Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

11.22.63 is such an entertaining show. James Franco has to go back in time to save Kennedy from being assassinated. Franco has a lot of charisma and the period piece aspect of it is really interesting. This show is loving nuts.

The only problem is that there are a couple episodes' worth of material in the middle which really could and should have just been cut out because it didn't matter.

Definitely a really solid first and last episode though and the guy playing Lee Harvey is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

precision posted:

The only problem is that there are a couple episodes' worth of material in the middle which really could and should have just been cut out because it didn't matter.

Definitely a really solid first and last episode though and the guy playing Lee Harvey is fantastic.

I agree. The first two episodes and the finale are really good but middle drags at times. Of course I watched it week-by-week when it first aired, the pacing's probably not as bad if you're bingeing it now that it's all out.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Has anyone really watched The Path on Hulu and is it worth it? I watched the first ep a few weeks ago and thought it was ok but really I just kind of forgot about it.

edit
I really liked Hannibal so Hugh Dancy is my guy.

Hackers film 1995 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 11, 2016

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Has anyone really watched The Path on Hulu and is it worth it? I watched the first ep a few weeks ago and thought it was ok but really I just kind of forgot about it.

Yes, The Path is definitely worth following. The first ep or two after the premiere are a bit slow but it's really been picking up lately.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

McSpanky posted:

Yes, The Path is definitely worth following. The first ep or two after the premiere are a bit slow but it's really been picking up lately.

This is what all the early reviews about the show said; slow start but then it starts to get very good.

I'll probably wait until the whole thing is up before I watch it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

11.22.63 is such an entertaining show. James Franco has to go back in time to save Kennedy from being assassinated. Franco has a lot of charisma and the period piece aspect of it is really interesting. This show is loving nuts.

Yeah, it's excellent and James Franco is always right where the show needs him to be. It manages to stick the landing better than a lot of weird-premise series as well.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

edit
I really liked Hannibal so Hugh Dancy is my guy.

I am a big fan of The Path and I wish I could binge it all now. I'm kind of surprised it doesn't have its own thread in tviv.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

All these mentions of The Path have me nodding along all hell yea that show was great.

Except I'm thinking of The Fall, which is currently on Netflix :canada:, and is an awesome two season British psychological thriller starring an ageless Gillian Anderson.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Wheeee posted:

All these mentions of The Path have me nodding along all hell yea that show was great.

Except I'm thinking of The Fall, which is currently on Netflix :canada:, and is an awesome two season British psychological thriller starring an ageless Gillian Anderson.

A Gillian Anderson who plays a sexual predator not too different from the one she hunts. :stonklol:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Chichevache posted:

A Gillian Anderson who plays a sexual predator not too different from the one she hunts. :stonklol:

Hell yea, I love me an aggressively dominant woman, even if she is a bit of a sociopath.

Also, when her one-night fucktoy cop got murdered right off the beginning I knew this show was going to be different than the usual American fare.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Wheeee posted:

an ageless Gillian Anderson.

My wife and I watched season one of The Fall and all of Blue Collar and I think both Gillian Anderson and Tiffany Thiessen sold their souls or something. Both look better now than in the 90s.

I've been thinking about starting The Path but is it just about the struggle with the cult or does the cult aspect just lead to the poo poo hitting the fan at some point? The IMDB description just sound like the whole series is a man's daily struggle between "cults are good" and "cults are bad".

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

I've been thinking about starting The Path but is it just about the struggle with the cult or does the cult aspect just lead to the poo poo hitting the fan at some point? The IMDB description just sound like the whole series is a man's daily struggle between "cults are good" and "cults are bad".

I think that's kinda why I like it. The cult itself isn't portrayed as bad, and most of the people seem to genuinely believe in it and are wanting to do good. They do some very bad things, but it's perpetuated by certain high-ranking individuals, and that's where the drama itself comes from. It's a bit difficult to explain it.

Plus Aaron Paul is fantastic as someone struggling with his faith in the cult.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Path is pretty good but I was going into it expecting some really wacko supernatural elements.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I just finished episode 5, and it is pretty good so far. I do find the 'sidekick' and Sadie's actress fake Texas accent somewhat annoying, but Franco is pretty good in it. Of course as with a lot of time travel stuff, don't think about it too hard or your head will explode.

As someone who read the book several years ago, while it was a bit jarring at first, the addition of the sidekick ( he was in the book, but older and was a minor character that wasn't part of the story once Jake goes to Texas) was smart given the mini-series format. My biggest complaint is the best part of the book was... Jake's time in Jodie. It was like a book within the book that dealt little with the JFK stuff. The characters of Sadie (their romance was well written), Deke, and Ellie were fleshed out, and you saw all the good Jake did at the school. That said the mini-series has mostly ignored this, and instead just focused on the plot points from it. I would expected this from a movie, but given that it is a mini-series I had hope that they would focus on it more. I know it looks to be a minor complaint, but I preferred the 'man out of time making a difference in small community' story over the JFK stuff . .

precision posted:

See my above quote. They had the material (the best stuff), but they glossed over it.

McSpanky posted:

OK I might give it another chance. I love the actors in it, but the first episode was too 'network TV' like. Just not good.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 12, 2016

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Guess what's on netflix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtW1Lq5c04E

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Only a German comedy could invoke such a strong feeling of dread. :allears:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

I really hated that book, and the movie looks just as bad.

Ninja edit: also, it's been up for months now

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jupiter Ascending is on HBO Go and it's the stupidest loving thing. It's pacing is super weird, like half an hour got cut from the first 20 minutes, but it's still two hours long.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Jack Gladney posted:

Jupiter Ascending is on HBO Go and it's the stupidest loving thing. It's pacing is super weird, like half an hour got cut from the first 20 minutes, but it's still two hours long.

Also Eddie Redmayne's character is hilariously dumb. The movie is goddamn terrible in every way. It felt like a young adult novel movie about a book that no one has read.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's weird enough that I bet it gets some kind of following on video. It's a dumb action movie but it's so much weirder than that at the same time. Why did they choose Mila Kunis of all people to be the Luke Skywalker? Why is Channing Tatum a dog man and an angel? Why anything?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Awesome, can't wait to see this

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jack Gladney posted:

It's weird enough that I bet it gets some kind of following on video. It's a dumb action movie but it's so much weirder than that at the same time. Why did they choose Mila Kunis of all people to be the Luke Skywalker? Why is Channing Tatum a dog man and an angel? Why anything?

The movie can't be half as good as you just made it sound.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
watch Eisenstein in Guanajuato

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mila Kunis has the power to command bees because bees know to obey royalty, according to Sean Bean who lives to the end of the movie. Imagine Star Wars but the first act is ten minutes long and then there are long stretches of space politics between gay stereotypes. It's kind of like if Dune hit its head at the bottom of the pool and got a little brain damage before somebody jumped in and gave it cpr.

It's not a good movie but it will leave you wondering what the hell you just sat through. Terry Gilliam is in it for one scene for no reason. It's two hours long.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

Blisster posted:

Not on Netflix but I watched Haywire totally blind and was caught off guard by how many awesome people are on the cast. The action/spy montage sequences were great but overall it was a pretty predicable and dull plot. I like Gina Carrano as an action star though, I dont' think she gets enough credit.

I know this post is a month old but I'm incredibly far behind in this thread so whatever. I think Haywire has the most believable female protagonist fight scenes in any movie I've ever seen; they're brutal and violent but Carano beats up dudes in a way that an actual woman realistically would, rather than flying around with Joss Whedon anime powers or throwing people through walls or whatever. I know she's not some great actress but I think she's perfect for the role, and I love Haywire just for how believable she is as a badass (and also for the standard Soderbergh cleverness).

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

anime tupac posted:

I love Haywire just for how believable she is as a badass

I'm pretty sure she's believable as a badass because she actually is a badass.

Haywire rules.

Rosh
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's Wrong,
Something's Right

Chichevache posted:

The movie can't be half as good as you just made it sound.

It has Channing Tatum as an albino, half-wolf "splice" named Caine who essentially roller-blades through the sky and saves the day multiple times. At one point when asked about his flying boots he delivers the line "They harness the force of gravity, redirecting it into differential equation slips so you can surf."

I don't know how it could be any more amazing.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
The problem is that even with all of those weird/cool things it's somehow still boring as gently caress.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The only thing I didn't really like about Jupiter Ascending was the extended fight sequence before they headed off to Sean Bean.

If you like scifi it's something you should at least watch once though. Doubly so if you're bitching about how there's never any new IPs.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Cloud Atlas was more than enough Wachowski scifi to keep me from getting curious again for the rest of my life.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Cloud Atlas is excellent.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That is not a statement I agree with

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The best parts of Cloud Atlas are not the scifi parts (though they're not the worst parts either).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Cloud Atlas is extremely ambitious, to the point where it was inevitably going to have at least a few flaws. To me they are minor though, it is an unappreciated near-masterpiece.

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:
I tried on 2 separate occasions to watch Cloud Atlas, and was really on board with it both times up until the Tom Hanks caveman scene. I just couldn't bring myself to finish it either time. That scene is just unfathomably lovely and embarrassing.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Now that I think about it, the only things I remember from Cloud Atlas are Tom Hanks and Baron Samedi Hugo Weaving.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I found the souls connecting and reconnecting through time to be extremely powerful. Frobisher and Sixsmith especially. Sixsmith is such a tragic character.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just couldn't get over the dialogue. The writing in that movie is horrid. I don't think it was an awful movie and sort of enjoyed it in a slow motion train wreck sort of way but I would really never even come close to calling it good.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

dreadnought posted:

I tried on 2 separate occasions to watch Cloud Atlas, and was really on board with it both times up until the Tom Hanks caveman scene. I just couldn't bring myself to finish it either time. That scene is just unfathomably lovely and embarrassing.

That's literally the first scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The weird future speak in the Tom Hanks sections is definitely the most common complaint about the movie. Most people hate those scenes.