Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Crowning moment of my playthrough as Handsome Patches thus far: An invader pulled out some binoculars to examine just how Patches-like he was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Some guy claiming that Poise gives you a chance to gain Hyper Armor.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Untended Graves was pretty great. It's a shame there wasn't anything interesting near the crows or in the rafters, but it was fun being able to do the tree jump to get out of bounds.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm surprised they didn't put some horribly strong enemy at the top where the fire keeper's soul normally is.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

TheAnomaly posted:

Ludleth also mentions something about it being in the past - maybe it was his linking of the fire? And maybe it wasn't Andre, maybe that's the final resting place of one of the Blacksmiths from 2.

He just explains that the firekeeper eyes show a world without fire.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Kild posted:

Some guy claiming that Poise gives you a chance to gain Hyper Armor.

In what circumstance?

It is possible, since it is a percentage going from 0 to 100% and cannot go over unless you use a negative multiplier.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

In what circumstance?

It is possible, since it is a percentage going from 0 to 100% and cannot go over unless you use a negative multiplier.

during any swing I guess. https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4j4f94/ds3_poise_researched_and_explained/

quote:

The big change this time around is that every weapon is eligible for hyper armor some of the time. The simplest expression of this mechanic I could come up with is:
"If you are struck in the middle of an attack animation with any weapon, you have a chance to finish your attack and not be interrupted. This chance is positively influenced by your poise, and negatively influenced by the size of the attack that hit you".
In this way, it acts like a kind of non-deterministic hyper armor. You will sometimes get to swing through incoming attacks, but you cannot predict when that will be unless you are using certain very large weapons.

But the chance some hacker hasn't discovered it by setting their poise to 100 or 999 or whatever. I'm not inclined to believe it.

Also every heavy weapon gets hyper armor regardless of poise value except Greatsword which gets it always as long as you have at least 0.1 poise. So his claim there also doesn't make much sense.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.
What's everyone's favorite boss in this? I haven't fought the final boss yet but the twin princes were my favorite Souls boss experience since Ludwig

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That poise theory seems supremely unlikely without a ton of evidence to back it up. It's like he read the thing about greatswords not having hyperarmor if you don't have poise and tried to make a whole hypothesis around it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Eldred posted:

What's everyone's favorite boss in this? I haven't fought the final boss yet but the twin princes were my favorite Souls boss experience since Ludwig

This is the first souls game ever where I think the final boss is my favorite

Its just so good

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Eldred posted:

Deacons of the deep, because you're just getting mobbed by a buncha fat popes

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Eldred posted:

To fight? Probably Twin Princes. Right mix of challenge and fun for me.

Aesthetically? Cursed Greatwood. People love their dudes with sword bosses but the big hosed up monsters just feel cool to kill.

Honorable mention; Aldrich, who would be amazing if his phase two arrows didn't last so loving long.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eldred posted:

Champion Gundyr and the final boss.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

The Champ also owns yeah

Love that guy

Even though he punched me, many... many times

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Harrow posted:

Oh yeah, forgot how good the end of Champion Gundyr is when he really goes nuts.

I kinda want to fight the final boss now but don't want to NG+ before all the DLC is out, it doesn't force you into NG+ or change the rest of the game world does it?

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Eldred posted:

Pontiff Sulyvahn. He feels like a Demon's Souls throwback, has a cool boss room & theme, and killed me the most on my first playthrough.

Digirat posted:

Deacons of the deep, because you're just getting mobbed by a buncha fat popes

Deacons is great, it feels like Royal Rat Vanguard / Living Failures done well, kinda like how Executioner's Chariot felt like Dragon God / Bed of Chaos done well. There's a ton of them but they don't have much HP, they don't do a lot of damage but they have a few attacks that can be very dangerous if ignored, and those two factors force you to do active crowd control. Plus there's an evil pope and after you kill them you can dress up like the pope, and also you can loudly sing "we could've had it all / deacons of the deep" during the fight and annoy your s/o.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Talking about good bosses in this game, it's gotta be THE CHAMP. That was such a brutal and punishing boss, but very fair and satisfying as hell to beat. Plus there's something really great about a giant knight in gently caress-off armor with a gigantic halberd not even hesitating to just deck you one for dodging like a loser.

Soul of Cinder was also an extremely good and well-designed boss. Really tough for me, too, which is kinda a change for these Souls games (edit: in that it has an actually kinda hard final boss), but it was a perfectly fitting end to such a huge catalog of bosses.

Deacons of the Deep gets an honorable mention for being the only horde boss that's even remotely interesting to fight, and Dancer of the Boreal Valley gets a few points just for sheer style.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 13, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eldred posted:

Champ Gundyr, just a straight up slug fest, no dumb second phase power up except getting even better at smacking your face in.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eldred posted:

Oh yeah, forgot how good the end of Champion Gundyr is when he really goes nuts.

I kinda want to fight the final boss now but don't want to NG+ before all the DLC is out, it doesn't force you into NG+ or change the rest of the game world does it?

Nope! You get to choose when you go to NG+.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Jerusalem posted:

When I played through it, I definitely got the sense that it was from a reality where the fire was left to die out, but that Ludleth essentially willed himself into our reality or even outright created it so he could try and set things right (though it's become clearer that the right thing to do was to actually let the fire go out).

Pure speculation on my behalf though.

I think it's past almost for sure. There's a lot of evidence for it from the Shrine Maid and the little lord's dialogue as well as the Champ's item descriptions. Some lore differences like the firekeeper corpse having eyes, a practice that isn't done anymore, also imply the past - the spent coiled fragment you remove could also be seen as clearing the pit for the present.

The major oddities, however, are 1) It's dark when it should be sunny, presumably from a successful firelinking. Not necessarily a gamebreaker, the item description on the hidden blessing which you find in the untended graves potentially references darklink as: "There is a grave in Lothric that sees no visitors, a dark place where rootless warriors rest," which probably references the untended graves in its past state with all the black knights roaming around. This wrinkle could also be resolved by remembering that suns in the DSverse aren't as real as our recalling that Gwyndolin had a fake sun going in Anor Londo that vanished when you slayed him back in DS1. Doing that had no affect on the lighting of undeadburg or the area at bottom of the archtrees or whatever. In this game we have disparate places like Irithyll/Londo, Arch Dragon Peak & Lothric that are all lit differently. Firelink Shrine might just be dark because it isn't being used (a bland screensaver tho). :v:

The next wrinkle is that 2) the thrones for the last ever cycle probably are already in place. No real good resolution for this one other than maybe the whole bells of awakening rising up the lords of cinder and the unkindled alike is known prophesy in the souls-verse (the darklink shrine maid does remark on you, an unkindled, waking up before the bell when you speak to her). All this could have been ~*foreseen*~ :v:

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Is there a shield that can cast sorceries

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Darth Windu posted:

Is there a shield that can cast sorceries

there are shields which can parry sorceries but no moon-light ring shield unfortunately

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Sakurazuka posted:

Champ Gundyr, just a straight up slug fest, no dumb second phase power up except getting even better at smacking your face in.

I wish the shoulder tackle and roundhouse kick were his weapon arts.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

:laffo: at these people trying to call in my purple sign at random bonfires for some honorable meta PvP before I just charge past them leaving aural decoys in my wake

Does this sign look red to you?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

wow the gotthard swords do way way way too much damage

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I know, isn't it great?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

wow the gotthard swords do way way way too much damage

Eh, not really.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Holy poo poo on the final boss when Gwyn's theme kicks in gave me some serious goosebumps. I went for the hollow ending since it seemed to line up the most with 2's true ending. Whether you link the fire or not doesn't really matter, it all leads to the same place eventually. Usurping the flame seems like it might actually break the eternal cycle of undeath

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Eh, not really.

duuaaah yes really

if someone can do ~600 damage with one rolling l1 to me ( level 60) theres a problem

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Abyss Watchers is probably the most memorable fight for me. A very powerful scene with great music.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

duuaaah yes really

if someone can do ~600 damage with one rolling l1 to me ( level 60) theres a problem

I think they have the leo ring on and it was a counter attack or you have no armor on.

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

Digirat posted:

:laffo: at these people trying to call in my purple sign at random bonfires for some honorable meta PvP before I just charge past them leaving aural decoys in my wake

Seriously, the purple sign isn't for dueling, it's for when you want a bulk delivery of skeletons ASAP.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Best invasion that I had was when I invaded as a purple and the guy was standing by the bonfire, and as soon as I came in he promptly summoned a purple. So I sat and waited, and then he got invaded by a red and he summoned another guy and we proceeded to have a ridiculous free for all. Purple covenant best covenant.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Speaking of Leo Ring what are some cool weapons to use it with?

The Hollowslayer Greatsword spamming r2s is one I'm seeing a bit and it hits like a truck. Seems boring as hell though.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Do I have to stay at SL 120 if I want to finish all the covenants and have cool pvp/multiplayer experiences, or can I still continue to level freely through NG+(?) and still encounter a decent multiplayer community?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Kild posted:

I think they have the leo ring on and it was a counter attack or you have no armor on.

I don't know if rolling counts as something able to be 'countered' but even so that would still be 525 damage without it. for an attack that comes out really fast and has phantom range thats pretty absurd

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
Who's the boy Ludleth tells you not to seek? And who's the woman whose fate seems related??

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Digirat posted:

I invaded a guy who had a purple running around doing exactly this. Its really annoying, so mission accomplished.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Fought the champ while using a slow weapon, he slammed me, lifted me, then just loving back kicked me while I was flying through the air and killed me. loving awesome. Wish I could use his punching moveset :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Is Gundyr's Halberd good or no? I can never seem to make Halberds work for me.