Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Nauru refugee critical after caesarean to deliver premature baby son, flown to Brisbane

They made this poor woman have a cesarean section to deliver her 1-month premature baby on Nauru, even though they knew she has pre-eclampsia and had had seizures at 5 months. Now she's in Brisbane, in a critical condition, and they're not sure if the baby will survive.

Yay Australia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Mithranderp posted:

Nauru refugee critical after caesarean to deliver premature baby son, flown to Brisbane

They made this poor woman have a cesarean section to deliver her 1-month premature baby on Nauru, even though they knew she has pre-eclampsia and had had seizures at 5 months. Now she's in Brisbane, in a critical condition, and they're not sure if the baby will survive.

Yay Australia

Only giving her panadol for pain relief. gently caress Australia.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Only giving her panadol for pain relief. gently caress Australia.

Wait what? I didn't see that in the article :/

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Mithranderp posted:

Wait what? I didn't see that in the article :/

Saw it in the Nauru thread.

https://twitter.com/ResignInShame/status/730759903480938496?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

gently caress

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
lol Shorten's gonna win, what the gently caress?

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Mithranderp posted:

They made this poor woman have a cesarean section to deliver her 1-month premature baby on Nauru, even though they knew she has pre-eclampsia and had had seizures at 5 months.

Having seizures on a history of pre eclampsia is just eclampsia... Eclampsia is the condition you're trying to avoid when someone is diagnosed with pre eclampsia; it means the hypertension and vascular changes present in the placenta in pre eclampsia has caused a chain reaction that has resulted in cerebral oedema. The recognition of pre eclampsia and subsequent treatment to prevent the occurrence of eclampsia and other pre eclampsia complications is a major point of distinction between medical care provided first world and developing world hospitals and is profoundly rare in Australia, occurring less than once every 1,000 births. In Australia, only 6 women died of eclampsia between 2006 and 2010...

I cannot understate how preventable deaths from eclampsia are in a first world nation with a modern medical/hospital system.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
How is the debate I'm at work can someone link the recording when it's done

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The rusted on libs will defend it with some bullshit argument like "well she should not have planned to get pregnant before coming to Australia by boat". Then in a week the media will forget all about it and stop reporting on it- COMING UP NEXT ON HOUSE RULES!!!- - -

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Couldn't let another day go by without doing something despicable. I mean

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-12/png-authorities-say-manus-refugees-no-longer-in-detention/7407826

quote:

Manus Island: Asylum seekers and refugees no longer in detention, PNG authorities say By Papua New Guinea correspondent Eric Tlozek Updated Thu at 6:24pm

A Manus Island MP says he fears the release of asylum seekers and refugees from the detention centre may lead to violence. Papua New Guinea immigration authorities said the 898 men in Australia's offshore processing centre on Manus Island are no longer in detention, because they can now visit the main town. This is to comply with a Supreme Court ruling last month that found their detention was illegal. The detainees on Manus Island say they now have the option to catch one of three buses into the main town each morning, but must sign agreements taking responsibility for their own safety. They are not allowed to walk out of the centre, because it is on a PNG naval base. They also say they may stay at an Immigration-run transit centre overnight.

But Manus MP Ronnie Knight said residents feared they would have to deal with unwanted behaviour, particularly from detainees harassing local women.

"There's been incidences already where we've had these people chasing young girls," he said. The detainees say many of them are afraid to leave the centre, because they fear being attacked by locals. Deputy Chief Migration Officer Esther Gaegaming said "no asylum seeker or refugee is in detention". "We are continuing to work towards fully implementing the orders of the Supreme Court."

PNG's Supreme Court ruled on April 26 that detaining the men on Manus Island had breached their constitutional rights to personal liberty in Papua New Guinea.

'They are still controlling us' Refugee Behrouz Boochani said the changes had not allowed true freedom of movement. "They are still controlling us," he said. "Even when we want to go from Oscar to Delta [internal compounds] we should give our ID cards to the officers. "It means we are not free to walk." Mr Boochani said the refugees and asylum seekers were still being separated inside the centre and refugees could not visit the compounds where men who were unsuccessful in their refugee applications were housed. The men are only allowed to leave Manus Island if they sign an agreement to be resettled in PNG, and the ABC understands only eight men have done that. Of those, three have returned to Manus Island, saying they had been robbed and threatened when they were resettled in Lae, and did not earn enough money to support themselves. Two of those refugees were arrested upon returning to Manus Island, one for trying to get back into the transit centre for refugees and another for repeatedly asking for a phone and credit to call his family. Another refugee remains in hospital in Lae after being violently robbed twice in two days. Only three men are still working, while a fourth is about to start his new job.

After letting this sit with me for nearly a day I can't decide which is more appalling:

That this is the solution chosen to thwart the PNG high court's ruling or
That the high court of PNG is a more civilised establishment than any of ours.

Australians, the poster children for scum.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Cpt Soban posted:

The rusted on libs will defend it with some bullshit argument like "well she should not have planned to get pregnant before coming to Australia by boat". Then in a week the media will forget all about it and stop reporting on it- COMING UP NEXT ON HOUSE RULES!!!- - -

Oh sorry, wasn't talking about that, just musing about the debate.

I'm sure any liberal or Labor supporter who actually gave a poo poo about asylum seeker's lives have already switched their vote or are too deep too reach with this story.

Brayds2006
Aug 21, 2011

Anidav posted:

How is the debate I'm at work can someone link the recording when it's done

I second the linkage please.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Katherine Murphys liveblog wrapping up with an interesting point:

quote:

Not one question on asylum seekers. In western Sydney.

And the room votes:

quote:

A clear win for Shorten. Of the 100, 42 are more likely to vote for Bill Shorten, 29 for Malcolm Turnbull, 29 still undecided.

Hope that adds up to 100. That’s Sky’s account.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
They're doing like a live-replay here?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...2b2d0fbab2f9027

About 20 minutes in already though. Might be able to catch the start again when it ends?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

You know it's all over when Bill "Who?" Shorten can upstage you somehow.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I cannot believe how much Malcolm is loving this up.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

The thirst is real

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
Can't wait to see what stunts Turnbull pulls to still get in anyway.

Edit: And by stunts I probably mean finding out Bill Shorten raped Skippy.

Magog fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 13, 2016

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

rofl

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Sportsbet: Coalition $1.37, Labor $3.05 - pretty sure that's narrowed from a month ago

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Its been narrowing slowly for awhile now.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

freebooter posted:

Sportsbet: Coalition $1.37, Labor $3.05 - pretty sure that's narrowed from a month ago

Time to bet again. I won about $300 from the last QLD election :smug:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

SKY COQ posted:

The thirst is real

Shorten and chill?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Oh my god Shorten's zinger on the banks.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Serrath posted:

Having seizures on a history of pre eclampsia is just eclampsia... Eclampsia is the condition you're trying to avoid when someone is diagnosed with pre eclampsia; it means the hypertension and vascular changes present in the placenta in pre eclampsia has caused a chain reaction that has resulted in cerebral oedema. The recognition of pre eclampsia and subsequent treatment to prevent the occurrence of eclampsia and other pre eclampsia complications is a major point of distinction between medical care provided first world and developing world hospitals and is profoundly rare in Australia, occurring less than once every 1,000 births. In Australia, only 6 women died of eclampsia between 2006 and 2010...

I cannot understate how preventable deaths from eclampsia are in a first world nation with a modern medical/hospital system.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog:

Kittens:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

https://twitter.com/Realbillshorten

Look at this glorious Astroturfing!

A robot account that posts a insult to Bill Shorten every few minutes. An account literally made for tonights debate!

Dat LNP astroturfing budget.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Anidav posted:

https://twitter.com/Realbillshorten

Look at this glorious Astroturfing!

A robot account that posts a insult to Bill Shorten every few minutes. An account literally made for tonights debate!

Dat LNP astroturfing budget.

https://twitter.com/Realbillshorten/status/731130677429555200

Classy.

Brayds2006
Aug 21, 2011
I don't think that's an astroturf account, I think you've found Negligent's twitter.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Got a letter yesterday from my Fed MP (LNP) with the application to apply for a postal vote.

How legal is this poo poo? It gives off the impression of it being a legit AEC form but it has the Fed MP's name and LNP logo on it, with a letter from Malcum Turntbull

AgentF
May 11, 2009
It's technically legal but very dodgy. They harvest your details off the form. I wouldn't be surprised if they only pass selected forms on to the AEC.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Yeah I received one of those. Straight to the bin.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

She should wipe her arse on it for good measure.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Alternative: glitter bomb.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Man that twitter account just keeps going all night talking about Bill Shorten.

Maybe it is negligent!

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Aren't the forms legit but the reply paid envelope they supply is to the party and not he AEC? So if you send it to the AEC address listed on the form then they can't harvest your info. On the ones I got, the address on the reply paid envelop is different (and clearly getting sent to the LNP) while the address on the form is a reply paid address for the AEC. Or is the AEC address listed fake?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

get stephen j fry to read turnbulls lines and lets call it a day

Anidav posted:

Man that twitter account just keeps going all night talking about Bill Shorten.

Maybe it is negligent!

Almost certainly. The alternative is two people caring that much about bill shorten and that i just dont believe

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It's kinda sad that of all the things to waste money in an advertising budget that the LNP chooses astroturfing like this.

Somewhere someone in China in getting paid 15c per post to poo poo on Bill Shorten.

Jokes on the LNP, Negligent would do it for free.

Checkmate free market. :smug:

• Locked thread