Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Anyone got a lamb shank preparation that they like? I just remembered I have one in the freezer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Did some pork bratwurst last night using Kenji's recipe; bagged in some nut brown ale, 150 degrees for 75 minutes, finished on the grill and served with chips and grilled asparagus. Really good if you're like me and typically end up losing a lot of juices from the sausages when they split while grilling.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Anyone use SV for meal prepping? Do you do individual bags or just a big bag?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Is it possible to sous vide something for however long (say 48hrs), refrigerate it overnight and then putting it back in to bring it back to serving temperature?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Sure

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Yeah, that's no problem, just cool it down as fast as possible to minimize the ~*~danger zone~*~

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Yeah, plunge the bag in a cooler of ice water until it drops below 40 F, then toss it in the fridge.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am tempted to buy the Anova at the sale price. I have 0 experience with sous vide, and the 150€ is too good to pass up on it. Any big drawbacks with that model?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

deimos posted:

Anyone use SV for meal prepping? Do you do individual bags or just a big bag?

I've done it a few times in individual bags, but always end up going back to sous vide in bulk and then portioning into tupperware.

For me it's mostly a matter of wanting to adjust seasoning, add sauce and veg that makes tupperware work out better; if you're one of those super dedicated people who can hurf down BSCB day in and out then I could see SV in meal sized bags being a worthwhile trading less cleanup for bags + more trash.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Hopper posted:

I am tempted to buy the Anova at the sale price. I have 0 experience with sous vide, and the 150€ is too good to pass up on it. Any big drawbacks with that model?

Nope, it's solid and their support is excellent if you encounter any issues.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Love my Anova One. Really don't look forward to when it dies and I have to replace it with one of the newer, weaker models =/

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I noticed they seem to have reduced the wattage from 1k to 800 compared to the early video reviews, is that what you mean?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Love my Anova One. Really don't look forward to when it dies and I have to replace it with one of the newer, weaker models =/

You can always jump-start the water heating with one of these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EViyccc2t9w

Once it's at temp, whatever small difference in power isn't going to matter.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
When doing steaks, how long in advance would you say I can s+p & bag without curing the meat? I'm buying a large hunk o' beef and portioning it into steaks.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Dane posted:

When doing steaks, how long in advance would you say I can s+p & bag without curing the meat? I'm buying a large hunk o' beef and portioning it into steaks.

Don't S+P in the bag if it's going to be stored for any amount of time. I don't salt meats in the bag when doing SV unless I am cooking it right away. Never pepper, I do that after the sear.

This is strictly based on my own experience and not proof incontrovertible that it's the one true way, I don't want to start a religious war.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm actually going to be doing a bunch of steak for a potluck next week. I figure I will pre-sear, puddle, then ice bath the day before. That way on the day of I can just bring my anova in, bring the meat back up to temperature, season, then slice and serve.

Any issues doing it this way assuming I keep everything refrigerated prior to reheating? The only other option I can think of is just trying to finish it the morning of, sear then and bring it into the office but I think it would be difficult to keep it warmed sufficiently during the drive in.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Tortolia posted:

I'm actually going to be doing a bunch of steak for a potluck next week. I figure I will pre-sear, puddle, then ice bath the day before. That way on the day of I can just bring my anova in, bring the meat back up to temperature, season, then slice and serve.

Any issues doing it this way assuming I keep everything refrigerated prior to reheating? The only other option I can think of is just trying to finish it the morning of, sear then and bring it into the office but I think it would be difficult to keep it warmed sufficiently during the drive in.

Torch finish them at the potluck and look like a badassnerd.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't have a torch else I would!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Sounds like a good excuse to buy a torch! :getin:

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

For what it is worth, I've been using a 17 dollar torch from harbor freight and it works just fine.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Oh dude, is it the gun-shaped one with the flow knob where a revolver cylinder would be and a piezoelectric tip that you activate like a trigger? That's the torch I'm using right now! Got it from the same place! :v:

Torch Buddies! :supaburn::hf::supaburn:

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

That's the one!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Tortolia posted:

As a follow-up, I had tested the pre-sear over the weekend and didn't really like the results, so I ended up doing a modified version of the above plan.

1) Bag and puddle for 13 hours, no pre-sear (used London broil so it needs a good 12+ hours for fajitas/tacos)
2) Ice bath and refrigerate overnight
3) Bring the chilled bags into the office, reheat w/sous vide
4) Pat dry, season, finish with 45-60 seconds on a George Foreman grill.
5) Look like a nerd while doing all this but have a drat good lunch and zero leftover steak

Sure beat trying to reheat via microwave.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Tortolia posted:

As a follow-up, I had tested the pre-sear over the weekend and didn't really like the results, so I ended up doing a modified version of the above plan.

1) Bag and puddle for 13 hours, no pre-sear (used London broil so it needs a good 12+ hours for fajitas/tacos)
2) Ice bath and refrigerate overnight
3) Bring the chilled bags into the office, reheat w/sous vide
4) Pat dry, season, finish with 45-60 seconds on a George Foreman grill.
5) Look like a nerd while doing all this but have a drat good lunch and zero leftover steak

Sure beat trying to reheat via microwave.

Dude, that is way impressive and way more than my lovely coworkers with their Tuna Helper dishes deserve. Nice work!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I just did skirt steak for 12 hours at 131 and i can't really tell much of a difference between this and just cooking it regularly other than what little fat there was was softer. Do I need to cooker it for longer for sous vide to be worth it?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

i've never done a skirt sv I prefer over massive heat and a good crust/mid rare

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Jose posted:

I just did skirt steak for 12 hours at 131 and i can't really tell much of a difference between this and just cooking it regularly other than what little fat there was was softer. Do I need to cooker it for longer for sous vide to be worth it?

Yeah, I don't know what to tell you on skirt. I've had decent experiences with it, but it's never been spectacular. I feel like sous vide really shines with a NY strip, or a ribeye, cooked to 131 or 132, and held at that temp for more than an hour, then seared real quick for a crust.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

If you want your puddle to make something magical do 72hr short ribs.

If you puddle ribeyes try an ice bath, toweling, and air drying before searing it. I know it gets rid of the whole easy as gently caress thing, but you really do take advantage of science. I am tempted to do it with liquid nitro and a deep frier, but, like, even I have morals.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

anothergod posted:

If you puddle ribeyes try an ice bath, toweling, and air drying before searing it. I know it gets rid of the whole easy as gently caress thing, but you really do take advantage of science. I am tempted to do it with liquid nitro and a deep frier, but, like, even I have morals.

Please gopro this if you change your mind.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

anothergod posted:

I feel like I watched someone do this before on YouTube and it looked amazing.

Pretty sure it was this, but there are a few of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_tgxzXmpKQ

You should also totally do it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Any recommendations for boneless chuck? I picked up a piece about an inch and a half thick and nice marbling for cheap, and am thinking sous vide style pot roast if I can figure out the path.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Ultimate Mango posted:

Any recommendations for boneless chuck? I picked up a piece about an inch and a half thick and nice marbling for cheap, and am thinking sous vide style pot roast if I can figure out the path.

Circulate it at 130F for 24 hrs to get soft chuck roast. 48 is too mushy for me.

As far as flavors go, you can do cool stuff just looking up your favorite celebrity chef and their seasoning choices. Personally I'd do some sort of salt, pepper, bay leaf, worcestershire and then this super dope chef step's onion cream technique that I think you can adapt to your faux pot roast. Link here. In addition to roasting onions I'd do the celery, carrot, garlic thing and then spin it with any leftover beef jus, lemon, olive oil, thyme. My girlfriend just appeared in bed with some dope pasta so I'm done you're on your own.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I just ordered the Anova WiFi at the 150€ spring sale price. I won't be buying a vacuum sealer right away and will try the ziplock bag method first. Immediately to mind come the IKEA ziplock bags, has anyone used these?
Or can you recommend a brand available in Europe?

kernel panic
Jul 31, 2006

so we came here to burgle your turts!

Hopper posted:

I just ordered the Anova WiFi at the 150€ spring sale price. I won't be buying a vacuum sealer right away and will try the ziplock bag method first. Immediately to mind come the IKEA ziplock bags, has anyone used these?
Or can you recommend a brand available in Europe?

I used an IKEA bag to do carrots for an hour at ~185 and the seams completely split. Based on that I'd say you'd probably be ok at lower temperatures and short cook times, but I'd get nervous above 150 or for any extended period of time.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I looked at the IKEA bags and they said nothing about temperature specifications, but found that Toppits has a resealabel bags that are sous-vide compatible and not expensive.
They even promote it on their website: https://www.toppits.de/en/Toppits-Double-Closure-Freezer-Bags-818,1858.html

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
edit: Toppits seems to license different zip top technologies from different companies. They have one that uses Ziploc:
http://www.toppits.de/2007-09-06_toppits_de/detail_d1_produkt_en,1328,608.html

I figure either the Ziploc or Safeloc bags from Toppits should be fine as long as you're getting the freezer bag versions

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 24, 2016

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
That's a funny coincidence, I bought some toppits bags today for SV use with my Anova that should arrive this week. I chose the toppits mainly because they have a double seal.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 24, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

anothergod posted:

Circulate it at 130F for 24 hrs to get soft chuck roast. 48 is too mushy for me.

As far as flavors go, you can do cool stuff just looking up your favorite celebrity chef and their seasoning choices. Personally I'd do some sort of salt, pepper, bay leaf, worcestershire and then this super dope chef step's onion cream technique that I think you can adapt to your faux pot roast. Link here. In addition to roasting onions I'd do the celery, carrot, garlic thing and then spin it with any leftover beef jus, lemon, olive oil, thyme. My girlfriend just appeared in bed with some dope pasta so I'm done you're on your own.

Agreed on the time and temp. Note that it won't have the falling-apart texture of pot roast, but instead the nice chew of, say, a medium-rare ribeye, assuming you give it just a quick sear and don't overcook out of the bag. If you want to add some pot roast flavor, I'd suggest just having those flavors be reflected in a pan sauce you apply at the end.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
took a whack at 72 hour short ribs

129.5F

I f'ed up and started em Sunday at like 10 meaning... in order to hit 72 hours (Without going past to like... Eighty hours) and without being late to work... I had to pull em out with 1:30 to go.

a little concerned about the black stuff around the outside. I torched the outside, including the marrow and... I sorta remember reading here some time ago that that's a no-no(?)

Tossed em in an ice bath, put the ice bath into the fridge. Fingers crossed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the skirt steak i had for 12 hours and tossed in an ice bath looked like that and i've eaten one of them without problems

not saying its good but eh