Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Hogama posted:

They're pieces of your city, which is no longer self-contained in a single tile. Regular tile improvements appear to be separate, too, so a tile used for farming isn't being used for a Campus. But you can rezone later on, too?

This might mean you'll want to set up some breadbasket cities to ship food over to your more developed production cities, I couldn't say.

huh actually that sounds really cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Civilization VI: I Get A Little Bit Ghengis Khan

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Civilization VI: Huge Tracts of Colorful Land

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

H13 posted:

Civ VI: Angrily wasting another 200 hours of our lives.

you forgot a 0 in there

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Christo posted:

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Civilization VI: Now with Colored Districts

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Christo posted:

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004
I wouldn't give a gently caress if the game looked like Civ1 or worse - if the game mechanics were interesting and there was solid MP support or intelligent AI opponents. Neither of those things happened in Civ5, which is why I hated it and have no hope at all for this new game. I'm honestly baffled at how many posts there are complaining about the graphics. Who cares! They're fine! In fact, the less involved the art team is with the gameplay, the better!

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Civilization VI: I wish I was a little bit taller

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
From what I can assume are the jungle tiles, they have the same color as the forests (even moreso than in V) just that their foliage and density is different. The mountains are a little strange looking, but that's probably due to how they've not really blended the colors for the peak and the base and inconsistently done it across a range so it looks almost like someone took the base brown mountains and dripped white paint onto them.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Christo posted:

Can someone tell me the song cadence or the reference this is? I feel stupid because everyone else gets it and likes it.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
It's a lyric in a new song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_SlAzsXa7E

Its on satellite radio alt stations like every hour these days.

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 13, 2016

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

The Human Crouton posted:

Can someone tell me the song cadence or the reference this is? I feel stupid because everyone else gets it and likes it.

e;fb

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
I really hope they make the ai not retarded garbage background noise this time. it completely killed civ 5 for me. civ 4 AI had infinitely more personality

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
So the whole city unstacking means barbs are going be even more of a nuisance? Really hope they can't delay wonder progress this way.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Uncle Jam posted:

It's a lyric in a new song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_SlAzsXa7E

Its on satellite radio alt stations like every hour these days.

I listen to those stations. Somehow I missed this.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
That was a fun video and song.

Also yeah I just want the AI to be a bit more robust in Civ VI, more than any particular feature that's what I want. Playing Civ multiplayer in our friend group has left deeper scars than the heydey of Dota2 stacks, because some of my friends are very peaceful and some of my friends loving love nuclear proliferation. So, it's easier for everyone involved if we just play our separate games and shoot the poo poo with each other in mumble or something.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

When it turns out to not actually learn lessons from the most recent title we can just use Civ VI: Beyond Disappointment.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Considering that the bad AI is basically the only thing everyone can agree is clearly wrong with Civ5, if they don't fix it in Civ6 then it'll be because they can't write a 4x AI that works.

Which would be weird, seeing as the Civ4 AI was reasonably functional. I mean, it's okay if the warfare AI is still pants-on-head in Civ6, as long as diplomacy works properly.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I feel like civ 4s ai was still pretty dense but it's easier to program an ai that throws doomstacks at you.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

German Joey posted:

I wouldn't give a gently caress if the game looked like Civ1 or worse - if the game mechanics were interesting and there was solid MP support or intelligent AI opponents. Neither of those things happened in Civ5, which is why I hated it and have no hope at all for this new game. I'm honestly baffled at how many posts there are complaining about the graphics. Who cares! They're fine! In fact, the less involved the art team is with the gameplay, the better!

Hey joey, are you still playing on RB? I haven't been there for ages.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

Hey joey, are you still playing on RB? I haven't been there for ages.

oh hello, yes I still post there, although I can't play in any pitbosses right now cause I'm too busy w/ IRL stuff (new baby, and tryin' to start a business). I actually meant to take a break from the site for a bit because of that stuff, but I'm still kinda addicted to watching how PB27's gonna turn out... it's such an epic game.

My last game there was in PB29 , which ended in January. It was a totally beautiful game until IRL pressures (the baby just refused to sleep at that time :gonk:) collided with an in-game powderkeg situation with the other game leader, who was going through some similar IRL stuff of his own at the time I guess, so the game ended in a total clusterfuck. :xd: Ironic, considering that until that point the game wasn't the usual bloodbath. edit: You can read it here: here, if you want.

Who are you on there?

German Joey fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 13, 2016

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

I feel like civ 4s ai was still pretty dense but it's easier to program an ai that throws doomstacks at you.

To me, that's a big plus in unit-stacking's column. The Civ4 AI might still have been totally incompetent in war, but it, like... still did something? You still had to deal with those units somehow, and still had to take some losses to kill them.

The Civ4 AI was like a clumsy, blindfolded buffoon trying to swing a big steel broadsword at you, as opposed to the Civ5 AI, which was like as if you tried duct-taping the broadsword into the hand of a real doll.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm Nicolae, haven't played Civ4 for ages, not sure I'd hold up these days. I played a bit of GMR Civ5 on SA, won some, lost some.

Also nice, you got paired up with Mackoti. He's probably the single strongest player I've seen, and he's comes off as playing purely through intuition.

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

I'm Nicolae, haven't played Civ4 for ages, not sure I'd hold up these days. I played a bit of GMR Civ5 on SA, won some, lost some.

Also nice, you got paired up with Mackoti. He's probably the single strongest player I've seen, and he's comes off as playing purely through intuition.

Oh right on, I remember you, you were one of the guys who did that goofy Barry Lyndon thing in PB18!

And, heh, you misunderstand. Mack didn't pair up with me, he subbed in for me (he owed me one cause I subbed in for him in a game last year) after I ragequit after Haram (the other frontrunner) ragequit when I started going total war psychogamer on him for what he considered a minor snipe that was some payback for some earlier aggression I pulled on him. I felt like, what's the point of spending an hour or more every drat day on this game if I'm not still playing against the same guy I've had such an intense match with so far?

But yeah, Mack's awesome, his ability to read into the metagame and figure out what his opponents will do months before they actually do it borders on the otherworldly. It's some real Hunter x Hunter poo poo, where he blindsides you by countering your counter that you prepared to fake counter his fake counter to your feint...

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

German Joey posted:

To me, that's a big plus in unit-stacking's column. The Civ4 AI might still have been totally incompetent in war, but it, like... still did something? You still had to deal with those units somehow, and still had to take some losses to kill them.

The Civ4 AI was like a clumsy, blindfolded buffoon trying to swing a big steel broadsword at you, as opposed to the Civ5 AI, which was like as if you tried duct-taping the broadsword into the hand of a real doll.
I get this experience in Civ V from playing against five or six Hitlers. But that's mods obv

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The Something Awful Forums > Games > Civilization VI: I am angry. ANGRY ABOUT COLORS

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010
IGN has an interview up about the art direction. Aside from justifying the changes from CiV, FIraxis' art director reveals some things not shown in the released screenshots: the UI will have an "Age of Exploration" theme this time around and the fog of war will look like map parchment. Furthermore, finishing a wonder will reward you with a building sequence rendered in-game.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Yessssss

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I'm more ticked off at the fact they think they can charge 50 for the base edition and think that's okay.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I for one am perfectly content to play Civ V for another 5 years and then buy the Civ VI Complete Mega-Platinum Bonus Edition for :20bux: on a Steam sale.

The initial release is going to kinda suck like all initial releases do, $60 is a bit much to pay for the privilege of getting to be a beta tester.

Harmonia
Jul 1, 2014

Barnaby Barnacle posted:

IGN has an interview up about the art direction. Aside from justifying the changes from CiV, FIraxis' art director reveals some things not shown in the released screenshots: the UI will have an "Age of Exploration" theme this time around and the fog of war will look like map parchment. Furthermore, finishing a wonder will reward you with a building sequence rendered in-game.

Also, the basic units will have different graphics based on culture which, while doesn't affect gameplay, is very nice.

The game will have a night-day cycle in game, not tied to turns but a cycle going on all the time while playing. Sweet.

well see more customization in basic unit types in their representation from culture to culture than in past Civilization games. We still have our unique units. Like, you see the Samurai, which are still unique the Japanese. But even the base units, like the Pikemen, all have a cultural flare to them. Drawing from a collection of region-specific cosmetic pieces, Firaxis is creating variations to suit their home countries. You still need to be able to read them as Pikemen he still needs a long post, and its a very iconic shape. But weve gone a little further by changing up helmets, maybe the ends of the pike looks slightly different depending on the region the character is from. Weve also got different skin tones, different ethnicity for the characters.

Harmonia fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 13, 2016

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Harmonia posted:

The game will have a night-day cycle in game, not tied to turns but a cycle going on all the time while playing. Sweet.

This seems silly, considering it's not like it'll be tied to days, but will change from day to night back to day over the course of, what, 500 years or something?

"Really strange weather we're having this millennium."

This isn't a complaint, mind you. Just that the night-day cycle in a game like this seems rather silly.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

thrawn527 posted:

This seems silly, considering it's not like it'll be tied to days, but will change from day to night back to day over the course of, what, 500 years or something?

"Really strange weather we're having this millennium."

This isn't a complaint, mind you. Just that the night-day cycle in a game like this seems rather silly.

It sounds like it's more of a cosmetic effect? Like you're sitting there taking your turn and you can watch the sun slowly rise and set in a loop.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Gabriel Pope posted:

It sounds like it's more of a cosmetic effect? Like you're sitting there taking your turn and you can watch the sun slowly rise and set in a loop.

Oh sure, I know. And it doesn't really matter. Just, like I said, a bit silly.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

They said it could just be set to 1 time the full game, or it can run on a cycle or it can set across the full game.

Mostly it seems like they're just excited to use it for the wonder videos.

E: I'm installing Civ 1 and 2 from this ancient disc I have lying around. Wish my luck on that.

EE: Miserable failure.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 13, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

They said it could just be set to 1 time the full game, or it can run on a cycle or it can set across the full game.

Mostly it seems like they're just excited to use it for the wonder videos.

a) Thank Christ it's optional, I hate it when you have to squint half the time in a game because it's decided to go to a completely unnecessary nighttime look.
b) Stonehenge is going to result in multiple sunrise/sunset events, isn't it? So you'll be able to tell when someone's built it because a week will pass in, like, five minutes. :v:

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Civilization 6: Baby Yetu Yet You Love It

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

a) Thank Christ it's optional, I hate it when you have to squint half the time in a game because it's decided to go to a completely unnecessary nighttime look.

Night time shouldn't really matter anyway once you reach the modern age, though. You can light things up once you research the Fission technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Huh distinct cultural units sound good but running around with chivalric knights as the Chinese was sort of an appeal of the franchise to me all the same, just like having an Egyptian obelisk and The Parthenon slap in the middle of my Aztec capital. As long as it doesn't mean we get less graphical types to choose from (not that Civ V was great in that regard either) I guess it's a good thing though.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

same, goddamn, I don't understand the appeal of day/night cycles in these kinds of games at all

• Locked thread