Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
DM'd dnd 5 for the first time today. I didn't have a ton of time to prepare (like 20 minutes) so I decided to do a pretty basic dungeon crawl. PCs shelter in a cave for the night, the cave is a magical locus being abused by kuo-toa to summon their God, and they need 4 sacrifices to complete the ritual. The cave "wakes up" and asks the PCs for help disrupting the ritual. The PCs discover a giant underground lake with a friendly fish the size of a house inside, hop inside his mouth, and use him as a battering ram to flood the Kuo-toa sanctum and make the cave kami whole again.

I think probably my favorite part of DMing is going to be reskinning old stories to fit within the fantasy universe we've made up. Anyone have any good stories where the PCs are unwittingly protagonists in modern movies or stories?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The homebrewed Dungeons and Dragons campaign setting that I play in hit a major milestone last night.

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, there once was a celestial being named Az who assisted an god who had been kicked out of their own pantheon on another plane and decided to take over this one. The god was defeated and Az was thrown into darkness by being imprisoned inside his own mind. His name wiped from all texts and tomes and forgotten by the mortals. He had been forgotten for over 2000 years, so when “The Cult of the Burning Eye” showed up 100 years ago and started talking about how “all gods are just an aspect of the One True God” a few people started to worship that god, who eventually revealed his name to be Az. And because he’s slowly gaining power again, all the tomes and texts that once had his name written inside are reverting to their “original” form. So there’s now a whole bunch of ancient scrolls and tomes out there that are suddenly showing this “new” demigod and are throwing the organized religions for a loop. At the moment, there’s a conclave forming of all the major religious groups and organizations to determine if this “forgotten” god should become an official member of the world’s pantheon. This has the gods themselves worried because of an ancient prophecy that stated “when the Eye turns upon the gods, the gods themselves will fall.” So in response, the gods have begun giving their power directly to a few select Clerics and Paladins, as well as any other “worthy” mortals, so if they do fall their divinity can live on and perhaps allow them to “reform” somewhere down the line.

Our group has spent the last few sessions getting to this conclave. Our company’s goal is make sure the Pantheon knows that Az isn’t an old god or a lost god, but a powerful celestial who is masquerading as a god and somehow able to grant his clerics domains, spheres, and spells, and because of this deception should not officially recognize him as part of their pantheon. The conclave is being held in an old observatory that was once used by Cabalists to keep an eye on the Wilder when it was known as the Wilderland, an area of wild magic and surges for centuries until it was tamed. As we arrive, the majordomo in charge of the conclave sees our group and welcomes up. “I am glad that you have arrived. Now that the final delegation is here, we can begin.”

“Who’s the final delegation,” our Bard, Skeever, asks.

“Why…you are. You’re the delegate for Halaal.”

Halaal. The Bronze Draconic God of Muses, Trickery, and Humor. She decided that our Bard, a lizardman who had just finished turning into a bronze Dragonborn (to bring this world, Tanicus, up to 5e), was going to be her voice at this conclave. Her idea of a joke…

His response? “So I am! Yes, I am the representative for Halaal!”

“And who is your assistant for this conclave?”

“That would be this man right here, Varis, the Lightning Lord!”

“I see, and is ‘Lightning Lord’ an official title?”

“N…”

“Of COURSE it is!”

“Very well.” And the party (who are also the evidence givers against the delegation of Az) are brought into the main room. There are currently representatives from twenty-three other gods sitting in the room waiting for us to begin – six from the pantheon of Light, six from the pantheon of Dark, six from the pantheon of Balance, and six from the Draconic pantheon. After we’re announced (my title of “Lightning Lord” made the cleric for Dyanae, the Storm Queen, and the cleric for the Draconic God of Destruction, Garyx, a blue dragon who was so ancient he simply became a god one day, raise their eyebrows), we sit down and opening remarks are made. The room is under a Zone of Truth so people can only speak to what they truly believe. Now, our GM did something very clever. He took a page out of the Rise of Tiamut adventure and made a matrix for all 24 gods. Some gods were going to vote one way, some gods were going to vote the other, but for those who COULD be swayed he made a list of the key words, phrases, pieces of evidence, and actions that would push them in one direction or another. If we got more than three net pluses/minuses due to our actions and their initial standings, then the delegate for that god would vote in that direction.

And I will say this for our GM. He had to come up with TWENTY THREE original delegates, because he knew there was a good chance we’d talk to as many of them as possible. So he came up with twenty three names, races, and personalities for them. The delegate for Siyri, the Blessed Lady and goddess of mercy, was a quickling who spoke WAY too fast and sounded incredibly morose and depressed when she had to slow down. The delegate for Roan, the Keeper of the Book and god of commerce and community, was about proper discourse and discussion and we lost favor with them when our characters spoke when they didn’t hold the floor. The delegate for Qord, the Vile Betrayer and god of decay and the undead, deserves special mention - Charr the Thrice-Burned, a Death Knight in burned armor with glowing red eyes. Which cause our Rogue to scream “drat IT, MY PALADIN KILLED HIM DURING THE LAST CAMPAIGN!” Indeed, in the last Tanicus campaign Charr the Twice-Burned was a major adversary and was the personal enemy of the PC’s Paladin, but Qord granted him a second chance at unlife.

We didn’t roll a single die the entire five-hour session. It was nothing but talking, speeches, talking during the downtimes, and making our cases. Lightbringer Wainwright, the head of Az’s delegation, refused to recognize the authority or power of the conclave. All he asked…nay demanded…was that his followers, missionaries, and preachers, be granted the same rights and protections that were granted to the followers of the other religions. He revealed the “truth” behind Az – that there was another continent (which had been discovered about 20 years previous, but getting their involved some very tricky sailing and only the furblogs had the ships to make it there and they weren’t revealing their maps) where the old gods had been abandoned and the church of Az held sway, and that WAY back at the beginning of the cosmos there weren’t two gods (Io, the Goddess of Justice, and Kaos, the God of…well, Chaos) but three – Io, Kaos, and Az, the God of Balance. Kaos was locked away, Io left for a new plane of existence, and Az was forgotten. Over time, Tanicus had these new gods develop, but none of them knew who Az was. And it’s because the 18 gods of Light/Dark/Balance are actually portions of Az’s power that were stolen/borrowed from him. He doesn’t want the power back, all he wants is recognition.

So it’s pantheonism vs. monotheism…except the monotheistic god wants revenge on the gods who locked him away but is telling everyone that he doesn’t…

If Az gets 2/3rd’s of the votes for recognition, that means his followers can establish churches, preach without fear of persecution in ANY nation, and collect tithes. So pretty much, if a tiny crack in his mental prison can give him enough power to convert an entire continent, what happens when a LOT of people believe in him? Our company’s evidence that Az was not who he said he was consisted of…

- Our Monk producing the book from her order’s library that contained the first modern mention of Az.

- Our Paladin explaining that our party had seen Az converting people under the noses of other gods, of towns where the temples to the old gods were all but abandoned but the cult of Az’s buildings were bursting to overflowing. This caught some of the delegates off guard because they had no idea how far Az’s word had spread.

- Noting that Az had has sent celestials masquerading as angels of OTHER gods to provide assistance and guidance under false pretenses (this was my PC’s pitch and this got a lot of people in all the pantheons grumbling about “blasphemy”)

- Pointing on that Az wouldn’t be gathering new followers…he’d be converting followers of other gods as he did with Seane, weakening their influence (this was also my pitch. I managed to convince the God of War by saying “you claim you want bloodshed. Do you want blood to be spilled in the name of Caradoc or in the name of Az?”)

- Skeever’s big pitch, the reason we were here…that war against Az isn’t coming. Everything that’s been happening throughout the world has been because of Az and his influence. Holy wars, missionaries killing missionaries, the incursion of new races such as ratkin and the Drow, it’s all through Az. War against Az is already here and this is just the opening skirmish. So do you want to fight him at half-power or full power? It was a masterpiece of a five minute speech from Skeever, with the player actually WRITING the speech during the Conclave in response to what people were saying.

Some of the highlights of the other gods responses were…

quote:

Seane, the Golden Orb, god of the sun – “Az has stolen my followers. Kill them all.”

Siyri, the Blessed Lady, goddess of mercy – “I believe in mercy. I believe in redemption. Give Az a second chance.”

Faylinn, the Stern Teacher, goddess of magic – “Balance must be maintained. Without knowing which pantheon Az will belong to, I cannot vote for him.”

Bile, the Wolf of Winter, god of wolves and winter – “He was cast out into the darkness. Let him stay there.”

Caradoc, the Foul Destroyer, god of battle and conquest – “Let him come. The sooner Az is on the field, the sooner the war will begin.”

Caitria, the Lady of Pain, goddess of vengeance – “If Az seeks vengeance, then he should be able to seek it. If it is just, the gods will lose. If it is false, Az will lose.”

Tiamut, Draconic Goddess of Chromatic Dragons – *stands up* “Tiamut does NOT share power.” *sits down*

Garyx, the Draconic God of Destruction – “BRING IT! THIS WORLD SHOULD BURN! IT ISN’T BURNING NOW! GARYX WILL IGNITE THE FIELDS AND EAT THE FISHMONGERS! HE WILL DRINK THE SLURRY OF THE MOUNTAINS AND REVEL IN THE ASHES OF THE GODS! BRING IT! BRING IT! BRING IT! THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!”

It was really neat to see that the gods of light didn’t all vote for “good” and the gods of dark didn’t all vote for “evil.” The GM has fleshed out the pantheon over 25+ years so they’re “breathing” and aren’t stereotypes.

Our group was really afraid we were going to lose. However, Skeever brilliantly managed to get the conclave to switch the question around. Instead of “should Az be recognized as part of the official pantheon of Tanicus,” he convinced the delegates to break it down into two questions.

1 – Should the persecution of the followers of Az be condoned? The informal vote broken down into 15 to stop persecution, 9 to allow the persecution to continue. So all we have to do is flip one person and the bloodshed will stop, which is something our party wants as it will delay Az’s excuse for a holy war.

2 – Should Az be recognized as an official god of Tanicus’ pantheon? This one is split down the middle 12-12. So we have a lot of work ahead of us…

I should mention two things. One, the delegate for Citira, goddess of vengeance, is one Stannis Grumgate (my GM never has read or seen Game of Thrones and didn’t understand why we laughed. The same when he introduced the delegate for Dyanae, the Storm Queen, as Admiral Rusty Shackleforth, although I think for this one he’s screwing with us). It turns out he’s the brother of my father, but he is most specifically NOT my uncle. Because my father, a human with draconic blood, married an elf and had me, a half-elf draconic Sorcerer, and mixed marriages/mixed children are forbidden under the laws of the country of Corvis. My “uncle” reported my brother, hunted him, arrested him, and stood next to him as the executioner cut his head off. My mother is a whore and I’m a bastard half-breed in his eyes. Citira demands that anyone who might seek vengeance against one of her clerics is given the chance to do so, and as such he informed me point blank that he was my father’s brother, was responsible for his death, and expects me to seek my revenge immediately upon completion of the Conclave.

Two, our Eldrtich Knight comes from a very ancient and powerful elven bloodline. A bloodline that has served Kaos and evil for nearly their entire lives. She is the only one in her family who is of Good alignment and has sworn a blood oath to eliminate the rest of her family…to the point where Annwn, the Dark Lady and the Dark goddess who has final say over any and all resurrections on Tanicus, allowed her to be raised from the dead because “she sends more powerful souls to me than anyone else on the planet” and Citira, goddess of Vengeance, both keep her under their protection even though she is of Good alignment. Her grandmother is one of the Big Bads of our campaign – three thousand years old, an incredibly powerful Wizard who is also the consort of the Lich King, the oldest and most powerful magic user on Tanicus, and a woman who has twice nearly wiped out all of elven civilization.

So when Lightbringer Wainwright comes in with the delegation of Az, guess who turns out to be HIS assistant?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
:munch:

Your DM is rad.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I would give up my file cabinets full of gaming notes, books reference materials and whatnot to be a player in this campaign. I poo poo you not.

This and CoffeeBinge's Star Wars campaign...

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

xian posted:

Played in a Discord game of Masks last night with some goons.
I played the Bearer book which we hacked slightly on the fly and ended up with Star Knight, a high school athlete given a nanite cloud and the task by the Space CIA (called special circumstances) to prove to them that Earth shouldn't be destroyed, though he didn't know they were setting him up to fail

We ended by defending our school from Demonbat, the Demonbat.

Anyway i had a lot of fun.

I'm in this game; we added a new player this session. Rohan the Legacy joined the team as Brahmin, which delighted some team members ("Yay! Another Indian!") and pissed off those same ones ("Nice codename, Captain Stereotype."). Brahmin was, unbeknownst to the public, experimented on by his father, which left him with Shadow Powers similar to the ones his dad got in an accident.

We started off in our base, which was a top floor penthouse paid for with the Superman 2 hacking trick. After last week's heroes, Naryati (aka RE:VOLT, ersatz team leader) had hooked up with Ryan (Star Knight), even using her gadget skills to build him a new costume. They asked Rohan why he didn't have a girlfriend yet, and he explained...his father, Dr. Singh, forbade it. It was too distracting.

Well, the team widely mocked him, and though he tried to stand up for himself, it made him insecure*.

[*Mechanically, his freak went up and his mundane went down, and he gained the condition Insecure. Insecure makes it harder to unleash your powers.]

The team was called to a fire in the warehouse district, and while they initially did well (RE:VOLT hacking ATMs for security footage and, at the same time, fraud info), the costumed Twintails hitting a villain with her bike, and Star Knight knocking a reappearing Demonbat out of the sky...

Brahman got grabbed by Tarantula. Who tried to squeeze Brahman. His teammates would've helped, but superthug Dust Might was dragging security guards through the flames.

What ended up happening was RE:VOLT opening a fire hydrant and, with Star Knight's help, spraying down the entire area. Brahman clouded Dust Might's mind with shadow. When he tried to do this to Tarantula, he unleashed his powers...

And EVERY light went out.
The fire.
The streetlights. Even the moonlight was caught.

Meanwhile, Brahman got sent to the shadow dimension while his teammates, alternately furious and afraid, finished off the villains.

Maybe that "no girlfriend thing" made sense...

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 19, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Not a very in-depth story, but it was really cathartic when the Binder's Phantasmal Killer finally went off and save-or-die'd a monster after three sessions of attempts.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

From the Fellowship thread:

Setting generation in Fellowship is rad.

Our world is an Archipelago with Hawaiian Kobolds and Germanic Barbarian Halflings. The Empire is a far flung London-expy, the mer-elves control the sea lanes, and the Dwarves were created by the God of Battle. Unfortunately, the God made them too well; they ate him and live on the island of his hollowed-out scorpion body.

So, after capturing the Big Bad in a relatively simple arrest, we're taking him back to human lands for judgment. The Kobold, Archimedes "Big" Zard was ambushed by his brother-in-law who threw him off the ship! Luckily, the team interfered, allowing Archimedes to defeat the giant killer with an Act of Legend.
He clubbed his sister's husband so hard he flew off the ship, over the skyline, and crashed through the roof of his own house. His wife presumably yelled at him, since there's only one person who can launch folks that far.
---
We 3 players around so we did a sidequest to a Mer-Elf city state.

Highlights:

-The elf convincing sharks not to eat us while we hid under a giant crab, emphasizing the Dwarf's bug-chitin armor;
-The Kobold trying to scare off some Pirate Ghosts and failing. This led to the Dwarf challenging the captain one on one, then fighting him Dwarf Style, aka "wear him out by circling for an hour". This led the elf to get bored and try to turn invisible and try the "push'em over your back" technique...which failed. The Kobold lent an extra die...and it still failed.
which led to an all out brawl against the ghosts, who nearly escaped with the Dwarf. Instead, the Kobold & Elf worked together to create an underwater vortex, which trapped the ghosts long enough to negotiate! They agreed to aid the Fellowship if they re-stole the treasure that'd been stolen by the Elven Masterini Maserati family.

So we decided to do a heist, and realized we were doing an aquatic version of Ocean's 11.

The heist had a few components:
-The Kobold and Dwarf sneak into an antiques shop and ask questions;
-The Elf has tea with the mark's daughter;
-The Dwarf stalks the vault guard, using the elve's natural snobbery to hide in his shadow;
-The Kobold and a second dwarf, dressed as the first, establish an alibi during the heist. They do this by yelling each other's names and starting a bar brawl.

Also, certain elf villas have Air Rooms, similar to pools or saunas, for guests. We established Everything elven floats, so the end of the heist is to cut a hole in the vault roof and let it scatter to the surface.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
I thought the backer Masks weren't out yet? The Bearer and poo poo.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

That's a custom one someone made, it's in the g+ group.
Someone else in the group is making the Reformed so we may see it early too, I'll post if it happens.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Scion FATE tonight, drat.

The current party was:
- Stig - Scion of Odin played by me. The closest thing to a "straight man" the group has, since he at least TRIES to use his powers subtly.
- Constantine - Scion of his Exalted character from a previous campaign. Gullible as hell, pretty much obsessed with being an anime protagonist.
- Cortek - Scion of himself, based off of Warhammer Orks. Doesn't speak or understand a word of english, is an enormous green ork, and his character is the epitome of Chaotic Stupid. You can literally boil him down to: "Can I eat it? Can I fight it? WAAAAUUUGGGHHH!!" So, I suppose he's in character, I've never played Warhammer.

So, I don't update frequently enough to do a proper recap, plus this was the first time we've played in almost 2 months.
Basically, we're in Las Vegas, and we're following up a lead from something that happened way back when we first arrived, when we were attacked by a Shadow Entity.
The investigations failed when a player from the last session, a Scion of Neil Gaiman's Death character with a serious case of denial about the fact that she's evil as hell, panicked after being attacked by a hostile spirit, and purged every spirit in the area. Since she channeled a ton of her Death powers into doing it, it also had the side effect of killing a bunch (all) of the nearby sick and elderly as well, which understandably caused some panic in the city.

Tonight's session began with that particular debriefing, and the Scion that was in charge of things to send a supernatural swat team after her, since she did just murder several hundred, if not thousand, people.
Cortek wakes up in the desert, where he had been knocked out in a previous encounter, and decides he wants some Humie food. But not before mugging and assaulting the news team that had come out to investigate the explosions he had helped cause before being knocked out.
Arriving in the city, he manages to buy out the contents of a hot dog stand, handing over all of the Fivedollars he had stolen from the news crew and motioning towards the food.
Since he's a 10 foot tall Ork wandering the streets, it doesn't take long for him to be surrounded by police and bystanders, all of whom are armed with guns and smartphones respectively.
The police open fire, he defends himself by picking up a car to shield himself, and the police decide to retreat when he kills a few of them with it.

Meanwhile, Constantine has been led to a Trump rally. See, Connie comes from a proud clan of warrior gods from some other world, he's basically Autistic PTSD Superman, and his character trouble is "Accidental Racist."
So, when he goes on and on about being the right sort of person and how certain folks just aren't as good as others, it gets taken the wrong way, and since he has no idea how earth culture works, he doesn't realize that what he's saying isn't what they're hearing/vice versa.

On stage, he gets attacked by Trump's hair, which is actually a Titan spawn. I'm in the crowd, having been looking for him, but before I can get there to help (admittedly because I might have been filming it on my phone as I made my way towards the stage, trusting in him to be able to protect himself, since I know full well how strong he is in a fight), he decides the best way to deal with some sort of parasite latching onto your face is to jump off the stage as hard as he can and slam his face into the ground. He has Mythic Strength. He unleashes a shock wave that kills several people and brings the building down on top of everyone, killing hundreds/thousands more.
He completely and utterly believes that he didn't kill anyone, since he was just defending himself.

Knowing full well that Cortek is loose in the city, and Connie is the only one who can communicate with him, I grab him and we manage to gather up Cortek.
We decide to regroup at the hotel where some other Scions (NPCs) we've worked with are based at. Arriving at the hotel, Cortek sees a food truck and raids it, breaking into the back and devouring everything. At least until the sniper bullet hits him. Turns out that people take it poorly when two of your party members cause millions of dollars in property damage and cause massive loss of human life, especially when everyone is on edge from the wave of sudden and simultaneous deaths from the last session.

To everyone's surprise, he didn't have any sort of Supernatural Toughness, and he has to take a consequence to stay in. Connie and I fail our Alertness checks to realize he got shot.
Some moments later, Connie gets shot as well, and again, we are surprised to learn that he has no Supernatural Toughness either. He also takes a consequence, and then decides to grab the food truck Cortek is in, and run the whole thing through the front of the hotel lobby door, in order to get them away from enemy fire.

This bullet, I manage to notice, and I start looking for the sniper so I know where to have my flying van take me. Luckily, the van is also made of mythril, with magically reinforced windows, because a bullet shows up in the windshield, around where my forehead was.

The van takes off, and Cortek manages to dash out of the building and grab onto it, hitching a ride. We both leap through the window and end up in the room adjacent to the sniper's room.
I burst through the wall, armed with my massive Pyramid Head sword, banking on the element of surprise and my character's remarkable talent with words to get some information.
Unfortunately, I don't surprise them enough, and they're able to set off a smokebomb, thinking to ambush me. A magical burst of wind blowing out the window solves that problem, and I attempt to get some dialogue going.

"Now, I'm not angry with you. Just disappointed. We can either talk this out, or, you can keep trying to creep up on me with that butterknife, and I'll show you what a real weapon can do."

It's at this precise moment that Cortek, who also wields a large sword, bursts into the room, and immediately shows them what a real weapon can do.
He cleaves one of the soldiers in half (they're both mortals), and does so with enough force (Mythic Strength, +6 Skill in Weapons, Weapon 3 Great Sword, plenty of tagged aspects, because we all throw around Fate points like they were on sale) to collapse the next couple floors below us. In fact, the floor doesn't stop collapsing until the Scion of Ares (Victor) parries Cortek's sword with his own weapon, informing us that any time to talk had long passed.

I manage to debuff the holy hell out of Victor with use of my Infuriate skill, forcing him to take Social stress while I rip into him about how he spent the campaign up until this point getting his rear end handed to him by a one-armed old man, while Cortek just swings at him.
He tries to hit us both with Wall of Death, but doesn't land any substantial blows, meanwhile Cortek and I manage to both land solid hits with our own weapons, while I continue to lay on the Social stress.

Cortek decides to end things, dumping a ton of points into an Orkomancy spell, knocking Victor through a few buildings, one of which is used as a club during this chain attack.
In reply, Victor uses the War Form ability to turn into a giant aspect of War, summoning missiles from the air and trying to go all out on us.

Unfortunately, the fight doesn't last long from there, since Cortek and Connie's players are wanting to wrap things up.
Cortek and I pretty much just dodge, and before either of us get a turn to really act, Constantine shows up and opens up his own finishing move.
Since this was plot relevant, and what the ST was hoping would happen: Constantine goes full anime. He uses his father's Signature Attack, the Shining First Bullet, which annihilates Victor, along with the entire western seaboard. California literally doesn't exist anymore.
See, although Constantine's father is technically a god in this univere, in the previous iteration of the universe, he was an Exalt. But, that was supposed to have been altered at the beginning of this universe so that he could be part of it, so the fact that Constantine is able to channel an Exalt power has hit the Oh poo poo button for every god in every pantheon, because the one thing they can all 100% agree on is that the Exalts can NOT return.
Constantine just became Enemy Number 1 to every god and Scion on earth. And since we're known associates of his and have had extensive contact with him, Stig, Cortek, and the other PCs are on the same poo poo list.

the_steve fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 2, 2016

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Today's game of Hollyworld, the Tinseltown RPG, went weird, but the two weirdest bits:

-An Earthquake not significantly disrupting production;
-The fake-gay-for-my-career actor accepting a date with Paul Marcarelli, the "Can You Hear Me Now" guy. Paul, despite being married, was persuaded to go as his own (fake) twin brother.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Had a really great WW2-Oneshot game with my group today, testing "The Front", an OSR Hack.

Started it up as "generic american soldiers shipped to europe to fight the Nazis".
We began in the good ol´US of A, in a Bootcamp somewhere in Kentucky. Players rolled their stats,
afterwards I made them take some bullshit attribute checks, claiming it would be their "Aptitiude Test",
offering character classes based on their results on these checks.

Despite some initial protest, this worked really well. Afterwards, our guys get their first
night on the town to resolve some tension. Afterwards, they are quickly shipped to England.

Ahh, good ol´england. Sitting with the rest of the unit somewhere in London makes for a boring
stay. And already there´s some talk of them getting shipped to Africa or possibly Italy, where the
allied forces have had some success with AVALANCHE.

Suddenly, during the early hours of the next day, they are suddenly awoken by their unit commander,
put into place and need to get dressed and onto a boat. At this point they already fear that the germans
might have done something stupid, but then realize that it´s a landing boat.

The first player gulps. Then I tell them, how the weathers bad, and their Sarge tells them to cool down,
run like hell and keep their head down. Only then does the rest realize. Then I start up the
"Normandy Landing Beach Battle Ambience". Bombs. People dying around them. Machinegun fire,
coastal fortifications firing. And it´s deafeningly loud at first.

After the first few shocking seconds they get out of the board and onto ground. Already almost
their whole unit is decimated down to them and maybe a handful of others. As they run like hell,
the constant barrage of the beach fortifications, sniper fire and the danger of moving even one meter
out of cover leads to terrible scenes as the witness heroic, yet ultimately pointless sacrifices of comrades
dying in the face of the situation.

Finally they reach a point where they cannot advance past the beach bunker fortifications
and have to storm a bunker, while witnessing the german troops behind the initial beach landing
and seeing the airborne troopers getting shot down, often before getting even close to the ground.

However, having made a safe landing means D-Day is happening. *Timeskip*

A few in-game hours later, they are sitting in a captured Kubelwagen on their way to the
closest german position, as they have gotten a special assignment. Find some of the
heavy weaponry supplies dropped for the paratroopers that was lost by the brass in
some small french village the germans are more heavily defending than would be normal.

Already suspicious of my words, especially after Normandy, they begin sneaking into the
town after making initial reconnaissance runs, circumventing a machine gun nest, only to
later eliminate it anyway. At this point they have most of their remaining group with them,
named and characterized by the players for additional impact.

They find that the drop point of the supply drop is an old french church in the centre of the town,
heavily fortified by the germans with several machine gun emplacements, sandsacks and
a TIGER PANZER.

poo poo hits the fan, as they scramble for cover, when the first shoot simply pulverizes poor
Private Schmidt as well as part of their cover. However they successfully sneak away,
trying to get into an encirclement position. At this time I introduce HERR DOKTOR and
his pet bodyguard. HELMUT. Herr Doktor, a little Mengele of sorts with a superhuman
agenda, and his aryan UBERMENSCH Helmut are talking about the soon to follow victory
of the Third Reich, even in the face of the FUHRERs order to stop "the experiments".

However, Herr Doktor decides against it, claiming, the arrival of "DIE AMERIKANER" allows
him a much greater supply of bodies to use in his UBERMENSCH program. Already the players
are really creeped out and want to shoot this guy. However, a sudden sniper attack by the team
sniper fails, as he critically fails his target shot. Herr Doktor, happy to see more "TEST-SUBJEKTE"
appear sends HELMUT after them. In the ensuing firefight helmut crushes some of the NPC
privates while the TIGER, taking on Cpl.Banks (Player Team Leader) who charges suicidally after
seeing most of his company slaughtered by the german elite forces, makes red dust of him.

The rest of the soldiers are taken captive and brought to Herr Doktors personal "Wolfenstein".
The Castle of St.Michel. (Warning, fictional) Awakening to the screams of their comrade
being made into a Zombie Soldier for Herr Doktor. Afterwards, being warned by Herr Doktor, that
they will soon follow, he leaves them with a guard, while checking on why the light constantly flickers.

Already one of the players has freed himself of his restraints and they overcome the guard, attempting
to escape find that they were in a dungeon, reaching the castle courtyard and find that the rest of their
company is already attacking the castle, hammering the walls down with heavy artillery and
carpet bombing. As they overwhelm some of the other guards with some losses, they find some of
their missing comrades, already turned to the Zombie Legions, which ups both the horror as well as
making them really really angry at HERR DOKTOR.

Also they find that he plans to use his VZ (Vergeltungswaffe ZOMBI) that is currently starting up
atop the castle´s highest tower on New York. Of course they vow to stop it,
but they still have to best Herr Doktors elite guard and HELMUT.

A showdown begins, through the ancient halls of a great french castle through several floors upwards,
until finally they reach the roof, where Helmut and Herr Doktor awaits them. A dreadful race against time,
as the VZ countdown runs down and they fight against the monstrous UBERMENSCH bodyguard until
finally one player sacrifices himself with a belt of grenades, hurling himself down from the roof with
HELMUT to finish off the monstrosity.

Meanwhile, Herr Doktor is riddled with bullets from the others,
while the specialist attempts to disarm the VZ. However, it is too late.
The rocket launches. Target New York.

As the final two privates of the company watch the rocket flying west,
they reminisce about the past days. And we end on Pvt. Summers remarking,
that she (Summers was a women following her great love disguised as a man)
never liked New York anyway, as their fellow american troops storm the castle.

Mr.Misfit fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 2, 2016

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
(rehashing a few plot points from my earlier post as reminders)

So this week’s session of our Dungeons and Dragons game concluded the First Conclave of New Hope, where the delegates of the twenty-four gods of Tanicus were to voting on matters related to the deity known as Az, who is secretly a former member of the Host who was sealed away for helping a god from another plane of existence wage war against the pantheon, but is now somehow providing clerical power to a false religion and whose long-term goal is the complete destruction of all life on, in, and above the world). Two questions were put before the Conclave by our Bard, Skeever, who was also the delegate of Halal, Draconic God of Muses, Trickery, and Humor. During the first vote, this is how it broke down.

1 – Should the persecution of the followers of Az be condoned? The informal vote broke down as 15 voting to stop persecution, and 9 to allow the persecution to continue.

2 – Should Az be recognized as an official god of Tanicus’ pantheon? This one was split down the middle 12-12.

This week was a lot of downtime/Facebook/e-mail roleplaying as our company tried to convince the other delegates to vote the way we wanted. We wanted the persecution to stop as there were a lot of innocent people who were blindly following Az and they didn’t deserve to be slaughtered because of it, and we wanted the delegation to refuse to recognize Az in order to hopefully throw a wrench into his plans. A vital piece of information we found out during this downtime is that the word of Az was brought to the recently discovered “New World” a hundred years ago by an elven woman…who turned too be Melariese, one of our campaign’s Big Bads, the grandmother of our party’s Eldritch Knight. She’s over three thousand years old and an incredibly powerful Wizard who is also the consort of the Lich King, the oldest and most powerful magic user on Tanicus. She’s also nearly wiped out all of elven civilization twice in her lifetime because her non-elven lover was spurned by the elves, mainly because he was, you know, THE GUY WHO WOULD BECOME THE LICH KING! It was her who crossed the ocean, braving the storms and pirates, and brought the word of Az to a continent who had lost touch with the old gods. Having an entire continent worshipping any celestial being, even one locked away in an eternal prison, would give that being immense power, and that’s how Az was fueling the powers he blessed his clerics with. Melariese was at the Conclave as the assistant to Lightbringer Wainwright, delegate of Az, and made sure that we both knew she was there and that we couldn’t touch her…

So during the downtime and during the session as well…

- Skeever tried to convince the delegate of Qord, god of undeath, that Az would try to take control of the undead as he was possibly working with the Lich King. Qord’s delegate, a death knight named Charr the Thrice-Burned, responded that Az was welcome to try, but he went further and mocked Skeever for putting forth the first question. “Qord’s priests and followers are hunted down everywhere they go, regardless of whether or not they are endangering the community. Some vampires and mummies want nothing more than to be left alone but are sought out and destroyed, while others try to bring the word of Qord to those who would listen and embrace undeath over this meaningless existence. Why would we want to give solace to ANY other priest when we received none?”

- Our Paladin Fallinrae went to Myrrdin, the god of guardianship, ancestors, and redemption. His delegate stressed over and over again that all are worthy of redemption, even those who have rebelled and fallen. What followed was a fifteen minute debate over proof, balance, atonement, and what happens to those who can’t be redeemed. In the end, Fallinrae convinced the delegate to talk to his (Fallinrae’s) ancestors, those who fought Az all those years ago, and use his actions at that time as proof for or against redemption, because true guardianship can’t be blind to reality if there are some out there who truly can’ t be redeemed.

- Aeana, our Cleric of Siyri, goddess of healing and mercy, asked the delegate of Siyri why she voted for recognition. The delegate was a quickling, who are pretty much kender on speed without the kleptomania, and between eating large amounts of food and running laps inside the Conclave told her that Siyri is a goddess of mercy, and all deserved mercy even if they don’t reserve redemption. That was one of those cool moments where the pantheon of Light isn’t all in lock-step with each other, especially since Seane, the god of the sun, wants to kill all of Az’s followers and is willing to recognize the church to bring them out of hiding. But more importantly, the delegate of Siyri stated that a lot of the delegates wanted to vote AGAINST Az, but their gods are making them vote a certain way because “that is the way the conflict will unfold.”

- Ksena the monk who belongs to the order of Emanyn, goddess of the sea, and she went to talk to the delegate of Bile (pronounced “beh-lay”) to switch his vote. While planning our trip to the Conclave, a NPC monk of Bile (the god of wolves and winter) told us they he could provide a quick path through the swamps to New Hope, saving us a week if we had gone around, in return for helping him free his monastery from a siege of Bullywugs once we got through the swamp. We drove back the Bullywugs and earned the respect of the Grandmaster of Bile, who gave us a letter to give to the delegate should he not vote our way. Now, I have to point out that the NPC monk of Bile and Ksena have a…not quite an attraction, but you can see the attraction from here. To quote our Rogue “that monk’s abs have abs.” So they flirted a little bit, the NPC monk invited her…and her friends, he added at the end…back to the monastery so they can attend the festival of Wintermas in a nearby village, the festival that officially kicks off winter in Tanicus. Even though Bile is a Lawful Evil god, the people of Tanicus respect him as the “tough, fair, and necessary” god of winter and this festival is their tribute to him in return for his protection from the harshest of the winter weather. So in the process of using the letter to switch the delegate’s vote, Ksena got a very good look at the training style of Bile’s monks, which includes harsh punishments and…whippings should a student step out of line. She saw this happen when the delegate’s assistant spoke out of turn, and as Ksena left the room she saw the delegate grab a nearby whip just before the door closed. Of course…

quote:

Cullus (Rogue): So, that’s how Bile performs a courtship. Ksena, didn’t you just learn Water Whip?
Ksena: Shut up.
Varis: Now now, let’s be fair Ksena can just use the Water Whip to grab objects off of tall shelves…
Ksena: Thank you, Varis.
Varis: …like the riding crop.
Ksena: I rescind my thanks.
Cullus: Well you DO have to start small and build up to the bigger whips…
Varis: I wonder…
Ksena: Varis, I stand in front of you during combat. We make a very good team. So think very carefully about what you’re going to say.
Varis: …
Ksena: …
Varis: …
Ksena: …don’t…
Varis: So how would Flurry of Blows work?

- Cullus’ player may or may not have been able to make it to game this week, so Thursday night before our Ghostbusters game which is run by the same GM and has myself, Cullus, Ksena, and another as the players, the GM ran his scene. Cymber, the god/goddess of lies, secrets, mysteries, and twilight, had a task for him. In return for the delegate’s vote, Cullus had to take a spool of thread, sneak into the room of the delegate of Riva (whose motif involves looms and threads), replace the delegate’s spool of thread with Cymber’s spool of thread, and then sneak out, all without leaving any trace of passage. What followed was something absolutely incredible. Cullus, whose player will roll at least two natural 1’s during a session, rolled thirteen times and only failed once. Out of the twelve successes, SEVEN of them were natural 20’s. None of us could believe what we were seeing to the point where we were asking for a doppelganger check. He snuck past the Guardian of Faith, picked the lock on the door, crossed the room without setting off the sound-sensing alarm, picked the lock on the chest, failed to disarm the trap but rolled a natural 20 to resist the knockout gas, replaced the empty cylinder with a fresh one, took the thread, locked the chest, crossed the room again, snuck outside, failed to lock the door but rolled a natural 20 to realize he didn’t lock the door, locked the door, and snuck past the Guardian of Faith one more time. It was one of those scenes where if we hadn’t been there we never would have believed it. Cullus gives the thread to the delegate of Cymber…who turns out to be Cymber his/herself. When asked why he/she wouldn’t just send a delegate…

quote:

I’m the god of lies. What kind of people do you think become my clerics? I wouldn’t trust them with anything!

- Varis, my Sorcerer, had two delegates to convince. One, he had a great conversation with the delegate of Riva, god of destiny and fortune, about just how far the threads of destiny, and if Riva is trusting the delegate to make a decision, then for once it’s a mortal being weaving the destiny of a god, which made him think a bit. The second delegate…

…Genevieve Sablemoon, Chaotic Evil black dragonborn delegate of Garyx.

Basically, what happens when a Neutral Good Sorcerer and a Chaotic Evil Warrior who can’t kill each other argue philosophy (or the “god stuff” to Genevieve)? Well, it involved a lot of drinking, a whole lot of swearing (I rarely hear the GM swear in real life, however he dropped the “f” word like crazy), and an argument about physical destruction vs. mental/emotional destruction and which is better. At one point, she screamed for Varis to stab her, but I told her “no” and she either almost killed me or was going to throw me on the bed and take my PC right there (my character’s virginity as a 19-year old “off the farm” Sorcerer is a running gag in our party). I used it as an example to show her that voting no would “piss Az off just as much, and when the war comes he’ll go right for Garyx.” She just laughed, told me I was incredibly stupid but that she respected my balls at refusing to change my nature. And if we ever met on the field of battle, she would take great joy in kill me. Or, if we met elsewhere, she’s take great joy in loving me to death or to manhood. Whichever came first.

- Oh, and apparently my pseudodragon familiar spent a good bit of time in the presence of the delegates for Bahamut and Tiamat…

X X X X X

Now, we have NO clue how we’re doing. Our GM did a really good job keeping us in the dark about how things were going to shake out and keeping every delegate we talked to different and fresh. We were really worried that we had blown our shot and giving Az (and Melariese) exactly what they wanted…

First question. Vote came back 17-7, one more than the 16 we needed, although the delegate for Arwin, god of wisdom and war, added a rider that this protection does not cover secular matters, so no one can commit murder until the guise of their religion and get away with it.

Second question. Vote came back 20-4.

Basically, we had convinced people that either they needed to throw a wrench in Az’s plans, or that throwing a wrench in Az’s plans, or we had just amused them enough that they figured “oh, why the hell not?” So handshakes all around, we say our goodbyes, Melariese tells Skeever “all your company did was set things in motion sooner than expected, send my granddaughter my love.” Cullus finds out that some of the delegates have been told they he’s the Rogue to talk to if they need something…difficult done in the name of their god. Ksena gets another feather from the secret order of female monks that has “chosen, but not yet called” her…

…and Varis meets his uncle one more time. As I mentioned last time, the delegate for Citira, goddess of vengeance, is the brother of my father, but he is most specifically NOT my uncle. Because my father, a human with draconic blood, married an elf and had me, a half-elf draconic Sorcerer, and mixed marriages/mixed children are forbidden under the laws of the country of Corvis. My “uncle” reported my brother, hunted him, arrested him, and stood next to him as the executioner cut his head off. My mother is a whore and I’m a bastard half-breed in his eyes. Citira demands that anyone who might seek vengeance against one of her clerics is given the chance to do so, and as such he informed me point blank that he was my father’s brother, was responsible for his death, and expects me to seek my revenge immediately upon completion of the Conclave. He wants me to come after him, but after convincing Genevieve she didn’t need to kill him (“Bah! No one tries to properly kill anyone around here!”) we had this conversation.

quote:

Varis: Did my father break the laws of Corvis?
Stannis: He did.
Varis: Did you turn him in in accordance to the laws of Corvis?
Stannis: I did.
Varis: Did you hunt him in accordance to the laws of Corvis?
Stannis: I did.
Varis: When you stood by him as he was executed, did you do so in accordance to the laws of Corvis?
Stannis: No. I did so to restore the honor of my family after you and your whore of a mother defiled it.
Varis: I see. Then your quarrel was with my father, not with me. As such, I have no need nor a desire to seek vengeance against you. Your actions drove my mother to Dale, and all the steps I have taken since that day have been woven from that one moment. In many ways, you are the reason I am standing here in the midst of a delegation of the gods. I have no anger against you. In fact…I forgive you.

Pin drop.

The GM (as Stannis) is GLARING at me. The players have their mouths open. Cullus’ players leans over and says “Can I have your hometown once he’s finished burning it to the ground?”

quote:

Stannis: You are stubborn. And foolish to pass up this opportunity.
Varis: You have done nothing to earn my wrath. If you wish to give me an urge for vengeance, then earn my respect first. Until then, I won’t let your past actions against my father change my nature.
Stannis: Hmmm. Very well. Then I look forward to seeing you again someday. And I know I will.

His assistant opens up a Dimension Door, and as Stannis prepares to leave he turns back to Varis.

quote:

Stannis: Consider this, and remember we are still under this Conclave’s Zone of Truth spell. Your mother is alive. And not in a very good place. Should you wish to see her again, come to Caern Krellus and speak the name ‘Varis Stormglass.’ You will be reunited with her, and neither of you will ever see the sky again. Be well, Varis Stormglass.’

X X X X X

But hey, you have to end the adventure on a high note…FLYING MONKEYS! (edit - Apes, my stepdaughter pointed out to me as apes don't have tails)

My GM ordered these platforms about a month ago because he feels we’re dealing with a lot of creatures who have flight, and he wanted a better representation of the battlefield than just putting a figure on a stick. It made the fight a lot of fun (the monkeys are homebrewed extra-planar creatures called Berengi), and more importantly it was enough to level up the entire party.

Counterspell and Cone of Cold, here I come!

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 3, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

CobiWann posted:

I have no anger against you. In fact …I forgive you.
:drat:

I would give both my legs to be a part of a campaign like that.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Can we get two rounds of that. Holy poo poo I'd love to be in on that.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Goddamn, that sounds like a good game.

Where'd your GM order those platforms from? My GM's birthday is coming up and he'd love them.

------

Yesterday, during Monsterhearts:

• The Witch, after spending the last three sessions in Darkest Self, finally apologized to the friend of the party she was killing. It may yet cost the life of the Ghoul's dog, but at least now there's a chance of everything turning out well.
  • The Ghoul, after spending the entire season drifting and trying to find a reason to keep living, finally reconnected with her best friend, albiet in Limbo. He even got her to promise to stop killing herself, so maybe that will be the first step on the road to becoming a better person.
  • The Vampire, after spending the entire game being just a horrible angry teenager shithead, killed a teenager, killed the demon inside said teenager, bound the demon's soul into a pair of gloves, then went and got baptized into the Catholic church. If we weren't literally one session from ending the game that might really backfire for the church, but I think it may just work out.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

bbcisdabomb posted:

Goddamn, that sounds like a good game.

Where'd your GM order those platforms from? My GM's birthday is coming up and he'd love them.

http://paizo.com/products/btpy85op?Combat-Tiers-Family-Pack

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Galick posted:

Can we get two rounds of that. Holy poo poo I'd love to be in on that.

Duly noted!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Your cyberpunks are no match for my crew.

Today I went to a special playtest-gameday a few towns over, and it was a wonderful, completely worth-it trip....
Our mission begins in media res. We're in a helicopter, headed to an Arcology near Catalina Island. We infiltrate...by pretending to be the party patrol.
So, it turns out all the characters from my Sprawl playtest made in to the core book. (Full story by clicking the link.)

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
So apparently my plan to deal with a mansion full of mobsters by tainting their water supply with some kind of horrific lich-fungus that would turn them all into ghouls is "evil." Hey, if they're ghouls, they're evil, and they can be turned by our cleric. We're the heroes!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Ceaseless Feng Shui.
My Scrappy Kid Christina Eagles is constantly in danger of being captured by the Cult of the Rising Lotus. Li Ting, Glorious King of the Fire Pagoda, sent an envoy to bring her (and the party) to his palace in the Netherworld. He wanted to do some diplomacy.

So Li Ting betrayed us and we allied, temporarily, with his stab-you-in-the-front sister, Pui Ti. She gave us an ice necklace (cursed by a Ghost, a new PC!). And the ice necklace saved Christina's dad from being destroyed in magical fire...now he's trapped in mystical ice. The secret Dragon Niki Lau (whose player got employed and can't make games anymore) agreed to transport Christina's Nora-Fries like dad to a top shelf medical location.

This was NOT THE COOLEST THING THAT HAPPENED.

First, we had to Kung Fu fight Christina's emotionally distant father.
When the doctor was distracted, loose-cannon Max Graves took out his Remington. Christina had pinned her dad's suit jacket to the ground with tent spikes, allowing the team to actually hit the bastard.

Max said "one second; Niki, go first."
Niki Lau leapt into the air and, confused that Dr. Eagles didn't follow, landed a full force storm kick. Dr. Eagles was sent tumbling backwards, landing at the bad cop's feet.

Max cocked the shotgun and yelled "Doctor, eh? I'm proud of my PHD too. PUNISHING HORRIBLE DADS!"

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 11, 2016

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Golden Bee posted:

Max cocked the shotgun and yelled "Doctor, eh? I'm proud of my PHD too. PUNISHING HORRIBLE DADS!"

Oh my god. :swoon:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Golden Bee posted:

:golfclap:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

CobiWann posted:

Geopolitical Roundtable of Destiny

I love this goddamn game.

I haven't forgotten you thread, I'll have a post tonight.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I hate this thread and the people in it with good games. I can't even get my friends together online t play, the chumps.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Golden Bee posted:

As the player who was playing the Transformed Dragon, I was both happy and sad that this will be the last real moment of the game I'll get to be a part of. After the game, I literally told the Maverick Cop player that he both makes me want to try the archetype and never try the archetype because I'm not sure I can come up with anything like that.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
just a reminder that if you are DMing please plan LESS and play MORE.

I threw our DM a curve ball when he told us that the "locate object" was twenty feet below the floor. So, instead of going through the maze of puzzles/traps/monsters to get down there I just turned the stone floor into mud and jumped down.

Well, all the stuff he skipped is what he planned for most of the session so, he had to play the rest by ear and it was one of the best sessions he ran in a long time.

So, plan less and play more I promise your players will enjoy it more.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
:ssh: Your DM just took all the poo poo he had planned that you skipped and refluffed it to fit your new adventure. He crossed out "Cave Troll Encounter - 3rd floor stairs" and scribbled in "Forest Troll Encounter - road to bumblefuck"

Edit: I mean, don't get me wrong, that in of itself is a loving feat. Most GMs can't progress past the "cross out" part, and keep defaulting to "Find a way to force party towards 3rd floor stairs for Cave Troll encounter". But it's not like subverting his expectations flicked a switch in his brain from "lovely GM" to "Good GM". A good GM will have stuff planned out and know how to roll with the punches when that doesn't work out. A bad GM will have nothing planned out, and/or railroad players.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 12, 2016

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

thelazyblank posted:

As the player who was playing the Transformed Dragon, I was both happy and sad that this will be the last real moment of the game I'll get to be a part of. After the game, I literally told the Maverick Cop player that he both makes me want to try the archetype and never try the archetype because I'm not sure I can come up with anything like that.

Hey, I'll miss having you there to do the hard yards in actually damaging the bad guys so that my terrible one-liners can hurt them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Captain Bravo posted:

:ssh: Your DM just took all the poo poo he had planned that you skipped and refluffed it to fit your new adventure. He crossed out "Cave Troll Encounter - 3rd floor stairs" and scribbled in "Forest Troll Encounter - road to bumblefuck"

Edit: I mean, don't get me wrong, that in of itself is a loving feat. Most GMs can't progress past the "cross out" part, and keep defaulting to "Find a way to force party towards 3rd floor stairs for Cave Troll encounter". But it's not like subverting his expectations flicked a switch in his brain from "lovely GM" to "Good GM". A good GM will have stuff planned out and know how to roll with the punches when that doesn't work out. A bad GM will have nothing planned out, and/or railroad players.

This is how I was planning out a zombie apocalypse campaign that fizzled out. I wrote it out as having two or three different paths the PCs could take at any different time (with NPCs feeding them the options) and scripted out those encounters, then if they took a different path I'd just transplant the encounters over. Like one option was to try and steal a helicopter, in which case the wealthy owner of the helicopter and his mistress would show up at the same time and he would pull out a little .25 pocket pistol and try to threaten his way past them. It was left open ended as to how the PCs would deal with him, from just killing him and moving on to convincing or threatening him into flying the helicopter for him. Another option would be to steal a boat from a nearby dock and each boat would have its own little encounter (just a paragraph or less of description in my notes and improvising from there), like one boat would likewise have the owner show up with a gun and the key and freak out at the boat thieves or one other boat would have a desperate family with kids try to bargain or fight them for it.

If the PCs decided not to take any of those options, all of the encounters could still be transferred over. "Angry owner of (Vehicle) with gun" can be applied to just about anything they tried to steal for transport. Same with "Family with kids tries to take it too".

After they got out of the city, I was just writing four different "sequels" to the escape for different geographic regions. They were based around specific locations depending on the direction of travel and fuel in their vehicle, but almost everything could be pulled out and applied to almost any rural area of the United States or Canada within reach and have the names and layouts changed. I prefer to use Google Earth screenshots to create maps based on real world locations as well, which greatly eases the burden of mapping.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Captain Bravo posted:

Well I dont mean he didnt have any plans or anything but, he took the hard and rigid plans he usually had and actually used the general gist and work it around to what the players were doing/ impacting.

My point was that usually he will have stuff planned out and if you divert too hard from the path then a mystical force or some other BS will steer you back. I was really surprised he let me turn the floor into mud and jsut didnt say "its magical it doesnt work". He took a step forward and it really made the gameplay more fun.

And the next step was the "final" part of the dungeon, and we moved onto someone that he had thought of but didnt really plan, which I dunno you can tell when someone is actively thinking and when someone is just reciting what they had already thought up.

He let us RP the encounter to fill in the gaps and when he found a good cliff hanger, called the session.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Masks!
Maybe Rohan's "no girlfriend thing" made sense...

So we have a new teammate in The Future: The alien prettyboy Haenna. He's playing tourist on Earth, and has two main dysfunctions: He doesn't like cleaning the base, and, more vitally, he's a secret telepath.

So he's crushing on Rohan hard but won't use his powers (whatever they are!) unless someone yells at him.

Which is how most of the team works. Naryati (aka RE:VOLT) has to order people around, and when she, for example, gets judo-thrown by a suspect the gang is following, only her beau Star Knight (Ryan) sticks up for her. He does it with a nanite-spewing energy blast but hey, whatev.

---
So, after hanging at base and seeing what foods Haenna will eat (he likes cold things) and what he'll wear (a maid outfit, which Naryati finds hilarious, yet he still won't clean!), the group moves forward against the Rook Industries conspiracy.

Mostly, it involves hacking Naryati's dad's phone, tracking down someone in the conspiracy (his assistant Ernesto McGregor), and intimidating him at a nearby parking lot. When he refuses to roll on his corporate betters, Naryati grabs his phone, he throws her, they track him to his apartment. The team is faster than a dude in his car, so the team has some downtime on the roof. The team talked logistics, Star Knight berated them for their passivity, and Naryati teased Rohan some more, about how he had a crush on her during Halloween in 4th grade.

Rohan's player posts a pic of what Rohan looks like (see bottom of this post.)

While he's sputtering to explain he knows Nar has a boyfriend now, Haenna starts messing with Rohan's hair. Naryati thinks some very nasty words (which somehow causes her to get a headache.)

The genetically modified Brutal Brothers nearly kill the guy before the team steps in. RE:VOLT yells at Haenna, preventing him from being shot. Rohan teleports into McGregor's bathroom; since the lights are off, there's a tie to the Shadow Plane. Rohan almosts gets choked to death by a thug, but RE:VOLT turns off the floor's elevator, access and closes the fire stairs, disrupting the thug. His powers don't go nuclear like last time.

The Future splits up with Rohan and Haenna in control of one thug, R&SK getting the other.

RE:VOLT and Star Knight trade up the chain, sending one brother to nearby Metro City with a bus ticket and a secret GPS tracker.
(When the company recaptures him, they'll lead the team right to their hideout. Of course, buying a fugitive a bus ticket is a case of aiding and abetting, right...?)

Rohan decides to turn a thug into the police, knowing he'll get out again.

So at the end of the session, our team somehow grows closer together despite laziness, latent jealousy, and xeno/homophobia. They've saved a life that they directly put in danger.
RE:VOLT tells Ernesto McGregor to stay with his boss. When Ernesto shows up, Naryati, out of costume, yells at him for waking her up at three in the morning.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 12, 2016

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Well I dont mean he didnt have any plans or anything but, he took the hard and rigid plans he usually had and actually used the general gist and work it around to what the players were doing/ impacting.

My point was that usually he will have stuff planned out and if you divert too hard from the path then a mystical force or some other BS will steer you back. I was really surprised he let me turn the floor into mud and jsut didnt say "its magical it doesnt work". He took a step forward and it really made the gameplay more fun.

Well that's pretty great, then! It's always incredible when you can actually see someone improving, especially when it works to make the game more fun for everyone.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

I threw our DM a curve ball when he told us that the "locate object" was twenty feet below the floor. So, instead of going through the maze of puzzles/traps/monsters to get down there I just turned the stone floor into mud and jumped down.
I love it when my players do stuff like this and wish they would more often.

Even if i spent all week designing the dungeon, I could never get mad at this solution.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Make sure you actually tell him. One thing I hate as a GM is that I rarely get feedback other some generic 'good session'

Some day soon I am going to snap and force my players to fill out feedback forms, or maybe allocate priorities with monopoly money

Edit: I also ask for feedback every session lol. Maybe I am weird but I would like to be told this was good and this was not every session lol

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 13, 2016

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Make sure you actually tell him. One thing I hate as a GM is that I rarely get feedback other some generic 'good session'

Some day soon I am going to snap and force my players to fill out feedback forms, or maybe allocate priorities with monopoly money

Edit: I also ask for feedback every session lol. Maybe I am weird but I would like to be told this was good and this was not every session lol

we used to do "best part of session" "word part of session" as well as "mvp" for the end to get a good feedback. but yeah i am going to text him now

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

we used to do "best part of session" "word part of session" as well as "mvp" for the end to get a good feedback. but yeah i am going to text him now

I've made my players each do this at the end of every session and it really helped me as a GM and helped me give them sessions better suited to what they wanted out of the game.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

This is a good idea and I might start doing this. I always feel like if I ask I might be seen as trying too hard or whatever, but I just want to make sure people are enjoying themselves :v:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Bad Seafood posted:

I love it when my players do stuff like this and wish they would more often.

Even if i spent all week designing the dungeon, I could never get mad at this solution.

Our GM built a very nice tower for us to assault, filled with nasty enemies and traps designed to wear us down so that the boss battle at the top would be a desperate struggle. We instead went into an adjacent building, pre-cast all our buffs, then used a combination of Fly, Levitate, and ropes to fly up the side and drop on the boss. The boss was idly reading a scroll when, much to her surprise, we popped over the rail. What followed was a brutal curb-stomping as we dunked on this lamia matriarch. Her minions peeked out of the staircase and ran like hell, while we cleared the tower easily from the top down.

Because I'm playing the party inquisitor, I had no choice but to inform her that no one expects the Inquisition .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I'm playing in a very low magic D&D western right now. My rogue contracted dysentery, so I decided to sneak a little ways away from camp to attend to business. Rolled stupid high stealth to sneak out past the cowboys on watch. Then the our camp was attacked by a cannibal wild man we encountered earlier but failed to subdue. When it came to be my turn, "Hey DM, I'm still hidden from everyone right?" I was told I was. "Good, free object interaction to pull up my pants and then I sneak attack the cannibal."