Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Eldataluta posted:

I really love this section of the game. It was creepy and unexpected when I first played. Even if the stealth section got really annoying after a while. It turns out I am not good at stealth sections.

The stealth section is literally impossible to fail though, since you can just rewind them. So I guess it's fine, even if it was a bit long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I kinda felt like the stealth section was hard by design to force you to have to rewind a bunch during it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm glad everything has gone back to normal for Max! :)

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Could an evil Max from alternative timeline have been working with Jefferson and Nathan?

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
my favorite part of the nightmare sequence: the loving bottles return. This really is hell.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010

Krysmphoenix posted:

my favorite part of the nightmare sequence: the loving bottles return. This really is hell.

Yes, and the fact that it's completely optional and only for an achievement, but the player may well not realise that...Nice bit of trolling, Dontnod.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just realized; Max was planning to submit a selfie to a photo contest titled "Everyday Heroes".

Conceited, much?

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
To be fair, she did decide against it.

... the first time, at least.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I thought it was cute that Warren made a doll of us - maybe the hair is actually ours too :3:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Warren's locker kinda confused me because I never really got if it was supposed to be like, a real "oh man Warren's been a total creep this whole time" revelation or just another symptom of Max going nuts like the giant squirrels or classroom bird suicide.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

brylcreem posted:

I just realized; Max was planning to submit a selfie to a photo contest titled "Everyday Heroes".

Conceited, much?

Remember the picture tho, while she was framed in the picture, she wasn't in focus, all the pictures of other people were. It was a picture that featured her but was not explicitly about her.

Much like this game. :v:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

TwoPair posted:

Warren's locker kinda confused me because I never really got if it was supposed to be like, a real "oh man Warren's been a total creep this whole time" revelation or just another symptom of Max going nuts like the giant squirrels or classroom bird suicide.

The whole thing's a nightmare. It's what she's afraid of Warren thinking of her.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

bewilderment posted:

The whole thing's a nightmare. It's what she's afraid of Warren thinking of her.

Yeah i was about to say, the locker says a whole lot more about Max than it does about Warren

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, Warren's a nice boy who's just not great with girls.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, Warren's a nice boy who's just not great with girls.

Except he's getting with three of them in the space of a week.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

namesake posted:

Except he's getting with three of them in the space of a week.

There's also an unexpected eclipse, 80 degree snow and two moons. Nothing makes sense anymore.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
"Y'know if it weren't for the death tornado heading right for us, this woulda been a pretty great week" thinks Warren before Max photo-jumps out of reality

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

That's a great thought! Max is causing all these majorly strange, even physically impossible events to happen but people only focus on them because it's obvious to everyone that they happened and there's no real explanation for them. What if there's loads of these things happening to everyone but they're either so small that people don't notice, appear to be possible just super unlikely or only happening to one person so they aren't sure they really happened at all?

What if Max isn't the only person to follow rewinded time, she's just the one who controls when it happens? So someone else in town is just living their life but occasionally and randomly for the past five days everyone just starts walking and talking backwards around them and then goes on to do exactly the same thing as they did the first time.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

namesake posted:

What if Max isn't the only person to follow rewinded time, she's just the one who controls when it happens? So someone else in town is just living their life but occasionally and randomly for the past five days everyone just starts walking and talking backwards around them and then goes on to do exactly the same thing as they did the first time.

I've read a story like that before. The unfortunate piggy-back loopping protagonist got really indignant after a while of the main looper starting out each time loop immediately going and fighting a dragon, since it turns out that death prematurely resets the loop for both of them.

The main looper died a lot.

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016

HenryEx posted:

I've read a story like that before. The unfortunate piggy-back loopping protagonist got really indignant after a while of the main looper starting out each time loop immediately going and fighting a dragon, since it turns out that death prematurely resets the loop for both of them.

The main looper died a lot.

Is it a book or a short story? Can you name it pls? Got me pretty interested.

Also I wish we could enter the bathroom. And see an infinite loop of the bullet hitting Chloe and going back to the gun...

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

NeruVolpi posted:

Is it a book or a short story? Can you name it pls? Got me pretty interested.

Also I wish we could enter the bathroom. And see an infinite loop of the bullet hitting Chloe and going back to the gun...

Mother of Learning

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Mother of Learning is p. good, but has an incredibly high barrier to entry. The first couple of chapters it just seems like a fantasy world self-insert off-brand Harry Potter clone, and with the most insufferable misanthropic nerd as a protagonist, too. Things get a lot better once the, you know, loop shenanigans start, and the main character discovers through repeated interaction with others what a massive prick he tended to be.

If i hadn't been assured it gets better i would've probably dropped it pretty quickly.

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016
Well I'm into Steven Erikson and Brandon Sanderson so as long as it is well writen I have no problems with entry barriers.

Unless it is like that Homestuck webcomic stuff that is pretty terrible. But people keep telling me it gets really good after chapter 379 or smt...

Going to check it out. Thanks.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Are there any good non fantasy books that deal this same type of time travel issues we see in life is strange? I've always to read a really good book covering the subject but I've never heard anything of fantastic that would be a must read book before you die.

Again I'd love read a great book modern book on time travel, like what happens in life is strange. Just no D&D fantasy stuff.

I've also wondered why Samuel is in Max's Nightmare. He's basically the most harmless character and seemed out of place for that spot. Must just be nonsense like the message from William.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

DropsySufferer posted:

Are there any good non fantasy books that deal this same type of time travel issues we see in life is strange? I've always to read a really good book covering the subject but I've never heard anything of fantastic that would be a must read book before you die.

Again I'd love read a great book modern book on time travel, like what happens in life is strange. Just no D&D fantasy stuff.

I've also wondered why Samuel is in Max's Nightmare. He's basically the most harmless character and seemed out of place for that spot. Must just be nonsense like the message from William.

Might be verboten, but two mangas with really interesting takes on time travel spring to mind - 'all you need is kill', which was turned into the movie 'the edge of tomorrow' is pretty fun, and another one that gets really batshit but in a really interesting way was 'qualia the purple', which deals with all sorts of interesting quantum phenomena related to time travel.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

McKilligan posted:

Might be verboten, but two mangas with really interesting takes on time travel spring to mind - 'all you need is kill', which was turned into the movie 'the edge of tomorrow' is pretty fun, and another one that gets really batshit but in a really interesting way was 'qualia the purple', which deals with all sorts of interesting quantum phenomena related to time travel.

All You Need Is Kill started as a light novel before it was a manga. Basically Japanese YA fiction, but with pictures. (The US version does not have pictures.) I thought it was a decent read, on the whole.

Dingwall
Feb 28, 2016

McKilligan posted:

if you want to watch tom cruise die a lot, edge of tomorrow is the movie for you.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
If you can find it, I read Dean Koontz' Lightning a long time ago and it was pretty great. Spoiled because you aren't actually told about the time travel until about halfway through.

Adnelle
May 3, 2014

DropsySufferer posted:

Could an evil Max from alternative timeline have been working with Jefferson and Nathan?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When I first read the text message, I assumed she was just hooking up with Jefferson...

...but now...

Since we now know that when Max jumps into the Max of another timeline (I'll just call this one Maxine) Max doesn't remember the life before, and when Maxine comes to she doesn't remember what happened when Max was controlling the ship.

Imagine Maxine being in on this. Knowing about Rachel Amber's end before the story even starts.

Regardless if you think that theory hold water or not, imagine Maxine coming to in a house she remembers as a child with the dead body of her childhood best friend that she hasn't seen in years laying beside her.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Creepy nightmare mode where Max is weirdly into Mr. Jefferson? Eww.

Now this wasn't brought up in the most recent update but maybe a few updates ago, I'm really happy Max acknowledges that whenever she rewinds time she could be leaving timelines/alternate realities with every different choice she makes. Like presumably when she creates/enters the "William doesn't find his keys." timeline and leaves it, the main LP Continuity Max perceives herself time traveling back. But she probably leaves behind another Max to live out with the choices she made earlier. That's kind of interesting but I hope she doesn't beat herself up over it!

I really hope that Cloe isn't fated to die. Max and Cloe deserve to be best friends gay with each other

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It could just be, you know, an actual photography dark room and not THE DARK ROOM.

But it is just plausible enough in hindsight to be real creepy, yeah.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

paragon1 posted:

It could just be, you know, an actual photography dark room and not THE DARK ROOM.

When has Max not used a polaroid camera? She doesn't need an actual dark room.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, she's obviously not a lame hipster in the other timeline so maybe she uses proper film.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

If you can find it, I read Dean Koontz' Lightning a long time ago and it was pretty great. Spoiled because you aren't actually told about the time travel until about halfway through.

Just wanna point out that this is a really paradoxical spoiler 'cause how's anyone gonna know what's being spoiled without getting spoiled on it?

I'm actually a little disappointed that we never found out more about alternate Max. Like, we got one scene where she was hanging with the Vortex Club and some text messages and that's about it.

Dingwall
Feb 28, 2016

andipossess posted:

I'm actually a little disappointed that we never found out more about alternate Max. Like, we got one scene where she was hanging with the Vortex Club and some text messages and that's about it.

THIS. I was actually hoping that the entire episode was us in the alternate reality and seeing exactly HOW DIFFERENT everything was as we're trying to get back. When I first saw the episode, I thought Max was temporarily going to lose her powers and be stuck in the alt timeline for the episode, that wold have been really cool to see more about the vortex club and stuff with Jefferson. Especially after that picture with him up above.

Looper? Can we bring Looper into the mess of time travel stuff? Mostly because of Bruce Willis' explanation of it? X3

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

andipossess posted:

Just wanna point out that this is a really paradoxical spoiler 'cause how's anyone gonna know what's being spoiled without getting spoiled on it?

Given how crazy the game has been lately, I thought it was appropriate. :v:

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Hi! :) We did it! We reached the end. It's time for the :siren: FINAL VIDEO :siren:

:siren:We've reached the metaphorical and literal end of the path.:siren:

--The stuff below this line is neat but maybe look at it after you watch the videos!!--

It turns out that Max updates the journal a lot in the final minutes of the game! These pages are only available in the scene immediately before the final decision:

There's also one set of text messages that updates in the final revision of reality, and it's Warren's:

We also have the final page of decisions, but since there were no polls for this episode I ain't got much commentary on them:

The final song of the soundtrack is Foals - Spanish Sahara [lyrics]

Just a final note, thanks to everyone who watched this lp and posted in the thread! Thanks for all the nice fanart!! Thank you to Kaubocks and Faerie's Fortune for help with the nightmare video! I'm all fulla thanks. :3: I am working on a bonus video about the endings, expect to see that sometime next week!

Panzer Skank fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 15, 2016

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Thanks for a great LP, Panzer!

I can't believe the ending didn't tell us the fate of Frank's beans.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The final choice of the game: Bay or Bae?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Great LP, great game.

So which ending did everyone go for first? Either when you played it, or in the LP. I chose to sacrifice Arcadia Bay, despite being the 'evil' (or selfish) option. From Chloe's perspective, everyone has abandoned her. Her best friends leave, her parents don't care, she has no-one and she dies for nothing. It just seemed too cruel, like her destiny was to suffer and die so everyone else can be happy.

The ending to LoS really broke me up when I first played it. Which is weird, partly because I don't get emotional over stuff often, and partly because the final choice is so darned obvious that I'm pretty sure the fandom predicted it after episode 1.

But it's done so well; with the nightmare and the museum and Chloe's speech and the decision and then the Foals on the soundtrack. The different tones of the two endings helped too- one horribly definitive, the other ominously vague.

• Locked thread