Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Marching Powder posted:

Lol. Where's the product you purchased big guy? Are we only allowed to make fun of the people who spent thousands on an autistic man's dream as long as they have not yet cried to the bank that they were taken in by a charismatic con man (lol) and it's not their fault?

I gave no money to CIG and I reserve the right to mock backers even after "they cry to the bank" and get a refund. Has has zero bearing on the fact that these are sales as defined by EU law. It also has zero bearing on the fact that your posts are poo poo and you should extrude less of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ponzi posted:

If they can choose the arbitrator, then that's really hosed.

Welcome to America, home of the free.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ponzi posted:

But why do you assume that arbitration would fail? To win, CIG need to demonstrate that they have fulfilled their obligations to the satisfaction of a neutral arbitor, and if they lose you get your money back PLUS financial disclosure.

"A neutral arbitrator", give me a break. There's no such thing, the arbitrators are chosen by CIG so they have zero incentive to rule against them otherwise they lose their client. Samt thing with the rating agencies and the bank bonanza of 2008.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

osker posted:

Amy (Cloud Imperium Games)

Hi XXX

Thank you very much for contacting us.

Unfortunately the CS team cannot discuss the Terms of Service or the EULA with you as we are not trained in law. However if you have any in game related questions feel free to ask, otherwise I shall close this ticket, thank you.
Best Regards
Amy Goldfinch

Roberts Space Industries

They are not only widening the doors and blocking the exits, now they're installing one way foil on the windows so you can't see in while they can see out...

tick tick tick tick...

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ponzi posted:

If they can choose the arbitrator, then that's really hosed.
The entire point of arbitration clauses is to abuse them by nominating "impartial" arbitration agencies who are of course a business themselves; one for whom ruling in favour of a company means more nominations from that company to defend it against consumers and therefore more income, rather than a ruling in favour of the consumer which will mean less nominations because consumers by nature have much less need of an arbitration service than a company, and companies aren't interested in retaining the business of an arbiter that costs them money.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Star Citizen : We are not trained in law

If derek is mod he can change the name of this forum right? Or just thread?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4j25nj/around_the_verse_episode_231/d3313qb

To be fair, I'd start being an obtuse tool too if Toast were my roommate.

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 13, 2016

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
In that case I think the film 'Erin Brockovich' is full of poo poo. I bet in real life the plaintiffs lost and PG&E won

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
It was been 20 minutes without a post.

What's wrong Star Citizen thread, feeling down? :\

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

ZenMaster posted:

Pros and Cons just refers to the two types of people who work at CIG

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

In real life the plaintiffs had to wait months for settlement, the amounts portioned to them weren't based on the damages done to their health, and after the case the attorneys took the arbiters on a Mediterranean cruise. In addition, the secrecy offered by the arbitration process has meant nobody involved in it could take further action against attorneys they felt cheated by or PG&E and 'officially' the company never poisoned an entire town for over a decade.

And it didn't even cost them a year's earnings.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 13, 2016

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I always thought that TOS on software and websites was not too strongly upheld if actually brought to court?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris_v._Blockbuster,_Inc.

quote:

On Douglas’s petition for a writ of mandamus, the Ninth Circuit vacated the district court’s order compelling arbitration, holding that Talk America’s revised contract containing the arbitration clause was not binding on Douglas because Douglas had never agreed to it. Talk America argued that the revised terms were available for Douglas’s review on the Talk America website, but the court rejected this argument. According to the court:

Even if Douglas had visited the website, he would have had no reason to look at the contract posted there. Parties to a contract have no obligation to check the terms on a periodic basis to learn whether they have been changed by the other side. Indeed, a party can't unilaterally change the terms of a contract; it must obtain the other party's consent before doing so. This is because a revised contract is merely an offer and does not bind the parties until it is accepted. And generally "an offeree cannot actually assent to an offer unless he knows of its existence." Even if Douglas's continued use of Talk America's service could be considered assent, such assent can only be inferred after he received proper notice of the proposed changes.

phosdex fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 13, 2016

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Rodney-CK posted:

Ok. I've never been on Reddit and have no idea how it works. But I'm going to assume it's like a forum that doesn't remove stuff (unless it's down voted apparently?).

So, my question: is there like a Reddit history where all these INN guys started talking? I'm sure there must be like a "hey I like what you've done, want to start a professionally made fan site for some reason?"

It's also funny (and I bet to them too) that they were compared to WCNEWS. WCNEWS looks and feels like a genuine fan site. It's got that "try hard" kind of thing going for it. INN doesn't strike me as a fan site. It feels more like one of those hype sites set up by a company to hype their game. Only they don't usually say "we didn't make this site".

So is there a history of these guys getting together? I know from the thread that they've basically logged into RSI forums like 4 times. That to me sounds like a super serious fan who would definitely spend tons of time devoted to this thing for no money at all.

Totally legit.

The way I remember it unfolding was way before INN a lone redditor/citizen named Nehkara (sp?) used to do most of the stuff inn does, but by himself and would post it to r/starcitizen. After a long time (a year maybe?) of that he disappeared for a bit, and when he came back he was with INN but I have no idea where the other guys came from, but at first it was mostly Nehkara content.

I always liked him and I think he's a just legit fan just doing what he can for a game he loves, but if there's any public history to be found it would likely be from reading through his old pre-inn threads but obviously that jake guy that runs the digital astrorurfing mercenary corp seems like a slimy douche and where I suspect the cig psyop poo poo comes into play.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I've been gifted an account with two ships on it. What should I do with it, besides maybe forget that I have it for months, because I already did that

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Why is no one playing any more?

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

I've been gifted an account with two ships on it. What should I do with it, besides maybe forget that I have it for months, because I already did that

Sell them on the grey market asap before prices crash. Take your family out for a couple of nice dinners.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Is this game out yet?

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Risc1911 posted:

Sell them on the grey market asap before prices crash. Take your family out for a couple of nice dinners.

Then do a chargeback from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

GreyPowerVan posted:

Is this game out yet?

Nope, Activision just showed SC the door by releasing a COD trailer and interviews outlining what is essentially the same as SQ42 and will be released in November.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeF3UTkCoxY

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Risc1911 posted:

Nope, Activision just showed SC the door by releasing a COD trailer and interviews outlining what is essentially the same as SQ42 and will be released in November.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeF3UTkCoxY

Yeah Risc, I do think that trailer did a lot of damage to faith in the project. For all the downvotes it got on YouTube, I think it shocked a lot of backers. Many have held on to the belief that Chris will have all the time he needs to get this right. All the money. And now this?

And yet it won't stop with this. There's more coming. The bar will no longer be solely raised by Braben-- it'll be Cod and Mass Effect and more. And given the budget and his promises -- he has to leap over all them at once.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

G0RF posted:

Yeah Risc, I do think that trailer did a lot of damage to faith in the project. For all the downvotes it got on YouTube, I think it shocked a lot of backers. Many have held on to the belief that Chris will have all the time he needs to get this right. All the money. And now this?

And yet it won't stop with this. There's more coming. The bar will no longer be solely raised by Braben-- it'll be Cod and Mass Effect and more. And given the budget and his promises -- he has to leap over all them at once.

Yeah, with all the releases this year the space game genre is quite saturated and will fill the vacuum SC tried to claim. Looking at the variety of games: mass market cod, classic elite, procedural & innovative NMS, rogue-like everspace the bases are more than covered. This will have consequences for CIG in the long run but i do hope they rush a broken SQ42 as that would be a swift and glorious end.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Looks like Dowlphin got himself a time out for being a oval office in the hardware section (Pascal gpu's)

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/329425/don-t-be-fooled-by-current-pascal-advertising#latest

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

MeLKoR posted:

I gave no money to CIG and I reserve the right to mock backers even after "they cry to the bank" and get a refund. Has has zero bearing on the fact that these are sales as defined by EU law. It also has zero bearing on the fact that your posts are poo poo and you should extrude less of them.

i'm not contesting that they're sales, i'm lol'ing that they're selling dreams and loads of people itt bought them cry about paypal classifying it as gambling.

the people itt whose feelings i hurt are funny, but i don't think you're in any position to reserve the right to laugh at them while you seriously use Advanced Posting Tools. feel free to post back that 'at least i'm not as bad as you' or some other boring poo poo peace!

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

phosdex posted:

I always thought that TOS on software and websites was not too strongly upheld if actually brought to court?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris_v._Blockbuster,_Inc.

This sounds logical. Hence it wont probably work with CIG.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 13, 2016

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Thoatse posted:

Looks like Dowlphin got himself a time out for being a oval office in the hardware section (Pascal gpu's)

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/329425/don-t-be-fooled-by-current-pascal-advertising#latest

can't see it without a login, post some good screencapz for those of us who want to experience dowlphin's downphall

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

GreyPowerVan posted:

Is this game out yet?

yes and it's got hundreds of hours more content than most AAA titles at this stage so it's entirely fair that refunds are no longer accepted

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Marching Powder posted:

i'm not contesting that they're sales, i'm lol'ing that they're selling dreams and loads of people itt bought them cry about paypal classifying it as gambling.

the people itt whose feelings i hurt are funny, but i don't think you're in any position to reserve the right to laugh at them while you seriously use Advanced Posting Tools. feel free to post back that 'at least i'm not as bad as you' or some other boring poo poo peace!

Friend, you generally don't do your opinions any favors if you voice them drenched in smug self satisfaction and without any attempts at rational argument

I get that it's very convenient and comfortable for you to dismiss others' concerns because responding to your lovely posts is inherently ludicrous or whatever, but could you please do it elsewhere? You're obviously disinterested in any honest discussion so your posting here contributes nothing.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Friend, you generally don't do your opinions any favors if you voice them drenched in smug self satisfaction and without any attempts at rational argument

I get that it's very convenient and comfortable for you to dismiss others' concerns because responding to your lovely posts is inherently ludicrous or whatever, but could you please do it elsewhere? You're obviously disinterested in any honest discussion so your posting here contributes nothing.

my rational argument is 'it's fair to list buying dreams as gambling'. if you don't agree, i call you a shut-in loser not in touch with reality. i understand that when i'm posting in a thread full of people who literally used real money to purchase dreams my opinions could be considered of no worth but i'm deriving loads of entertainment from it so unfortunately i can't really accommodate you at the moment but this argument's getting long anyway so i foresee it ending really soon just have patience homie

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Wafflz posted:

gif 2.5 is on the Public Test Post, please remember your NDAs

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I also sympathize with Paypal or any bank that wants to wash their hands of providing chargebacks over crowd funding disputes. You're dealing hazily-legally-defined transactions over products that don't exist yet and companies that frequently only exist by virtue of selling something that doesn't exist yet. You aren't dealing with John Q merchant that has actual products to sell and an actual reason to cooperate with the chargeback process. You aren't even dealing with Jon Q Fraudster who is obviously a fraud and can be prosecuted. It's pretty much a grey legal quagmire for them, a shithole that will generate endless disputes that will frequently never be resolved. It's not like Paypal invented this piece of poo poo shady funding model, so I don't blame them for thinking 'can we just not deal with this bullshit'

PSA: Do not support crowd funding if you don't want to lose your money with little no recourse.

Maybe one day someone will put crowd funding on a level where it's regulated and not shady but until then nobody should have to touch this poop and I don't blame them.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Sometimes you get a good crowdfunded game, though. Like Pillars of Eternity

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Paypal's done some shady bullshit over the years and almost always get away with it because they're "not a bank" in the US and have a monopoly for their specific service niche.

smh @ paypal apologists

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

GreyPowerVan posted:

Sometimes you get a good crowdfunded game, though. Like Pillars of Eternity

And sometimes you get that artificial gills thing that lets you breathe underwater like a fish! Amazing technology!

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

1 million backers

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

pfft..that will exist in Star Citizen anyway

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Kakarot posted:

pfft..that will exist in Star Citizen anyway
Crowdfunding?

I hope CIG releases a PTU crowdfunding update, where different fake companies offer people to back their new in-universe WIP jpeg designs with $$$.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
On the day the sickening and heartbreaking truth becomes apparent and no shitizen can turn his face away any longer, Derek needs to change the title of this thread to Star Citizen - Derek Smart Was Right.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Marching Powder posted:

if you don't agree, i call you a shut-in loser not in touch with reality.

that certainly simplifies things

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

lazorexplosion posted:

I also sympathize with Paypal or any bank that wants to wash their hands of providing chargebacks over crowd funding disputes. You're dealing hazily-legally-defined transactions over products that don't exist yet and companies that frequently only exist by virtue of selling something that doesn't exist yet. You aren't dealing with John Q merchant that has actual products to sell and an actual reason to cooperate with the chargeback process. You aren't even dealing with Jon Q Fraudster who is obviously a fraud and can be prosecuted. It's pretty much a grey legal quagmire for them, a shithole that will generate endless disputes that will frequently never be resolved. It's not like Paypal invented this piece of poo poo shady funding model, so I don't blame them for thinking 'can we just not deal with this bullshit'

PSA: Do not support crowd funding if you don't want to lose your money with little no recourse.

Maybe one day someone will put crowd funding on a level where it's regulated and not shady but until then nobody should have to touch this poop and I don't blame them.

Nah. A decision to not accept any payments to crowdfunding campaigns I could respect, but why should they exclude any and all crowdfunding endeavors from rules which they apply in all other cases? It seems to disregard a lot of concerns such as if it's got a release date, if it's a physical or digital product, the recipient has been convicted of fraud or whatever. Having a blanket crowdfunding exception, to me, seems just weirdly balanced toward loving the backers

Marching Powder posted:

my rational argument is 'it's fair to list buying dreams as gambling'. if you don't agree, i call you a shut-in loser not in touch with reality. i understand that when i'm posting in a thread full of people who literally used real money to purchase dreams my opinions could be considered of no worth but i'm deriving loads of entertainment from it so unfortunately i can't really accommodate you at the moment but this argument's getting long anyway so i foresee it ending really soon just have patience homie

No, your argument was that
:goonsay: "giving money to 'some guy' for 'some dream' is loving stupid and bank or no bank nobody should have to return money to that retard. it's the life lesson of getting grifted for the shut-in. it's a good thing."

...so people getting defrauded have only themselves to blame and that the scammer is providing some benefit to society - which only makes sense to the kinda captains of industry that live atop an ivory tower in their parents' basement. But I guess having touch with reality is what separates us, that I can fully agree with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Sandi Gardiner, Actor

• Locked thread