Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

laserghost posted:

Duke Nukem 3D definitely had some very basic bots back in the day (actually, it had an extremely simple bots avaiable via a command iirc) called SOB-BOT, but they were hardly a challenge: http://www.dukertcm.com/knowledge-base/downloads-rtcm/duke3d-cons/

Oh my god, I haven't thought of SOB-BOT in literally 20 years, holy poo poo. The nostalgia is kind of blowing me away right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Starhawk64 posted:

Wolfenstien TNO and TOB are both brilliant. Shooting retro-futuristic Nazis with dual wield auto shotguns and then eating dog food to recover health afterwards is fun times.

Can't wait for the New Doom. Glad to see iD is keeping the run 30 mph carry all guns and eat medkits to regain health spirit of old school FPS games alive.

I've said it before but like, I really appreciate that in single player you apparently just shoot all your ammo, rather than having to reload.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The Kins posted:

1.) Download Blzut's Master Levels Patch.
2.) Use it to generate a single WAD file.
3.) Open your gzdoom-Username.ini file and add this under the specified header:

code:
[doom.doom2.commercial.Autoload]
Path=c:\my\directory\path\to\nerve.wad
Path=c:\my\directory\path\to\master.wad
...with the path changed appropriately, of course.
Well, that's incredibly convenient. Thanks for the heads-up.

(...really? Xaser assigned the intermission music to the first track of his level order? Unusual choice.)

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The part where he grabs a lost soul by the horn and chucks it into the cacodemon's mouth is fantastic.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
♪ One of these things is not like the others... ♫

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yeah, I mean, one's a friggin' dog.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

The Kins posted:

Commander Keen in 'Goodbye, Bright EGA Colors!'

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That little revenant looks so adorable! :kimchi:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hello thread that I didn't know existed until just now, to celebrate the impending release/commercial success/potential failure of Do4m, I am playing through all the Doom games for the first time ever. I have realized that not doing so was a huge mistake on my part and I shouldn't have waited 20 years to play them. Today I beat Doom and Doom 2, tried out Doom 3 and it wasn't that great, so I was referred to this thread by the general thread up top to ask for everyone's favorite OG Doom/2 .wads. Anyone got any favorites besides the ones in the OP?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Kins posted:

The dog is wearing doggles! I want that one.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

CJacobs posted:

Hello thread that I didn't know existed until just now, to celebrate the impending release/commercial success/potential failure of Do4m, I am playing through all the Doom games for the first time ever. I have realized that not doing so was a huge mistake on my part and I shouldn't have waited 20 years to play them. Today I beat Doom and Doom 2, tried out Doom 3 and it wasn't that great, so I was referred to this thread by the general thread up top to ask for everyone's favorite OG Doom/2 .wads. Anyone got any favorites besides the ones in the OP?

Personally I would recommend EPIC 2, Going Down, and Unholy Realms. There are a bunch more because the OP can only contain so much, but those are three that I am quite confident to recommend (that aren't in the OP).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CJacobs posted:

Going Down, BTSX, and the skillsaw wads (Valiant in particular) are all pretty great.

There is an insane amount of high quality content out there for Doom, so recommendations actually become more about what type of map you want to play. Do you like the long meandering affairs, short bite sized maps, tightly balanced (hard) combat, slaughtering hundreds of monsters, figuring out puzzles, or... ?

e: keep in mind anything new is going to be significantly harder than the IWads, and adjust the difficulty accordingly. If you want to try some of the crazier stuff (Sunder or Sunlust come to mind) don't be afraid to use ITYTD to get double ammo / take half damage.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 13, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Kins posted:

If anyone actually buys one of these and gets The Keeper (the safe head guy from The Evil Within), I will buy it off of you for the price you paid for it. I want the little guy but they're blind boxes so the chance of getting one is pretty low and I don't wanna unbox 50 Dovahkins to get it.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Personally I would recommend EPIC 2, Going Down, and Unholy Realms. There are a bunch more because the OP can only contain so much, but those are three that I am quite confident to recommend (that aren't in the OP).

Jordan7hm posted:

Going Down, BTSX, and the skillsaw wads (Valiant in particular) are all pretty great.

There is an insane amount of high quality content out there for Doom, so recommendations actually become more about what type of map you want to play. Do you like the long meandering affairs, short bite sized maps, tightly balanced (hard) combat, slaughtering hundreds of monsters, figuring out puzzles, or... ?

I'll check them out, thanks. I'm building up a giant-rear end folder of .wads and then I'm gonna go down the list and play them all :getin:

Personally I am a fan of straightforward "shoot the cyberdemon until it dies" type levels. Ones that have you running around for 20 minutes staring at the automap and hunting for keycards make my brain sad.

edit: Oh, I'm also a fan of ones that just go completely nuts and do some weird out-there poo poo with the Doom engine, those are fun to experience too.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 13, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Beware that the newer the WAD, the more likely it is that it will be really loving hard because the average skill level of Doom players has increased quite a bit over the last 20 years. So don't be afraid to tick the difficulty down one below what you played the originals on.

One that I think is completely not missable (and it's relatively old) is Scythe. Definitely a classic.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe grab some of memfis' stuff. It's very clean, classic dooming.

I'd also recommend reading kmx's onemandoom if you want to get a quick take on whether or not a wad is worth your time.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I like the weapon mods: samsara, satanic, bad gunz, russian overkill, psychic, nazis!, demon steele and mercenaries.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

CJacobs posted:

You definitely oughtta play Doom 64: https://doom64ex.wordpress.com/

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

CJacobs posted:

If you got Doom 3 BFG Edition it comes with a new Doom 2 episode, No Rest for the Living. Try that (it rules).

Also Final Doom is mostly great.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Here's some links that'll give you more than enough quality WADs and mods to play through for as long as your attention span holds up.

The Top 100 WADs of All Time: 1994-2003
The Annual Cacowards: 2004-2015 and Ongoing

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Doom 4 seems pretty good so far. I'll concede that I'm having a bit of difficulty discerning one enemy type from another, and the Imp fireballs are so fast that dodging them on the fly isn't nearly as simple as it is in Doom 2, but the combat still feels pretty good. I was worried the shotgun would feel wimpy - it could use a bit more bass in the audio department, but nah, it's pretty satisfying to use.

CJacobs posted:

edit: Oh, I'm also a fan of ones that just go completely nuts and do some weird out-there poo poo with the Doom engine, those are fun to experience too.
Then buddy, let me tell you about this little mod called Reelism...

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I know I read a comment somewhere about how fireballs in general moved very slow and that in modern games they'd look kind of corny floating by as Doomguy screams around corners like a cheetah on speed.

e: For old doom, I mean.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 13, 2016

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Thanks, I'll give that one a shot! I still have the pistol start wad from a while back but that one clears all your weapons every time you finish a level, which is a pain in some really difficult levels.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I know this was 40 pages ago but I just read that review of hexen and I have to say having just beat it myself recently I disagree pretty strongly. When it came out I was a kid and borrowed it from my friend but I was too young and I never really got very far. Now though I dunno if it's because I'm in my 30s and have been playing doom games off and on since they came out or I'm just smarter than when I was a kid but I found it pretty easy. I thought the level design was good overall and looked good for a doom game, and I only ever really had a problem with trying to figure out where to go next twice, which I think is what most people have trouble with initially. I felt like they were very consistent in overall design so it isn't like they threw any curve balls at you halfway through. I really enjoyed it. The expansions music being borked was super annoying though.

Now the real reason for this post: is there anything like gzdoom for quake? I kinda hate playing it through steam.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

dtkozl posted:

Now the real reason for this post: is there anything like gzdoom for quake? I kinda hate playing it through steam.
Quakespasm is the current source port most big mods use. Darkplaces hasn't been updated in a while and seems to have fallen out of favor with modders a bit, but it has a bunch of cool/ridiculous eyecandy features you might enjoy twiddling with.

One fun thing you can do is replace the Steam Quake exes with the Quakespasm etc. ones for the best of both worlds. :D

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Thanks!

FWT THE CUTTER
Oct 16, 2007

weed

Mogomra posted:

There isn't any zdoom frontend like ZDL for Linux is there? I'm having a hell of a time with the command line arguments. It loads the iwad just fine, but I can't tell it to load other wads.

There is a zdoom frontent for linux, it's called ZDL ;) PKGBUILD here in case you're running arch, otherwise source here

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

The Kins posted:

For the very first time there's a figurine that I really want, but am afraid that Keen and Doggo will be ridiculously rare and/or expensive by the principle how they differ from the rest of shootman protags.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

dtkozl posted:

The expansions music being borked was super annoying though.

Maybe a bit late, but there was an official patch for that

which isn't on steam :eng99:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Doggles!

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

CJacobs posted:

I'm actually doing the same, I already beat Doom 1 and I'm going through Doom 2 right now. The Chex Quest (really) games are pretty fun, and the third one is surprisingly tough on normal difficulty.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

FWT THE CUTTER posted:

There is a zdoom frontent for linux, it's called ZDL ;) PKGBUILD here in case you're running arch, otherwise source here

I am on Arch and I must be retarded because I was searching aur for exactly this, but didn't find anything. Thanks for the direct link!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Listen, I'm not going into the Doom thread again and you guys are way cooler anyway. DO4M is pretty sweet. Fast, punchy, fun. Rip and tear until it is done.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Listen, I'm not going into the Doom thread again and you guys are way cooler anyway. DO4M is pretty sweet. Fast, punchy, fun. Rip and tear until it is done.

:yeah:

The MP still feels floaty and bland but at least they made the SSG do 75 damage per shot so it's fun and satisfying to use. :getin:

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

New version of Prodoomer is out. Changes include: "orthography revised and fixed (not 100% accurate)", "the option GoW logo remove wad added", "an achievement system". It's still insane and disorganized, but fun nonetheless.

GOG sale, most of the shootmans are pretty bad tho: Red Faction 1&2, Chaser, Painkiller Black Ed. Also, both Aquanox games (but not Archimedean Dynasty :()

laserghost fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 13, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Kins posted:

Here's some links that'll give you more than enough quality WADs and mods to play through for as long as your attention span holds up.

The Top 100 WADs of All Time: 1994-2003
The Annual Cacowards: 2004-2015 and Ongoing

Thanks! That's a lot of wads to swallow at once!

Shadow Hog posted:

I played Reelism and it's good fun, if a little chaotic and hard to follow.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Shadow Hog posted:

Doom 4 seems pretty good so far. I'll concede that I'm having a bit of difficulty discerning one enemy type from another, and the Imp fireballs are so fast that dodging them on the fly isn't nearly as simple as it is in Doom 2, but the combat still feels pretty good. I was worried the shotgun would feel wimpy - it could use a bit more bass in the audio department, but nah, it's pretty satisfying to use.

This really is my favourite mod. <3 so much.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Gobblecoque posted:

You definitely oughtta play Doom 64: https://doom64ex.wordpress.com/

I know you asked for Doom 1 wads CJ (by the way my recommendation is Doom the Way id Did), but you need to get on this.

This poo poo is the real Doom 3. The one you played in an impostor.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Doom 2016 is loving fun and runs flawlessly on release day. Really happy and surprised with how good it is, absolutely didn't expect it after the beta!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Convex posted:

Doom 2016 is loving fun and runs flawlessly on release day. Really happy and surprised with how good it is, absolutely didn't expect it after the beta!

I wish they'd just release a singleplayer demo. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mordja posted:

I wish they'd just release a singleplayer demo. :negative:

You get an achievement called "shareware" for releasing your first SnapMap to the world :3:

But yeah its kinda sad there's no demo. But that's videogames in TYOOL2016. Just watch the videos of the first campaign level and you should be pretty sold.

Its a good game. I'm liking this a thousand times more than Rage.