Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

mortons stork posted:

Are there greatshields that even a wimpy str-faith hybrid like my character can wear? Beyond the one they brought back from ds1 I mean. Cause right now I thought about tanking all the bosses and greatswording in heavy armour but it turns out it's still only viable to dodge around in mirrah clothes and curved sword at the point I'm at (Dragonslayer armour and champion gundyr). Maybe I should just give up and respec into dex faith or equality?

If you want a 100% phys great shield I think you need like 30STR minimum. Great shields are really drat good in this game, if you've got the equipment load to handle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Bigass shields help even if you do not have the stats for them, but they eat so much extra stamina. Once you are swole enough to carry the shield it's back to normal and just knocking off pixels. Just having a 100% shield of any size helps a shitload.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
The patch added a cool new feature where the game freezes for a full second or so every 1-2 minutes for added challenge. FROM has done it again.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Small and Blue posted:

The patch added a cool new feature where the game freezes for a full second or so every 1-2 minutes for added challenge. FROM has done it again.
gotta make sure you're not hacking

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Leave a Firebomb at the crows nest, you could get a large shard that way.

Otherwise the Stray Demon is probably the earliest large shard.

As mentioned earlier, the dragon on the high wall drops one. If you save Greirat and but on two types of arrows, you'll generally have enough to make him fly away.

Best spot to do it is just before the door behind his fire leading to the Mimic; you can shoot his wing from there and he won't move his head or flame you or anything. Can even be done with sorcery. That, the tree skip to trade a firebomb means you can get a +4 anything really early.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
There's a good spot to hit him on that little wooden platform by the stairs also, you can't be hit by his fire there. Shooting his head does double damage or so, but his head tends to move a lot and it's irritating. Not sure if waiting for his animation to reset is actually faster than shooting another part of his body for less damage. I wish I had a leg or something to wail on.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Are Pyromancy Flames like Talismans where it seems like you get very little from reinforcing them? I seem to remember SpellBuff difference between a +0 and +10 Talisman on my 50 Faith character being like 50. I might just wait until I can buy the relevant Titanite before upping it if so.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

What the gently caress did they do? I'm getting janky 2 second long freezes all the time. Even doing something as simple as buffing my weapon.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Monomythian posted:

What the gently caress did they do? I'm getting janky 2 second long freezes all the time. Even doing something as simple as buffing my weapon.

Yeah, the game's back to being nigh unplayable for me again. That's cool, FROM. It's not like I wanted to finish this game or anything. :negative:

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

WaltherFeng posted:

I wish the shoulder tackle and roundhouse kick were his weapon arts.

the first time he roundhouse'd me after popping me up in the air, my jaw just dropped. it was such a cool move for a boss to do. I wasn't even mad

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Monomythian posted:

Vanderdeath posted:

Yeah, the game's back to being nigh unplayable for me again. That's cool, FROM. It's not like I wanted to finish this game or anything. :negative:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I haven't gotten a chance to play since the patch dropped, but every other patch has resulted in worse performance. Can't wait to see what this one ruins. I'll probably never finish this game.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Started up a Whip/Pyro character last night, and since I haven't made it to Cathedral yet for my first whip, I figured I'd Raw up an rear end and use it till I got the Whip. Man - y'all weren't kidding about that thing being OP. Even in PvE, spamming R1 wrecks EVERYTHING. And it's only +1.

In other news, I learned that the Dancer glitch still works even if you screw it up a few times, because I kept dying in an assortment of stupid ways before finally being successful at it - including a quick combo landing as I was trying to get to Quit Game on the menu. You can also summonbro for Bort to get embers. As long as he's still alive in your world, you're good. The initial set of dodges for the Dancer becomes tricky, since when you start the fight from the fog gate instead of the altar - she's gunning directly for YOU until Sword Master finally gets in there and lands at least one hit.

Pretty sure I have never before conveyed the phrase "raw up an rear end and use it" :v:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

how do you do this, From?

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

lite_sleepr posted:

Raw rear end is p great FYI.

Mods please change my name to this.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

double nine posted:

working as intended

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Been doing a mostly INT build for funsies. Nameless King is not fun when you have barely enough HP for most of his attacks and not enough for the rest of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtmfYSFn6Gw

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Online on PS4 seems hosed today. Watching a streamer get hit from miles away by things not straight swords, and I'm experiencing it myself. Forget trying to run or roll away.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Kild posted:

working as intended

The real dark souls starts here?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

SpazmasterX posted:

Been doing a mostly INT build for funsies. Nameless King is not fun when you have barely enough HP for most of his attacks and not enough for the rest of them.

Heh. Near the end there, I could see you didn't have enough FP to cast Soul Spear, and I was sitting here shouting "drink! drink! drink!" because I know how bad the "unable to cast" animation has screwed me over. Then I got all :ohdear: when you tried to cast and couldn't.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Fashion Sooooouuuulllls. Always had a soft spot for the Eastern Helm.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Kild posted:

Patch seems to do address cheat issues. Changing a lot of effects from 0x3F07 [target Self, Friend, Enemy, Player, AI, Live, Ghost, WhiteGhost, BlackGhost, Attacker;] to 0x3F04 [target Self, Live, Ghost, WhiteGhost, BlackGhost and Attacker only (no Friend, Enemy, Player or AI)]

Wow.

It took them... almost four years to do what I figured out how to do in a few months, and what eur0pa did with PVP Watchdog.

Can this be... progress?

I'm actually shocked.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

MrLonghair posted:

Online on PS4 seems hosed today. Watching a streamer get hit from miles away by things not straight swords, and I'm experiencing it myself. Forget trying to run or roll away.

https://u.pomf.is/poutre.mp4

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

nameless king is such a piece of poo poo boss.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

HaB posted:

Started up a Whip/Pyro character last night, and since I haven't made it to Cathedral yet for my first whip, I figured I'd Raw up an rear end and use it till I got the Whip. Man - y'all weren't kidding about that thing being OP. Even in PvE, spamming R1 wrecks EVERYTHING. And it's only +1.

You can get the normal whip in undead settlement. It's garbage, but it's there.

Really wish you could get into the archives for the locks early.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

TheNightReaver posted:

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but this takes DS3 to a whole new level...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esOpx7ybPt8

pro click

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

double nine posted:

nameless king is such a piece of poo poo boss.

NK himself is pretty cool, but I hated having to fight his bird-dragon every time I had to retry.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

double nine posted:

I dunno if this or FFXIII-2 (wherein you were required to plug in a gamepad, start up the game, stop the game, unplug the gamepad, plug in the gamepad again, and then start up the game again so that it wouldn't be unbearably laggy) is in the lead for Worst PC Port (FPS Category), but it's a drat close race.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Went and respecced my sorc named 99 INT to 99 INT, 15 ATT, Assassin base, ending up lv99. The PvP is challenging but I get to be a loving dickbag. Crystal homie soulmass is the only thing I need to slot.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

TheNightReaver posted:

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but this takes DS3 to a whole new level...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esOpx7ybPt8

I was already laughing but then when I spotted what had been there the whole time.... :vince:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It continues to amaze me how late you get Soul Mass in this game. In every previous game (I think, can't remember exactly how you get it in DeS) you can get it well before you're halfway through the game. In this one you have to be like 75% done. It's just such a weird choice, it is a pretty fundamental spell and does the scaling with INT thing in an actually interesting way but you can't get it till you're like four bosses from the end of the game.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Rough Lobster posted:

There's a good spot to hit him on that little wooden platform by the stairs also, you can't be hit by his fire there. Shooting his head does double damage or so, but his head tends to move a lot and it's irritating. Not sure if waiting for his animation to reset is actually faster than shooting another part of his body for less damage. I wish I had a leg or something to wail on.

It would take me more than an hour to plink it to death.

Guess I'll just go to the mid game with a maddeningly close +4 sword and still have to 3 hit trash mobs.

Also, why do both phantoms disappear in the Vordt/Dancer area? Super Asia is down by the Vordt fight, and a Farron knight is on the stairs looking down at the patrolling knights. Why does the Farron knight vanish along with Master Anime Sword if you use one to beat Vordt? It's stupid. Use one phantom per boss, don't take them all away.

I wish I would have cheesed the dancer.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

skasion posted:

It continues to amaze me how late you get Soul Mass in this game. In every previous game (I think, can't remember exactly how you get it in DeS) you can get it well before you're halfway through the game. In this one you have to be like 75% done. It's just such a weird choice, it is a pretty fundamental spell and does the scaling with INT thing in an actually interesting way but you can't get it till you're like four bosses from the end of the game.

In Demon's Souls, you can get Homing Soul Arrow from the Old Monk's Soul, so as soon as you're able to finish 3-3.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Small and Blue posted:

Good to know this isn't just me. I installed some system updates earlier and thought something had hosed up one of my drivers.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Tallgeese posted:

Wow.

It took them... almost four years to do what I figured out how to do in a few months, and what eur0pa did with PVP Watchdog.

Can this be... progress?

I'm actually shocked.

There might come a day when we don't even need the Batman.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

lite_sleepr posted:

Raw rear end is p great FYI.

Yeah I'm not sure if it's gonna get me softbanned cuz this damage is illegal

SpazmasterX posted:

The ticket is to have base HP and only INT ahahahaha :getin:

McKilligan posted:

Fashion Sooooouuuulllls. Always had a soft spot for the Eastern Helm.

Smough leg improve all fashion

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

skasion posted:

What amazes me is how loving useless it is.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I've tried a high powered hex build with the Izaleth staff, feels incredibly weak. Sorceries also feel incredibly weak, unlike miracles.

But they all pale in comparison to a luck build with rear end (Anri's Straight Sword)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

HGH posted:

Watching a playthrough.
"By popular demand, I have changed my weapon to what everyone has been telling me to use."
*pulls out Raw Astora GREATsword +6 instead of an rear end*

The Raw AGS just doesn't have the same ring to it.

from RAGS to riches baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I knew something was up with vit/poise. Of course the first time Iook into it I'm already with 37 in vit and I just started ng+ :darksouls: (although to be fair I didn't even know you could respec, I like to do initial runs without instructions) . And they actually say it's working as intended? gently caress that.