Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

After the former VP of engineering at uBeam came out publicly stating that their product is almost completely useless, I looked at the resume of their current VP of engineering, Sean Taffler. Turns out his previous role was VP of Systems Engineering at HashFast Technologies, a Bitcoin hardware company that was shut down for fraud, for running a scheme similar to Butterfly Labs.

quote:

http://bravenewcoin.com/news/bitcoin-miner-manufacturer-found-guilty-of-fraud/:

A US District Court recently ruled that Simon Barber, and his company HashFast Technologies, was found guilty of violating the Unfair Competition Law (UCL) as well as committing fraud, in a court case initiated by Plaintiff Pete Morici, a Bitcoin miner.

The court supported the fraud claim based on the Unfair Competition Law (UCL), which prohibits unlawful, unfair, or fraudulent business practices. The ruling was based on “statements Barber made regarding the Baby Jet shipping date” and “the availability of refunds in Bitcoin.”

Bitcoin mining hardware companies have often taken money in full for pre-orders, in return for a product on a specified date. During any delays in delivery, the bitcoin hash rate tends to rise, making mining less profitable every day. Eventually the hardware becomes unprofitable to run.

HashFast had some unclear issues with the Dec. 2013 bitcoin price spike, and they were apparently unable to pay their customer refunds in Bitcoin, offering customer refunds in US dollars. Morici successfully proved in court that this aspect of the HashFast business is unlawful.

Morici had ordered two 'Baby Jet' Bitcoin mining rigs in August 2013, after learning about their soon-to-be-launched hardware, on the popular Bitcointalk forum. Based on information from HashFast's website, the product was “in stock,” with shipments starting “October 20-30.”

Morici paid for his order in Bitcoin, the order in USD was worth $11,507.38. He was assured by multiple people from HashFast that delivery would be on time. After failing to deliver, HashFast then changed its delivery date to mid-November. He then received another delay notification on November 7, 2013, stating that delivery would be delayed till mid-December. To this day, no customers have reported receiving their product from HashFast.

At that point, during the greatest price climb in bitcoins history, Morici canceled his order and requested a refund of the bitcoin he paid. At the time of purchase, HashFast initially had a “reasonable” refund policy, and stated that refunds would be in bitcoin. However, after failing to deliver the products repeatedly, they introduced terms and conditions that made it much harder for any customers to obtain refunds. They also changed the policy for refunding in USD.

During that time, bitcoin's price had increased dramatically, rising from about $100 in August 2013 to $283 on November 7 and rapidly rising to over $1000 by the end of November. A refund in dollars would mean HashFast would profit from the rise in bitcoins price, and Morci lost out on substantial capital returns.

I guess if you need an engineer who is an expert at promising customers a fake product that never ships, he would be a good fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

poo poo just got to the end of that article about the guy who died in an AirBnB and realized I went to school with the author (and was friends-of-friends with him). :smith:

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

The building itself doesn't become unsafe necessarily, but the unit itself can become unsafe. Does the unit have its own water heater, or furnace? Does it have a CO monitor? Is it getting checked for bed bugs that could then infest the whole building? Frequent guests are going to increase your chance of bed bugs because they could be bringing them from their own home. Is the unit being kept clean, or are guests leaving it messy and the owner isn't cleaning it thoroughly, which can attract vermin? These are all important things that need to be taken care of when running a hotel out of an apartment.
I'm pretty sure that all of these are regs that Airbnb doesn't actually object to. What you see instead a lot is cities trying to ban Airbnb entirely or put incredibly onerous restrictions on them.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Gail Wynand posted:

I'm pretty sure that all of these are regs that Airbnb doesn't actually object to. What you see instead a lot is cities trying to ban Airbnb entirely or put incredibly onerous restrictions on them.

AirBnB doesn't object to the regulations, they object to having to ensure their illegal hoteliers comply with them.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Gail Wynand posted:

They don't object because they throw up their hands and say "Lol not our problem! We have a contract indemnifying us from liability for deathtrap hotel." Which is why there's a push to ban them. If these 'disruptive' companies actually spent any money or put real effort into ensuring they complied with laws there wouldn't be such a pushback.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Coolness Averted posted:

They don't object because they throw up their hands and say "Lol not our problem! We have a contract indemnifying us from liability for deathtrap hotel." Which is why there's a push to ban them. If these 'disruptive' companies actually spent any money or put real effort into ensuring they complied with laws there wouldn't be such a pushback.

Nor would there be any profits.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Boot and Rally posted:

Nor would there be any profits.

So what you're saying here is that their business model isn't viable?

Sounds like a personal problem

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Gail Wynand posted:

This sounds like complete bullshit, prove it.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/731108749830696961

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
The worst thing Steve Jobs ever did was perpetuating the idea that black turtlenecks confer some kind of aura of genius.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There's a lot of cargo-cult CEOing going on -- see whoever it was (Andreesen?) saying that he preferred to give VC to founders who reminded him of Mark Zuckerberg.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Huge_Midget posted:

The worst thing Steve Jobs ever did was perpetuating the idea that black turtlenecks confer some kind of aura of genius.

You'd also think someone would have told Elizabeth Holmes to tone down the crazy eyes.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

MC Nietzche posted:

You'd also think someone would have told Elizabeth Holmes to tone down the crazy eyes.

maybe that IS toned down

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why are her pupils in parentheses.

I have a weird feeling that a bright blue laser beam is going to shoot out of her eyes in about 4 seconds.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Nah, everyone knows that the crazier the better. I mean, not crazier, the proper word is DISRUPTIVE EXCEPTIONAL INDIVIDUAL and you have to be able to produce all these bullshit success quotes straight out of some lovely self-help book. That's what CEOing is basically. Just some neverending TED talk.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

go3 posted:

maybe that IS toned down

A terrifying and sobering thought.

Pochoclo posted:

Nah, everyone knows that the crazier the better. I mean, not crazier, the proper word is DISRUPTIVE EXCEPTIONAL INDIVIDUAL and you have to be able to produce all these bullshit success quotes straight out of some lovely self-help book. That's what CEOing is basically. Just some neverending TED talk.

Man millennials managed to ruin the fine art of CEOing too. How bad are we?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

MC Nietzche posted:

Man millennials managed to ruin the fine art of CEOing too. How bad are we?

Yeah, before all this bullshit, being a CEO just meant inhaling obscene amounts of cocaine and doing whores with other CEOs while closing down juicy deals that meant more money for you at the expense of the wellbeing of the general populace. Nowadays, the end result is exactly the same or worse, but they get to be cult of personality figures, annoying on public. At least in the old days they did their dirty business behind closed doors.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I kind of feel like a poo poo load of people are looking at people like Bill Gates, Gabe Newell, Steve Jobs, or Mark Zuckerberg and asking "how can I become that bug gently caress wealthy in the tech world?" They focus on the "I have this idea..." part of it rather than getting in early side or the fact that, generally speaking, these things ended up getting huge portions of massive markets. The idea wasn't what made the money. The business is what made the money. Yeah 30 years ago something like Windows or Facebook or an iPhone would have sounded insane.

Sooooooo now we have venture capitalists vomiting piles of cash at whoever has some insane, disruptive idea that will totally take over a new market.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Making fun of the way a woman looks is really elevating the level of discourse ITT

Jobs-esque turtleneck is definitely fair game, but otherwise drat

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel there is a significant difference between making fun of someone's appearance because they're a pillock and making fun of their appearance because of their gender.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Yeah no ones saying anything gendered about her appearance. It would all easily apply to a male CEO.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

See also :smugdon:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Sure, mock her for obviously trying to dress like Steve "Giant Arrogant rear end in a top hat" Jobs, but I never see guys getting accused of having crazy eyes, for example.

Fishmech posted this Tumblr employee in YOSPOS yesterday:

That guy made himself look like a clown's idea of ridiculous tool, but I'm not going to make fun of the face he was born with.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Crazy eyes isn't a thing you're born with, it's an expression you make, same with trump's weird funnel mouth, you can elect not to hold your eyes open in an expression of either abject terror or terrifying fascination.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Crazy eyes isn't a thing you're born with, it's an expression you make, same with trump's weird funnel mouth, you can elect not to hold your eyes open in an expression of either abject terror or terrifying fascination.

That's why Jim Jones opted to wear sunglasses.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Yeah, sure. I think I've stumbled on to the gender version of the work-inappropriate hair GIS https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=crazy+eyes

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Munkeymon posted:

Making fun of the way a woman looks is really elevating the level of discourse ITT

Jobs-esque turtleneck is definitely fair game, but otherwise drat

I think that drawing the line arbitrarily at clothes and not facial expressions is a personal choice. However, I am willing to concede that in my experience crazy eyes is most often leveled at women. That being said, opening her eyes like that is definitely a choice she makes as there are pictures where it is more and less pronounced. Even if news agencies that publish pics choose ones where its less pronounced, the image we're talking about comes from their own PR which definitely makes it a choice by Holmes and Theranos, and that makes it hilarious.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Going by the GIS apparently it's more racist than sexist.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

For me it's the 20/20 hindsight along with the bullshit TED-esque technobabble and the cargo-cult Steve Jobs uniform that leaps out at me. The Marshall Applewhite piercing gaze is just the icing on the cake.

Munkeymon posted:

That guy made himself look like a clown's idea of ridiculous tool, but I'm not going to make fun of the face he was born with.

He sure is disrupting the idea that going to the bathroom shouldn't be a chore or a hilarious disaster.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
sure elizabeth holmes dresses like she's trying to build a cult of personality and has the crazy eyes but if you're jonesing to be outraged at someone based on criticism about her being a woman then just listen to her voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGfaJZAdfNE&t=99s

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Munkeymon posted:

Sure, mock her for obviously trying to dress like Steve "Giant Arrogant rear end in a top hat" Jobs, but I never see guys getting accused of having crazy eyes, for example.

That man has to be colorblind. Also completely ignorant of the concept of what ties, sashes, and belts are.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Going by the GIS apparently it's more racist than sexist.

That's a character nick-named 'crazy eyes' from a TV show.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

sure elizabeth holmes dresses like she's trying to build a cult of personality and has the crazy eyes but if you're jonesing to be outraged at someone based on criticism about her being a woman then just listen to her voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGfaJZAdfNE&t=99s

Can't blame people for their voice but jesus christ that's a whole lot of stupid bullshit she's spouting. If I said like a hundredth of that poo poo in a job interview I'd get a boot up my rear end, why do rich people think it's a good idea to give lots of money to people like this?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So what's going to happen in the long run? Are we in for another huge recession when people get tired of throwing fistfuls of money at wacky monkeycheese ideas?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Panfilo posted:

So what's going to happen in the long run? Are we in for another huge recession when people get tired of throwing fistfuls of money at wacky monkeycheese ideas?

I don't know how bad or wide-ranging a recession it would be but you can't look at the patently stupid ideas that have been getting absurd funding over the last few years and not speculate that we may be in some sort of tech bubble right now.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Panfilo posted:

This tech bubble is extremely localized to places like SV and mostly centered around start-ups and unicorns who are trying to go as long as possible without an IPO rather then the first tech bubble of "everyone IPO, everyone day trades, it all comes crashing down " or the subprime bubble of "housing prices can only go up Up UP, issue as many subprime loans and collateralize debt obligations as possible, whoops it turns out housing prices can crash." At most you'll see a localized recession in those areas and maybe a few weeks of more volatility in the stock market. It won't be something that threatens the big banks like the 2008 crisis.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Panfilo posted:

I don't know the numbers, but I'd be shocked if startups were a big enough portion of the economy to strongly affect the entire economy.

I'm going to make the same argument below that posters in Debate & Discussion commonly make in defense of scientific research into old, tired, very unlikely to ever economically matter physics research: if venture capital/esoteric physics research is so small when compared to the rest of the economy, why obsess over how it isn't the most economically efficient activity? It's like playing the lottery but with much more uncertain odds--maybe you can hit the jackpot and win big!

Venture capital isn't even taxpayer money, so it doesn't necessarily have to be your money that they are gambling with. Obviously there is a lot of stupid stuff and dumb ideas in startups to make fun of, but I think a lot of the hostility in the thread towards them is just culture warfare.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 13, 2016

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

silence_kit posted:

Obviously there is a lot of stupid stuff and dumb ideas in startups to make fun of, but I think a lot of the hostility in the thread towards them is just culture warfare.
Much like stepping in to stop a central African genocide, it is sometimes just to wage warfare on entire cultures, if they are sick and hurting people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

silence_kit posted:

I don't know the numbers, but I'd be shocked if startups were a big enough portion of the economy to strongly affect the entire economy.

I'm going to make the same argument below that posters in Debate & Discussion commonly make in defense of scientific research into old, tired, very unlikely to ever economically matter physics research: if venture capital/esoteric physics research is so small when compared to the rest of the economy, why obsess over how it isn't the most economically efficient activity? It's like playing the lottery but with much more uncertain odds--maybe you can hit the jackpot and win big!

Venture capital isn't even taxpayer money, so it doesn't necessarily have to be your money that they are gambling with. Obviously there is a lot of stupid stuff and dumb ideas in startups to make fun of, but I think a lot of the hostility in the thread towards them is just culture warfare.

Considering that a lot of the money they are throwing around came from QE, in a way it is taxpayer's money