Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

I hope they still use the 'noclip' cheat and maybe they hid an easter egg where you get to kill John Romero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mordja posted:

Yessssss...An overwrought thinkpiece has hit the first tower.
https://twitter.com/IBTGamesUK/status/731081336170123265
:yum:

The real question is how does shooting a demon hell spawn in the face relate to femenism?

E. I kind of hope their is going to be some sort of Easter egg that let's you Samus Aran your helmet off and makes the game go from "brutal macho killfest" to "inspiring and inspirational"

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The real question is how does shooting a demon hell spawn in the face relate to femenism?

E. I kind of hope their is going to be some sort of Easter egg that let's you Samus Aran your helmet off and makes the game go from "brutal macho killfest" to "inspiring and inspirational"

lol

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Segmentation Fault posted:

It's Nvidia's new graphics API. You can enable it right now with a command line argument. Gonna try it when I get home.

Google's not helping me...what's the command line argument and where do I put it?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Gropiemon posted:

It didn't feel like classic doom to me at all. It feels like Halo with cheesy gore. No run key, have to upgrade armor and guns, got a lot of buyers remorse on this one.

Getting lost on maps is one of the things that feels like the old games. No reloading is odd. Always sprinting and unlimited stamina makes me feel more hellish than the demons.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

DreamShipWrecked posted:

the demons are representative of men and the rape culture every man embraces without question

all men

forever

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
Anybody with a 760 that can tell me how well the game runs on your rig? I never trust benchmarks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gropiemon posted:

It didn't feel like classic doom to me at all. It feels like Halo with cheesy gore. No run key, have to upgrade armor and guns, got a lot of buyers remorse on this one.

If you played doom properly it didn't have a run key either :colbert: it had a walk key if you turn on always-run and that's exactly what this game has.

LOL @ have to upgrade guns, these loving gun upgrades! So annoying! If only every gun was simpler!

Blatant trolling.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am actually not a fan of the single player but I am really enjoying the multiplayer and Snapmap.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!

ShinAli posted:

I've always manually detonated rockets just right behind them, it usually gets them to stagger.

Stun-rounds from the plasma rifle and then send them away with whatever care package you feel like works too, unless they are separated from their friends cause then i just jump over them and shoot them in the back. Shieldguys aren't that bad, they just require one to think beyond "just shoot stuff in the face"

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

to be fair slamming this game for not having impse is a valid argument

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

Getting lost on maps is one of the things that feels like the old games. No reloading is odd. Always sprinting and unlimited stamina makes me feel more hellish than the demons.

I guess? I am just comparing the mechanics to the old doom 1-2. This just feels like another generic shooter. While the glory kills are fine I guess they are completely required at higher difficulty because of the health drops. I just want to zip around at breakneck speed, shoot demons and pickup what they drop. That is not this game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bardeh posted:

How do you use Vulkan? I have no idea what it actually is

Its a new API for graphics that batches draw calls so your CPU doesn't have to spend any time on graphics and the GPU can just go solo mostly and the CPU can focus on CPU things.

Bardeh posted:

Google's not helping me...what's the command line argument and where do I put it?

Lemon King posted:

It looks like Vulkan is in via -vulkan command line arg.

Not sure if support is actually in Doom yet though... maybe? Can't hurt to try.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Ugh never mind, I plan on playing this from Hurt Me Plenty onward, get familiar with the maps and secrets and then ramp up difficulty. This is gonna be fun on the bun.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 13, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gropiemon posted:

I guess? I am just comparing the mechanics to the old doom 1-2. This just feels like another generic shooter. While the glory kills are fine I guess they are completely required at higher difficulty because of the health drops. I just want to zip around at breakneck speed, shoot demons and pickup what they drop. That is not this game.

Just turn the difficulty down then you goober?

I'll never understand some goons refusing to play on anything but hardest difficulty and then getting mad its too hard. That's the whole loving reason they have difficulty options. Get over your pride or whatever, its a game. You're here to have fun, not to prove something.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
How complicated is the upgrade system anyway? I know that every gun has, uh two? secondary fire modes you can switch between but is that it for the weapons?

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Just turn the difficulty down then you goober?

I'll never understand some goons refusing to play on anything but hardest difficulty and then getting mad its too hard. That's the whole loving reason they have difficulty options. Get over your pride or whatever, its a game. You're here to have fun, not to prove something.

What the hell are you talking about? I'm not saying it's too hard I'm just not feeling the glory kills and it doesn't feel like they are optional at all. My version of fun doesn't seem to include fatalities in the demon shooter.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

How complicated is the upgrade system anyway? I know that every gun has, uh two? secondary fire modes you can switch between but is that it for the weapons?

Some weapons only have 1 upgrade tree, others have 2. If it has 2 you can press R to swap between them mid-combat on the fly. Each gives you a different right-click alt fire.

Within each tree there are 3 upgrades you purchase which are passive upgrades, and getting all 3 unlocks a 4th. But those are strictly "does more damage" or "bigger explosion area" or "faster reloads", minor passives.

Its not really very complicated at all. The suit upgrades are similarly minor, fun things to collect but nothing do-or-die.

Gropiemon posted:

What the hell are you talking about? I'm not saying it's too hard I'm just not feeling the glory kills and it doesn't feel like they are optional at all. My version of fun doesn't seem to include fatalities in the demon shooter.

The point is they're optional. They do give you bonus health so its harder to go without them, but then you can drop the difficulty to compensate if that's too hard.

Play it on hurt me plenty without glory kills if you would otherwise be playing on UV. That's not that crazy is it?

Why does your version of fun require you to be on the hardest difficulty setting?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mordja posted:

Very, very simple.

I like how the computer has a specific alarm for demonic invasions. Apparently they're common enough that they programmed the computer to expect it.

It's like if they took Doom 3 but purged it of the slow moments and infused it with overwhelming momentum.

You know what this reminds me of? Playing Krieg in Borderlands 2. Which was AWESOME. Your health and ammo keep dipping dangerously low but if you risk getting close to enemies to smash their faces in, you get health back.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Ok I'm sold how does this game run on a 5770

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Gropiemon posted:

No run key
Bitch, D44m has a WALK key.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

Why does your version of fun require you to be on the hardest difficulty setting?
Common sense?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
When I play DOOM 1 and 2 on UV, I can just rack up kills on imps and soldiers with no problem, yes they'll rip chunks of your health, but the gameplay was really straightforward.

Playing DOOM 4 on UV doesn't feel the same, mainly because even a single imp can knock 1/2 or 3/4 of your health and you can't afford to go too crazy on enemies or else you die quicker. So I usually approached enemies one at a time like "shoot them two or three times until they're ready for a glory kill, finish them off, rinse and repeat".

Maybe if I lower the difficulty, I could be a bit riskier, but I want to punish myself with a skill level that's almost not remotely fair.

Hell, Ultra-Nightmare is the downright opposite of fair.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
executions only give pittances of health anyway. You don't need them at all on hard.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

It doesn't, I just don't like that in order to get a large chunk of health pickups I have to do fatalities. I don't like them it turns out!

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Orgophlax posted:

You can get it for $45 on Green Man Gaming with code WATCH25.

Why is it telling me "Voucher not applicable" :(

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Segmentation Fault posted:

It's Nvidia's new graphics API. You can enable it right now with a command line argument. Gonna try it when I get home..

It's the new version of OpenGL actually, and AMD had a far, far stronger hand in its development than Nvidia. It's largely based off of AMD's Mantle API.

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY

Poultron posted:

Anybody with a 760 that can tell me how well the game runs on your rig? I never trust benchmarks.

Woke up early before work this morning and played about 45 minutes of the campaign. Got through the intro areas and everything was pretty smooth after messing with some settings with everything at medium. Then I got to the second map and frame rate was all over the place. I'd say average it was around 40 but could dip down to 30 when looking in a certain direction on the map.

I'm going to try this Vulkan thing (boy, I really don't keep up with new hardware/software stuff anymore) and if that doesn't smooth things up I'll probably just bump it down to 720p. I don't really want to, but smooth framerate is a must in this game.

It should be noted I just have an i5 as well.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Why is it telling me "Voucher not applicable" :(

Buy from cdkeys.com for 34.99 no code needed. I received and redeemed code in steam instantly.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Junior Jr. posted:

When I play DOOM 1 and 2 on UV, I can just rack up kills on imps and soldiers with no problem, yes they'll rip chunks of your health, but the gameplay was really straightforward.

Playing DOOM 4 on UV doesn't feel the same, mainly because even a single imp can knock 1/2 or 3/4 of your health and you can't afford to go too crazy on enemies or else you die quicker. So I usually approached enemies one at a time like "shoot them two or three times until they're ready for a glory kill, finish them off, rinse and repeat".

Maybe if I lower the difficulty, I could be a bit riskier, but I want to punish myself with a skill level that's almost not remotely fair.

Hell, Ultra-Nightmare is the downright opposite of fair.
If you're not constantly moving on Ultra-Violence or higher, you're doing it wrong.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I tried the -vulkan thing in the Steam launch options, and then played the game on my 2nd monitor which is 1600x900. Low Advanced Settings preset, motion blur high, TSSAAx8, chromatic abberation off, and it holds near enough to 60fps or higher to be perfectly, beautifully playable on a 750ti. I leave vsync off because for whatever reason there doesn't seem to be any tearing at all, and so even if it does dip to 50fps or so, it's still nice and smooth. No idea if the Vulkan command line thing is having any effect, though.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 13, 2016

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Do I have to download/remove anything special to enable Vulkan API? Still unsure about how all that works.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Mmm.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I wish it was possible to discuss anything at all on this website without some outspoken LF degenerate or 'alt-right' cocksucker dragging their overwrought bullshit internet culture war into it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I wish it was possible to discuss anything at all on this website without some outspoken LF degenerate or 'alt-right' cocksucker dragging their overwrought bullshit internet culture war into it.

Sure sucks they drove Retard 4 into the ground right?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Bardeh posted:

I tried the -vulkan thing in the Steam launch options, and then played the game on my 2nd monitor which is 1600x900. Low Advanced Settings preset, motion blur high, TSSAAx8, chromatic abberation off, and it holds near enough to 60fps or higher to be perfectly, beautifully playable on a 750ti. I leave vsync off because for whatever reason there doesn't seem to be any tearing at all, and so even if it does dip to 50fps or so, it's still nice and smooth. No idea if the Vulkan command line thing is having any effect, though.
Do you think you can post a screenshot or two with those settings?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gropiemon posted:

It doesn't, I just don't like that in order to get a large chunk of health pickups I have to do fatalities. I don't like them it turns out!

God drat you're being stubborn dude. Do I have to walk you through this?

1 - you think its too hard on UV without using fatalities because it is balanced for the bonuses you get from them
2 - you could lower the difficultly to counter-act the fact that you aren't using fatalities which is an artificial difficulty increase
3 - you refuse to play on anything other than UV because... its the fatalities fault! Why should I have to change the difficulty dagnabbit!

Dude, just... get over it?

I mean if you don't think its too hard without fatalities then why are you complaining. If it is too hard, lower the difficulty. That's what difficulty means. You're just being insanely stubborn about the difficulty while also complaining its too hard the way you play it.

Also

Pomp posted:

executions only give pittances of health anyway. You don't need them at all on hard.

So just get over it?

exquisite tea posted:

Do I have to download/remove anything special to enable Vulkan API? Still unsure about how all that works.

You need a video card that supports it, drivers that support it, and a game that supports it and is configured to use it.

Those three things are probably already the case, although I heard before that they still had to patch in Vulkan support and I'm not sure if that happened already or not.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 13, 2016

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Is there a built in timedemo or benchmark in this game you can access with a console command or something?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Vulkan can't come soon enough for AMD

Anyone else read the AMD driver as "High Quality As gently caress"? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mordja posted:

Do you think you can post a screenshot or two with those settings?

There are a crapload of settings to fiddle around with and I don't know what most of them do or what effect they have on performance. You could probably get it playable at 1080p too, but I'd rather just play at 900 for now until Digital Foundry come out with their analysis, because they normally try most games on their budget build which has a 750ti.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 13, 2016