Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mosnar posted:

Electricity travels primarily along the outside (surface) area of the wire. Said wire is now de-rated ..

Skin depth in copper at 60 Hz is almost a centimeter. All that wire is carrying current.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Phanatic posted:

Skin depth in copper at 60 Hz is almost a centimeter. All that wire is carrying current.

8.4 mm to be exact (depending on a couple complex factors). So a wire can be almost 3/4 inch thick and most of it will be carrying current.
However, the pictured wires are stranded, not solid. Each strand is its own solid wire, but much smaller than 8.4 mm. So really the whole wire is carrying current, regardless of how thick the bundle is. :science:

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 12, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keaE7QTKTYE

Just when you thought LED bulbs were safe.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I had my annual hearing test today (and respirator fit test). Said hearing test occurred in a rv type trailer, in a "soundproof" booth that wasn't, on a busy loading dock, with a diesel generator (powering the trailer) running right outside the window, 20 yards from an active train track.

Way to go, health and safety.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

8.4 mm to be exact (depending on a couple complex factors). So a wire can be almost 3/4 inch thick and most of it will be carrying current.
However, the pictured wires are stranded, not solid. Each strand is its own solid wire, but much smaller than 8.4 mm. So really the whole wire is carrying current, regardless of how thick the bundle is. :science:

Uh, nope! That is normal copper stranded wire. The strands aren't insulated from each other, so normal skin effect conditions still apply (more or less). Skin condition is only mitigated by using mutually-insulated conductors which are woven in a pattern to varies their location within the cable (Litz wire iirc, but i forget if thats a trademark or the generic term). You may now return to the facebook page for "I loving Love Science" or wherever you normally post.

I wanna put a lockout on this thread to keep idiots from bumbling in here and being incredibly wrong.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Slanderer posted:

What the hell are you guys talking about?

The inner diameter of the wires is too large to fit the holes in the block, so multiple conductors are clipped off to make it fit. This might not be a huge issue by itself--oversized cable may have been used, so removing conductors leading up to a terminal connection might not cause any issues due to higher resistance (but if the cable was the right size, then the terminals might be underrated). The only problem I have is that the insulation was stripped away pretty far from where the conductors where cut.

Even if the cable is still sufficient to carry the load, it’s a violation of NEC 110.14(A): “Connection of conductors to terminal parts shall ensure a
thoroughly good connection without damaging the conductors”.

I’m pretty sure that counts as damage.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Even if the cable is still sufficient to carry the load, it’s a violation of NEC 110.14(A): “Connection of conductors to terminal parts shall ensure a
thoroughly good connection without damaging the conductors”.

I’m pretty sure that counts as damage.

For house wiring, sure. But I truly doubt that is related to what we are looking at here---this looks like something inside industrial equipment.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Combination nite lite bug zapper! :haw:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Burning_Monk posted:

I don't think they would be pursuing the criminal charges if they just found remains of a cig butt. Most likely they found something like a fire accelerant that shouldn't have been there.

An old butt near a diesel tank is enough for MSHA to cite you, probably also enough for BATF to decide it's a criminal act.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Uhhh, I just watched this and I'm confused. While that "GU10" socket does look lovely and dumb for not being polarized, I'm not sure there is a polarity issue here. The bridge rectifier he points out provides reverse polarity protection, so there should be an issue with plugging it in "reversed". There will still be the danger of the rectified DC though, unless I'm missing something/

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
The bigger issue is his gross nails.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

gender illusionist posted:

The bigger issue is his gross nails.

My fingers hurt just looking at that poo poo. His thumbnail is like 1/2 as big as it should be.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

JB50 posted:

My fingers hurt just looking at that poo poo. His thumbnail is like 1/2 as big as it should be.

some poor fuckers get digitally separated.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Things went slightly awry at the lightsaber factory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kztqRO4292o

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SneakyFrog posted:

:catbert: adventure.

hey, every visit to the department of labor is its own little adventure.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/CvSQBPm.gifv

DocCynical
Jan 9, 2003

That is not possible just now

Slanderer posted:

Uhhh, I just watched this and I'm confused. While that "GU10" socket does look lovely and dumb for not being polarized, I'm not sure there is a polarity issue here. The bridge rectifier he points out provides reverse polarity protection, so there should be an issue with plugging it in "reversed". There will still be the danger of the rectified DC though, unless I'm missing something/

There is no rectifier. It's a dropper circuit with capacitors and a resistor.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

This never, ever gets old.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Ok that looks like wood planks but where are they coming from? The dock supports?

Edit: Oh nevermind, just saw that support structure on the boat.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 13, 2016

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Crazy Ted posted:

This never, ever gets old.

I wonder if the cameraman was impaled

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Cumslut1895 posted:

I've wondered that myself. IIRC the video is a number of years old, so I'm sure there's been a story on it explaining what exactly happened and what the aftermath was.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cumslut1895 posted:

"WPTV posted:

The photographers suffered bumps and bruises and another person suffered a broken leg, the Today Show reported.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/aXsXkZG.webm

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Friends don't let friends ride mopeds.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

The Japanese really knew their safety stuff back then

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Good to see the Hwach'a is still en vogue in Greece.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Booourns posted:

The Japanese really knew their safety stuff back then

To this day I still avoid the skid demon and give timely tootels.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I bet you explode the ol' exhaust box a bit, though.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Slanderer posted:

I wanna put a lockout on this thread to keep idiots from bumbling in here and being incredibly wrong.

Why do you hate fun and natural selection?

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I am going to sacrifice a virgin to the skid demon ( I am going to jump under a car)

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Booourns posted:

tootel the horn trumpet melodiously

That killed me.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

I wonder if someone losing their tether during a space walk and consequently fatally drifting off would be listed under the stats as a fatality from a fall of over 8 feet
V95.49 Other spacecraft accident injuring occupant

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
As we're posting some oldies, this came up in the AI Mechanical Failures thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG1MnXkHhlM

Stationary engine nerds are a whole safety thread by themselves.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 13, 2016

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

ReelBigLizard posted:

As we're posting some oldies, this came up in the AI Mechanical Failures thread.

That could have ended much, much worse.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
that engine is not very stationary

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

ReelBigLizard posted:

Is it a smoke machine? What's it supposed to do?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Karma Monkey posted:

It's an engine. It runs things.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Karma Monkey posted:

It's a stationary engine for hooking up equipment to, built around 1930. According to a video description this is its first time being started after 20 years of outdoor storage.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Cumslut1895 posted:

General Bullshit: WGBS Channel 4 - Your local news leader › OSHA - I wonder if the cameraman was impaled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

I worked at a paper mill for a few summers. There was this waste container that had 50-200kg paper rolls in it. Many tons of paper in total. The problem was, that it was on a ledge and there was no easy way to empty it.

The solution involved lifting the container in a tilted position and lowering it into a bigger container then opening the container door. The container had an open top so there was a risk of stuff flowing over. The belts that lift the container have loops only around the two crane hooks. So the four attachment rings rely on friction only to keep the belt from sliding.

After you had lowered the container into the bigger one, you'd climb onto a forklift's forks and open the container door handle by smashing it with a lead hammer. A clear risk of falling among other things.

Nothing bad ever happened, but it did feel so very wrong to see this big container lift into the air so tilted. They have a proper safe system in place now.