Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

System Metternich posted:

I'd laugh too, but then I'm from Bavaria where town names like Petting and loving are perfectly normal. It takes about 35 minutes to go from one to the other, in case you wondered :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kopijeger posted:

But out of all those neighbouring states, Germany is the most populous.

Found some statistics on foreign tourists in Germany:

The interesting thing about this is that there are roughly three times as many overnight stays from Netherlanders than from Belgians even though the population is only about 50% greater. Also, seemingly more Italians than Frenchies visit, even though the former has a smaller population and does not share a border with Germany. The only possible reason for this that I can think would be that Francophones somehow have a stronger cultural aversion towards German-speakers than Dutch- or Italian-speakers.

What's the third/fourth country? The one with a country and a kingdom version?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

HookShot posted:

What's the third/fourth country? The one with a country and a kingdom version?

Third one is the US, fourth one is the UK (Vereinigte means "united").

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

computer parts posted:

Third one is the US, fourth one is the UK (Vereinigte means "united").

Ahhhhh thanks!

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

majormonotone posted:

it's always weird when I see someone reply to Tei earnestly

As an English speaker who's always trying to practice his own imperfect Spanish I feel a natural affinity with Tei :3: I just need to find my own dead gay Spanish language forum to shitpost in

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Kopijeger posted:

But out of all those neighbouring states, Germany is the most populous.

Found some statistics on foreign tourists in Germany:

The interesting thing about this is that there are roughly three times as many overnight stays from Netherlanders than from Belgians even though the population is only about 50% greater. Also, seemingly more Italians than Frenchies visit, even though the former has a smaller population and does not share a border with Germany. The only possible reason for this that I can think would be that Francophones somehow have a stronger cultural aversion towards German-speakers than Dutch- or Italian-speakers.

China. Couldn't they squeeze a couple sch's in there?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Squalid posted:

Is your international humanism anymore rational than the nationalism of your associates? Ultimately all identities are arbitrarily defined and necessarily exclusive, but that doesn't make them bad or evil. The impulsive trust and brotherhood felt on meeting a member of the same in-group is not negated by the realization that the connection is based on the tenuous premis that your common blood, religion, language, or education means you have some inherent bond stronger than those defined by other relationships. The important thing is to create identities that can include all members of a community.

Map of identity in Northern Ireland. I met an Irish nationalist once who believed Irish anschluss was good and would come inevitably. I wonder why he wants to bring a bunch of filthy Protestant's into lovely Catholic nation?

Ceding the Catholic-majority areas to Ireland was seriously considered by the Thatcher government in the eighties.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

Ceding the Catholic-majority areas to Ireland was seriously considered by the Thatcher government in the eighties.
As was watering down their populations with masses of displaced Hong Kong emigrants prior to the ceding of the colony back to China.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Frostwerks posted:

Are there any extraterrestrial mountains/volcanoes that would be technically challenging to climb? An Annapurna or K2 that's 10 miles high or something?

The 11 km high Maxwell Montes on Venus would be a challenging climb. It's tall, steep, and Venus has similar gravity to Earth.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

For the most part, people learn foreign languages for economic and cultural reasons, while demographic weight or even geographic proximity (by themselves) are not that important. French is the second-most spoken language in Belgium, Flanders itself used to be basically a francophone colony; English is the lingua franca in the business world while also having enormous pop-cultural importance. Many white-collar jobs require at least basic knowledge of these two languages, or the willingness to learn. With German, that's just not the case. The only time it will be a requirement is when the job description specifically involves communication with German-speaking organisations or individuals.

That is completely true. But there is also this:

Kopijeger posted:

I guess there are massive mental/cultural barriers in the way.

In Flanders, many secondary schools offer a choice between German and Spanish to learn as a third foreign language after French and English (both of which are mandatory), and Spanish is more popular. German still carries the stigma of two World Wars, whereas people rationalize choosing Spanish for the fact that it's more widely spoken, while in fact it's purely chosen for sentimental reasons (associating Spain with nice holidays and chilling out). For full disclosure, I studied German at university and it really annoyed me how quickly the WW2 and Hitler jokes came up when I told this to strangers, even though Belgium has no outspoken history of anti-German sentiment. Also, for speakers of Dutch, German is much easier to learn than Spanish.

The Belgian posted:

It isn't a foreign language though

True, but that's kind of a technicality. German is an official language of Belgium, but its scant number of native speakers are all huddled in a sparsely populated area in the east without any major economic importance. Even Belgians who enjoy being in German-speaking areas usually prefer vacationing in Austria, Switzerland or the Black Forest (and, for educated urban youths, Berlin), rather than the Eastern Cantons.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Political because German.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

TheWeepingHorse posted:

I love it. Meanwhile, in Pennsylvania, it's about 17 minutes from Blue Ball to Intercourse.

You can also go from Bareville through Intercourse to Paradise.

Edit: Takes about 22 minutes total.

Patrick Spens fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 13, 2016

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

http://i.imgur.com/pSVYBLf.webm

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Something something oil drilling kills Brazil?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

TinTower posted:

That would be a decent solution if not for the fact that many towns, including and especially Belfast, have always been or have become mixed.

It's something they really should have decided on in 1922 or whenever it was. Just give the western half of Ulster to Ireland. You're left with a rump area, but it would have had an overwhelming Protestant majority. It's amazing that they didn't consider the possibility that it would become increasingly difficult to oppress such a large minority of Catholics.

The Anime Turnpike
Dec 30, 2010

Truth does not fear investigation.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Zudgemud posted:

Something something oil drilling kills Brazil?

From telenovela's opening:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=948iEiclI8A

Deus nos acuda = God help us

Negostrike fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 13, 2016

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Looks like Brazil going down the drain.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Phlegmish posted:

That would be a decent solution if not for the fact that many towns, including and especially Belfast, have always been or have become mixed.

It's something they really should have decided on in 1922 or whenever it was. Just give the western half of Ulster to Ireland. You're left with a rump area, but it would have had an overwhelming Protestant majority. It's amazing that they didn't consider the possibility that it would become increasingly difficult to oppress such a large minority of Catholics.

They did consider that but the fear was that a Northern Ireland reduced down to the Protestant majority rump would become completely unviable from an economic point of view. It was hard enough to convince some quarters of the Unionists that they couldn't take the whole of Ulster (with Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan). The idea was that what became Northern Ireland was the maximum area of land that protestants could expect to have a comfortable majority in 1922, unfortunately for them they did not take into account demographic changes in the intervening period, as now it seems that the Catholic population will overtake the Protestant one soon enough.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

The Whole Internet posted:

The 11 km high Maxwell Montes on Venus would be a challenging climb. It's tall, steep, and Venus has similar gravity to Earth.
I feel like the crushing, toxic, corrosive atmosphere would be a bigger issue.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I feel like the crushing, toxic, corrosive atmosphere would be a bigger issue.

Also the 462 °C mean surface temperature :v:

Venus is both the worst and best named planet ever

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fitzwilliam Lacho posted:

Wouldn't you be able to see Tierra del Fuego from the US with a telescope if that model was true?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ofaloaf posted:

Wouldn't you be able to see Tierra del Fuego from the US with a telescope if that model was true?

I don't think you should apply that much logic to that map.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Don't be a fool. The Bible doesn't mention telescopes.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Count Roland posted:

My wild guess on Iran is its political relationship with Lebanon (mostly via Hezbollah), and Lebanon of course has a lot of French.

But somehow I doubt its this. I've heard of enough random French people and companies and things in Iran over the years to make me think Iranians are somehow a fan of France. They've got wine in common (kinda).

In the 19th century the main powers surrounding Persia were the British, the Ottomans and the Russians. The language of diplomacy at the time was French; if the British communicated with the Russians they did it in French, if the Ottomans spoke to the Persians they did it in French, and so on. Since Persia managed to retain its independence (for the most part) they played a delicate game of trying to please everyone without upsetting anyone else, which meant a lot of diplomacy which was of course all in French. Thus, French became the language of the Persian aristocracy and upper classes. Persia founded its first university in the mid-19th century and since all the educated people spoke French already they just borrowed the new words they learnt and inserted them straight into Farsi. Many words in French are very similar in English, and remain similar in Farsi - décembre/December/desāmbr for example, but many are completely copied from French. 'Reinforced concrete' is béton armé in French and bétonārmé in Farsi, and they refer to Germany as ālmān, far more similar to the French Allemagne than the English.

I'm sceptical that there's more French being learnt in Iran than English nowadays, but they've got history for it at least.

It's amazing to think that the 19th century was really just a load of highly educated foreigners speaking French to each other, although I suppose that's what the UN is like these days (in English).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

khwarezm posted:

They did consider that but the fear was that a Northern Ireland reduced down to the Protestant majority rump would become completely unviable from an economic point of view. It was hard enough to convince some quarters of the Unionists that they couldn't take the whole of Ulster (with Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan). The idea was that what became Northern Ireland was the maximum area of land that protestants could expect to have a comfortable majority in 1922, unfortunately for them they did not take into account demographic changes in the intervening period, as now it seems that the Catholic population will overtake the Protestant one soon enough.

If Northern Ireland gets a permanent Catholic majority I will laugh forever.

Not so Ascendant now, are you?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

It is also imaginable that religion will slowly evaporate altogether as it did in Germany, which had a brutal civil war over it (well technically it wasn't a civil war but most people involved spoke some form of German) and informed the delicate tiptoeing and balancing around of religious sensitivities when Germany itself was founded in 1871. These days it doesn't matter much. Same with the short-lived United Kingdom of the Netherlands, where differences between the Dutch and Belgians were partly informed by the Catholic-Protestant split. Nowadays the largest objection to a reunification of both countries - in Flanders, at least, though I doubt religion would play any significant role for the Walloons - is the difference in mentality. Also, the loss of Catholicism as a cornerstone of Belgian identity coincided with the rise of regionalism. Being Catholic was able to sandpaper over some differences between Flemings and Walloons, but now that band-aid is gone.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I especially like those bible quotes "proving" the map.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I hate it when I drop a fork and it slides all the way down to the equator.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What's on the big flat square bits after you cross the south polegreat ice wall?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I suspect Prof. Orlando Ferguson just really liked roulette.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Guavanaut posted:

What's on the big flat square bits after you cross the south polegreat ice wall?

Those lands are angelblighted, nothing can survive the Power of His Glory

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

duckmaster posted:

In the 19th century the main powers surrounding Persia were the British, the Ottomans and the Russians. The language of diplomacy at the time was French; if the British communicated with the Russians they did it in French, if the Ottomans spoke to the Persians they did it in French, and so on. Since Persia managed to retain its independence (for the most part) they played a delicate game of trying to please everyone without upsetting anyone else, which meant a lot of diplomacy which was of course all in French. Thus, French became the language of the Persian aristocracy and upper classes. Persia founded its first university in the mid-19th century and since all the educated people spoke French already they just borrowed the new words they learnt and inserted them straight into Farsi. Many words in French are very similar in English, and remain similar in Farsi - décembre/December/desāmbr for example, but many are completely copied from French. 'Reinforced concrete' is béton armé in French and bétonārmé in Farsi, and they refer to Germany as ālmān, far more similar to the French Allemagne than the English.

I'm sceptical that there's more French being learnt in Iran than English nowadays, but they've got history for it at least.

It's amazing to think that the 19th century was really just a load of highly educated foreigners speaking French to each other, although I suppose that's what the UN is like these days (in English).

Very interesting. I know a bit about Iran/Persia, but I didn't know this. Thanks.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

duckmaster posted:

Pretty sure the Persians and Ottomans spoke Turkish and Persian to eachother because they both knew how to speak it, but maybe that's just a Safavid thing.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Their diplomacy was conducted in farsi most of the time but im not sure if there was a change to french around the 19th century, alot of countries who modernized adopted french and sent people to be educated there, this is true for egypt too even after the fact it was more or less a british aligned protectorate after napoleon got booted out.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I'm laughing at the mental image of a bunch of hapless explorers who want to be a new Columbus and discover new continents, approaching the end of the world only to find a 10,000 mile tall angel and being all like :yikes:

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Those lands are angelblighted, nothing can survive the Power of His Glory

Except for the NASA/CIA army troops that guard the ice wall.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

System Metternich posted:

I'm laughing at the mental image of a bunch of hapless explorers who want to be a new Columbus and discover new continents, approaching the end of the world only to find a 10,000 mile tall angel and being all like :yikes:

When you consider those angels look like burning wheels within wheels and stuff, it's a good foundation for a Lovecraftian RPG.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's odd that I had never heard of noted late 19th-century scientist Orlando Ferguson before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

It's odd that I had never heard of noted late 19th-century scientist Orlando Ferguson before.

It's not his problem that you happen to be retarded. The FerOr club is alive and doing well.