to divide the tiles into equal piles for each player when we play Carcassonne and refuses to accept our explanations of why that's a bad idea. I would be okay if she just said 'my crippling sad brains won't let me enjoy this game unless we do it this way even though I'm cutting myself off at the knees by only taking a quarter of the available tiles each game' but she just insists that it will make the game more 'efficient' or 'elegant' if we do things her way and refuses to acknowledge or engage when we try to explain probability and the reason all players draw from a shared pool of tiles to her. It's like trying to play cards with a child :(

So every game night leaves me frustrated because we can only ever play light games due to how long each game takes and our friend's inability to remember complex rules and also completely emotionally exhausted from watching my friends yell and curse at each other as they try to claw their way to the top of a game of Carcassonne or something. Then I talk to other normal-ish people who say they love board games but their knowledge of games starts and ends at Monopoly or maybe Cards Against Humanity so I don't know what the hell I have to do to find people to game with. Maybe I should just accept defeat and find a group of terrible nerds to play with :sigh:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

unwantedplatypus posted:

If I buy bread from a store the retailer can't later come in and decide, "actually you're not allowed to buy that type of bread and no you can't get a refund.

You've already paid for a product, but insurance companies don't have to give it to you if they find a loophole.

That isn't quite the same thing, since your contract with the insurance company isn't to "cover everything under any circumstance." To use your bread analogy, it's more like if the retailer sold you bread under the conditions that you can only eat it on Mondays and then took it back after you ate it at 2:00am Tuesday morning (only in the case of insurance replace these simple conditions with something that would take a lawyer to understand).

Of course, creating a product that is purposely confusing to laypeople so that you can legally take advantage of them is also morally wrong, but it isn't quite the same thing as directly saying you'll do something and then not doing it.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

cyberia posted:

She also constantly tries to get us to divide the tiles into equal piles for each player when we play Carcassonne and refuses to accept our explanations of why that's a bad idea. I would be okay if she just said 'my crippling sad brains won't let me enjoy this game unless we do it this way even though I'm cutting myself off at the knees by only taking a quarter of the available tiles each game' but she just insists that it will make the game more 'efficient' or 'elegant' if we do things her way and refuses to acknowledge or engage when we try to explain probability and the reason all players draw from a shared pool of tiles to her. It's like trying to play cards with a child :(

Are you drawing from a bag or a single pile?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Amoeba102 posted:

Are you drawing from a bag or a single pile?

When we play Carcassonne we put all the tiles in a bag and each player takes one tile out of the shared bag randomly on their turn. My friend doesn't like this method and wants to divide the tiles into equal piles at the beginning of the game so each player gets a separate pile of tiles to draw from. She doesn't understand / refuses to understand why her way of drawing would gently caress the randomness of the game and essentially turn it into a predetermined outcome.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
edit - double post

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

cyberia posted:

So every game night leaves me frustrated because we can only ever play light games due to how long each game takes and our friend's inability to remember complex rules and also completely emotionally exhausted from watching my friends yell and curse at each other as they try to claw their way to the top of a game of Carcassonne or something.

cyberia posted:

Maybe I should just accept defeat and find a group of terrible nerds to play with :sigh:

I've got some good news for you!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Ytlaya posted:

That isn't quite the same thing, since your contract with the insurance company isn't to "cover everything under any circumstance." To use your bread analogy, it's more like if the retailer sold you bread under the conditions that you can only eat it on Mondays and then took it back after you ate it at 2:00am Tuesday morning (only in the case of insurance replace these simple conditions with something that would take a lawyer to understand).

Of course, creating a product that is purposely confusing to laypeople so that you can legally take advantage of them is also morally wrong, but it isn't quite the same thing as directly saying you'll do something and then not doing it.

How about when they change what they cover. This year my gyno sent a letter saying a lot of insurances won't cover Pap smears and something else anymore so I have to watch out.

Evil.

Some content: people who yell at the bus driver from the back of a double bus to OPEN THE DOOR NOW when the bus is still moving. There's also this sensor to tell the driver of someone wants out if they're close enough to the door that rings obnoxiously, so these assholes set off this incessant RRRIIIIINNNNNNGGGG. Also people who strand too close too the doors in general that set off that ring, how do you not tie two and two together? Closer to door=ring. Farther=no ring.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

artsy fartsy posted:

I've got some good news for you!

:v:

That's what peeves me so much. My friends are relatively normal people. They've all got jobs, functional relationships, aren't obsessed with nerd media or pop culture. But when we sit down to play board games they all turn into loving lunatics.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

cyberia posted:

When we play Carcassonne we put all the tiles in a bag and each player takes one tile out of the shared bag randomly on their turn. My friend doesn't like this method and wants to divide the tiles into equal piles at the beginning of the game so each player gets a separate pile of tiles to draw from. She doesn't understand / refuses to understand why her way of drawing would gently caress the randomness of the game and essentially turn it into a predetermined outcome.

Yeah that's how I do it too. I wasn't sure how common the bag draw was though.
I had a too long post about this but thinking about it too much: Since you randomise the piles when you make them, it's just as random as the single bag blind draw. It gets determined at the point of pile creation, sure, but it's still random. Each sequence of tiles played is equally likely with either method. It's just doing the draws before the game rather than during.
Single bag is easier though and more efficient for a setup point of view.
Personal Pile removes the "they stole my tile" mentality no matter how idiotic that mentality is anyway.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
:stare: I might legit stop hanging out with anyone over the age of six who cries over a boardgame, or really any game. Like unless it's some massive boardgame tournament with millions in prizes or something

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

This might have come up in the thread before but anyone who says excuse you instead of excuse me or nothing at all. It's like you want people to know you're a dick.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

My fridge's ice maker when I want a big cup of ice for a drink:

*presses button to dispense ice* - first ice cube drops in the cup >>> *several hours later* - second ice cube drops in the cup >>>>>> *heat death of the universe with my skeletonized hand still grasping the cup* - third ice cube drops in the cup

My fridge's ice maker when I just want a few ice cubes for a small drink or to munch on:

*presses button to dispense ice* "Tonight on the 10 o'clock news, a man found dead in his home after his neighbors find him crushed under ten tons of ice in his kitchen. Witnesses say he was grasping a cup for unknown reasons."

There's never a middle ground :argh:

You Are A Werewolf has a new favorite as of 03:43 on May 13, 2016

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

bobjr posted:

This might have come up in the thread before but anyone who says excuse you instead of excuse me or nothing at all. It's like you want people to know you're a dick.

I feel like this hasn't come up because 99% aren't that rude, because all "excuse you" mean is "I am offended but I am too sour to say so". Unless it's a joke.

Content: Does anyone's hands get so dry that they get little ripped up pieces of skin around their nails? Which never heal? And are made worse by each successive handwash? The worst.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

cash crab posted:

Content: Does anyone's hands get so dry that they get little ripped up pieces of skin around their nails? Which never heal? And are made worse by each successive handwash? The worst.

Yeah, I get this thanks to the industrial foaming soap at work/school that dries the absolute gently caress out of my hands. Hand cream helps, but my hands often look like paper. And then I make it worse by picking at them! I've considered bringing my own soap but carrying around my own bottle of it all day seems a little... weird.

I have so many hand problems :cry:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Coconut oil, dudes. That poo poo is loving magical and you can use it on anything.

On topic: loving games like bejeweled or sailor moon drops or candy crush that bullshit you into loving losing so they can steal your money. I will never spend a single dime on you eat a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
People who don't pull the gently caress up after ordering at the drive thru

Seriously, rear end in a top hat who does this... you made your order of 28 loving Whopper meals for your whole sports team, then you pull ahead about 3 loving feet and stop so the person behind you (me) can't get close enough to place their order.

gently caress you.