Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
If Bill Clinton was the "first" black president does this make Obama the first gay one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

hhhat posted:

I know that lol nothing matters and etc but really, this poo poo is having an impact on Republicans. Not the MERICA gently caress YEAH base but the milquetoast 'we voted for Jeb/Marco/Kasich' folks I know won't be voting for Trump. The National Review types who don't know their ideas are actually trash and still manage to vote Republican are stuck without someone to vote for and the more stuff like this comes out the less likely they're going to go FULL R in November. Dunno what percentage they are and sure anecdotes but whatever there's some lifelong Republicans out there already out of the game this go around. They won't be voting Clinton because LIBERALS but they also won't vote Trump. Meanwhile sure the biker klan frat power types are excited, but there aren't that loving many of them. Not enough to win a national election. And I get a warm fuzzy when I hear these guys at work talk poo poo about their party's candidate. Didn't happen with Mittens. Or McCain. Or Bush 2. But Trump, they're like 'hey you're a liberal right? isn't this guy terrible?' I can't be the only one seeing this.

:toot:

You're not. But literally every election leftist folks fall for the Silent Majority bullshit, as if there's a cabal of died in the wool conservatives who will emerge from the aether on election day and vote straight-ticket R.

McCain was going to pull it out somehow, Romney was going to beat Obama through the unstoppable white vote, and now Trump is polling within the MoE of Clinton in one poll five months before half the country has given even one thought to the election. The sky is falling, woe is us.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

His Purple Majesty posted:

If Bill Clinton was the "first" black president does this make Obama the first gay one?

By the same metric, sure, but it's weird to see people still framing "gay" as a pejorative.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Munkeymon posted:

It's much more likely that a lovely, abusive parent would refuse to certify their child's chosen gender identity.

That's definitely true, and honestly a larger concern than the hypotheticals about creepy teens. Overall something substantial needs to be done for trans kids(and other LGBT youth) with unaccepting parents. I'm not sure what exactly but an alternative to "just wait it out" is clearly needed.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

FAUXTON posted:

By the same metric, sure, but it's weird to see people still framing "gay" as a pejorative.

About 600 terrible political cartoons have done this, and yeah, it's always with "gay" being "bad" somehow.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Inferior Third Season posted:

the main line of enforcement of policies are school employees, who might very well interpret this new mandate as allowing everyone to use whatever bathroom they want at all times.

I'm not sure why you assume school employees are so uniquely stupid as to all interpret this policy in this uniquely stupid way.

E: VVV But why are they the ones who will misinterpret this policy as opposed to, say, a mid-level Target manager with a GED?

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 13, 2016

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008

WampaLord posted:

I'm not sure why you assume school employees are so uniquely stupid as to all interpret this policy in this uniquely stupid way.

Have you ever interacted with a school administrator?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Have you ever interacted with a school administrator?

Yes and while many of them are lazy and want to take the least effort solution the real unifying characteristic of most of them I've encountered is that they will gently caress over any student without hesitation if it means that they won't have to deal with an angry parent. There's no way they would just implement a "wherever you want" policy because that is guaranteed to generate angry calls and meetings.

If they did I would expect the actual implementation to be that two formerly gendered single person bathrooms on the other side of the gym will become unisex.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Litany Unheard posted:

You're not. But literally every election leftist folks fall for the Silent Majority bullshit, as if there's a cabal of died in the wool conservatives who will emerge from the aether on election day and vote straight-ticket R.

McCain was going to pull it out somehow, Romney was going to beat Obama through the unstoppable white vote, and now Trump is polling within the MoE of Clinton in one poll five months before half the country has given even one thought to the election. The sky is falling, woe is us.

"Died" is the right word to use for them now.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

WampaLord posted:

E: VVV But why are they the ones who will misinterpret this policy as opposed to, say, a mid-level Target manager with a GED?

Who said anything about stupid? There's plenty of bigoted school officials that would allow it so they can point out how evil Obama/transpeople is.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Yeesh, Trump's butler keeps digging himself in a deeper and deeper hole. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the probable white supremacist/nutjob tree for Trump?

quote:

Donald Trump's longtime butler Anthony Senecal told NBC News Thursday that he thinks President Barack Obama should be "hung ... from the portico of the White Mosque — it used to be the White House."

In a phone interview with NBC News, Senecal stood by his remarks in the Facebook post and went even further, saying the president's children were "rent-a-kids" because he felt they didn't look sufficiently like their parents, and that Muslims should be shot or bombed in the U.S.

"There's more than some issues with [President Obama] — he's a goddamn traitor, T-R-A-I-T-O-R," Senecal said. "I think he should be hung. I think he should be hung next to Hillary Clinton, and I think it should be public, I think it should be televised."

He added: "I think it ought to be done from the portico of the White Mosque — it used to be the White House."

Senecal said "it's a good possibility" that President Obama is a Muslim, and "I know he was" born in Kenya, though he admitted he can't prove it.

Of the Obama's children, Senecal said he felt they may not actually be related to the president and his wife because, "first of all, they don't even look like him. There's no notification of their birth. I haven't seen a baby picture yet."

Senecal also expressed frustration over Muslims, saying, "I do not like them, any of them … I don't trust them." He added that the few American Muslims he knows are "nice people," though he had harsh words for Muslim immigrants.

"But the boatloads they're bringing in here, I have no use for," he said. "I think they ought to be shot at the shore."

Senecal said Muslims have "just totally disgraced" some cities in the U.S., naming Detroit and Milwaukee as examples, and suggested the U.S. "designate those as nuclear bomb sites."

"We need to bomb em out," he said. "I could care less if they're in the U.S. — I don't want em in the U.S., they don't belong here. They belong in the sand dunes where they came from."

Senecal said repeatedly he had never discussed his political views with his employer, choosing rather to air them on Facebook when "I get really ticked off."

It was precisely that — a Facebook post — that drew Senecal fresh scrutiny Thursday, after Mother Jones reported on a post in which he said "our pus headed 'president' … should have been taken out by our military and shot as an enemy agent in his first term!!!!!"

The post was only accessible to those who are friends with Senecal on Facebook, but according to Mother Jones, the former Trump butler has a long history of writing such posts attacking the president, Hillary Clinton and other politicians while promoting his former employer.

In one from 2015, Senecal called Clinton "Killery Clinton" and said "she should be in prison awaiting hanging," according to Mother Jones.

During the phone interview, Senecal acknowledged his posts were "absolutely controversial — and that's the way I want it."

"I want people to start to think," he said. But while Senecal speculated it was possible that after Trump read his comments he might tell him, "you're fired," he insisted that was unlikely.

"He wouldn't fire me over this — he might tell me to tone it down — but I'm sure he wouldn't fire me," Senecal said, describing Trump as "loyal."

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

hhhat posted:

I know that lol nothing matters and etc but really, this poo poo is having an impact on Republicans. Not the MERICA gently caress YEAH base but the milquetoast 'we voted for Jeb/Marco/Kasich' folks I know won't be voting for Trump. The National Review types who don't know their ideas are actually trash and still manage to vote Republican are stuck without someone to vote for and the more stuff like this comes out the less likely they're going to go FULL R in November. Dunno what percentage they are and sure anecdotes but whatever there's some lifelong Republicans out there already out of the game this go around. They won't be voting Clinton because LIBERALS but they also won't vote Trump. Meanwhile sure the biker klan frat power types are excited, but there aren't that loving many of them. Not enough to win a national election. And I get a warm fuzzy when I hear these guys at work talk poo poo about their party's candidate. Didn't happen with Mittens. Or McCain. Or Bush 2. But Trump, they're like 'hey you're a liberal right? isn't this guy terrible?' I can't be the only one seeing this.

:toot:

Just to add my anecdotal evidence to this, I have 2 conservative friends I've talked to about this. One is a business first libertarian and the other a fundie bible thumper and both of them hate trump (they were rubio and carson supporters, respectively). Whether that means they suck it up and vote for him in the general or actually go looking for 3rd party options as claimed, nobody knows.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

duz posted:

Who said anything about stupid? There's plenty of bigoted school officials that would allow it so they can point out how evil Obama/transpeople is.

The bigoted ones who are the ones that are super pissed about men going into women's bathrooms, though? :confused:

They're going to to allow any guy to go into any bathroom just to make Obama/transpeople look bad?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

If the bible thumper friend who supported Carson doesn't feel betrayed by Carson supporting Trump and being on his VP committee, then he needs a hard slap in the back of the head.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Bible thumpers are into S&M though so that won't work.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

Yeesh, Trump's butler keeps digging himself in a deeper and deeper hole. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the probable white supremacist/nutjob tree for Trump?
I've now decided to believe that Trump was just a harmless and stupid, if brash, idiot kid. Then, one fateful day, by chance, he purchased the estate Mar-A-Lago, where he first encountered an innocent-seeming butler. But, it turns out, this butler was actually a hateful man, who saw in Trump a potential protégé to mold into a monster.

Basically, the butler is Palpatine, Trump is Anakin, and we are all the jedi about to be wiped out in horrific violence.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

WampaLord posted:

The bigoted ones who are the ones that are super pissed about men going into women's bathrooms, though? :confused:

They're going to to allow any guy to go into any bathroom just to make Obama/transpeople look bad?
Bigoted men are currently going into women's bathrooms to "check" for transexuals, so yes?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Excerpts from the newly proposed Texas Republican Party Platform:

Texas GOP platform posted:

Employment Non-Discrimination Act and Laws - We oppose government regulations that coerce business owners and employees to violate their own consciences, beliefs, and principles.

Remedies to Activist Judiciary - ...We urge Congress to withhold Supreme Court jurisdiction in cases involving abortion, religious freedom, and the Bill of Rights...

Family and Defense of Marriage - We support the definition of marriage as a God-ordained, legal and moral commitment only between one natural man and one natural woman.

Overturning Obergefell v. Hodges - We believe this decision, overturning the Texas law prohibiting same sex marriage in Texas, has no basis in the Constitution and should be reversed, returning jurisdiction over the definition of marriage to the states. The Governor and other elected officials of the state of Texas should assert our Tenth Amendment right and reject the Supreme Court ruling.

Protection for Religious Institutions - We believe religious institutions have the freedom to recognize and perform only those marriages that are consistent with their doctrine.

Homosexuality - Homosexuality is a chosen behavior that is contrary to the fundamental unchanging truths that has been ordained by God in the Bible, recognized by our nations founders, and shared by the majority of Texans. Homosexuality must not be presented as an acceptable alternative lifestyle, in public policy, nor should family be redefined to include homosexual couples. We oppose the granting of special legal entitlements or creation of special status for homosexual behavior, regardless of state of origin. We oppose any criminal or civil penalties against those who oppose homosexuality out of faith, conviction, or belief in traditional values.

Counseling and Therapy - No laws or executive orders shall be imposed to limit or restrict access to sexual orientation change efforts for self-motivated youth and adults.

Gender Identity - We urge the enactment of legislation addressing individuals’ use of bathrooms, showers and locker rooms that correspond with their biologically determined sex.

Sex Education - We respect parental authority regarding sex education. We support the teaching of biology of reproduction and abstinence until marriage. We should prohibit entities and their affiliates that contradict our beliefs from conducting sex education and/or teacher training in public schools. We oppose all policies and curriculum that teach alternate lifestyles including homosexuality, transgender and other non-traditional lifestyles as normal.

Safeguarding Religious Liberties - ...We also support vigorously protecting the rights of commercial establishments to refuse to provide any service or product that would infringe upon freedom of conscience of religious expression of the commercial establishments as stated in the 1st Amendment.

Freedom of Conscience - That legislation at the state and federal level be passed that concretely defines public accommodations as originally defined and understood in the Civil Rights Act of 1964, that it prohibit any expansion of that legal definition by any federal, state or local law to expand government control to restrict any First Amendment rights; and to proscribe any law that requires any private business or individual to create or provide a custom product or service, or any kind of expressive work, or enter into a contract, or be coerced into any speech that is not their own.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

This is definitely similar to a school administrator implementing a policy that would get them shitcanned almost immediately.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So it looks like the bathroom bill was a bunch of dickbags going into a state other than their own, doing their level best to turn it into a bigoted hellhole, and then watching as the government retaliated by stomping on the state they ruined. Any way to more personally hurt the people who came up with it? I feel that the state of North Carolina is kind of a victim here.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
This was all part of Bill Clinton's vision for a better America. You were warned in 1992.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSJhhKwWhWo

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Darth Walrus posted:

So it looks like the bathroom bill was a bunch of dickbags going into a state other than their own, doing their level best to turn it into a bigoted hellhole, and then watching as the government retaliated by stomping on the state they ruined. Any way to more personally hurt the people who came up with it? I feel that the state of North Carolina is kind of a victim here.

Anti choice abortion laws work the same way.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Elections have consequences. If those elections were representative of the people is still a reasonable question. It has been supposed that NC has been electing carpet baggers, but evidently someone liked their policies.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

Litany Unheard posted:

I'll admit I had a serious moment of weakness in the summer of 2012 when that Chick-Fil-a poo poo was blowing up and white people were lining up out the door to buy their lovely chicken as a sign of anti-gay solidarity. I really thought they might have had the energy to beat a President leading a weak economy and championing an unpopular healthcare overhaul. Turns out it was easier to buy chicken than to vote.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Somewhere, in a Cuban brothel, Rush Limbaugh nods in satisfaction.

"Yesssss, go forth and spread your hate. Let it flow through you."

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

RuanGacho posted:

Elections have consequences. If those elections were representative of the people is still a reasonable question. It has been supposed that NC has been electing carpet baggers, but evidently someone liked their policies.

it's certainly because a majority of NC residents are assholes who wanted it and not because of gerrymandering nosiree

http://www.ncleg.net/representation/WhoRepresentsMe.aspx

oh wait

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

MC Nietzche posted:

I'll admit I had a serious moment of weakness in the summer of 2012 when that Chick-Fil-a poo poo was blowing up and white people were lining up out the door to buy their lovely chicken as a sign of anti-gay solidarity. I really thought they might have had the energy to beat a President leading a weak economy and championing an unpopular healthcare overhaul. Turns out it was easier to buy chicken than to vote.

Was there any actually data on how much that amounted to in terms of sales? The media loves to pretend that right wing movements are huge when in actuality like ten guys show up with lawn chairs and are carefully photographed to mask that fact.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

probably yea, but like said since so many see 'gay' as an insult and unlike 'black' where it was super clear 'yea no poo poo Bill Clinton isn't actually black' there are genuinely people who believe Obama is some kinda secret gay, we can't really use that nickname

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Slate Action posted:

Excerpts from the newly proposed Texas Republican Party Platform:

You ain't seen nothing yet. Just wait until July, when the Cruzites get to write the national platform.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

ComradeCosmobot posted:

You ain't seen nothing yet. Just wait until July, when the Cruzites get to write the national platform.

Trump doesn't give a gently caress about what's on the official GOP platform. In his mind, the platform is whatever comes out of his mouth at any given moment. As a result, I wonder if he'll just leave the writing of the thing to others and Cruz will sneak a bunch of stuff in.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

hhhat posted:

it's certainly because a majority of NC residents are assholes who wanted it and not because of gerrymandering nosiree

http://www.ncleg.net/representation/WhoRepresentsMe.aspx

oh wait

Of note: take a look at US House District 12, which drives down I-85 gobbling black neighborhoods as it goes (it used to extend all the way to Durham, another 2 hours of driving). And district 4, which is so terrified of accidentally incorporating a single conservative voter that it becomes narrow enough to through a baseball over (it's less wide than the Cape Fear river).

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Hitler and Goebbels were right. Tell a big enough lie and keep telling it often enough and it becomes truth for people.

It's pretty amazing how the far Right news/talk radio echo chamber has managed to spin so hard and so fast that people are literally convinced that Obama is an evil Kenyan Muslim usurper tyrant while Hillary Clinton - soon to be convicted traitor any day now - literally ordered the deaths at Benghazi and betrayal of Ambassador Stevens and personally garroted Vilerat from the back based on no evidence with even the slightest connection to reality.

I'm sure some scientist or chemist somewhere would appreciate the high-velocity centrifuge used for this kind of spinning put to better use.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Inferior Third Season posted:

I'm a bit torn on this. If there is one group in the world that can make the Republican bathroom horror fantasies come true, it's American high school boys. The combination of teenage idiocy and incompetent school administrations could put together the conditions for boys to just start going into girls' bathrooms and harassing them. A few stories will get out about boomers' daughters being bothered by "transexuals" in their schools' bathrooms, and this could turn very ugly.

On the other hand, I feel for the situation that transexual students are in, and this hopefully can make things better for them.

It's really only a problem because of the 'controversy'. Transgender people have been using bathrooms for thousands of years and for the most part nobody gave a gently caress. Now that it's a constructed wedge issue for the election it's on everybody's mind. In the last month or so I've had several (cis) friends get harrased by creepy conservative men in the restroom (or just outside) because they didn't look 'feminine' enough. Every one of them that was on the fence with this issue is now firmly on the side of transgender rights.

High school students are always idiots, but it's not permissable to discriminate just because some people may be jerks. Bathrooms have a long history of discrimination in the US (even women had to fight to get public accomodations at all). Bathrooms are required to particiate in public life, so restrictions on bathroom usage are restrictions on existing in public. It can be even worse for transgender women in the US because the most commonly prescribed anti-androgen is also a diuretic, and not having safe bathroom access can cause serious dehydration and/or bladder issues.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I wonder if we're going to see another George Wallace blocking the doorway moment somewhere in the South (probably North Carolina). God I hope Obama uses the feds to enforce this if he has to.

I'm just glad it's North Carolina and not Alabama. We already had Wallace, and we already have our hands full with an impeachment investigation for our governor and the 2nd loving time the chief justice is being forcibly removed. Maybe our corruption & racism/bigotry quota was full and it just had to carryover into NC.

MC Nietzche posted:

To be fair: it's good fast food chicken (and waffle fries). Voting just causes hopelessness and cynicism.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

AbsoluteLlama posted:

To be fair: it's good fast food chicken (and waffle fries). Voting just causes hopelessness and cynicism.

Make your own food without supporting garbage trashbabies.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/07/the-food-lab-how-to-make-a-chick-fil-a-sandwich-at-home.html

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

RuanGacho posted:

But nevermind those elections were held in off years with rank voter suppression,

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Dubstep Jesus posted:

This is definitely similar to a school administrator implementing a policy that would get them shitcanned almost immediately.

Look, there's no need to be so obtuse over this. There are tons and ton of school administrators all over the country, right? Don't we, every year, hear stories about how some chucklefuck did something stupid or lovely in the name of running a school?

So it doesn't seem all that unlikely that we'll hear a story along those lines regarding this specific issue that gets blown way out of proportion. It's not a slight against all school administrators. Quit being obtuse, this is a dumb argument.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

Of note: take a look at US House District 12, which drives down I-85 gobbling black neighborhoods as it goes (it used to extend all the way to Durham, another 2 hours of driving). And district 4, which is so terrified of accidentally incorporating a single conservative voter that it becomes narrow enough to through a baseball over (it's less wide than the Cape Fear river).

I pray for a miracle D sweep that immediately passes a hard law about gerrymandering that mandates computer generated districts so nobody can draw one, have it work for a year while it gets eventually overruled, and then get elected anyway in the meantime. And then we get the SCOTUS so it survives the ten billion challenges. And then I can stop being represented by whoever the OORAHs in Fort Bragg think will kill the most brown people even though I live in the suburbs two loving hours away.

For this I will dance on the street corner wearing a Hillary cosplay in November

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

hhhat posted:

I pray for a miracle D sweep that immediately passes a hard law about gerrymandering that mandates computer generated districts so nobody can draw one, have it work for a year while it gets eventually overruled, and then get elected anyway in the meantime. And then we get the SCOTUS so it survives the ten billion challenges. And then I can stop being represented by whoever the OORAHs in Fort Bragg think will kill the most brown people even though I live in the suburbs two loving hours away.

For this I will dance on the street corner wearing a Hillary cosplay in November

Democrats care about gerrymandering when we're out of power.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

hhhat posted:

In the Republican's defense, the reason gerrymandering was so easy for NC Republicans is that the state had been controlled for so long by a Democratic party that was happily using gerrymandering as much as they could. If the Democrats had been ethical about districting in the first place we wouldn't be in this mess.

(This mess being a situation where they were able to lump in enough rural counties to turn Asheville, "the San Francisco of the South", red)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

I mean, I think nationally congress would be well-served by passing a bill that mandated computer drawn districts reviewed by courts -- but self-interest will keep that from ever happening.

• Locked thread