Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Grenrow posted:

http://www.wired.com/2016/05/investor-peter-thiel-will-california-delegate-trump/

Is he trying to say that Thiel has some secret hidden plan too Machiavellian for the common mortals to understand? At this point, it shouldn't be surprising to anyone that Thiel is a Trump supporter.

To be fair, there was an actual thing where Cruz (and possibly Kasich as well?) was trying to get his supporters chosen as Trump delegates so they could switch to him on the second ballot.

Plus I was under the impression Thiel was a radical libertarian who supported free trade and open borders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

Oh wow, awful app bug. My apologies!

Haha, no problem - frankly when I saw you quote it just now I was confused as hell as it's something I couldn't have posted as I don't know Blake.

Yeah sorry I was just having a chuckle to myself on a boring afternoon.

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!
http://yudkowsky.tumblr.com/post/144258458675/giving-censored-free-airtime-on-your-blog-by

Reflections85
Apr 30, 2013

loving lol. What was that? Has Sandifers book gotten this under his skin? Does he realize how mad he sounds? Like drat. Why does he feel the need to vague blog about it?
Also Divabot, I think he quoted you in an earlier post and claimed that he stopped moderating before the neoreactionaries came to LessWrong. I think he's lazy enough for that to be true. Is it?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Reflections85 posted:

loving lol. What was that? Has Sandifers book gotten this under his skin? Does he realize how mad he sounds? Like drat. Why does he feel the need to vague blog about it?
Also Divabot, I think he quoted you in an earlier post and claimed that he stopped moderating before the neoreactionaries came to LessWrong. I think he's lazy enough for that to be true. Is it?

Sounds pretty plausible actually. Who the gently caress wants to be a forum moderator, after all.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Just to make sure, that's not a parody tumblr or anything, right? The only thing I saw to push it one way or the other is a plug for his dumb book.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Can't believe CUCKliezer still hates free speech

-something no neoreactionary is going to say like they would about a prig prog commie doing the same thing

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

cuk cuk

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

The back cover should just be this post, unedited.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This is beautiful.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
That is honestly Yudkowsky's actual Tumblr. Read the notes on the post, even the rationalists who hate Phil are facepalming. As Phil notes:

quote:

Wait. This means that Yudkowsky’s last three posts on Tumblr have been about my book.

A man who has literally not posted about anything other than my book since March is telling people not to talk about my book.

He's done a roundup of reviews so far. Good title.

David Severa (sorta-tumblr-Rationalist) notes:

quote:

It’s a real shame that no one in the history of civilization has managed to create a subculture that could withstand a book being written about it.

The Kickstarter is slowing down, obviously someone needs to get a copy to Dylan Matthews at Vox.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
We've hit all the initial stretch goals, and for a project this niche that's pretty impressive.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Pope Guilty posted:

We've hit all the initial stretch goals, and for a project this niche that's pretty impressive.

Dude, just $13k and we get a magickal ritual to banish the alt-right! That's a pretty good deal!

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Pope Guilty posted:

The back cover should just be this post, unedited.

I'm trying to think of something better to put there, but nothing comes to mind.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

divabot posted:

Dude, just $13k and we get a magickal ritual to banish the alt-right! That's a pretty good deal!

I can't believe we're only $5,000 away from seeing Marxist deconstructionist magick!

(The real magic is the book we bought along the way.)

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Peztopiary posted:

and at least one Muslim convert dude who doesn't seem to notice he's in the wrong place.

Actually, most neoreactionaries and alt-right people would actually really love Wahhabism if it weren't for the fact that they hate anyone who isn't white. Jim most of all.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

eatenmyeyes posted:

I'm trying to think of something better to put there, but nothing comes to mind.

I once heard a version of Mr Sandman (Bring Me a Dream) which had been overdubbed with a man crying deeply in the background for the whole song

it's basically the soundtrack to posts like Yud's for me

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

http://www.eruditorumpress.com/blog/why-eliezer-yudkowsky-should-back-neoreaction-a-basilisk-a-bayesian-case/

lol

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

That was funny enough that I was convinced to throw my :10bux: towards the kickstarter. I really want to see the next stretch goal, with the gamergate essay on his blog.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Phil Sandifer posted:

And anyway, my accomplishments as a magician are at least as compelling as MIRI's accomplishments in AI research.

:iceburn:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is there a dramatis personae somewhere that explains what "alt-right" vs. "neoreactionary" vs. all these other subgroups and who represents them? This thread is kind of hard to penetrate if you're not already familiar with all this stuff.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Heath posted:

Is there a dramatis personae somewhere that explains what "alt-right" vs. "neoreactionary" vs. all these other subgroups and who represents them? This thread is kind of hard to penetrate if you're not already familiar with all this stuff.

Neoreaction is the long-winded intellectual side focused on how bad democracy is. Meanwhile, the alt-right crystallized on 4chan and focuses on pithy phrases and is obsessed with ethnic purity. There's obviously a lot of overlap, but the alt-right tweets a lot more.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
So it turns out that a childhood friend has gone full NRx in the last year or so.

This is one of those, heard from my mother, who was told by his mother things. Turns out not only does he super support Trump but he also believes: Women shouldn't hold jobs, Black people shouldn't hold jobs (and it has to be assumed he thinks that for all minorities), that the refugee crisis is a new crusade by the Muslim hordes, and he's going to go spend a year in Europe (Eastern Europe) to "write" about the Refugee situation.

Also this guy is a history and language teacher at an All Girls Catholic High School.

We've had this guy over for Thanksgiving for the last few years because of family reasons. His mother and mine are close friends and She's been having a tough couple of years. Now we find out that the kid has been part of that. We're pretty sure it's the father that's been feeding him this poo poo. The father is also the one who is paying for the European trip.

:sigh: The dude is really smart. Knows like 12 languages, knows a lot of history, and as far as I knew was a great guy. Kind of a shocker. Now we're just wondering if he's going to get himself arrested or killed over in Europe. Either by picking a fight with a refugee or by pulling some lovely stunt like doing Nazi Salutes in Germany.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Crain posted:

:sigh: The dude is really smart. Knows like 12 languages, knows a lot of history, and as far as I knew was a great guy. Kind of a shocker. Now we're just wondering if he's going to get himself arrested or killed over in Europe. Either by picking a fight with a refugee or by pulling some lovely stunt like doing Nazi Salutes in Germany.

Doesn't preclude anyone from being a fart-huffer (would peditospirator be a good pseudo-Latin medical term?). The most academic neoreactionaries are either from the humanities or from STEM fields, and being any more educated than the average alt-right / NRx shithead didn't change a thing.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Like any tool, education is only as good as how it's used.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
Academic and career credentials are not barriers to cranks. As Moldbug's Urbit garbage shows, even people whose long experience in a field means they should be able to smell horseshit when they see it can be gigantic crackpots.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
The smarter you are, the more easily you can come up with logical contortions/justifications for horrible poo poo.
It offers no protection from assholery.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Yeah, I guess.

Honestly our current theory is just that the dudes had a pretty lovely couple of years and fell for the "WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE PRIVILEDGE!? MY LIFE SUCKS AND IT'S ALL THOSE [Others] FAULT!" trap.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
I don't think Curtis Yarvin's life sucked either before or after Peter Thiel threw a million bucks at him.

(e: in terms of material needs that is)

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Small Frozen Thing posted:

The smarter you are, the more easily you can come up with logical contortions/justifications for horrible poo poo.
It offers no protection from assholery.

Same reason why otherwise smart, successful people get into things like anti-vaxx. Because they're competent in one area, they assume that competence extends to unrelated areas. That's how you get things like mechanical engineers arguing that evolution is false.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

BobHoward posted:

I don't think Curtis Yarvin's life sucked either before or after Peter Thiel threw a million bucks at him.

(e: in terms of material needs that is)

Honestly, the material doesn't matter as much as the mental. I expect a lot of reactionary types have some kind of undiagnosed depression or other issues; I can remember feeling a lot of "I am unhappy and hate my life" growing up despite basically having one of the best situations ever. (And knowing it.)

Things improved immensely once I got on SSRIs and started being able to wrangle with the dumb poo poo coming out of my brain.

I think a lot of reactionaries just assume that "I'm not happy because of these other people loving things up." If they got everything they wanted, they'd probably still be unhappy, because the problem is their brains loving with them.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Well I agree it's probably depression for some, I definitely think others, being smart and probably growing up somewhere where they were the smartest child in school, have a pathological need to be special that basically drives them to taking increasingly niche positions on things in order to subconsciously "react," in a literal sense, to any sort of idea's popularity. Then they write a bunch of :words: to show (to both themselves and to others) that they actually reached the conclusion "objectively." A lot of their opinions seem specifically structured to be intentionally unpopular, designed to never ever be something that would even become somewhat mainstream.

Source: I behaved like this for a while :smith:

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
I know this is a year old, but Vox.com did an interview with an MRA. I think it's interesting how, despite their godawful shitburger beliefs, neoreactionaries often live relatively comfortable, uninteresting lives.

Like, reading their posts, you'd think NRxers were personally assaulted by Andrea Dworkin before walking in on their wife literally cμckolding them with an immigrant, but no, they're the least interesting people in the world, and the most stress they've ever experienced is the time they studied for the SAT.

Also:

All women are sluts posted:

She is wearing what I can only describe as a perfectly ordinary outfit for a waitress: white blouse, black jacket, black pants. Max has a more elaborate take: "It's like halfway between modest and revealing. Adjust for social morals and it's, like, Victorian. She wants dignity. She wants to be chased. Same time. And fine, that's how it's always been, but I bet she'd say, ‘I didn't wear this for you!' Like: yes you did. Not because she wants to sleep with me. It's to get tips. But when you go out later, it's to attract a guy.

"Wearing business casual? You slut!"

Every time I read an MRA’s extended thoughts on everyday stuff, it’s like they’re a space alien who doesn’t quite grasp how humans work, but are utterly convinced they’ve got this poo poo figured out.

Edit: The above couple posts actually explain the "resentful despite comfortable lives" thing.

Curvature of Earth has a new favorite as of 05:48 on May 15, 2016

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Curvature of Earth posted:

Like, reading their posts, you'd think NRxers were personally assaulted by Andrea Dworkin before walking in on their wife literally cμckolding them with an immigrant, but no, they're the least interesting people in the world, and the most stress they've ever experienced is the time they studied for the SAT.

It's the same reason for the wackos on the other end of the political spectrum: If you don't experience a lot of real suffering, your threshold gets warped, and then it's "feminazi stole my ice cream" and "I am oppressed by nobody using my special bunself pronouns" time.

They're legitimately suffering, in that it's worse than anything they've had to deal with, but it's more an indication they need soe coping skills and probably to go outside for a while.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
That's an oversimplification.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Milo Yiannopoulos is my favorite 'alt-right' thinker.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Immortan posted:

Milo Yiannopoulos is my favorite 'alt-right' thinker.

that's nice dear

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Small Frozen Thing posted:

that's nice dear

Who's yours?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Immortan posted:

Who's yours?

If NRx counts as part of the alt-right, then probably Moldbug. He's style-over-substance and it would be horrible if pretty much any of his ideas were actually implemented, but fortunately, in its undiluted form, Moldbuggery is self-defeating. His opposition to mass politics or "direct action" of any sort mean that any attempt at a "practical" proposal to abolish the current US political system or whatever from him is either "maybe it will happen on its own" wishful thinking or a silly science fiction premise.

At some point, though, NRx got more and more entangled with the alt-right proper, which is actually scary in real life. I miss the silly windbags.

Milo is a great example of the scary-in-real-life thing; he works for a semi-major media outlet that's pushing someone who will almost certainly be a major party's nominee for president. Clearly Milo isn't even close to being the main thing driving Trump (polls show Trump supporters skew pretty old, after all), but it's still disturbing how much he touches on the "real world."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The fat one in the tub is mine because his life is an unmitigated loving nightmare and he doesn't even try to hide it. Also Aurini is clinically depressed and just wrote a blog about contemplating suicide, which was an absolute pleasure to read in that it showed me what an empty cowardly projecting piece of poo poo he is underneath his preposterous affectations and failed toxic masculinity.