Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

TheDarkFlame posted:

I think this lecture/interview is my favourite video, because it's not so tedious to watch, it's interesting, it's got a sense of humour about it, it explains itself really well, and it tackles the subject of religion and science without being venomous and condescending, which is a big issue in that kind of discussion. Other videos are slow, irritating, or have goddamn puzzles hidden inside them.

It is Feynman after all. "Sense of humour and good communication" is kinda his thing, along with sexism and an ego/narcissism larger even than his genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

TheDarkFlame posted:

I think this lecture/interview is my favourite video, because it's not so tedious to watch, it's interesting, it's got a sense of humour about it, it explains itself really well, and it tackles the subject of religion and science without being venomous and condescending, which is a big issue in that kind of discussion. Other videos are slow, irritating, or have goddamn puzzles hidden inside them.

That's because Feynman was amazing and gave legitimately enthralling and accessible lectures that anyone with an even passing interest in physics or the sciences really owes it to themselves to watch. And they're freely available.

I was going to meltdown if they scoffed at him but then I realized there was never any danger of that. I especially like that he points out there really is no animosity betwixt the 'hierarchies' outside of goony sensationalists.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Reading through his Physics lectures v1 atm. Great stuff!

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Dominoes posted:

Reading through his Physics lectures v1 atm. Great stuff!

I've wanted hard copies of these forever. I attempted to pick up principia multiple times and just couldn't cut through the way it was translated from latin. Feynman's works are just excellent from the accessible colloquial way he wrote.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

TheDarkFlame posted:

That's because it's done by Richard Feynman, a dude who did his best to make Physics approachable to everyone. The man was curious about everything. Playing bongos, solving the Challenger explosion, stealing fridges, working on atomic bombs and so on.
One of the things he mentioned in his memoir (Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman, a book y'all should read cause it's drat good) is that Los Alemos, the place where they worked on the a-bomb was a top secret facility, "which meant there was nothing to do!". So he spent his free time cracking safes in this facility :v:

e;fb and yeah Feynman was kind of an rear end in a top hat as people mentioned

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

That's because it's done by Richard Feynman, a dude who did his best to make Physics approachable to everyone. The man was curious about everything. Playing bongos, solving the Challenger explosion, stealing fridges, working on atomic bombs and so on.
One of the things he mentioned in his memoir (Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman, a book y'all should read cause it's drat good) is that Los Alemos, the place where they worked on the a-bomb was a top secret facility, "which meant there was nothing to do!". So he spent his free time cracking safes in this facility :v:

e;fb and yeah Feynman was kind of an rear end in a top hat as people mentioned

Los Alamos, not Alemos, I grew up there. Plenty of stuff to do if you like hiking and astronomy.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is this the first time statues have actually been involved in the fact of a puzzle? That's pretty neat.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
I just binged through this entire series and its great stuff so far. It's interesting to see what parts you guys had trouble with that i got really easily, and what parts you guys breezed through that took me a really long time.

Like people have said, the 'other' ending is not permanently locked off at all, but it may be a long while before you can unlock it.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
That grey cloud laser thing is what sort of srewed me up a bit with the game. That's because I either accidentally rotated the laser towards it or I was trying various redirection angles to see what happens...

And so I didn't know why the cloud turning white was useful. I don't think I knew about environmental puzzles at that point, or maybe the idea that the clouds were part of one had not occured to me.

But since redirecting the laser to the cloud seemed to have a "significant" effect, I wrongly assumed that the whole reason that this laser didn't directly point to the mountain is that it was supposed to be redirected to the cloud.

And I left it there.

Which kind of locks you out of the "bonus" special area of the game. You still have to know /or assume *where* you have to look for the main thing you need to do to unlock that, which I also didn't figure out before ending the game in the proper/ straightforward way.

So wrt the question about how easy was to find out about the special area... for me, it ended up being spoiled by some review or comment, while I was searching for comments as to how to access those overhead pathways in the area under the mill.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

AbstractNapper posted:

That grey cloud laser thing is what sort of srewed me up a bit with the game. That's because I either accidentally rotated the laser towards it or I was trying various redirection angles to see what happens...

And so I didn't know why the cloud turning white was useful. I don't think I knew about environmental puzzles at that point, or maybe the idea that the clouds were part of one had not occured to me.

But since redirecting the laser to the cloud seemed to have a "significant" effect, I wrongly assumed that the whole reason that this laser didn't directly point to the mountain is that it was supposed to be redirected to the cloud.

And I left it there.

Which kind of locks you out of the "bonus" special area of the game. You still have to know /or assume *where* you have to look for the main thing you need to do to unlock that, which I also didn't figure out before ending the game in the proper/ straightforward way.

So wrt the question about how easy was to find out about the special area... for me, it ended up being spoiled by some review or comment, while I was searching for comments as to how to access those overhead pathways in the area under the mill.

IMO it's much more likely someone will find the ending before thinking to look under the cube.

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

The top of the mountain puzzle - There is a difference between the PC and PS4 versions of this for some reason.

The end points - they don't exist until you select a start point in the PS4 version then only one of them appears it does make it easier.

On the cloud - The only reason I knew about it is because I literally tried every one to see if it hit anything other than the top of the mountain.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

My thought process on solving the cloud:

I saw an unnatural part-circle in a cloud, shortly after I discovered env puzzles; assumed there was one in the clouds. I made a note to periodically look up as I wandered to find the rest. I messed with the laser platform trying different things to figure out the point. I saw it light the dark cloud, didn't know what to think, and moved on. I happened upon the right spot during wanderings, looked up, and saw the env pattern in the cloud I couldn't complete due to the gray part; at that point I knew what do to.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
It definitely is interesting how some people are good at different puzzles. I was stuck in a Tetris block puzzle one day when a friend came over. I showed him the game for the first time, and he almost instantly solved the panel I had been stuck on for hours.

I ended up solving many of the Tetris block puzzles using PowerPoint on my laptop.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Shaded Spriter posted:

The end points - they don't exist until you select a start point in the PS4 version then only one of them appears it does make it easier.

Pretty sure they were there in my game. Huh. And it's not like I can just jump back into the game for this one, because I'd have to play a substantial amount of the game to get there. But I'm pretty sure.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Shaded Spriter posted:

Oh, that's really interesting. I wonder if I just need to update my game; we're playing the Humble Store version, so updates aren't automatic.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay, it's time for part 28! My head and eyes still hurt!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Aww, You missed the thing! That's all I'm gonna say about it and I hope it stays that way.

This endgame was mostly just annoying for me. The difficulty of a puzzle really shouldn't be inputting it without having to throw up.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 13, 2016

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Air is lava! posted:

Aww, You missed the thing! That's all I'm gonna say about it and I hope it stays that way.

Are you talking about The Challenge? Because I read about that, and it horrified me.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

pedrovay2003 posted:

Are you talking about The Challenge? Because I read about that, and it horrified me.

He's not (well, not directly), but seriously - don't worry about it. Just keep going.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

pedrovay2003 posted:

As one who is there right now, I'll tell you that the puzzles themselves aren't actually too bad. The accompanying music is absolutely panic-inducing though.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

The challenge itself isn't too bad, but takes some luck to get puzzles that aren't too hard - ie if one particularly hard one hits you, you're done, and there's a trick in figuring out the second-last part that may/may not come naturally.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The Witness LP: Come for the puzzles, stay for Pete's increasingly exasperated groans!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

FPzero posted:

The Witness LP: Come for the puzzles, stay for Pete's increasingly exasperated groans!

This game makes me twitchy. :-P

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The Mountain is weird.

The further down you go the more I like it. The top is full of these bullshit puzzles that aren't difficult on anything other than a purely visual level. The middle has... well, a similar kind of puzzle but a bit cleverer than simply obfuscating your view of the grid (plus the middle bridge puzzle is pretty great). The bottom puzzle is fantastic although a lot of people tell me they didn't like it so what do I know.

But these stupid things with the visual fuckery are just bad. What were you thinking, Blow?!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Please tell me the nausea-inducing puzzles end after this room. I had to stop the video for a few minutes several times during this one because of the visual fuckery.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The visual fuckery is where I ragequit. Specifically the green side's. I've already kvetched quite a bit about my eyes having difficulty resolving busy parts of the puzzle (starburst vs squares) and that part has that going on all OVER the place.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 14, 2016

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Slaan posted:

Please tell me the nausea-inducing puzzles end after this room. I had to stop the video for a few minutes several times during this one because of the visual fuckery.

There is one more set of panels that could be described as such.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I kind of like the concept of the visual fuckery. Really like that puzzle that just kinda fell into the giant central spire of monitors.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I hated the visual glitchy puzzles and the panels that just made it hard to input the solution. But I powered through them. Sometimes, there is a trick to them and they are less painful to solve than what they originally seem. I did like the setting and quite a few of the other puzzles of the "end-game" stuff, but I still think it's weird that they chose this terrible kind of puzzles this close to the end.

I still think that broken branch puzzle in the temple and some of the reflection puzzles in the dessert underground room with the water raising and lowering were the worst in the game for me though.

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

pedrovay2003 posted:

Oh, that's really interesting. I wonder if I just need to update my game; we're playing the Humble Store version, so updates aren't automatic.

Looking at the Steam updates. There was a one on April 2nd.

quote:

* Minor gameplay tweaks to several puzzles.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay, everyone, part 29 is up! We've got some more weirdy puzzles in this one, but it's nothing we can't handle. We're getting close!

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
oh man, my favorite set of puzzles in the game is coming up :allears:

I totally didn't realize when I was solving the puzzles that the last flashy colored puzzle didn't change the colors of the squares at all, just the background. I took notes like I usually did for the other puzzles in that set.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure B.F. Skinner is THE Skinner, and for anyone who hasn't done some level of Psychology course, Amy's right in saying that Skinner boxes are experimental tools, basically a chamber that will reward a test animal with food under certain circumstances, to reinforce the test animal's actions and make it learn the required task. Pressing a button, pulling a lever, performing specific actions, any of these things. It lets you study changes in behaviour while removing all external variables. Pidgeons get used fairly often, that's why he mentions pidgeons specifically, but they also use rats because pidgeons are the dumbest things in the goddamn world. If you wanted to get a a pidgeon to traverse a maze successfully, I don't see that working well, but rats are great alternatives for anything that might be slightly complex.

My favourite one I heard about was the superstitious pidgeons, but I don't remember the specifics. Basically, the experiment involved a bunch of pidgeons, and a device that would release food on a timer. There was no other trigger for the food. But when the food dropped, the pidgeons couldn't figure out why there was food. So whatever they were doing when the food dropped, they'd continue doing it. Bobbing their heads, flapping their wings, walking in circles, over and over again in order to summon food. And then food arrived again, a set amount of time later. So in their mind, repetitive action = food. Obviously not the case, but you're a pidgeon in a box, you don't really know any better. And then when the food stopped coming entirely, they settled down. When the food was reapplied, they remembered their actions from before and once again continued doing them.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Another cool thing those Skinner boxes showed is that adding a certain amount of randomness into the experiment strengthens the conditioning/addiction.
If a mouse gets rewarded, whenever it presses a button, it will start to push the button less often, because it knows that it can just get some food whenever it wants to. But if pressing the button only gives it a chance for food, possibly with delayed time, it will push that button like mad.

This is basically how many RPGS work.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

No hyperbole, since I quit on the previous floor this was my first time seeing those color puzzles, and when I did so I had to go throw up. Does it get worse from here?

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

No hyperbole, since I quit on the previous floor this was my first time seeing those color puzzles, and when I did so I had to go throw up. Does it get worse from here?

Oh my God, I actually feel really bad right now.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

pedrovay2003 posted:

Oh my God, I actually feel really bad right now.

Not your fault, I was already a little queasy for unrelated reasons and those flashing colors triggered something.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'd probably have said 'gently caress this' to the color puzzles, personally. I thought the original ones were bad, but these are entirely color differentiation for pairing and they're flicking too fast. I probably would get it eventually, but drat, I don't know.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The second to last puzzle stumped me for a long time. I don't think I'd fully made the "starburst = paired with one other thing of the same color" connection yet so I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to solve the puzzle. In the end I guess I either stumbled onto the solution on accident or I had a final realization that that was how the starbursts worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I don't know why I was so surprised to see the sun. This isn't the sort of game where a hookshot or a jetpack is an expected upgrade.

• Locked thread